PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked the L...

Jester
11-19-2004, 10:57 PM
I was leaving work today, and I got on it, and no more than 75-100 yards later this elderly woman ran her stop sign....I tried to swerve and miss her, but I caught her front quarter panel with my front right corner. I felt so bad because I was speeding, and all of these witnesses were giving me a hard time about it. The fire department took her to the hospital. I didn't receive a ticket or anything, I told the officer I was going too fast, and he really didn't say much about it. I called my insurance agent and she re-assured me that even though I was speeding the woman still failed to stop so it was still her fault. I still feel horrible. The bumper is screwed, grill, one headlight, quarter panel, and the front passenger wheel and suspension was bent, and my driver side mirror was hanging off and airbags deployed. I have no idea if it'll be totaled or not. It is a 2002 with 16,500 miles on it. I've learned a big lesson, and I hope maybe someone else will learn something from this. Feel free to make any comments...

L8 APEX
11-19-2004, 11:07 PM
From a strategic point I would never recommend admitting fault or speeding legaly. That is stuff you keep to yourself:hammer: . What you did makes you honest to a fault:tu: . Damn, you would figure she would have heard the Wild system coming:eek: . This is your second run in with the law with the L in as many weeks:nono: . I hope this education doesn't cost any more...
So far as totaling it out, it would take a repair bill of more than 70% of market value. I would assume this number to be around 13K in repairs which is a lot of work.

Jester
11-19-2004, 11:15 PM
It's not like I could hide the fact I was going fast with the wild system. Any witnesses out there told the cop I was going too fast.

Wht95Lightning
11-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Ouch. I hope the ol' lady doesn't die. How bad was she hurt? Did she have a lawyer in the backseat?

Seriously though, I hope that she's ok and yeah, even though you were speeding, it's not your fault that she ran a stop sign.

kirkmears
11-19-2004, 11:40 PM
remember...you still live in the united states

innocent until proven guiltyhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

as far as those witnesses, they're probably the dummies runnin the stop sign.
sorry to hear about your bad luck though...you should feel fortunate you didn't T-bone the old lady causing serious injury to her

Jester
11-19-2004, 11:48 PM
Ouch. I hope the ol' lady doesn't die. How bad was she hurt? Did she have a lawyer in the backseat?

Seriously though, I hope that she's ok and yeah, even though you were speeding, it's not your fault that she ran a stop sign.
She wasn't hurt badly. She was a little dazed, had a small cut behind her ear, umm and that was it. She was belted in like I was and her airbags deployed also. She was just taken in for precautionary procedures.

my2002lightning
11-20-2004, 12:00 AM
From one Red '02 L with the Big-Mouth exhaust to another, sorry to hear your misfortune! Hope the L is alright considering all - as well as the elderly lady, obviously.

If I wrecked my Suzy, I'd probably have to be checked into a "nervous hospital". :D

Don't take this as a flame.... as for the accident, why did you feel the need to volunteer the fact that you were speeding? How fast were you going over the speed limit? What was the posted speed limit?

Post-up pics...

Jester
11-20-2004, 12:14 AM
From one Red '02 L with the Big-Mouth exhaust to another, sorry to hear your misfortune! Hope the L is alright considering all - as well as the elderly lady, obviously.

If I wrecked my Suzy, I'd probably have to be checked into a "nervous hospital". :D

Don't take this as a flame.... as for the accident, why did you feel the need to volunteer the fact that you were speeding? How fast were you going over the speed limit? What was the posted speed limit?

Post-up pics...
eh 45-50 in a 30, but I heard ppl in the crowd saying I was doing 100. Gotta love how the witnesses can blow something out of the water like that.

Sandman
11-20-2004, 12:48 AM
The truck can be fixed... lessons have been learned. Everything will be fine, and thank God yall both lived.

03LightningRocks
11-20-2004, 01:17 AM
I say..........SCREW THAT STUPID OLD BIOTCH. People who run stop signs and/or red lights get NO compasion from me. Actually...I speed up when I see someone running a stop sign or red light. For some reason my mind always says...extra points for taking out the stupid...and my foot follows with WOT.

Oh yeah......fock all the a-holes that tried to roast you too.

Rocks:flaming:

r1eater
11-20-2004, 11:11 AM
eh 45-50 in a 30, but I heard ppl in the crowd saying I was doing 100. Gotta love how the witnesses can blow something out of the water like that.

See thats why you dont volunteer info. So basically the cop now has a report that states you yourself said you were going too fast and he has witnesses that stated you were going around 100. So essentially you were doing 100mph down the road which a good lawyer could argue you were not in control given the conditions.

Don't get me wrong but sometimes being honest is not the best policy. Thats like walking up to Mike Tyson and telling him his tattoo on his face makes him look like a dumbshit. Next thing you know you're trying to find all your teeth from the floor. It would have been better to say, hey Mike that tattoo sure is unique. Next thing you know Mike and you are out partying and he is buying all the drinks and picking up all the hizzo's. SO in this situation much like yours, honesty was not the best thing.

00Bolt
11-20-2004, 11:28 AM
lol, great analogy!!! :rll:

tliss
11-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Austin,

Sorry to hear about the misfortune, and I'm glad everyone is OK. Unfortunately, I, too, disagree with your admitting that you were speeding. With that on record, and the ensuing accident, your insurance company may drop you like a rock or raise your rates so much it'll be impossible to pay them. Not to mention the possibility of her coming after you in civil court for mental anguish and whatnot. That's a little extreme, but you have to think of all angles. Let the obvious state itself...and deny deny deny!!

"But officer, I was just coming home from church on Sunday when this lawbreaking old lady ran her stop sign and smacked me." You have to take the perspective that you are the victim and cover your own ass.

Tom

Jester
11-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Truck looks totaled, but I should get a good chunk of money back and i'll get another one. I understand where everyone is coming from, but I'm not too worried about it. It was obvious I was not going 100 or anywhere near that just because of the damage, and sure I could have said nothing about the speed, but I said it and he never questioned me or anyone else and he never brought it up again. I've talked to my insurance company and they do not see how it would not go my way. It happens, that's why you have insurance.

Crawford
11-20-2004, 04:35 PM
I vote that this thread be moved to the members section in order to keep this info from the masses.

SpeedyBolt
11-20-2004, 05:15 PM
I second Crawford's statement! :tu: