PDA

View Full Version : NHRA Roll Bar requirements revisions...

02BOLT
11-03-2004, 10:27 PM
According to some threads over on NLOC and F150online, NHRA has revised its roll bar requirements effective as of Jan 1, 2005 to 11.49 or quicker as oppossed to 11.99 or quicker. This is AWESOME news!!!(not that it applies to me any longer:rolleyes: )

This is especially cool for L owners, seeing as how there's no way to put a cage in these things without cutting the bed up and replacing the rear glass with lexan etc...etc...

They also revised the rules in reference to fire jackets, restraints(harnesses), etc...etc...accordingly.

Just thought a few of you may get a charge out of that little tidbit of info.:tu:

SWEEEEET:burnout:

Sandman
11-03-2004, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen the rule book or where it states that, but I've heard it refers to vehicles that run 11.49 or quicker stock.

02BOLT
11-03-2004, 11:48 PM
The guys over on NLOC and F150 are saying that it applies to ANY vehicle(car or truck), and that this is an effort to get more fast street cars to the track.

TP Derrick D
11-03-2004, 11:58 PM
The guys over on NLOC and F150 are saying that it applies to ANY vehicle(car or truck), and that this is an effort to get more fast street cars to the track.

My car is faster than that, but I sure wish I could have that $1300 duckies back I recently dropped on fire jacket, harness, and Wolfe roll cage. :(

03LightningRocks
11-04-2004, 03:43 PM
This has been going on now for about 8 months...LMAO.

FFW allowed us to run 11.5 and slower without a cage in a Lightning. Problem is that the rules state STOCK. Kenne Bell isn't stock, juice isn't stock, heck...a cold air intake isn't stock.

So if the rules are interpreted literally......nope...no 11's for you(kind of like the soup nazi). NHRA has jack focked this deal up...IMHO.

At the TMMC races, they made me dial up to a 12.0 due to my non-stock super charger. Funny thing is...at the FFW Ennis, they allowed me to run high elevens.

At most of the tracks we ran at this year, the rules allowed 11.5 and above, but I was always worried someone would get me DQed on my non-stock set up.

Rocks:beer:

WA 2 FST
11-04-2004, 04:33 PM
IHRA is 11.49 and under and has been for a long time. I think NHRA is trying to adopt the IHRA rule (even if they spelled it out incorrectly), in order to attract more racers.

If you're going faster than this, the rules are there for a reason. Granted, no one wants to cut up their L, and I agree that it is very hard to do a legal cage and not mess up the truck.

But having raced my 5.0 Mustang for over a decade, I got so tired of hearing the whining at the track. Look, if you don't care about your life, fine. But I do, and I'm racing next to you. Blowproof scattershields, SFI balancers, c-clip eliminators...these things don't just affect _your_ car if something goes wrong and you "got by tech" and don't have them installed. If you don't want to wear a fire jacket or a helmet and your car catches fire, then that's your problem. But some of this other stuff... get it done, or get off the track! I've seen a clutch fly apart and go sideways out from under the car and hit another car. Fortunately it didn't get into the passenger compartment. I've seen more than that. Heck, I lost a driveshaft one time, but had my loop so it saved my arse from far more serious damage.

I would imagine that NHRA will realize their error in semantics and the real meaning of the rule, and as long as you're over 11.49 it will be like IHRA... no cage, no fire jacket, etc.

03LightningRocks
11-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Well....I just visited the NHRA websight. Heck, maybe this is some clarification. They posted thison 11/01/2004. Hopefully, it means what it says. I know the first revision released this past spring seemed to be debated at every NHRA track I went to.

Anyway...here is what it says. Thanks for the heads up Rob.

Adjustment to E.T. requirements
http://www.nhra.com/images/spacer.gifIn a move designed to encourage more street vehicles to compete on the quarter-mile, NHRA has revised its requirements for roll bars, SFI Spec clutches, driveshaft loops, driver restraints, and certain protective clothing.

http://www.nhra.com/images/spacer.gifBeginning Jan. 1, 2005, a roll bar and an SFI 16.1 driver-restraint system will be mandatory on any vehicle running 11.49 or quicker and for convertibles running 13.49 or quicker. An SFI 3.2A/1 jacket will be mandatory for all drivers in vehicles running between 10.00 to 11.49 seconds. On any car running 11.49 or quicker, a flywheel and clutch meeting SFI Spec 1.1 or 1.2 and a flywheel shield meeting SFI Spec 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, or 9.1 will be mandatory. A driveshaft loop will be required on all cars running 13.99 or quicker and utilizing slicks, except vehicles equipped with street tires running 11.49 or slower. Chassis Specs