PDA

View Full Version : 2004 new lightning stumbling @ boost problem solved

Beaudee
12-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Finally found my problem with my new L.Under full boost the intake is sucking in oil fowling plugs,detonation and who knows what else.Anyone buying a new or used L make sure it has a oil seperator btwn. PCV valve and intake.What a lowsy design by ford, no baffle in valve cover.I am so pist!I am just glad i found this with only 600 miles.Dealership is going to pay for oil seperator and file a complaint with Ford!I am installing a Steeds New Oil Seperator found @ allfordmustangs.com.U-all better protect yours! :beer:

L8 APEX
12-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Oil suckage is not the issue. Keep looking for the real source of your trouble.

Alpine
12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Thats odd. 93,000 miles, no oil seperator with no problems here. Never had fouling plugs and running 15 pounds of boost.:confused: Terry is right, you have other issues.

Jeff.

Beaudee
12-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Oil suckage is not the issue. Keep looking for the real source of your trouble.
Wrong Chief you better read up on this,very common with the ford cobra and lightning.You should see the horror pictures of new L with low miles.This is a problem ford is working on as we speek!Problem occurs with supercharged engines mostly but Ford also has complaints with non-supercharged engines also.Keep driven urs without it!Goodluck and goodbuy! ;)

03LightningRocks
12-08-2004, 09:01 PM
I don't think you got what Terry was trying to tell you. Yes, we all know about oil sucking into the intake. It's been doing it since the 1999 L's came out. There is no way in hell, that the oil sucking in would cause the symptoms you speak of.

The person that is telling you this is full of sh!t........How's that for clarification?

You get partial forgiveness for you rudeness due only to the fact that your a noob and may not realize you have hopped into a pool of serious Lightning enthusiasts that know what the hell they are talking about.

Check back with me Beau, when your Lightning is quick enough to beat my tow vehicle.

Rocks:tu:

Alpine
12-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Wrong Chief you better read up on this,very common with the ford cobra and lightning.You should see the horror pictures of new L with low miles.This is a problem ford is working on as we speek!Problem occurs with supercharged engines mostly but Ford also has complaints with non-supercharged engines also.Keep driven urs without it!Goodluck and goodbuy! ;)
Good luck, thats some funny $hit:rll: Almost as funny as fowling, speek, and goodbuy! Really man its not going to cause the problems you are having . Just a messy intercooler. Ron....:bows

00Bolt
12-08-2004, 09:03 PM
sounds like a young scott here... word of advice grasshopper.... dont get on Terrys bad side :hammer:

L-Fever
12-08-2004, 09:08 PM

This is :Bullshit These guys know what they are talking about and they are trying to help you! Don't be so sure that your problem is fixed! :hammer: Good luck!

Beaudee
12-08-2004, 09:23 PM
I don't think you got what Terry was trying to tell you. Yes, we all know about oil sucking into the intake. It's been doing it since the 1999 L's came out. There is no way in hell, that the oil sucking in would cause the symptoms you speak of.

The person that is telling you this is full of sh!t........How's that for clarification?

You get partial forgiveness for you rudeness due only to the fact that your a noob and may not realize you have hopped into a pool of serious Lightning enthusiasts that know what the hell they are talking about.

Check back with me Beau, when your Lightning is quick enough to beat my tow vehicle.

Rocks:tu:If i need a furnace in my L Ill call U! Where is everyones sense of humor?My truck has been in the shop more than in the garage.Dealer checked everything. No problems! The stumbling only last for 5-8 sec. then the truck runs fine, and only does this under full boost.We removed line and found oil dripping out of line and fitting. :throw:

Shiner1
12-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Wrong Chief you better read up on this,very common with the ford cobra and lightning.You should see the horror pictures of new L with low miles.This is a problem ford is working on as we speek!Problem occurs with supercharged engines mostly but Ford also has complaints with non-supercharged engines also.Keep driven urs without it!Goodluck and goodbuy! ;)This ought to be good....I need the popcorn eating smiley. :evil

