PDA

View Full Version : Race Trucks vs Show Trucks

LonghornLightning
11-12-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm making a website for a class and was wondering if anyone knew of any good text somewhere to give an idea or explanation of each. I'm also curious what categories and events they have... in the races, who's vs who in shows, any help would be much appreciated...and i'm sure you already know there's plenty of lightning's gracing the pages. (Tom's burninout out, tim's sitting) bring on the good versatile pictures...(i should use that one with moonshine's was it? truck filled with sand.)

Thanks in advance guys. Don't worry, my site will post the SRT-10 about....5.4 in the 0-60? hehe

I'll post a link when i'm done...(i'm not what you would call a proficient site maker..this would be the first.)

L1nt2B
11-12-2004, 04:31 PM
hold on now! my L may be one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen but its no trailer queen. I will run it with the best of em...Is it the speed or the beauty that is a byproduct? :D

03LightningRocks
11-12-2004, 05:04 PM
hold on now! my L may be one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen but its no trailer queen. I will run it with the best of em...Is it the speed or the beauty that is a byproduct? :D

I officially accept your challenge :D .

Rocks:evil

L1nt2B
11-12-2004, 05:36 PM
I officially accept your challenge :D .

Rocks:evil
didnt say I would win :rolleyes:

LonghornLightning
11-12-2004, 05:53 PM
don't worry, i'll throw out the term trailer queen...not referring to your truck...muhahah...actually the site is about the versatility of trucks, so I'm having a race truck page, show truck page, work truck page, general specs of trucks, and lots of pics.

here's an idea..."so here's a trailer queen, a sonic blue L owned by Tim, but don't let it fool you, it's still bone stock under the hood, enough to dominate any ricer on the roads." hehe :evil

L1nt2B
11-12-2004, 06:15 PM
don't worry, i'll throw out the term trailer queen...not referring to your truck...muhahah...actually the site is about the versatility of trucks, so I'm having a race truck page, show truck page, work truck page, general specs of trucks, and lots of pics.

here's an idea..."so here's a trailer queen, a sonic blue L owned by Tim, but don't let it fool you, it's still bone stock under the hood, enough to dominate any ricer on the roads." hehe :evil
I think you should get to know my truck a little better before you write something like that. It is far from stock under the hood and ran firm 12:50's last season without the nitrous, which by the way will be ready this season to put her into the 11's. like I said I think the beauty is the byproduct of performance. :tu:

Sandman
11-12-2004, 06:47 PM
I think you should get to know my truck a little better before you write something like that. It is far from stock under the hood and ran firm 12:50's last season without the nitrous, which by the way will be ready this season to put her into the 11's. like I said I think the beauty is the byproduct of performance. :tu:
Hmmm... Dru,

I think you should take him up on swapping out trucks for a week. See what it can do!:evil

tliss
11-12-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm making a website for a class and was wondering if anyone knew of any good text somewhere to give an idea or explanation of each. I'm also curious what categories and events they have... in the races, who's vs who in shows, any help would be much appreciated...and i'm sure you already know there's plenty of lightning's gracing the pages. (Tom's burninout out, tim's sitting) bring on the good versatile pictures...(i should use that one with moonshine's was it? truck filled with sand.)

Thanks in advance guys. Don't worry, my site will post the SRT-10 about....5.4 in the 0-60? hehe

I'll post a link when i'm done...(i'm not what you would call a proficient site maker..this would be the first.)
One word sums up what a show truck is....RED. All other colors are race trucks :evil

Tom

03LightningRocks
11-12-2004, 07:31 PM
One word sums up what a show truck is....RED. All other colors are race trucks :evil

Tom

:tu: :tu: :tu:

SpeedyBolt
11-12-2004, 07:35 PM
My RED truck is the perfect example of the versatility of these, or any, trucks! It looks good, runs damn good, and if you look in my bed you will see that I defintly haul stuff back there!

