PDA

View Full Version : Clunk washers: how hard, how much??

Tex Arcana
11-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Okay, I gots to knows: how hard is it to install the clunk washers?? I know they run about $50 for a set (of two??), but I need to know what it takes to install them properly. Also, if it turns out to be something I cannot do, how much does Terry charge to toss them in?

I greatly appreciate the help and info!

Thanks!

blueoval01
11-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Okay, I gots to knows: how hard is it to install the clunk washers?? I know they run about $50 for a set (of two??), but I need to know what it takes to install them properly. Also, if it turns out to be something I cannot do, how much does Terry charge to toss them in?

I greatly appreciate the help and info!

Thanks! John, there are tons of threads here concerning "the clunk" ......
Start here .........
Clunk (http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/herbs_washers.htm)

Tex Arcana
11-09-2004, 01:07 AM
John, there are tons of threads here concerning "the clunk" ......
Start here .........
Clunk (http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/race_prep/suspension/herbs_washers.htm)

Yeah, I know... just looking for "Cliff's Notes" on the pitfalls of the job, really. One thing for sure: I either need to borrow or buy a torque wrench that'll go to 200 ft-lbs (because, irc, the bolt torques are 150-170 ft-lbs?); getting a read on the rest of the tools and the potential for getting in trouble, before I go diving into this.

Just being over-cautious, but I've been bitten enough times to know better. :(

Max Mitchell
11-09-2004, 09:45 AM
I'll give you the info. DL charges $30 plus shipping and he wants you to send him a check before he'll mail them (lame). Call Metco....$25...about $6 UPS 3-day ground and they do it by CREDIT CARD. Next, you only need ONE SET. The install is simple and they only go on the rear side of the driver's side lower control arm. Jack the frame up on the driver's side jack point; remove the wheel; bring a second jack up until it slightly touches under the control arm under the bushing; remove the nut/bolt (washers will stay attached to each and the jack will likely need to be raised slightly to reduce pressure). You'll see exactly where the washers need to go at this point. If you just install the additional 2 clunk washers, you will lose too many threads on the bolt. You can't remove the factory washer on the nut because the nut is designed as an integrated piece. You can remove the factory washer on the bolt; this will give you several more threads to count on. The factory washer on the bolt doesn't come right off, you will need to cut it off by slicing it in two areas on the opposite sides (this is the longest part of the job). Once you're done being pissed at the washer, you just install in reverse using locktite and torque it down to 150ft/lbs. It's very simple and they fit perfectly.

BLACKSUNSHINE
11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
I like the clunk :D . Remindes me its a ford. I've had 3 ford trucks, same body stlye and they all CLUNK like crazy. Mine clunks like the wheel is about to fall off, usually in reverse with the steering spun far left or right.

Tex Arcana
11-10-2004, 04:36 PM
I like the clunk :D . Remindes me its a ford. I've had 3 ford trucks, same body stlye and they all CLUNK like crazy. Mine clunks like the wheel is about to fall off, usually in reverse with the steering spun far left or right.

Yeah, but we already know you're crazy, likely from that dent in your head... :d

99WhiteBeast
11-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Mine only took about 20 minutes to knock out. I guess the ole 99's didn't have the intergrated washer thing because I don't remember that being an issue.

This was my first "mod" and my second was 93 Cobra foglights- Thanks for qaulity one Ford.:rolleyes:

PoorSvtman
11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I need to do this mod on my L and my moms 03 f150 ext cab...

She always asks what that poping noise is when i back out into the street and now hers is starting to do it...