PDA

View Full Version : 05 Mustang GT 1/4=13.6

sonicbluetommy
11-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Just got thru reading about the new mustang.... :eek: 13.6 second 1/4 mile at 99.9 mph stock......and that was the automatic. The mag said the standard should be 3 to 4 tenths faster. :eek2:

They also raved about the new handling and in general loved it.

So watch out stock L's a new mustang may show you it's taillights.

StormShadow
11-19-2004, 09:36 PM
I'll take a Saleen.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Saleen2-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12838&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

TP Derrick D
11-19-2004, 10:39 PM
I'll take a Saleen.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Saleen2-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12838&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

Adam, I get mine first!!!!You know I'm the Mustang man 'round here. :d
But I'll give you a ride if your shoes 'R clean :d

TreeFiddy
11-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Just got thru reading about the new mustang.... :eek: 13.6 second 1/4 mile at 99.9 mph stock......and that was the automatic. The mag said the standard should be 3 to 4 tenths faster. :eek2:

They also raved about the new handling and in general loved it.

So watch out stock L's a new mustang may show you it's taillights.

0-60 quicker than a Lotus Elise? I hope the car is as good as they say, but it sounds like :Bullshit to me.

Motor Trend tested the Mach 1 manual at 13.8@103 and the Camaro SS at 13.5@107. I have yet to see a vid of one cracking 14 seconds.

StormShadow
11-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Derrick how bout this one?

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Stang2-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12839&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

00Bolt
11-20-2004, 11:41 AM
heres one with SC and stuff already

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4505721763&category=6236

skalywags
11-20-2004, 01:13 PM
that one on ebay should could have done ith out the stickers. If you go to saleen.com that have the inveiling of the S281. It had a different spoiler that the one in the picture above. The one in the picture here looks a little better IMO.

TP Derrick D
11-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Derrick how bout this one?

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Stang2-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=12839&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

Adam, That one looks hot also. Looking at the features and the front end that looks like it may be a Cobra or Mach/Bullitt edition,if its Ford factory.
It could also be from Rousch. You know its got to be bad a$$ for me. By the way I got to take you for a 'lil o joy ride in my Stang. :burnout:

StormShadow
11-20-2004, 07:31 PM
By the way I got to take you for a 'lil o joy ride in my Stang. :burnout:
D, give me a call sometime. I'd love to ride in your Stang.

03'svtlight
11-20-2004, 07:41 PM
I'll take a Saleen.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! The only problem is Saleens are abit (and always has been ) on the high side, price-wise. However, he NEVER fails to create a very sexy mustang. I still believe the SNAKE is gonna be the one. If Ford is looking over their shoulder at the ZO6, then the cobra should be in the 500hp range and priced just shy of 40 grand. Thats where Mr. Saleen is gonna have his problems. No-one in their right mind would spend $50k+ on a mustang when they could have ZO6 for the same dough. BTW, I'm goin' drinkin witcha soon home-boy. :cool:

PoorSvtman
11-20-2004, 09:29 PM
I realy like the new mustangs... Ive been eying them alot lately. Im afraid if i go test drive one ill want one and trade the L in...

StormShadow
11-20-2004, 10:20 PM
http://www.cervinis.com/images/elenrteasr.jpg

Cervinis Eleanor kit

TP Derrick D
11-20-2004, 10:23 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! The only problem is Saleens are abit (and always has been ) on the high side, price-wise. However, he NEVER fails to create a very sexy mustang. I still believe the SNAKE is gonna be the one. If Ford is looking over their shoulder at the ZO6, then the cobra should be in the 500hp range and priced just shy of 40 grand. Thats where Mr. Saleen is gonna have his problems. No-one in their right mind would spend $50k+ on a mustang when they could have ZO6 for the same dough. BTW, I'm goin' drinkin witcha soon home-boy. :cool:

I don't know about some people,BUT, Saleen sells all the Saleens he can build.
so somebody would spend that kind of money. To include me. True story: :ron: A friend of mine had a '95 Mustang ,was beating all the hi dollar cars. Raced a Viper,beat it but split his block. Sold the Stang with split block, bought a Z-06, got his a$$ kicked so bad by Mustangs he traded it in.We tease him all the time about how he use to race and beat "others" with his Stang ,what make him think a Z-06 won't get beat by the same cars(Mustangs) he was rolling with. Especially when he knew what the deal was. :confused: The car was sold by Chad to Carl,Carl rebuilt the engine and still got it today.Both guys are friends and part of my crew.A couple of TALON guys have met them.

TP Derrick D
11-20-2004, 10:30 PM
http://www.cervinis.com/images/elenrteasr.jpg

Cervinis Eleanor kit
The company in Addison(I forgot the name) that build Eleanor's was on Rides a couple weeks / a month ago showing how they are built. Jason Giambi,1st baseman for the Yankees was on there buying one.They showed his the top of the line Supersnake being built and the basic Eleanor. You can tell the difference by the Stripes.

