PDA

View Full Version : Is my boost reading inline?

WA 2 FST
11-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Ok, after installing the Autometer boost gauge and finding a bit of dry pavement, I went out and tried it out. Showed 11psi really quick and then peaked at 12psi in 2nd gear (didn't do any long 3rd gear pulls) once the rpms got above ~4500. Does this seem about right?

I only have a Razor's Edge CAI and a 2lb lower pulley. I realize it was cool and the air was more oxygen dense today than it is on a 95^F day, but I was just curious.

BTW, the stock gauge is pretty darn accurate in my truck. It goes just past 10psi which is where it should be.

Next week it goes to Terry for a 4lb pulley, new plugs (I'm too lazy...gotta watch an expert before I try it the first time), and a heat exchanger w/ puller fan. My A/F ratio above 4500rpm is 11.7:1 right now, so I'm hoping I don't need a retune, but we'll see.

99WhiteBeast
11-03-2004, 10:55 PM
I'd say you're doing good. I only see 11.5 lbs with a 4# and when its cold an additional # or 1.5#.

02BOLT
11-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I used to see right at 12psi on a cool day(50*s or cooler), with a 2lb'er, so you're doing OK.:tu:

BLACKSUNSHINE
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
OK im pretty sure now my Autometer boot guage is OFF. I get 13# with a 4# lower, on a normal day. My guage was a solid consistant 15# this morning with cool weather. AND I have long tube headers, so I should be like 10 or 11#'s not 15. ALSO I installed a boost actuator switch and had the factory preset it 13#'s and when I installed it it never switched on. I had to lower the switch quite a bit to hit 13 pounds and switch on. MY AUTOMETER GUAGE IS OFF, aint that some shiznitz. I need to test it with a boost pressure tool thing (anyone have one?)

WA 2 FST
11-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Your gauge may indeed be off, but you will typically see a bit more boost the cooler (more oxygen dense) the air is. It does not surprise me that it reads higher today than it does when its really warm in the summer.

Tex Arcana
11-04-2004, 02:32 PM
OK im pretty sure now my Autometer boot guage is OFF. I get 13# with a 4# lower, on a normal day. My guage was a solid consistant 15# this morning with cool weather. AND I have long tube headers, so I should be like 10 or 11#'s not 15. ALSO I installed a boost actuator switch and had the factory preset it 13#'s and when I installed it it never switched on. I had to lower the switch quite a bit to hit 13 pounds and switch on. MY AUTOMETER GUAGE IS OFF, aint that some shiznitz. I need to test it with a boost pressure tool thing (anyone have one?)

Better yet, why don't you have the gauge calibrated? I'm sure there's plenty of places that can do a good calibration for not too much money.

You also should remember that the gauge isn't absolute, it is reading pressure relative to atmospheric pressure, so will vary as the barometer varies; so, the gauge will be a rough indication of things only.

StormShadow
11-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Next week it goes to Terry for a 4lb pulley, new plugs (I'm too lazy...gotta watch an expert before I try it the first time), and a heat exchanger w/ puller fan.

Maybe me you and Terry can work something out. I've got a 4lb lower and want to jump up to a 6lber.

WA 2 FST
11-04-2004, 07:29 PM
Which 4lb pulley type do you have? I have Crawford's old 2lb one that is a one-piece design, not the setup where you can swap pulleys on one single hub.

I was just going to buy a new one from Terry with a 4lb ring. I'm planning on being over there after 10am on Tuesday, 11/9.

StormShadow
11-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I have the interchangable from LFP.

Terry where you at?

BLACKSUNSHINE
11-05-2004, 09:25 AM
Your gauge may indeed be off, but you will typically see a bit more boost the cooler (more oxygen dense) the air is. It does not surprise me that it reads higher today than it does when its really warm in the summer.

Sure it should be higher with cooler temps, but I shoudnt hit 15#

BLACKSUNSHINE
11-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Better yet, why don't you have the gauge calibrated? I'm sure there's plenty of places that can do a good calibration for not too much money.

You also should remember that the gauge isn't absolute, it is reading pressure relative to atmospheric pressure, so will vary as the barometer varies; so, the gauge will be a rough indication of things only.

Can you calibrate the autometer boost guage?