PDA

View Full Version : When is it legal to use deadly force in Texas?

jim woods
11-20-2004, 09:36 PM
I just move here from another state, so I do not know the laws here in Texas.
Also, I am not looking for a reason or opportunity to fire at anyone.I just want to know what is legal here in Texas.

I was told that in Texas if the person was in the act of committing a felony it was legal to use a firearm against that person.

Then, I was also told that a person can only use a firearm if he(or other persons) was in fear for their/his Life or bodily harm.

So what is the law?

StormShadow
11-20-2004, 10:05 PM
It is legal to use deadly force to stop criminal activity at night time, however you will be subject to civil lawsuits.

This is how I think of it. If I feel that the need to use deadly force is there then I will do what I have to do without reguards to consequences. You just have to be damn sure you have a good reason. If you fear for your life there is no time to second guess consequences of your actions. What I'm saying is that if someone is in your house or putting you or someone else in danger then take them out, but if they are stealing your rims off of your truck you might just want to aim at the knees or something. :evil

TP Derrick D
11-20-2004, 11:03 PM
It is legal to use deadly force to stop criminal activity at night time, however you will be subject to civil lawsuits.

This is how I think of it. If I feel that the need to use deadly force is there then I will do what I have to do without reguards to consequences. You just have to be damn sure you have a good reason. If you fear for your life there is no time to second guess consequences of your actions. What I'm saying is that if someone is in your house or putting you or someone else in danger then take them out, but if they are stealing your rims off of your truck you might just want to aim at the knees or something. :evil

What Adam said,
I would pull out my Texas penal code book but its 12 years old .

SpeedyBolt
11-21-2004, 12:34 AM
Shooting someone in the leg or knees is the last thing you should do! The next thing you know he has you in court sueing you becuase he can't work or take care of himself anymore, mental anguish and all that crap! SHOOT CENTER MASS! SHOOT TO KILL!!!!!!!!!!!

dboat
11-21-2004, 07:33 AM
go here and read it for yourself..

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=59886#post59886

TreeFiddy
11-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Shooting someone in the leg or knees is the last thing you should do! The next thing you know he has you in court sueing you becuase he can't work or take care of himself anymore, mental anguish and all that crap! SHOOT CENTER MASS! SHOOT TO KILL!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, if you shoot to kill, don't forget to come here and delete yourself from this thread. :D

blueoval01
11-21-2004, 10:34 PM
So what is the law? Texas supports protection of Homestead property, like your home.
If you shot someone, make sure to drag them inside your house or garage before calling the the Law Enforcement.

SpeedyBolt
11-21-2004, 11:13 PM
Of course, if you shoot to kill, don't forget to come here and delete yourself from this thread. :D

If it's justified whats the problem! In truth, either way is going to land you in court! If you wound them they sue you for ruining thier life, if you kill them then thier family sues you for wrongful death. You lose either way!

r1eater
11-22-2004, 10:25 AM

If you shoot them in the chest and kill them, their relatives can still file a civil lawsuit against you.

SpeedyBolt
11-22-2004, 02:02 PM
If you shoot them in the chest and kill them, their relatives can still file a civil lawsuit against you.
See above post!

Moonshine
11-22-2004, 03:14 PM
If you wound them they sue you for ruining thier life, if you kill them then thier family sues you for wrongful death. You lose either way!
It's been my experience that being sued, even being sued for wrongful death, is unpleasant, but far from life threatening.

Crawford
11-22-2004, 03:55 PM
In my concealed handgun class we were told to shoot to kill for the very reason that if you let the bastard live they will come back to sue your ass off. Its much easier dealing with the relatives of the dead SOB you killed for being a thug in court. Just make sure you are justified.

Mark: If you are going to kill someone then drag them into the house make sure you clean up the drag marks and pools of blood before calling law enforcement. After you kill said vandal get them in the house or garage ASAP. The longer they are laying around outside the more mess there is to clean up after moving the body. Trust me on this one.

r1eater
11-22-2004, 04:59 PM
See above post!

Thanks!!

In the end its easy for everyone to say kill the SOB. But its another thing to do it. I have family in the law enforcement arena who have delt with this and it can be a haunting expirience. This from people who were in life n death situations. Killing someone over a stereo or a Plasma TV is really stupid and not worth it.

my2002lightning
11-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I seem to remember something about that if your an NRA member / CCW licensed and if it's a justified shooting, that the NRA will fly in their hot-shot Washington D.C. attornies and fight for you.

I need to research this one and find the url.