03'svtlight
11-20-2004, 10:58 PM
I don't know about some people,BUT, Saleen sells all the Saleens he can build.
so somebody would spend that kind of money. To include me. True story: :ron: A friend of mine had a '95 Mustang ,was beating all the hi dollar cars. Raced a Viper,beat it but split his block. Sold the Stang with split block, bought a Z-06, got his a$$ kicked so bad by Mustangs he traded it in.We tease him all the time about how he use to race and beat "others" with his Stang ,what make him think a Z-06 won't get beat by the same cars(Mustangs) he was rolling with. Especially when he knew what the deal was. :confused: The car was sold by Chad to Carl,Carl rebuilt the engine and still got it today.Both guys are friends and part of my crew.A couple of TALON guys have met them.
Im refering to showroom stuff.........Anybody can build a motor an go whip some arse..... Stock for stock, either go get a viper or hang it up, you're not gonna beat a ZO6... Not even an 03'-04' cobra.....

TP Derrick D
11-20-2004, 11:54 PM
Im refering to showroom stuff.........Anybody can build a motor an go whip some arse..... Stock for stock, either go get a viper or hang it up, you're not gonna beat a ZO6... Not even an 03'-04' cobra.....
Stock? whats that?
I hear ya man. I guess I'm just so use to all the guys I hang with running hotted up street Stangs. I forget. My bad.
But back to stock,even pretty much all the guys on THIS board have done things to their trucks to try and go faster than the next guy.

WA 2 FST
11-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Not to mention whatever you mod the Stang with, its a straight line car and that's 99% it. That doesn't make it bad, but please... let's compare apples to apples, and don't give me the "if I had 15-20k to modify my Mustang" line. That is just whining. If you want a balls-to-the-wall drag car, you wouldn't buy a Vette anyway. IRS is not where its at, even '03+ Cobra owners going REALLY fast will tell you that.

There hasn't been a Mustang created by Ford designed to compete with the Corvette. If you don't believe me, go ask a Ford executive or engineer. That doesn't make the Mustang bad. I've owned plenty and enjoyed them all.

The '05 Mustang that Motor Trend tested also ran 13.6 @ 99.9mph, and was an automatic. This is probably the same test discussed here except just a different mag reporting. The stick will NOT be .3-.4 faster, as the significantly improved 5-speed automatic will make it a closer race with a stick than ever before.

Even if the stick runs low-13s @ 102mph, call me unimpressed with the power-plant. A bone stock 6-yr old F-body would beat that.

That being said the new Mustang "looks" great. I'm sure the fit and finish, ride quality, and handling is vastly improved as well. The Cobra should be a cool car.

SpeedyBolt
11-21-2004, 03:59 PM
I heard the reason they are expecting the stick to be so much quicker is the automatics very deep 4th, and 5th overdrive. I heard it pulls very hard through 1st,2nd,and 3rd but when it shifts into 4th it falls on its face! I guess that could be fixed with a stall though!

TP Derrick D
11-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Not to mention whatever you mod the Stang with, its a straight line car and that's 99% it. That doesn't make it bad, but please... let's compare apples to apples, and don't give me the "if I had 15-20k to modify my Mustang" line. That is just whining. If you want a balls-to-the-wall drag car, you wouldn't buy a Vette anyway. IRS is not where its at, even '03+ Cobra owners going REALLY fast will tell you that.

There hasn't been a Mustang created by Ford designed to compete with the Corvette. If you don't believe me, go ask a Ford executive or engineer. That doesn't make the Mustang bad. I've owned plenty and enjoyed them all.

The '05 Mustang that Motor Trend tested also ran 13.6 @ 99.9mph, and was an automatic. This is probably the same test discussed here except just a different mag reporting. The stick will NOT be .3-.4 faster, as the significantly improved 5-speed automatic will make it a closer race with a stick than ever before.

Even if the stick runs low-13s @ 102mph, call me unimpressed with the power-plant. A bone stock 6-yr old F-body would beat that.

That being said the new Mustang "looks" great. I'm sure the fit and finish, ride quality, and handling is vastly improved as well. The Cobra should be a cool car.

I see you got a Z06 so you defend it, I got a Mustang I defend it. :cool:

WA 2 FST
11-21-2004, 05:45 PM
No, I've driven and owned both. My opinion is objective and honest. If I said the Z06 is a better car for drag racing, then I would be lying. It's not. The IRS is tough to launch from a dead-stop. One of the absolute best cars to modify to drag race is a solid-axle Fox-3 Mustang.

Even the hint that the majority of Mustangs (no matter the vintage) can outrun a stock Z06 from a roll, or even on the dragstrip, is naive at best. Sure, this is the case if you go to FFW. But that is by far the minority of owners.

I owned and competitively raced a 5.0 Mustang at the strip way back when the class I was in was called Street/Outlaw (that class has, of course, split). I know what a hopped up Mustang can do. I built one. With a drag suspension it would have run high-9s through cats. It was an awesome car. I've helped others build and tune theirs. I have friends who road race them, and several own C5/Z06 cars as well. To get a Mustang to perform even close to one of these on anything but a straight strip of asphalt takes serious $$ and an even better driver.

If your friend had a '95 Mustang that was beating a lot of fast cars (Vipers, etc) then obviously a stock Z06 would not be fast to him. That's a no-brainer. Don't blame it on the car. If he'd bought a stock '03-04 Cobra (or even the '06 Cobra that will come) it wouldn't be fast to hm, either.

TP Derrick D
11-22-2004, 01:12 PM
No, I've driven and owned both. My opinion is objective and honest. If I said the Z06 is a better car for drag racing, then I would be lying. It's not. The IRS is tough to launch from a dead-stop. One of the absolute best cars to modify to drag race is a solid-axle Fox-3 Mustang.

