PDA

View Full Version : Sparkplug-Head warranty info

DWSmooth
12-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Just wanted to pass along some information that I received regarding warranties and blown spark plugs.

My 01 had a ticking sound that sounded like an exhaust leak on the passenger side; I tightened up all the bolts on the headers, down pipe, and the rest. But the noise didn’t change at all. Drove it for a couple of days trying to find the issue until….kaboom, lost a plug.

When I picked up the L today I was asking about changing the plugs to a non-Ford plug for better performance (I’ve heard the factory plugs are not recommended for supercharged engines?). My service tech said if Ford installed the plugs I would be covered if one blew again, but the supervisor say NO! If they are not Factory Ford plugs then Ford would not cover the work to replace the head no matter what.

I hope the information is helpful to anyone who is considering replacing the plugs in their L. And I wanted to know if anyone else has non-Factory plugs in their L and has had a head replaced under warranty.

Regards,

David

SILVER2000SVT
12-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I had NGK's in mine when it blew, and it wasn't even under warranty. THat's when they sold me the extended warranty and covered it.

So when they replaced the head they put 3 of my old NGK's back in and one new ford plug. I tried to bribe them to put a new set of NGK's in but nothing doing...I even left the plugs on the seat with a $20 and they wouldn't do it...

I ended up driving home and changing all the plugs... good thing too, because there was a loose plug on the other head...I called and complained about that, I mean they pulled the engine and everything and couldn't even check the tightness of the plugs on the other head.

99WhiteBeast
12-08-2004, 10:07 PM
I ended up driving home and changing all the plugs... good thing too, because there was a loose plug on the other head...I called and complained about that, I mean they pulled the engine and everything and couldn't even check the tightness of the plugs on the other head.
:bs that is so weak- A good tech should be able to change/check those in a half hour.

DWSmooth- good to know about the factory plugs- I knew I was keeping a set around for a reason:tu:

L8 APEX
12-08-2004, 10:11 PM
I have Kenny's truck in the shop now. Check this.. He had an extended warranty 75K, original owner, no mods. Takes it in at 73K miles for a ticking noise. They said they couldn't find it and it may be exhaust related. Not to worry since it was documented they would cover it down the road. A few months later 78K miles it launches a plug and no dealer will cover it:Bullshit :flaming: . So I am replacing the head for him dealer quoted $3200 for the repair.

wesman
12-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Sounds like a court case to me.

--wes