PDA

View Full Version : I can see clearly now...

BC Lightning
11-21-2004, 11:17 PM
I decided to get LASIK surgery and was unsure on who to use. Luckily my dad has alot of friends in the medical field(one being the Head of the oral surgery dept at U.T. Southwestern) They checked into for me and found that Dr. Boothe was the best in the area. I was pretty unsure before because what kind of a Dr. places ads on the radio?

I went in to get my eyes checked and found that I could get LASIK. Well it was a long day last thursday starting at 4:00a.m. My surgery ws at 6 but the prep you for surgery an hour before even though the actual surgery last 15-20 mins.

Well its been 3 whole days since the surgery and I can see better than I ever could or did with glasses or contacts. The only bad part is all the drops you have to take, but they said that will only last a week.

I recommend this to anyone who has glasses or contacts. It was awesome not having to wake up and put contacts in for the first time in 12yrs. :tu:

sonicbluetommy
11-22-2004, 03:29 AM
How much did it end up costing you? And keep us posted on how your eyes do. I have heard a couple ppl say they needed touch ups.

tliss
11-22-2004, 07:00 AM
You said "oral"....:D

Tom

98Cobra
11-22-2004, 08:15 AM
Glad it worked out for ya, my GF had it done a year or so ago at Tylock in Irving and loves it. She went to Boothe initially, but the "cattle car" atmosphere they have there of shuffling you all over the place really unsettled her. Also, when she called to postpone her appointment while she investigated Tylock, they started trying to wheel and deal on the price, very used car salesman-y. Tylock was a completely different experience, and she has been completely satisifed.

Just wanted to give another view (no pun intended)of the options for people....

:tu:

Nuhklz
11-22-2004, 09:07 AM
I had it done last July and the freedom of not dealing with glasses is unbelievable. I'm now at at 20/30 and will probably have an enhancement done in the next couple of weeks.

Moonshine
11-22-2004, 03:19 PM
Congrats Michael!

I had one eye done in July '03 (not at Boothe), and it's 20/20, sometimes 20/15 on a good day. I've been very pleased with it. :D

Tex Arcana
11-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the club! I did mine 8 years ago thru my eye doc, who at the time fronted for Beacon Eye Centers. I had to fly to Canada to get mine done, because FDA approval wasn't complete, and I would've had to do one eye at a time and no astigmatism correction. I was 20-15 immediately, and have had nothign but great vision ever since! The only issue I have now isn't even related to the zapping: I'm 43, and eyes lose the ability to focus (due to the lens hardening with age) at about 40-50, and so I"m having trouble focusing these days (otherwise known as "long-arm disease"). My wife had hers done just 2 years ago, and wishes she hadn't waited.

Anyone who's toying with the idea: do it. There is no question that it works, is safe, and worth it. If someone wants a really great eye doc, holler at me and I'll pass his info along.

99WhiteBeast
11-22-2004, 05:01 PM
I'm curious to the approximate cost associated wuth the procedure. I don't think this is something covered on insurance.

Tex Arcana
11-22-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm curious to the approximate cost associated wuth the procedure. I don't think this is something covered on insurance.
Check your vision plan: some cover it, up to 80%, some don't. My cost was $4k, but that was becasue it was so new and in Canada. Wife's cost was half that, but more than Booth or Tylock becasue the dr we chose was the one recommended by our doc, who only chooses those with lower volumes and more care for the procedure.

Moonshine
11-22-2004, 05:13 PM
Depends alot upon whom you go to. I've seen ads for as little as $799 for both eyes, and I'm aware of people paying up to $1,750 per eye. But one of the things my surgeon convinced me of was that you get what you pay for, and I wasn't willing to cheap out on my vision. Most insurance plans consider it cosmetic surgery, and therefore do not cover it.

Nuhklz
11-22-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm curious to the approximate cost associated wuth the procedure. I don't think this is something covered on insurance. It depends on the amount of correction but the average price is $3k for both eyes. My doc offered a 12 month interest free loan.

BC Lightning
11-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Well since I had met my deductable for the year I tried to cover it on insurance, but LASIK is not covered on my plan. The total cost for all the appts. surgery, etc. was $3,500. I paid $150 the day i went in for my consultation to see if I could get Lasik. Then I paid another $150 the day after. I financed the rest for 18 months no interest. They also had 12 month no interest, 24/36 months with interest but not sure on total amount.