Even the hint that the majority of Mustangs (no matter the vintage) can outrun a stock Z06 from a roll, or even on the dragstrip, is naive at best. Sure, this is the case if you go to FFW. But that is by far the minority of owners.

I owned and competitively raced a 5.0 Mustang at the strip way back when the class I was in was called Street/Outlaw (that class has, of course, split). I know what a hopped up Mustang can do. I built one. With a drag suspension it would have run high-9s through cats. It was an awesome car. I've helped others build and tune theirs. I have friends who road race them, and several own C5/Z06 cars as well. To get a Mustang to perform even close to one of these on anything but a straight strip of asphalt takes serious $$ and an even better driver.

If your friend had a '95 Mustang that was beating a lot of fast cars (Vipers, etc) then obviously a stock Z06 would not be fast to him. That's a no-brainer. Don't blame it on the car. If he'd bought a stock '03-04 Cobra (or even the '06 Cobra that will come) it wouldn't be fast to hm, either.

I agree.
One last thing tho,most of the Vette owners I've run across seem to think that because they have a mighty Vette and I got a lowly Mustang the Vette gonna win so I make it my mission to embarrass every one I can that have that additude. Just like I said once before when we were discussing "getting owned" in another thread.I know my car limit and no way do I think it will out run a non steet legal trailer car.I only deal with street legal cars.

WA 2 FST
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, having owned and raced my 5.0 Mustang for 12 years. I remember humbling a ZR-1 on the highway (which is where they are best), a number of Vipers (mostly stockers) at the track and most oftentimes their owners were complete jerks.

There are a lot of dumbarses out there with too much money to know anything, and too little class to be respectful...thinking their car is so awesome just b/c they can write a big check.

I don't let it bother me anymore. I don't have anything to prove. But you are right... typical C5 owners are idiots who don't even know what a spark plug is, or how to change their oil, much less work on the vehicle themselves. Getting beat by a "lesser" (in their eyes) car that was put together by the owner is humbling.

00Bolt
11-22-2004, 01:33 PM
derrick, iv heard so much about the stang, yet iv never stoped by and seen it, guess i may have to one of these days since you live so far from me (whole .5 mile)

anyway, just curious... what does that thing run in the 1/4

TP Derrick D
11-22-2004, 07:31 PM
derrick, iv heard so much about the stang, yet iv never stoped by and seen it, guess i may have to one of these days since you live so far from me (whole .5 mile)

anyway, just curious... what does that thing run in the 1/4

I haven't run this one(engine) in the quarter because I blew my clutch out on start line at FFW Ennis,but my last one (308 ci) ran 119 mph with a 2.4 60' leaving at idle. This engine (331 ci)is only about 1500-1800 miles old but my crew chief & pit crew built it for 10.80 range because I did'nt want to change a lot of parts like headers/exhaust,gears. I could have built it for 9's if I did that. No thanks, street car all the way.

02BOLT
11-22-2004, 07:49 PM
I haven't run this one(engine) in the quarter because I blew my clutch out on start line at FFW Ennis,but my last one (308 ci) ran 119 mph with a 2.4 60' leaving at idle. This engine (331 ci)is only about 1500-1800 miles old but my crew chief & pit crew built it for 10.80 range because I did'nt want to change a lot of parts like headers/exhaust,gears. I could have built it for 9's if I did that. No thanks, street car all the way.
Hey Derrick,
Wes's Mustang was a Midnight Blue Fox-body with Light Blue racing stripes that rolled on those real sharp 17" ROH five stars(can't remember the name). I believe it had a Vortech supercharged 331 stroker under its hood also.

You'd have really liked that car. Much like yours, it was done RIGHT, was absolutely gorgeous:eek2:, was a solid mid 10 second ride, and was very much a street car. The last time I saw that car was out at Hallsville in 1999, and I remember it like it was yesterday.

WA 2 FST
11-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Here's one for the archives. Rob it did have ROH wheels when you saw it (or more than likely was running on Welds that day), but I later installed the Cobra 2300-K brake kit and ran Fikse FM5s on it. I also pulled the Corbeau race seats and installed some Saleen/Recaro seats in it.

With 3.27s and on drag radials it ran 11.2 @ 136mph...basically on a short track b/c I was just pedaling it to the 660' mark. It picked up 36mph in the last 1/8th. :lol: Easy high-9 second car with a suspension, better gearing (maybe an auto trans) and someone who was willing to kill it.

http://www.wa2fst.com/album/8/99354627.jpg

I agree with keeping the car 100% streetable. That's the only thing about it as they get really fast (and L owners understand this too). Many variables that come into play that can really take away from the fun/enjoyment of a street car. The Ram 900 clutch I had in that car wasn't a lot of fun, to be honest. I tried to concede as little as possible though.

devildog92
11-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Here's one for the archives. Rob it did have ROH wheels when you saw it (or more than likely was running on Welds that day), but I later installed the Cobra 2300-K brake kit and ran Fikse FM5s on it. I also pulled the Corbeau race seats and installed some Saleen/Recaro seats in it.

With 3.27s and on drag radials it ran 11.2 @ 136mph...basically on a short track b/c I was just pedaling it to the 660' mark. It picked up 36mph in the last 1/8th. :lol: Easy high-9 second car with a suspension, better gearing (maybe an auto trans) and someone who was willing to kill it.

http://www.wa2fst.com/album/8/99354627.jpg

I agree with keeping the car 100% streetable. That's the only thing about it as they get really fast (and L owners understand this too). Many variables that come into play that can really take away from the fun/enjoyment of a street car. The Ram 900 clutch I had in that car wasn't a lot of fun, to be honest. I tried to concede as little as possible though.