LonghornLightning
11-12-2004, 09:00 PM
sounds good, haha yeah I was just giving ya a hard time Tim, I can't rag on a blue truck..so we've got red's that don't race.....hahah ;) thanks for the pics for sure guys

L8 APEX
11-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Just post up video of Rob's truck. The best of everything for show and go. Never before has anyone built engine, KB, Brembos HRE's, and $500 gas door on one truck. Show winner yes, fastest gen2 11.30's @120mph in Talon for a long time yes:tu: .

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Left_profile1.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Rob_s_profile.jpg

Alpine
11-12-2004, 09:32 PM
hold on now! my L may be one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen but its no trailer queen. I will run it with the best of em...Is it the speed or the beauty that is a byproduct? :DYour L is beautiful,but if it had some smaller front wheels it wouldnt look like a roller skate. you really need some 18x9's up front. No flame here, like I said you have a beautiful truck.

L1nt2B
11-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Your L is beautiful,but if it had some smaller front wheels it wouldnt look like a roller skate. you really need some 18x9's up front. No flame here, like I said you have a beautiful truck.
Yes I know...Im hoping when its time for Aggie mom to get new rubber she would be willing to trade up with me...then we would both have a perfect set.

Alpine
11-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Yes I know...Im hoping when its time for Aggie mom to get new rubber she would be willing to trade up with me...then we would both have a perfect set.I know you got a great deal on your wheels and if Cathy would do that, that would be sweet and both of you would be hooked up.:tu:

L8 APEX
11-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes I know...Im hoping when its time for Aggie mom to get new rubber she would be willing to trade up with me...then we would both have a perfect set.Keep dreaming:rll: She won't run staggered wheels because you can't rotate tires for wear and she doesn't run DR's so the stock 295's would look funny on 10's. Just buy two wheels you cheap arse or find someone to split a set of four 9's.

99WhiteBeast
11-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Rob's truck was the shiz but I doubt he ever hauled anything besides ass:evil

Drew, check some pics in my gallery or I can furnish you more if you like.

I've hauled, towed, off roaded in the big bend area, 4x4'd in muddy pastures, drag raced, road raced, autocrossed, but never showed. The versatilty of these trucks is awesome.

That was Ken Cryders truck with the dirt in the bed and Moonshine has the big bail of hay in his although the photo looked suspect:rolleyes:

What you really need is Doug's burnout with the ditch witch trailer- that's impressive.:bows

L8 APEX
11-12-2004, 11:00 PM

I've hauled, towed, off roaded in the big bend area, 4x4'd in muddy pastures, drag raced, road raced, autocrossed, but never showed. The versatilty of these trucks is awesome.

That was Ken Cryders truck with the dirt in the bed and Moonshine has the big bail of hay in his although the photo looked suspect:rolleyes:

What you really need is Doug's burnout with the ditch witch trailer- that's impressive.:bows No sir worng Ken not Kryder.

L1nt2B
11-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I don't know, I really don't think it looks that bad :rolleyes: at least not worth the price of 2-new wheels to do anything about it but I sure don't think a 295/45/18 looks funny on a 10...looks just fine to me :tu:

L8 APEX
11-12-2004, 11:24 PM
They fit you perfect be happy and never change! Come get your billet hood strut covers! FREE!

Sandman
11-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey Dru,

You might be interested in some of the pics here
http://www.grimy.org/~sandman/pics/?path=.%2FDynoDay

Silver_2000
11-12-2004, 11:59 PM

What you really need is Doug's burnout with the ditch witch trailer- that's impressive.:bows
LOL - Glad you liked it

The moonshine shot is real - Brian doesnt do photoshop and he has the acreage to justify the hay...

my2002lightning
11-13-2004, 12:26 AM
I wish I had pics/video of this... we've hauled a ton of stuff in the L from Akron, OH to Champaign, IL to Plano, TX. The whole back and front of the L full of our gear.

I'm driving the U-Haul monster with Elaine's T-Bird on the car hauler and Elaine's driving the loaded L. We're bored and talking back and forth on the Motorolas.

FLAT COUNTRY with straight interstates with no one in sight in southern IL/western MO.

The L is LOADED and looks like it's slammed with a Roush suspension with me in right lane at 60 mph.

With encouragement, Elaine hangs way back and pulls a sling-shot 100mph+ fly-by past me!

