PDA

View Full Version : Monster box went to !@#$

SILVER2000SVT
11-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Let me so how short I can make this...

I had my monster box in for 1 month now. It had a winning noise from when it was first installed. I was told that it was just the torque converter and that it was normal. I took it to the track and on the first run it didn't seem to shift right but it was hard to really tell. On my second run I got a great launch and when it shifting into 2nd it just crapped on itself.

Over the next couple of weeks the shifting just seemed to be getting worse and worse. I finally called Jasper and they had me do a couple of tests. I did a stall test and the first time it broke the wheels over at 2800 RPMS like it was supposed to. The second time the RPM just keep spooling until about 3500 or 4000 and the odometer went to all bars and the truck began to shut down. The third time the tach wrapped around and I heard an awefull noise in the tranny like something breaking apart and the TC locked up and stalled the motor.

That was enough for Jasper to send me out a replacement. So now my truck is at the shop getting my new monster box put in. Hopefully this one will be right....

00Bolt
11-10-2004, 10:55 PM
i remember you telling me when you got it it didnt seem right... at least now you have a brand new one....

99WhiteBeast
11-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Damn that sucks. Even though you get a new one the cost of R&R alone would hurt.

L8 APEX
11-10-2004, 11:53 PM
They are paying for R&R as well, he really came out lucky... Everything he buys used and breaks he just gets new like Craftsman tools:hammer:

SILVER2000SVT
11-11-2004, 02:20 PM
It is cool, because after I told them what it was doing they sent me out the new transmission without any hassle. It will be nice to have a new box in there after these problems, but all I really care about is that is works right and continues to work right.

My stock tranny was working just fine but the shift firmness was slowly slipping away. The reason I bought the monster box was to make sure that I didn't have transmission problems in the future, and to see if I could pick up a tenth or two.

SILVER2000SVT
11-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Well the new one isn't working right...It's slipping on the shift in all gears..

Went through some tests Saturday over the phone with the tech at Jasper. At the pressure port I'm getting about 60PSI at an idle and peaks up to 160PSI before the tires turn over on a stall test, which is what they say I should be getting.
One odd thing that happen was that during the one of the stall tests the odometer went to all bars and the OD light started flashing, but unlike the first transmission this one didn't slip after 2800 RPMS during the stall, but didn't give a trouble code either.

They don't really know what's wrong yet, they told me it's ok to drive on it as long as I'm really easy with it. They want to get the other one back to see what the problem is with that one before they help me out on this new one. That's a little frustrating especially if it turns out that they could have just sent me a valve body or something. It's likely to be the week after next before they even get to it and then get back to fixing the new one that's in the truck now.

In the mean time I used my predator to bump up the shift firmness all the way to minimize any damage that may occur, which hardly helps at all.

ken cryder
11-27-2004, 12:38 AM
who installed it? from the noise you say it made it sounds like the tc was stabbed incorectly , and this will keep the tc from seating all the way up on the pump . in turn will take out the pump shortly.

ken

L8 APEX
11-27-2004, 12:56 AM
I installed both trannies, the old one had the sound of power from day one, the new one is very quiet and smooth, too smooth.

ken cryder
11-27-2004, 03:16 PM
I installed both trannies, the old one had the sound of power from day one, the new one is very quiet and smooth, too smooth.
that's interesting terry . let us know what they find .
thanks

ken

L8 APEX
11-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Jason is dealing with Jasper I am just installing them, lol. He bought the first one sued so we don't know the history on it. This one is smooth shifting they may be doing it on purpose who knows. I can only speak for the ones i build.

SILVER2000SVT
11-27-2004, 07:28 PM
smooth is an understatement....I can count the shift duration in seconds not miliseconds, and the harder I push it the longer the shift. I do have good line pressure and I can get a great lauch with this new one as long as it doesn't have to shift.

SILVER2000SVT
11-30-2004, 02:09 PM
I finally got word on the old tranny. It was a problem with the transmission and that they are covering it. Now for the new one...They are sending out another one next week to replace this latest one.

Three times a charm?????

wesman
11-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Who'd you deal with ? It appears mine too is having trouble on the 1-2. This is a tranny that's been in a little over a year, but has wayyy less than 1k on it.

Gotta love dropping 2k + install and shipping and gettinga big a$$ paperweight

--wes

WA 2 FST
11-30-2004, 02:48 PM
There has GOT to be a better way guys. Seriously, it cannot be that hard for a pro to build a quality trans that will last awhile...even if you're putting all your miles on it 1/4 at a time. GM trannies seem to be better for hard use, but if people can build 1000hp/800tq OD trannies for Mustangs, then they should be able to do it with a beefier trans like the 4R100. Sorry to hear about all the trouble. Makes me think 2x about doing anything more radical with my truck.

DamonH
11-30-2004, 04:15 PM
Seems like MB has been having a lot more issues since Jasper took over. I hope mine works ok when I finally get around to putting it in. :throw:

SILVER2000SVT
11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
Who'd you deal with ? It appears mine too is having trouble on the 1-2. This is a tranny that's been in a little over a year, but has wayyy less than 1k on it.

Gotta love dropping 2k + install and shipping and gettinga big a$$ paperweight

--wes
I have mainly been dealing with the warranty department. Kevin has been exceptionally helpful in taking care me. Just yesterday the sales rep for the area, Dan, called me to find out how the new one was working only to be shocked that it's giving me problems too, so he is the one that is pushing this third one through.

They said that Jasper has only a 2% failure rate on their transmission....I think I'm going to raise that a tick....

L8 APEX
11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
I think you are screwed Wes isn't your a Greg unit? Jason has a Jasper unit they just took over the line recently.. Apparently Jasper can't build them worth a **** either:rll: .