I have seen it before Wes sold it. Great looking car, and he even gave me a ride some time ago, and it was quite streetable. That is by far the kewlist Mustang I have ever rode in, bar none Wes. I like that gen, so I am partial as well. :tu:

That being said, I am still waiting on my Vette though. A Mach 1 is nice, but I'll take the Vette in my future.

WA 2 FST
11-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the sentiment.

We will need to hook up once I get my car back from 21st Century Musclecars. As if the Stage 1 TT setup wasn't enough, I'm upgrading to the Stage 2. ~600rwhp. Last week a guy in Flower Mound with the same setup ran 10.6 @ 138mph on ET Streets leaving at 2500rpm. I'm going to stick to drag radials, so we'll see. Won't be much of a 1/4 miler, but from a 20-30mph roll it should be downright nasty. It already is.

devildog92
11-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Dan. I appreciate the sentiment.

We will need to hook up once I get my car back from 21st Century Musclecars. As if the Stage 1 TT setup wasn't enough, I'm upgrading to the Stage 2. ~600rwhp. Last week a guy in Flower Mound with the same setup ran 10.6 @ 138mph on ET Streets leaving at 2500rpm. I'm going to stick to drag radials, so we'll see. Won't be much of a 1/4 miler, but from a 20-30mph roll it should be downright nasty. It already is.
I'm sure it is, I don't think you can drive anything w/ less than 350rwhp LOL. I drove a ZO6 about 1 1/2s yrs ago, and have been dying to get one, especially since I can't get back into a new '05 Lightning now. I am just so upside-down in the Mustang for it to matter for the next few months, unless someone knows a Chevy dealer who is willing to go 10-12k off an auto-trannied Vette. Yikes.

I can't wait to see your car. BTW, I hope the board has a great holiday.

Wht95Lightning
11-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Did anyone see the tv commercial during the 1st quarter of the Cowboys game?

If you missed it, they used an 05 Stang to play the Star Spangled Banner by revving the motor. It was completely badass! :bows

StormShadow
11-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Here is another. Once again I can do without the wing.

http://s88852576.onlinehome.us/mustang/stangnet.jpg

StormShadow
11-27-2004, 04:53 PM
......they removed the pictures from the server

StormShadow
11-27-2004, 04:54 PM

StormShadow
01-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Back from the dead with some new cool pictures..

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/LA_AUTO_05/images/a_IMG_0010_JPG.jpg

r1eater
01-16-2005, 09:22 PM
:bows

WA 2 FST
01-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah, that's a nice pic of a hopped-up '05 GT. I like that one.

However, I've seen a few new GTs on the road recently and must say that from any angle _other than_ the front... the car looks very "bland" to me. I think part of it is that the car does not have an aggressive stance at all from the factory. Lower it, and install a nice (wider) wheel/tire package, and I'm sure that would do wonders for it.

I will be at the Detroit Auto Show next week and I'll take some good pics... too bad there won't be a Lightning concept. :(

r1eater
01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Here you go Adam.. I lowered it a wee bit..

WA 2 FST
01-17-2005, 12:22 PM
That's a bit too "slammed". ;) Pretty impractical for driving around, I think.

I was talking about the stock '05 GT. It's the same thing that has been the case with Mustangs ever since the SN95 came out. Big, swoopy fenders, but jacked up like a 4x4 and too narrow of a tire on the car.

Tex Arcana
01-17-2005, 02:08 PM
heres one with SC and stuff already

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4505721763&category=6236
http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/de/79/61_12_sb.JPG

Wow... that's a tight engine package... :eek2:

r1eater
01-17-2005, 04:13 PM
That's a bit too "slammed". ;) Pretty impractical for driving around, I think.

Don't worry it has an adjustable suspension. :rll:

r1eater
01-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Adam, here you go.. All I know is the more I see this thing the more I cant wait till the new Cobra comes out.

http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/img_0111.jpg
http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/img_0112.jpg

http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/img_0113.jpg

http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/img_0114.jpg
http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/img_0115.jpg
http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/img_0116.jpg

StormShadow
01-17-2005, 07:17 PM
I can't see the pictures butthead

r1eater
01-17-2005, 07:19 PM

Yeah my webhost blew away their server my site was on. Waiting for them to fix their sh!t

StormShadow
01-17-2005, 07:45 PM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135stang.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135stang21-med.JPG (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13521&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

StormShadow
01-17-2005, 07:49 PM
http://forums.stangnet.com/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=2749

I really like the wheels on this one.

StormShadow
01-17-2005, 07:50 PM
http://forums.stangnet.com/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=2751....

r1eater
01-17-2005, 08:50 PM

How bout now?

StormShadow
01-17-2005, 10:01 PM
How bout now?