I actually just got back from Dr. Boothe's and I have 20/15 vision. :d

I also was a little uneasy about how many people he sees at once, but since 90% was done by computers, machines, and lasers, it made me feel alot better.

Anyone toying with the idea needs to get it done. It has been totally worth it! ! !

BC Lightning
08-11-2006, 08:14 PM
bringing this thread back from the dead :evil

Went to the eye doctor today just to check for my yearly appt and close to 2 years after the surgery its still 20/15

This is still one of the best things I have done!!!

Mark #2
08-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm starting to feel arm length challenged.
How does this surgery effect reading distance?
My boss had it done but he still needs reading glasses?:confused:

My eye sight is great above ~20", based on what other people around me can read in conf room presentations. Very clear to me even up against the 20 year olds.

~18.5" two hand lengths away from the screen now.

Just wondering what I should do?

Lyfisin
08-11-2006, 09:46 PM
That's the same reason I haven't had mine done. I only need it on one eye, but I'd still have to have reading glasses. I think the only cure for that is crystal lens and not only is it very expensive (6-10k last I heard) but my eye doctor told me they are working on a new material that is supposed to be better than what is out there now.

Mark #2
08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
That's the same reason I haven't had mine done. I only need it on one eye, but I'd still have to have reading glasses. I think the only cure for that is crystal lens and not only is it very expensive (6-10k last I heard) but my eye doctor told me they are working on a new material that is supposed to be better than what is out there now.

Yeah, I am chicken on eye surgery, knees, no problem.;)

L8 APEX
08-11-2006, 11:06 PM
My friend Brad had his done over a year ago, wished he had done it sooner but wanted it to progress to a good point first. Tylock did his I think, off 183 and Story? Anyway, he had the super duper procedure blade free intra laz 3D mapping etc. It was about 4500 and insurance covered most of it. He had it done went home and took a 4-6hr nap and woke up with no probs. He went out in the garage and was sawing wood the same day. Never looked back or had any issues.:tu:

Nuhklz
08-12-2006, 07:33 AM
I had mine done two years ago and it's great!

It is true that I need reading glasses but the overall freedom far outweighs the little inconvience.

Lyfisin
08-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I don't think it would for me. Since I have what's called "lazy eye" where only one eye is bad, I see fine with both eyes open. When my glasses break, it seems like I'm always needing to read something.

For me, its easier to just wear glasses all the time, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

mustgofaster
08-12-2006, 11:59 AM

My eye sight is great above ~20", based on what other people around me can read in conf room presentations. Very clear to me even up against the 20 year olds.

There are surgeries out there for presbiopia ( http://www.essilor.ca/en/consommateurs/verres/varilux.asp ) but they are more complex with a larger percentage of side-effects, and sometimes there is a trade-off with your distance vision. Technology is changing everyday though, so i'd say that it is worth checking out.

F.Y.I. I attached the above link because it explains what presbiopia is... not a shameless ad for the company I work for... I promise.

Steve

Mark #2
08-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the information.
Since the technology is advancing so quickly, I am going to continue to wait, just like I do with all technologies. When a technology gets to millions of units produced/month is generally when I am comfortable that it is mature enough for me.;)

Sixpipes
08-12-2006, 03:41 PM
Personally, the older I get, the less concern I have about seeing well. :(

http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/nice_legs_granny.jpg

Mark #2
08-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Personally, the older I get, the less concern I have about seeing well. :(

http://www.grimmemennesker.dk/data/media/2/nice_legs_granny.jpg

I think the problem is that you are obviously looking at the wrong things.:eek2:

Tex Arcana
08-12-2006, 04:48 PM

For one, discuss it with your opthamologist. If you don't have one, Dr. Jeryl Sparks of Richardson Vision Center (http://www.drsparks.com/) is right near you, and possibly the best opthamologist I've ever had the pleasure of seeing--and I've seen alot in my life. He's not the cheapest, but he's the one of the most thorough and honest you will ever find. I went thru him back in 1996 when I got zapped, and I've been an absolutely happy camper, thanks to him.