Shiner1
12-08-2004, 09:36 PM
If i need a furnace in my L Ill call U! Where is everyones sense of humor?My truck has been in the shop more than in the garage.Dealer checked everything. No problems! The stumbling only last for 5-8 sec. then the truck runs fine, and only does this under full boost.We removed line and found oil dripping out of line and fitting. :throw:
This is even better...:evil

WA 2 FST
12-08-2004, 09:36 PM
The oil dripping is not abnormal, my friend. My '99L ran great til the day I sold (and beyond) and it never had an oil seperator and it never had a stumbling problem. I'm not saying Ford's design is good. It's not. After time you'll get oil all caked in the rubber intake boot, the throttle body, and down in the intercooler.

The oil seperator is a good idea. I have one on my '04. It will not, by itself, _completely_ solve the oil blow-through issue. It helps, but it doesn't remedy the situation 100%.

If the dealer says that's the problem, and the reason yours is running poorly, then they don't know anything (yes, there ARE Ford techs out there who don't know #$%^). Long-term, oil control issues may indeed cause this type of scenario, but not at 600 miles... unless there was a line plugged or run incorrectly from the factory. Still... the Ford design isn't the source of your problem.

But it is good that you are getting a free oil seperator from Ford.

03LightningRocks
12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
OK..........proceed onward. It sounds to me like you have it all figured out:rolleyes: .

Beaudee
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
:banana: Hey guys , i'm not a member of your club and i am sorry if i offended any of you.I think your club is great and a fine place for valuable information!If we ever meet I'll buy the Beer! BeauDiddly!!!!!!!!

L1nt2B
12-08-2004, 09:39 PM
damn dude you sure have a mouth on you...I would say thats a major F up getting into a argument with Terry on what is and what ain't when it comes to the L. :nono: The furnace in my L was funny though :d

03LightningRocks
12-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Wes....I liked the one about the oil causing detonation. That really tells us alot about what we ar dealing with here...:rll: :rll: :rll: .

WA 2 FST
12-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Beau,

I think we're all trying to help when we explain that the dealer or tech you're using is blowing smoke up your butt with that poor explaination of the problem.

If you check _every_ Lightning with 600 miles on it, that has been at full throttle even just a couple of times... you'll find some oil residue where you are finding it on yours. These trucks don't have stumbling problems, install an oil seperator, and then magically run well again.

No one is saying the seperator is a bad modification to make. We just don't want you to get snowed by the dealer or tech you're using. That's all.

WA 2 FST
12-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Wes....I liked the one about the oil causing detonation. That really tells us alot about what we ar dealing with here...:rll: :rll: :rll: .
:tu:

I would say if oil contamination is causing detonation... then Ford must've screwed up on his truck and plumbed an open oil feed line into the lower manifold. ;)

Oil contamination of the fuel supply definitely lowers the effective octane of gas, but for it to lower it enough to cause detonation... there's something SERIOIUSLY wrong, and it has nothing to do with the PCV system.

Alpine
12-08-2004, 09:54 PM
Beau,

Guys like Ron and Wes, Rob and Terry, are why TALON is such a great place to learn about are trucks. They have been there, done that. They make it easy for us to not make the wrong decisions, and help solve members problems. They really dont want you to get screwed and want you to enjoy your truck. Listen to them , I do. I have had my truck for 4 years and still learn from these guys.

Thanks fellas.
Jeff.

Beaudee
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
Wes....I liked the one about the oil causing detonation. That really tells us alot about what we ar dealing with here...:rll: :rll: :rll: .I was speeking of long term Gas Man!Be nice.Heres one for you since we are humerous today and its in your ballpark: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsy roll pop? :d

Beaudee
12-08-2004, 10:01 PM
I was speeking of long term Gas Man!Be nice.Heres one for you since we are humerous today and its in your ballpark: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsy roll pop? :d
Ill leave, thanks for the info and the fun, see ya on the road.I only ran the tread to maybe help some other newbe.Thanks Gentlemen

99WhiteBeast
12-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Welcome to Talon:D

03LightningRocks
12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Thanks For Dropping by....don't let the door hit in the ass on the way out....