Yea, I like that body kit. I might have to get a cobra when it comes out. I should have the truck pretty much paid off by then.knana

02BOLT
01-17-2005, 10:22 PM
I think the 05 GT's look saweeet in sonic blue. I'd like to see a sonic blue one with a nice drop and a set of Fikse FM5's or Profil 5's (18"x9" (F) and 18"x10.5" (R)) in the "technipolish" finish. A nice little Vortech and exhaust to round out the package. It may not be the fastest thing on the road, but I'd ROLL that b!tch!:burnout:

The big thing that'd keep me from buying a GT is that I'd be kicking myself when the '07 Cobras come out. I can't wait to see that car. I just hope Ford builds the damn thng, and doesn't tease everybody like they did with the L.:bs

WA 2 FST
01-17-2005, 11:57 PM
Rob,

We're all anxiously awaiting the new Cobra. However, I have absolutely _zero_ faith in Ford performance right now...hard to believe I can say that after the debut of the new GT.

However, I am disappointed b/c I fully expected a showroom 12-second Mustang GT and they didn't even get close. 300hp is worth a yawn in today's performance-oriented market. Heck, you can get a G35 sedan with 290hp now, with build quality 2x that of even the new, improved Mustang.

Silver_2000
01-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Rob,
hard to believe I can say that after the debut of the new GT.

Did you know there are 2 "Do Not Drive " recalls on the GT ??

r1eater
01-18-2005, 08:16 AM
However, I am disappointed b/c I fully expected a showroom 12-second Mustang GT and they didn't even get close.

IMO.. Its kinda hard to do that when you have a Cobra around the corner. I mean if you could get a 12.8 GT what would the cobra have to be 11.9? If so then where does that put the Ford GT? If not then why get a cobra.

I agree with you Fords build quality is far from where the competition is. For what you really get in the Lightning its a bit overpriced, as is the new Mustang. But I guess you buy them because you love them knowing the build quality is not there. Gotta have the V8 rumble...

Silver_2000
01-18-2005, 08:22 AM
For what you really get in the Lightning its a bit overpriced, as is the new Mustang.

The new mustang is touted as being great by all the reviewers. What other manufacturer offers something similar in the price range ?

StormShadow
01-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Does anyone know what kind of wheels those are on the sonic blue on the top of the page. I thought they were Boyd's but I cannot find them on the website.:confused:

WA 2 FST
01-18-2005, 09:38 AM
The new mustang is touted as being great by all the reviewers. What other manufacturer offers something similar in the price range ?

Yeah, I was only comparing the Mustang to something it doesn't match up to as far as build quality (Infinity). The only reason I put the Infinity in the same class was b/c of the power production, although if you've driven one of those cars you'd be impressed by its handling and braking and overall performance. Granted, its also a $33k car.

Doug is right...the Mustang is actually priced _very_ competitively for what you get. I remember my '96 Cobra with 300hp stickered at $26.6k. The new GT which is a better car, same power, stickers at that or a bit under. So from that standpoint, Ford has done well.

My issue with not having a 12-second showroom car stems from the fact that GM gets darn close every time they give it a shot. Bone stock F-body's ran low, low-13s @ 108-109mph and the new 3800lb (yikes!) GTO is on par with the new Mustang as far as fit and finish and it will run those times, if not dip into the high-12s... with the new LS2 400hp powerplant and a well driven 6-speed trans. The only thing I can't get used to is the GTO's exterior styling, but GM will change that in a couple of years. The interior fit and finish, and seating for large adults in the back seat is excellent for a "pony car". It is also more expensive at $32-34k.

Will... I do agree with you about setting up the Cobra's performance vs. the Ford GT's. Everyone keeps saying the Cobra will be a 500-550hp screamer. I seriously doubt it. Ford would be cutting off its nose if they build a factory Cobra that runs low-12s, high-11s. It would be cool if they did it, but I don't think it will happen.

r1eater
01-18-2005, 08:43 PM

I'm with Wa 2 fst on this, build quality. Its the little things like on our Lightnings, they dont have power window lockout features?!?! I mean step into an Infinity or Audi and the fit and finish is like night and day.

Eitherway I've pretty much made my mind up, next vehicle will be either a Cobra or Vette.

r1eater
01-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Was killing me having somethign that high off the ground. :)

http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/medlowblue.jpg

TP Derrick D
01-18-2005, 10:50 PM
You import & chebby guys make me :rll:

WA 2 FST
01-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Awww, Big Derrick you can't call me a Chevy guy. I've owned a lot of Mustangs, including my original hot-rod '90 Mustang, a '96 Cobra and a '98 Saleen S351.

If Ford would build a 2-seater that runs low-12s bone stock, pulls 1g on the skidpad, does 60-0 in 110' and can be bought new for $44k (lots of haggling and searching, but it can be done)... I'll have a check in hand. ;)

Actually it wouldn't even have to be a 2-seater.

The performance bar for showroom new cars has been set. In the early, mid-90s it was all 5.0 Mustangs. By the late 90s the F-bodies were running low-13s bone stock.

