PDA

View Full Version : Help me please with this 2001 Lightning

jim woods
11-13-2004, 09:12 PM
I am helping a friend, who is non computer/internet user, purchase a 2001 Lightning
Here are the details of the truck:

Red 2001 Lightning, 20k miles, Garage kept
20" Chrome Elite Impeller rims, 295/40/20 Kuhmo tires. Approx 4k miles on the tires
JDM Kooks headers, high flow cats, Bassani Catback Exhaust
JL 3lb Pulley
Bed Rug and stock tonneau
Pioneer Permier Radio and Alpine Type R speakers
Tinted side windows
Carriage Works Billet Grills
Lowered 1.5"
Remote start, Lojack

Overall the truck is a nice but not like mint or surperb. Is there anything in description that would seam not right?Also the truck is in state where they DO NOT DO emission test? DO you think this truck would PASS emission test in Dallas, Texas?

They are asking 21K but I believe the owner will take 19.5K
What do people think about the price? 21K too high? If the seller does not take 19.5k, do you think 21K is high? 21k seams good.

Also do any of you know anyone selling a 2001-2003 Lightning that is loaded with mods (Custom wheels,intake/exhaust,chip Ect.) Preferable in the Dallas/FTW area? Must be under 20 thousand miles and mint condition. Reasonable priced. Serious buyer with funds ready. Thanks

WA 2 FST
11-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Vehicles that are 1996 and newer do not have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test, even in Dallas County. They must pass an OBD-II diagnostics test, meaning they plug a code scanner into the diagnostic port. If they run the test and there are no codes, he's good to go. Most shops do not even do a detailed visual inspection, and assuming he still has cats, I don't think they'd care a bit about the headers.

jim woods
11-13-2004, 09:41 PM
So, the mods he has on the truck will not set a code right? The mods do not effect OBD II test?

99WhiteBeast
11-13-2004, 09:42 PM
The price does not seem bad. Buying a used modded Lightning from a unknown person = buyer beware. Some people have been fortunate on their purchase while others have not.

Some of the 01's have a known trans issue on some of the earlier builds.

Here's a few I would check out:
http://nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81988 (02 with 14k in TX)

http://nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81909 (01 with 43k in Houston)

If it was me buying a used lightning I would stick to a 99/00 or just belly up with more coin and get a new one.

jim woods
11-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Ok thanks Whitebeast for the E-mail. Very helpfull. We did find this Lightning off a another state Lightning owners club.

Also, I been using this board alot to get all kinds of info. I would like to send a check or memebership fee to whoever runs this board. I do not use paypall.The check is drawn at a Washington Mutual Bank so the webmaster can cash it there in person if he wants.How much is it and what address do I send check to?

WA 2 FST
11-13-2004, 10:22 PM
Jim,

I don't know if the Kooks headers are long-tubes or not. Sometimes LT headers can cause the front O2 sensors (the ones that monitor engine function and are used to help the PCM deliver a good emissions-friendly A/F ratio) to react slower than they should, even after they warm up. But if tuned properly, this shouldn't be an issue and the truck has hi-flow cats, so the rear O2 sensors should not throw a code.

The problem is that someone selling a truck privately could erase the codes, and unless you drive it enough miles, the Check Engine light might not come on until after you've written the check and exchanged the title.

So there's a potential issue if someone was shady. It wouldn't keep me from purchasing the truck if that's the truck your friend wants. You can usually spot a seller who is hiding something through conversation or how they act. Just ask pointed questions about the mods, and if the truck has a history of throwing codes.

Tex Arcana
11-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Some of the 01's have a known trans issue on some of the earlier builds.

What are the issues?

Silver_2000
11-15-2004, 03:41 PM
Kooks are long tubes - I have them - as Wes stated its all about the ODB II codes

NO codes and you pass...

Doug

PoorSvtman
11-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Vehicles that are 1996 and newer do not have to pass a tailpipe sniffer test, even in Dallas County. They must pass an OBD-II diagnostics test, meaning they plug a code scanner into the diagnostic port. If they run the test and there are no codes, he's good to go. Most shops do not even do a detailed visual inspection, and assuming he still has cats, I don't think they'd care a bit about the headers.

The above info is correct... Any other inspection questions id be happy to answer them. By the way im a state inspector....

Also even if you fail the obdII test you can opt for the roller test/sniffer test. Friend had to do that with his camed trans am. For some reason his car wouldnt run certain codes. I tried for months and it would run it.