Rocks http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226devil_birds.GIF

SILVER2000SVT
12-08-2004, 10:23 PM
don't want to offend anybody if you work for ford, but most of the ford techs don't know their head from their a$$. I had a low boost problem for over a year, had the techs look at it 3 or 4 times and told me everything was perfect every time. I was only getting 5 lbs of boost! I finally decided to look at it myself and in less than 5 minutes time I found a busted boost actuator diaphram that was causing the problem.

Moral of the the story is that Ford was positive that I was out of my mind that something was wrong because the computer wasn't telling them there was a problem. That's what you get for having somebody trained to punch buttons but doesn't have a clue of how the truck really works.

WA 2 FST
12-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks For Dropping by....don't let the door hit in the ass on the way out....

Rocks http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/226devil_birds.GIF
Amen to that. I tried the diplomatic approach w/ the guy, and that didn't work either.

C ya... in my rearview!

WA 2 FST
12-08-2004, 11:27 PM
don't want to offend anybody if you work for ford, but most of the ford techs don't know their head from their a$$. I had a low boost problem for over a year, had the techs look at it 3 or 4 times and told me everything was perfect every time. I was only getting 5 lbs of boost! I finally decided to look at it myself and in less than 5 minutes time I found a busted boost actuator diaphram that was causing the problem.

Moral of the the story is that Ford was positive that I was out of my mind that something was wrong because the computer wasn't telling them there was a problem. That's what you get for having somebody trained to punch buttons but doesn't have a clue of how the truck really works.
Correct, Jason. I do understand this to an extent. They are trained to work on many different cars/trucks. When you get a "one off" production vehicle like a Lightning or Cobra, with some very application-specific parts (like in your case, the boost actuator) then that may stump some people. They are trained to diagnose things based on scan tools, etc.

Same type of thing with this oil control issue.

Texas Terminator
12-08-2004, 11:45 PM
HA! i see pissing matches happen in all the forums! :rll:

FWIW, the LS-X motors have an issue sucking oil in the intake too. some use a catch can, i just redesigned mine.

03LightningRocks
12-08-2004, 11:55 PM

FWIW, the LS-X motors have an issue sucking oil in the intake too. some use a catch can, i just redesigned mine.
Pissing matches around here usually stem from some FNG, popping in for a big slice of "humble pie";) . I love it when some guy with 400 miles on his truck comes off like the wizard of lightnings.

Anyway.....it's nice to hear that Lightnings aren't the only vehicles with this problem. It sounds like you fellows are having to deal with it in a very similar manner to us....The oil sucking, that is.

Rocks:beer:

WA 2 FST
12-08-2004, 11:56 PM

In all honesty, I have to say this board has some of the most "mature acting" internet users/forum members of any I've been on, or am currently on and around. And I mean that as a sincere compliment to the long-time members/administrators of TALON.

Usually guys like you or Nathan would be seen as "trolls"... which you're not, but you know what I'm talking about. People get all defensive about their own make/model of vehicle. It's rather silly, since we all like to go fast, and if we pull our heads out, we would respect anything that is classy and fast.

This thread is a simple situation of us trying to inform someone of something we do know about, and have experience with, and yet those who are trying to help just get a disrespectful response.

BTW, I agree with you on the LSX motors, and can be even worse than these when you add forced induction b/c the LSX system wasn't designed for it.

I am curious about your mods, since I too have an LSX-based vehicle in my garage. I think you're running great, so continued best of luck with it.

Texas Terminator
12-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I must say, i appreciate not being bashed here. Thanks guys. Hot rods are hot rods. I don't care what it is. :tu:

Texas Terminator
12-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Oh yea, i couldn't help but notice your Lingenfelter Vette 2FST! :bows You suck. Feel free to give me a shout sometime, i'll share with ya.

my2002lightning
12-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Beau,
Welcome to TALON. :nana2 We having fun yet? :d

I've spoken with the Svc. desk at Bankston/Frisco and they "almost" forbade me to put a thicker oil than Royal Purple 5w-20 in my stock '02 L. :cool:

They told me that 1 qt. of oil consumption every 900 miles is expected. Believe me, Suzie likes her Royal-Purple by the quart!