Trust me, I was really hoping Ford would step up ... they did with the '03-04 Cobra. Then they give us a much better built car with the '05 Mustang, but acceleration performance that is no better than a '96 Cobra with 3.73 gears. To me, that's not a lot of progress, but that's just my opinion. Would have been nice to see a 375hp Mustang GT, with a 450hp Cobra in '06. As it stands, I seriously doubt there will even be a Cobra in '06. :(

TP Derrick D
01-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Wes, O K, so I guess you're an all around guy. That's cool. But just keep in mind a Mustang GT is not suppose to compete with a Vette.It competes with Camaros/Firebirds. Yeah during the late 80's-early 90's Mustangs ruled , I had one ,a new '89 GT and yeah the F-bodies went ahead,but listen to all the critics of the Mustang GT even after Ford listen to the public and upped the anty all around and its still not enough for some.My '89 had 225 hp,fully loaded and cost $14,700. That was what 16 years ago? Now it has better everything,4 wheel disc brakes,bigger tires,300 horses that run the quarter in mid 13's,better interior and still cost less than $25,000. Plus its still around and out selling F-bodies 3-1. So if you compare don't compare it to a Vette. You want admitte it but it was in the mags and on TV, an '03-04 Cobra was neck -neck with a C-5's 1/4 mile times. But since its a Ford it won't get the credit for doing that aganist a car with the Vette tradition. Then a month ago there was comparison on here between a C-5/6 and a Ford GT, a world supercar. Com' on fellows! If a Cobra don't compare to a Vette, how does Vette compare to a Ford GT ? Vette is not even close right? See thats why I was making the statement about import and Vette guys making me laugh. By the way I think that comparison of the Cobra-Vette was Car and Driver on Sat/Sun mornings,early last year or late '03.Anyway a Vette is a Vette I'll give it credit but I luv ma' Mustangs!!
Did you get rid of a Saleen S-351 for a Vette? Man I hope you didn't do that. :confused:

WA 2 FST
01-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Wes, O K, so I guess you're an all around guy. That's cool. But just keep in mind a Mustang GT is not suppose to compete with a Vette.It competes with Camaros/Firebirds.

I agree 100%.

Yeah during the late 80's-early 90's Mustangs ruled , I had one ,a new '89 GT and yeah the F-bodies went ahead,but listen to all the critics of the Mustang GT even after Ford listen to the public and upped the anty all around and its still not enough for some.

It was enough for me. I sold my '94 Lightning and bought a '96 Cobra. Ran 13.8 @ 100mph stock. 3.73s and drag radials and it ran 13.15 @ 104. Not bad.

My '89 had 225 hp,fully loaded and cost $14,700. That was what 16 years ago? Now it has better everything,4 wheel disc brakes,bigger tires,300 horses that run the quarter in mid 13's,better interior and still cost less than $25,000.

Yep. My '90 LX Sport hatchback was $15,200 sticker.

The new car is a good deal. It has as much power as my '96 Cobra yet it costs a tad less...and its an 8yr newer car. My only issue is that I would have liked to see it have even more power, that's all. We both agree it is a far superior car than the Fox-3 or SN95 cars. I'm pleased with the build quality of the car, for what it is. I like the front of the car. Otherwise, I think its a bit bland in stock form. I liked it in pictures, but now that I've seen it in person... it needs some of Will's photoshopping. Nothing that can't be remedied with lowering springs and some wider wheels/tires. But it only runs mid-13s, and to me that's a shame when the GTO (only thing in the pony car class) has 400hp and will run high-12s with a good driver.

Plus its still around and out selling F-bodies 3-1.

Again, we agree completely. I will only say that really we should compare the V8 models only. The V6 models for both the Mustang and F-bodies are not performance cars, so I don't like to use them as a comparison. The ratio is much, much closer if we only compare V8 cars. BUT... the F-body is gone, and the big reason is b/c sales were bad compared to the Mustang. The verdict... the average buyer preferred the Mustang, no matter how much faster the F-body was. But I don't consider myself an average buyer. That being said, the fit and finish of the F-bodies was horrendous.

So if you compare don't compare it to a Vette. You want admitte it but it was in the mags and on TV, an '03-04 Cobra was neck -neck with a C-5's 1/4 mile times. But since its a Ford it won't get the credit for doing that aganist a car with the Vette tradition.

You won't hear that from me. I don't care nearly as much about the Vette tradition as most Vette owners. I bought the car b/c it was the best car in its class that I could afford. I drove several Vipers and it wasn't for me.

As far as a stock '03-04 Cobra vs. a C5... yep, they are neck and neck. Throw in a C5 Z06... with good drivers all around, and its not close over a full 1/4 mile. At least to me 12.3 @ 116 is not close to 13.0 @ 109-110. But that's just my perspective. The other thing is that the Cobra cannot hold a candle to the C5 as far as overall handling and braking...especially on a road course when you're beating on the car. This is not the fault of the hardware used on the Cobra, but rather that at 3700+lbs, it has an uphill battle to fight...that being weight, which kills brakes and tires after repeated use at the limit. But stoplight to stoplight on the street... stock C5 vs. stock Cobra is a great race.

Then a month ago there was comparison on here between a C-5/6 and a Ford GT, a world supercar. Com' on fellows! If a Cobra don't compare to a Vette, how does Vette compare to a Ford GT ? Vette is not even close right? See thats why I was making the statement about import and Vette guys making me laugh.

The only possible comparison to the new Ford GT would be the new C6 Z06... and the comparison cannot be made if we're using $$ as the means of comparison. The MSRP of the GT is at least 2x that of the C6 Z06 (pricing expected to be ~$70-75k). And we all know you can't get a new GT for less than $200k on the open market. But just like you (and I) are willing to compare performance of the Cobra vs. the C5, I am anxious to see how the C6 Z06 stacks up to the Ford GT. Just like a 911 TT, the more expensive car _should_ be faster, but I'm not sure that will be the case. Nevertheless, exclusivity has its price tag, and rolling in a 911 TT or Ford GT will have it all over the Z06. :)

Did you get rid of a Saleen S-351 for a Vette? Man I hope you didn't do that. :confused:

Here's more history than you want to know, but I would hope to save you or anyone else the heartache of buying one of these and expecting the performance they promise... I bought the S351 used at Middlekauf Ford. The original owner traded it in with 12k miles on it. I took it to the dyno before I bought it. ;) It made good power on the _dyno_. I drove it around, it was a nice tight car. Tuned it up, and it made 442rwhp/453rwtq. Sounds great on paper, right?! Absolutely.