Go, Sweetie! knana Nothing beats seeing your own L hauling @ss past you.

I believe Ivanhoe_Farms/Milton has some L-related ranch-hand pics in his gallery, too.

If I'm lucky this year, I plan on taking my trophy OK. white-tail buck to check-in in the back of the L. knana

Ronald

LonghornLightning
11-13-2004, 12:41 AM
a buck in the L = quality

Silver_2000
11-13-2004, 12:50 AM
Heres another work shot or 3

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/6007/442P7278020dougand-garretstruc.jpg

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/trailer/500lbsgravel.jpg

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/trailer/trailertracks.jpg

Finally the mov file of the burnout
http://talonclub.com/movies/trailerburnout.mpg

02BOLT
11-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Rob's truck was the shiz but I doubt he ever hauled anything besides ass.
Say Beeach! I hauled lots of stuff in my L.......slicks, runners, jack, wrenches, 4-way, lugs, and cleaning supplies.:evil Everything a fella needed to roll out to the trizack, crizack a 'lil izass, load back up and roll back home.

I never towed anything with her, but she sure did drag a lot of fast cars.:d

tliss
11-13-2004, 10:59 AM
We need to find some pics of Terry Hogg's trucks on the way up to LightningFest. His Gen 2 hauling his Gen 1 up to Topeka was pretty cool. That is the perfect example of the work truck hauling the race truck!

At this point I wish I would have taken some pics of my truck when I hitched it to a twin axle U-Haul carrying 4000 lbs of ceramic tile across Texas. I was really impressed with the Lightning's ability to tow, and especially impressed with the U-Haul's ability to go 90+!

Tom

bobbywade69
11-13-2004, 02:03 PM
I think Jeff has some video of me doing some 4x4 in the L going home from dyno day!!! And who doesn't say RED Lightnings don't race I have over 154 time slips and trophes to prove it!!!!!!:evil

LonghornLightning
11-13-2004, 06:10 PM
I've never been to a truck show, would anyone mind explaining what it's like...or at least what "categories" they award prizes for, how it works...how they judge, how many people? thanks for the pics doug

I keep searching google to find articles, but all I keep finding is truck show dates and massive amounts of pictures. ;(

L1nt2B
11-13-2004, 07:01 PM
OK its like this, in a local show the truck classes are usually by year 60's 70's 80's 00's and are some times broke down into categories like street, mild and wild depending on how much body work and what not. These shows are typically participant vote but the bigger ones will be judged usually by the host club members.

In a ISCA event you are put into a class by the judges before the show and the classes are similar to a local show, just not as many. then you are judged. The same is true for non ISCA national events like FFW or THW.

In almost every show I have been in there are 2-awards for each class, class award and class winner then there might be a best of show from all the truck classes.

My advice would be to go to a couple of shows and see how it works.
Gasolinealley.com will give you a list of all the local shows and I would be happy to go with you to show ya how its done. Not to brag but I have won class winner or best of show at nearly every show that I have been to this year and I know what the judges are looking for...main thing is be clean!

LonghornLightning
11-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks a lot Tim. I'd be glad to go when I get back in the xmas break/summer months. The only thing i've ever been to was just the car tent at the fair just displaying cars..(not even a show..just cars in a shop) and I thought that was interesting when I was little, so I can't imagine what some of those trucks look like.

LonghornLightning
11-13-2004, 09:29 PM
http://webspace.utexas.edu/sdb399/www

Here's a rough copy, I still have 2 weeks to do the buttons/logos/etc, but I had to get most of the content on the site by sunday. I appear to be a little biased in the L favor. ;p