03LightningRocks
12-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Beau,
Welcome to TALON. :nana2 We having fun yet? :d

:rll:

Hey Ronald....this thread needs to be hijacked. How about you share a :ron: with us here?

Rocks:cool:

Silver_2000
12-09-2004, 12:38 AM
In all honesty, I have to say this board has some of the most "mature acting" internet users/forum members of any I've been on, or am currently on and around. And I mean that as a sincere compliment to the long-time members/administrators of TALON.

Usually guys like you or Nathan would be seen as "trolls"... which you're not, but you know what I'm talking about. People get all defensive about their own make/model of vehicle. It's rather silly, since we all like to go fast, and if we pull our heads out, we would respect anything that is classy and fast.

This thread is a simple situation of us trying to inform someone of something we do know about, and have experience with, and yet those who are trying to help just get a disrespectful response.

BTW, I agree with you on the LSX motors, and can be even worse than these when you add forced induction b/c the LSX system wasn't designed for it.

I am curious about your mods, since I too have an LSX-based vehicle in my garage. I think you're running great, so continued best of luck with it.
Wes thanks for the compliments and its great to see you back online and participating, a weclome addition

beaudee - There are some really expereinced - dare I say smart lightning folks here. Lots of miles and lots of 1/4 miles and lots of dollars behind us..

If the dealer installed it for free and your problem went away then thats great however - we dont think that the oil was the issue. We ALL had the same oil build up - none caused your issue. In fact in a few days I will have a 2004 with 30 miles on it - we can do a test...

Anyway the folks in TALON are here to help ... You need to understand that they can be an ornery bunch at times...

Good luck

Doug

my2002lightning
12-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Uncle Rocks,

OK! :rll: I've got some .223 Tracer rds. down in the garage along with probably 200 rds. of soft-points that the local range will let me run in the Mini.

I'm looking to get some daytime/nightime video of me shooting the tracers. I'm curious as to bbl. residue, but since the Mini-14 is stainless...

Bringing back the .44 Desert Eagle and ammo. and Unsane and I are hitting the range.:d

Oh, yeah! I sustained 120 on the way to Hallsville playing catch-up with the convoy. knana Dustin can confirm.

The venison stir-fry this evening wasn't that great. Gotta' work on my "kitchen game".:D

Hey Ronald....this thread needs to be hijacked. How about you share a :ron: with us here?

03LightningRocks
12-09-2004, 01:07 AM
The venison stir-fry this evening wasn't that great. Gotta' work on my "kitchen game".:D

What was not good about it? The biggest mistake I see most folks make with venison is they over cook it and it dries out. You also have to look at the cuts just like you would beef. There are different muscle gruops on a deer, just like on beef.

I have seen the processing houses slice up any old hunk of meat and label it round steak. The problem with this is that you really need to know which cut your dealing with to know how it will cook best. Cuts from the sirloin tip work best for things like stir fry.

By the way........I think getting married may have caused you to loose your :ron: edge. That was a really poor example. You left out your youth and school history. There where no comparisons of old girl friends....or band camp stories. I am a little disapointed :cool:

my2002lightning
12-09-2004, 01:28 AM
Well,

Actually, it was Regan's "gimme" venison from a few years back and another packing house. Looking fwd. to my 9 ptr. and the doe.

I don't comment on "prior history" anymore as I'm changed man - the stories :d . I'm devoted to Sweetie now.:)

What was not good about it? The biggest mistake I see most folks make with venison is they over cook it and it dries out. You also have to look at the cuts just like you would beef. There are different muscle gruops on a deer, just like on beef.

I have seen the processing houses slice up any old hunk of meat and label it round steak. The problem with this is that you really need to know which cut your dealing with to know how it will cook best. Cuts from the sirloin tip work best for things like stir fry.

By the way........I think getting married may have caused you to loose your :ron: edge. That was a really poor example. You left out your youth and school history. There where no comparisons of old girl friends....or band camp stories. I am a little disapointed :cool:

03LightningRocks
12-09-2004, 01:34 AM
Ronald...here is a good easy to make recipe.