However, what Saleen does not tell you (at least not in the magazines where they ran 11.7 @ 122 with the car) is that the cars they sell to the public are neutered. This is per the Saleen tech I spoke with: 1) they upped the rev-limiter to 6250rpm for the mag test... my car had a rev-limiter at 5500rpm. With 3.55 gears this low rev-limiter killed performance (more on that later). 2) They bumped the timing significantly for the mag tests and ran race fuel. 3) they ran a completely different PCM program in the test cars.

I took my car to the track expecting really good times. I know how to drive and even had some drag radials on it that I'd pulled off my '90 LX for the day. It ran 12.5 @ 115mph, and that was its best time of the evening. Hello????!!!! First off the low rev-limiter just killed the car. I was in 3rd gear by 60mph b/c it was geared way too low for a 5500rpm limiter. It would have pulled way on past that anyway (made peak HP at redline, and it was going up... but couldn't be utilized). Also, the programming pulled tons of timing out of the motor once IATs reached 150^F. With the S-trim blower... they were almost always at 150+. So on the track, the car wasn't making nearly the power it could/should.

After talking with the Saleen techs forever, telling them the car was out of warranty and that I wanted their "test" program sent to me... they pulled the rug out from under me and denied my request. So, I desperately turned to the aftermarket, since I had been tuning blown 5.0/5.8s for years. No dice. The PCM in the '96+ S351s is from a 351W _F-150_. At the time (late '01) there was no TwEECer or EEC-Tuner for this PCM. There was no PMS programmer. There was nothing. One tuner out in California sent me a program designed to work with 42lb injectors (oh, I forgot to mention the stock MAF pegged at 5v at 5500, and the 36lb injectors were running out of capacity at 440+rwhp since there is no FMU) and a T-rex fuel pump. The program failed miserably.

So after all this what I had was a car that _should_ kick everyone's butt, however it was a slow turd. Beautiful car (black with tan leather interior), in immaculate condition, and I couldn't unleash its potential. So I sold it and made $4k on the transaction.

And yes, I bought a Z06 that ran 12.3 @ 116 bone stock, with 1100 miles on it, granny-shifting. And it is much more tractable, handles and brakes far better than the heavy Saleen. Certainly its not as exclusive, but its a much better car.

Knowing what I know now (and something that the mags would never tell you, and Saleen wouldn't either unless you were like me and had already bought the car and were looking for help) the only S351 I'd buy is a '95. It was still OBD-1, so you could use the aftermarket programmers for it. The OBD-II cars now have some aftermarket programming, but you'd still have to do more tweaking (injectors, MAF, etc) to get it to run right.

And I'm not alone in the issues I had. I have been in touch with a number of S351 owners who've all had these issues, and most of them had mechanical problems. Mine ran fine, I can say that.

StormShadow
01-20-2005, 01:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/pmdemas/4ff6.jpg

Yet another "cobra" idea or concept picture. Man these things are starting to grow on me. I didn't like the body at first but I'm coming around.

Here is the info that went with the picture. Take from this what you will.

Details:

- 465HP, 6-speed manual running in the low 12's with a trap speed of 120mph!

- You choose the rear suspension set up, either IRS or Solid Rear Axle with the IRS apparently pulling over 1.0g in the corners...

- The Price... in and around 30k.

Motor: 5.4 Supercharged, 3 valve heads (with HUGE valves), forged internals similar to the 4.6 (Crank, rods, etc), modestly rated (under rated actually) ~465 HP/495 lb ft Torque, using a twin screw S/C similar to that on the Ford GT but pullied differently, hence the lower HP. This motor was supposedly made official (in house only) just in the last few days.

Transmissions: 6 speed manuals standard with a heavy duty 5 speed auto (the tranny used on the Ford Superduty but programmed/geared differently) as an option in late '07 or the '08 M/Y.

Suspensions: A re-engineered, heavy duty IRS will be an option with a modified 3 link/panhard bar-live axle setup as the standard rear axle. SVT will be going for the Road Race buyer as well as the straight line racer with both axles optional. However, the Axle options are not set in stone as of the moment but look highly likely to be approved. The Cobra will be lowered about 1.5" from a stock GT. Bodywork: The retro theme will continue with a serious nod to the '67 Shelby. The fenders may be flared more than the standard '05 but that is not for certain as of now. The ducktail will be factory installed. Also, no convertible is planned for now but no reason was given other than concerns over chassis reliability due to the torque volume

r1eater
01-20-2005, 07:20 AM
:bows

SOLD!!

WA 2 FST
01-20-2005, 09:34 AM
If they can sell _that_ car with that driveline for around $30k, I'll sell my L in a heartbeat and buy one.

That would be very sweet to have a "detuned" GT motor (kind of like the HD truck vs. the L). Pulley swap and hello big power.

