PDA

View Full Version : Drag wheels/tires I can drive to the track with?

SonicBlueSVT
11-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Subject says it all. I'd like to be able to find a set of wheels/tires for drag racing, but the catcher is I'd like to be able to drive to the track with them on the truck and not have to worry about changing them out at the track. I did this on my 2000 Formula I use to own for about 6 months with no problem and hopefully the same can be done with the L.

Is a 15" wheel/tire combo the best to go with? For the rear tires I'd like to possibly run some BFG drag radials since I use to pull 1.6fts with them all day long in the Formula. Does that sound like a bad idea? I'm sure I could do good in the L and they are also great to drive with on the street. Now for the fronts I really don't know what I'd use. Any suggestions on wheel size and tire size would be greatly appreciated.

Terry, can you get me a wheel/tire combo that can do what I'm asking?!?!

Thanks.

wesman
11-14-2004, 11:18 PM
If I recall the rear need 16's to clear the brakes. You can drive to the track with stock wheels and mounted drag radials, a lot of folks run them all the time. I know I play on running DR's on the rear full time.

--wes

03LightningRocks
11-14-2004, 11:47 PM
First.........welcome to the club:beer: .

Something to consider about the wheels....most of the folks I know that drive to the track with drag radials, or what ever, are doing it because the car doesn't provide suffecient room for hauling tires and jacks.

That big hole behind the cab works pretty good for this....;) . So get you some slicks and run wit da big dawgs.

As for the 15 inch wheels, it can be done, but you have to shave off some of the calipers to do it.

Rocks:nana2

BC Lightning
11-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Speaking of running with the big dawgs....... I'll be calling you on tuesday to pick the slicks up. I'll be getting the skinnies at the TALON Classic :tu:

L8 APEX
11-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Either Nitto 18" DRs on stock rims or full out slicks on 16"s. You have to grind the piss out of the rear calipers to clear 15's. You have to get deep in the 11's to benefit from a 15" setup.

03LightningRocks
11-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Either Nitto 18" DRs on stock rims or full out slicks on 16"s. You have to grind the piss out of the rear calipers to clear 15's. You have to get deep in the 11's to benefit from a 15" setup.
I would agree with this 100%!!!!! I had no problems with hooking up using the Hoosier 10x16x28's, untill I started hitting the mid elevens. Now I slip on darn near every launch....I've gotten tired of rolling into the throttle....I want the good days back. When I could rev her up to 2100 Rpm's and then smack the sh!t out of the throttle on green......:D .

Get your grinder warmed up T....LOL.

Rocks:beer:

03LightningRocks
11-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Speaking of running with the big dawgs....... I'll be calling you on tuesday to pick the slicks up. I'll be getting the skinnies at the TALON Classic :tu:
Sounds good........give me a call about an hour or so ahead so I can be there....I should be around the house finishing up the remodel work....but may be doing my daily Home Depot trip.

Rocks:beer:

SonicBlueSVT
11-15-2004, 01:40 AM
Well, I guess 16" wheels it is! I had to grind the crap out of the calipers on the Formula and I definitely don't want to have to do that again :nono:

So knowing that, which wheels do you guys recommend? I'm wanting to run skinnys up front and I guess a 16x10 in the rear with some hoosiers? It seems like some people are running Bogarts and others Weld. What size fronts are most people running along with the tire?

Thanks again.

BC Lightning
11-15-2004, 02:09 AM
will do uncle rocks:beer: , i get out of class around 3:15, so i should come pick them up 5-5:30ish depending on traffic

03LightningRocks
11-15-2004, 02:13 AM
Well, I guess 16" wheels it is! I had to grind the crap out of the calipers on the Formula and I definitely don't want to have to do that again :nono:

So knowing that, which wheels do you guys recommend? I'm wanting to run skinnys up front and I guess a 16x10 in the rear with some hoosiers? It seems like some people are running Bogarts and others Weld. What size fronts are most people running along with the tire?

Thanks again.
For the rears, Hoosier makes a 16x10x28 slick.....that's the only option they have. I like the welds. My rears are a 16x9....actually 16x8....sorry about that.;)

As for front skinnies.....good luck with that one in the 16's. My fronts are a 16x7 weld....but they only make a 16x8 now. 7" wide tires aren't technically skinnies...but it's about the only choice. One nice thing about the 7 or 8 inch fronts, is you can drive around with these on the truck....just don't get to wild in the turns. I am going to the 15" bogarts so I can get some true skinnies for the front. These are not even close to being good on the street.

Terry has gotten a pretty good buy on the American racing wheels....maybe you can check with him on some of these.

SonicBlueSVT
11-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the info! I've got a message into Terry to see what he can come up with.