Two lbs of "round steak"(no need to "marinate" it in anything;) )
One onion...sliced
One Bell Pepper...cut into strips about 1/4in wide
Two cloves garlic...put through a garlic press. (can use the powdered stuff if desperate)
1/8th teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of salt
A cup or so of flour
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
enough oil in a large skillet to fry in( about a half inch on bottom)
Season meat with pepper(no salt on meat...it dries it out)
Slice up round steak into strips about 1/2 inch wide.
Beat meat strips with a meat hammer to help tenderize it
Dredge meat slices in flour(I like to press the flour into the meat real good so it stays on better when cooking)
Heat Oil to around 300-350 degrees(hot enough to sizzle when you drop a speck of flour in it)
Throw Onion Slices, Bell Pepper and garlic in oil
Cook just untill slightly browned
Remove onion, bell pepper from oil
Brown the meat strips in the oil just enough to brown each side(no need to cook the ba-Jesus out of it)
Remove the browned strips from oil and discard all but 2 tablespoons of oil. Let the meat drain on something while you do the next step.
Make a roux(sp?) using 2 tablespoons of the flour and the oil in the pan.
Once the flour and oil are smooth and consistant, add the 2 cans of mushroom soup to the skillet.
Add one can of water...sometimes I have to add a little more water to get the consistency I want.(smooth...like soup:D ) Throw in a beef bullion cube for a little more "friendy" taste for the neophites.
Once you have it mixed up and smooth...add back in the onions, peppers and meat.
Stir in good. Now throw in the salt....more or less to taste.
Cover and simmer over low...low heat for 45 minutes...stiring occasionally(every 15 minutes or so)
If the soup is getting to thick...add small amounts of water as needed.

Serve over white rice and with some french style green beans(the soup is good over them too:D )

Oh yeah.....I am hungry now:d

Rocks:beer:

Beaudee
12-09-2004, 01:54 AM

I am curious about your mods, since I too have an LSX-based vehicle in my garage. I think you're running great, so continued best of luck with it.Did i ask for help?Some people talk but can't walk the walk!

03LightningRocks
12-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Try to stay on topic Beau. This thread is about Recipes now.

Showtime
12-09-2004, 02:50 AM

Nuhklz
12-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Welcome to Talon:D http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif

I hope this dude has a good recipie for humble pie

Beaudee
12-09-2004, 08:07 AM

By the way........I think getting married may have caused you to loose your :ron: edge. That was a really poor example. You left out your youth and school history. There where no comparisons of old girl friends....or band camp stories. I am a little disapointed :cool:I don't dear hunt but i do a lot of bird hunting.Love venison though!You want to here something funny i killed more dove with my L than i did with my shotgun all season.They cant get out of the way fast enough! :evil

Silver_2000
12-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Did i ask for help?Some people talk but can't walk the walk!
No you didnt ask for help ... And with your attitude you wont be gettting any - So Im sure we will meet your epectations...

You offered your experience with a dealer. We dont believe your dealer knows what they are talking about. Dealers will fill your ears with whatever they think you will buy. In out collective opinion - much of it is ****.

Im done trying to explain.
I really hope you are not working on the planes...

Beaudee
12-09-2004, 08:12 AM
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif

I hope this dude has a good recipie for humble pieNope just a good smile mister!You would like me if we met.You guys are deffinitly entertaining! :d

Beaudee
12-09-2004, 08:20 AM
No you didnt ask for help ... And with your attitude you wont be gettting any - So Im sure we will meet your epectations...

You offered your experience with a dealer. We dont believe your dealer knows what they are talking about. Dealers will fill your ears with whatever they think you will buy. In out collective opinion - much of it is ****.

Im done trying to explain.
I really hope you are not working on the planes...Your right my dealer doesn't know i brought this to his attention.Why the attitude? I am one of the many aviations best and i do work on the aircraft,take pride in my work.One thing i learned nobody nows everything always be open minded.Cut me a break i was just haven fun!