I'm not getting my hopes up on this, but we will just have to wait and see.

StormShadow
01-20-2005, 09:45 AM
I bet it will be closer to $40k than to $30 but as long as it don't go over $40k I should be able to afford it.

WA 2 FST
01-20-2005, 11:13 AM
$40k will still be a really good deal.

The reason I have doubts about the powerplant is b/c I can't see Ford putting the GT motor into any other vehicle...even a detuned version. But we can hope. Trickle-down theory at its best! :)

A 465hp blown 5.4 3v would just be awesome!

02BOLT
01-20-2005, 08:54 PM
That pic is absolutely SICK!:eek:

If the new Cobra looks anything like that pic, and has the 3V 5.4 with a "built" bottom end and a true Twin Screw, and is priced around $40K, then I'll be all up in the middle of that.

At least I have a little time to save up.:d (assuming of course, that Ford doesn't drop the ball between now and then.:rolleyes: )

StormShadow
01-21-2005, 12:10 AM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Dougs05GTChopped-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13537&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

:bows :eek: :bows

TP Derrick D
01-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Wes,
Thanks for being honest about the Saleen. Even being the Mustang man that I am ,I was unaware of the tuning issues you described. I have always wanted one just a little more than I wanted to pay.I have always had the high 11's over 120 mph 1/4 times that I've read about in my mind from a "production" car. I always figured that if it did that from the showroom floor on the safe side, that it surely had at least another second or so in it after market. And not everyone had one. A lot of fakes rolling around with the body kit but not a lot of true S-351's just rolling in parade formation. I still would like to have a Saleen, for the rarity and style of the body kits but if Ford put 1 or 2 of the Mustangs with the body kits into production that has been coming up on here, I may just go with one of them. If its not a Cobra I'd probably put a Vortec or KB on it anyway. :cool:

TP Derrick D
01-21-2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Dougs05GTChopped-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13537&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

Adam!!! Please STOP!!!! you killing me man!!! I'm not rich enough to buy 1 of each. That's just AWESOME!!! Got "me " written all over it.

Wait a minute, 2 years ago when I joined the site and put a post or 2 up about my Mustang I thought I was going to end up in front of a firing squad for even mentioning Mustangs on here :nono: now its big talk, my how times have changed. :confused: :cool: :rll:

my2002lightning
01-21-2005, 12:39 AM
Wow, that thing's sexy! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bows.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif
I've always loved the retro '69 Mustang front-end look. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/banana2.gifThe Bullitt/BC rims definitely set it off.

StormShadow
01-24-2005, 09:07 PM
We are going for longest thread ever on this one

http://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23457

r1eater
01-24-2005, 09:56 PM
holy crap this silver one has my name all over it.. I'm not sure if I like the fog lamps though, I kinda like them up top.. This one doesnt have a side exhaust either :(

WA 2 FST
01-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Wes,
Thanks for being honest about the Saleen. Even being the Mustang man that I am ,I was unaware of the tuning issues you described. I have always wanted one just a little more than I wanted to pay.I have always had the high 11's over 120 mph 1/4 times that I've read about in my mind from a "production" car. I always figured that if it did that from the showroom floor on the safe side, that it surely had at least another second or so in it after market. And not everyone had one. A lot of fakes rolling around with the body kit but not a lot of true S-351's just rolling in parade formation. I still would like to have a Saleen, for the rarity and style of the body kits but if Ford put 1 or 2 of the Mustangs with the body kits into production that has been coming up on here, I may just go with one of them. If its not a Cobra I'd probably put a Vortec or KB on it anyway. :cool:

Derrick,

I had the _exact_ same feelings when I found what I thought to be "treasure" in this 12k mile, mint condition, S351. The original owner didn't know anything about it obviously, as I could tell the hood had probably only been opened a handful of times. I went to get it dyno'd and it hit a good number (430rwhp with a loose belt), I took it home and washed it to insure it was in perfect shape, and I pulled all the spark plugs to make sure it wasn't having any issues. Did a compression test. If Middlekauf Ford could have seen me... :rll:

But its the only car I ever made any money on when I sold it. No doubt they are beautiful cars. And it had tons of torque so it _felt_ really fast at sane speeds. But the longer 1/4 mile race showed its "problems" and they couldn't be overcome. Day to day driving, it was great. Tons of tire-spinning TQ. But, if you have a _real_ S351, then everyone guns for you and the one thing I _will not_ tolerate is having a car that is supposed to be a "top dog"-type and having it be slower than it should be. Thus, it had to go.

Here's a pic:

StormShadow
01-29-2005, 09:42 PM
I've got more but I'm only realeasing these a little at a time. :D

I think I'll go Saleen this round.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135S3-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13598&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135S2-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13597&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135S1-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13596&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

StormShadow
01-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Here are a few more.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135fordmustangftun3jy-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13600&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135fordmustangrtun8ob-med.jpg (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13602&size=big&sort=1&cat=500)

r1eater
01-30-2005, 12:59 AM
NOt sure if I like the rear end

StormShadow
01-30-2005, 01:00 AM
I usually like big asses but not in this case.

StormShadow
02-01-2005, 01:42 AM
I love these wheels. Does anyone know what they are?

02BOLT
02-01-2005, 09:06 AM
I love these wheels. Does anyone know what they are?

Try Boyds, Foose, Billet Specialties, or Budnik. Colorado customs...maybe?