As for your issues: mustgofaster is right, you're getting what all of us get, "short-arm disease". It's making inroads on me as we speak, and I have to carry light reading glasses if I want to see anything up close. Most of the time, tho, it's not a problem at all. When I went in for my last checkup, I snagged myself a pair of nighttime driving glasses, set up specifically for a car, and bifocals; of course, this was before finding out I might be able to get a free retreat from the doctor in Toronto that was part of Beacon Eye Institute, the outfit up there that did my PRK.

And getting past the :ron:, there are a couple of options, mased on how bad the farsightedness is, and how much trouble you're having focusing. ONe is a lasik procedure to set focal lengths in each eye, one eye up close for reading and close work (usually the dominant one), and one eye for further out (driving, reading billboards, signs, or whiteboards, etc). I "tried" it (kinda faked with a pair of lenses), and I didn't do too well, but Dr. Sparks says most people do very well with such a procedure, and adapt very quickly.

To me, the real key is to see clearly: when I put my driving glasses on for the first time, I was surprised at the amount of drift I've had in the past 10 years, and that I haven't really noticed too much except for the close reading. And, if I can get a retreat for free (or nearly free), I'll be headed to Toronto to do it, in a heartbeat, if only to regain that clarity I used to have.

One other thing Dr. Sparks will likely tell you is to fight going to reading glasses as much as possible. What's happening is the lens in your eye is beginning to harden, and that is what's causing your presbyopia. It is a natural progression in humans, and the only way to fight it is to keep using those muscles and keep flexing the lens as much as possible. Computer usage doesn't help; but eye exercises help IMMENSELY. [:ron:] When I first noticed I was having a problem was when I went back to school: I would have my head down, studying or reading, and when I would look up, it would take a few seconds for me to focus on something further away. That was the initial symptom of the presbyopia; Dr. Sparks encouraged me to fight it with eye exercises (they do work, and are very simple to do), and put off putting me in readers 'til about 2004, iirc. [/:ron]

I know this was long, but I think you will find the information helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to IM me or call me, I'll be happy to help. :tu:

Mark #2
08-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the information, but I see better than most of the people I am around.
Just noticed that I am pushing the fortune cookies a little farther away to read but haven't run out of arm length yet.

Never been to see anyone, my sister is an optician, probably better to talk to her than a bunch of truck guys...:tongue:
Thanks for the local reference though.

wesman
08-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the club! I did mine 8 years ago thru my eye doc, who at the time fronted for Beacon Eye Centers. I had to fly to Canada to get mine done, because FDA approval wasn't complete, and I would've had to do one eye at a time and no astigmatism correction. I was 20-15 immediately, and have had nothign but great vision ever since! The only issue I have now isn't even related to the zapping: I'm 43, and eyes lose the ability to focus (due to the lens hardening with age) at about 40-50, and so I"m having trouble focusing these days (otherwise known as "long-arm disease"). My wife had hers done just 2 years ago, and wishes she hadn't waited.

Anyone who's toying with the idea: do it. There is no question that it works, is safe, and worth it. If someone wants a really great eye doc, holler at me and I'll pass his info along.

We need a new icon for Tex :ron:

wesman
08-13-2006, 01:42 AM
Been about 5.5 years with Boothe now, can still see superb :)

BC Lightning
08-13-2006, 01:55 AM

How about a "No one cares what you think" icon for Tex :d

dboat
08-13-2006, 02:14 PM

:throw: :throw: :rll:

Tex Arcana
08-13-2006, 02:25 PM
:shrug: what can I say, I've had alot of experience with this particular subject. If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore; personally, I think that's gutless, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Tex Arcana
08-13-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, I know who cares, and I know who doesn't. If you don't care, do like I suggested to wesman, be gutless, put me on ignore. Those who trust me enough to ask me my opinion are basically the only ones who matter, as far as I'm concerned; the rest of ya can all curl up and die. ;)

Mika
08-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, I know who cares, and I know who doesn't. If you don't care, do like I suggested to wesman, be gutless, put me on ignore. Those who trust me enough to ask me my opinion are basically the only ones who matter, as far as I'm concerned; the rest of ya can all curl up and die. ;)

You finally came out of your shell and decided to let others know how you REALLY feel????:rll:

Mika(glad I'm not the only oneknana )