TP Derrick D
11-13-2004, 10:04 PM
For all you candy pants , I too have used my L as a work truck .Never out in the sticks and never will unless its life or death. But I have hauled my Stang to Fun Ford in 02 & 04, Some of you may have saw me this year since I cruised by JDM tent at least 3 -4 times.And pull a Taruas to Alabama ,twice and back once. Also pulled a loaded 8x12 U-haul trailer to Alabama.I don't run my truck (at the track) as much because I got a Stang for that. But the 20 or so times I have run the 1320 I did OK for a stock truck. I have also entered a few car shows got several trophies and plaques to prove it. Some of you may remember L fest '03 2nd place stock class,also last years Martin HS cheerleaders 2nd place, truck class. 1st place in '01 Payton-Wright Ford truck class,and several smaller events. I'm sure I could compete with most L's that haven't put a ton of money in them but its semi-retired .5 years old and 55,000+ miles and top speed sprints takes a toll on the paint job.I will bring it out when necessary tho. :evil

L1nt2B
11-14-2004, 07:46 PM
not bad...but Ive got a lot of much better pics here
http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/mygallery.ten-id-1545-album-1
dont forget to look in the shows album

Silver_2000
11-14-2004, 08:01 PM
http://webspace.utexas.edu/sdb399/www

Here's a rough copy, I still have 2 weeks to do the buttons/logos/etc, but I had to get most of the content on the site by sunday. I appear to be a little biased in the L favor. ;pThe site looks good for a rough start

Looks like you are using web software to modify the picture sizes. It makes them look like crap - The pic of mine and garrets truck is a perfect example. You need to decide what size you want the pic to be and use graphics software to resize it. Then paste that pic into the page. If you try to resize it by editing after the fact it in frontpage or other web software it screws up the look of the pic.

Wen the truck looks wider and shorter than it should thats a giveaway. You also tend to gets lots of jaggy lines on the pictures.

If you are running XP you can find a powertoy for XP that will let you resize by simply right clicking on the picture

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

It also helps to alter the properies of the page to update the Title of the page
Now it says Untitled Document. You just need to change this tag to something else <title>Untitled Document</title>

Hope this helps

Doug

One more note - Serif fonts are tough for some people to read on the web. Many web pages are done with cleaner fonts - Arial for example

SpeedyBolt
11-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Something that you forgot to put on the page is the Cylone. Not sure what year it came out but I think it was the one that started the factory performance truck.

LonghornLightning
11-14-2004, 09:36 PM
yea, thanks doug, i've got a week or so to mess around with that so I can clean the pictures up. Yeah I thought about the cyclone but I wasn't sure how many were made and the site isn't that important, which i'm sure you can tell just by looking at the site. Thanks for the help, hopefully this bad boy gets me an A. He said I could just cruise and not do anything for an easy strong B, but if I try on the website, I get an A. :nana2

PS: I've been driving the monster in this cold weather, the response is just stronger/harder. :burnout:

SpeedyBolt
11-14-2004, 09:52 PM
Oh, by the way, the page would look ALOT better if the background was MAROON not that ugly-ass orange! :rll: :rll: :rll:

Tex Arcana
11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
The site looks good for a rough start

Looks like you are using web software to modify the picture sizes. It makes them look like crap - The pic of mine and garrets truck is a perfect example. You need to decide what size you want the pic to be and use graphics software to resize it. Then paste that pic into the page. If you try to resize it by editing after the fact it in frontpage or other web software it screws up the look of the pic.

Wen the truck looks wider and shorter than it should thats a giveaway. You also tend to gets lots of jaggy lines on the pictures.

If you are running XP you can find a powertoy for XP that will let you resize by simply right clicking on the picture

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

It also helps to alter the properies of the page to update the Title of the page
Now it says Untitled Document. You just need to change this tag to something else <title>Untitled Document</title>

Hope this helps

Doug

One more note - Serif fonts are tough for some people to read on the web. Many web pages are done with cleaner fonts - Arial for example

Best place in the world to find out how NOT to build a website: www.webpagesthatsuck.com LOADS of info on how to make a good website, and lots of examples of the worst. :tu:

sonicbluetommy
11-16-2004, 01:37 PM
Here are a few good hauling pics.

Mine with about 1200lbs of CO2 tanks:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12430&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

My truck with a 3rd place trophy from L-fest after running the drag strip for 2 days and then running the open track after the car show:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12340&sort=1&cat=500&page=8

One from L-fest 04 hauling a Bondurant Mustang from the open track sessions:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12430&sort=1&cat=500&page=2