Beaudee
12-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Your right my dealer doesn't know i brought this to his attention.Why the attitude? I am one of the many aviations best and i do work on the aircraft,take pride in my work.One thing i learned nobody nows everything always be open minded.Cut me a break i was just haven fun!
Gentlemen let me try a few things and get more familiar with my truck, work with dealer.If i have unsolved issues i would gladdly meet any of you and accept any advice and or opinions.Everyone have a Merry X-Mas

WA 2 FST
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
xxxxeditedxxxx

tliss
12-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Beau,

Some of the guys here know more about these engines than the guys that built them. I take what these guys say to heart whenever they state anything. Opinions are like a$$holes...but most of these guys are not just spouting off their opinions...

You know about first impressions, right? Well, you come on here stating your issue, we call you on it (because generally speaking the guys here know what they are talking about and will question something they don't feel is accurate) and you return with attitude. Even if it was all in good fun, you realize that the rookie on the football team generally can't screw around too much without getting smacked back down into place by the veterans. A few have joined the board and started out that way only to find that they got on the bad side of a lot of people rather quickly...a guy named "scott015" started like that. He did, however, change his tune when he realized that the knowledge you can get from these guys that put their heart and soul into these trucks is priceless, and far exceeds anything a dealership service writer can tell you (most service writers and Ford techs work on all Ford products...the guys here pretty much specialize in Lightnings). All of the guys here are good guys, and the whole purpose of what is going on is we want to inform you and make sure you don't end up getting screwed. Come in, listen to what these guys have to say, and do with the info what you will. If you have definitive proof that the info you are getting is not right, correct it and provide backup (don't just say "well, that's what the service writer told me, nana nana boo boo"...that will get you nowhere with these guys).

We're all here to help eachother enjoy these trucks and have a good time doing so. Don't get pissy with the guys around here or your stay will be short-lived. Just come around, have fun, and relax...we're all friends here.

Tom

Mark #2
12-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Gentlemen let me try a few things and get more familiar with my truck, work with dealer.If i have unsolved issues i would gladdly meet any of you and accept any advice and or opinions.Everyone have a Merry X-Mas
Beaudee,
Do you have a picture of the oil separator that the dealer installed? I would like to see the type and part number, as well as, the vacuum hose routing.

Mark

Beaudee
12-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Beaudee,
Do you have a picture of the oil separator that the dealer installed? I would like to see the type and part number, as well as, the vacuum hose routing.

MarkMark you can get one from ALLFORDMUSTANGS.COM or LIGHTNINGFORCEPERFORMANCE.COM. I havent received mine yet and the dealer won't be installing it just paying the bill.They are both about 50 bucks.I am not sure if this is my problem,but its a good start to remove oil from the fuel/air in the intake.I couldnt believe all the oil in that line when i took it off.My truck only acts up once in a while after driving around town then stomping on it,after letting off to idle like @ a light the truck acts like flooded out.5-10 secs. later clears up.I can smell the oil and noticed the exhaust pipes are black.I here this problem differs with driving habbits,climate .I would deffinitly install one though , its not good having the intake charge contaminated by oil.They come with installation directions. :tu:

Beaudee
12-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Beaudee,

MarkSeveral L. owners quoted " I would have one of these before i drove it off the lot" :tu:

Mark #2
12-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Mark you can get one from ALLFORDMUSTANGS.COM or LIGHTNINGFORCEPERFORMANCE.COM. I havent received mine yet and the dealer won't be installing it just paying the bill.They are both about 50 bucks.I am not sure if this is my problem,but its a good start to remove oil from the fuel/air in the intake.I couldnt believe all the oil in that line when i took it off.My truck only acts up once in a while after driving around town then stomping on it,after letting off to idle like @ a light the truck acts like flooded out.5-10 secs. later clears up.I can smell the oil and noticed the exhaust pipes are black.I here this problem differs with driving habbits,climate .I would deffinitly install one though , its not good having the intake charge contaminated by oil.They come with installation directions. :tu:
Thanks, I made my own version over a year ago based on the same air compressor technology that the above two suppliers now offer. These are not really that efficient at oil removal, better than nothing, but just barely.

I wanted to see if this was something new or special.

Also, as stated by others this is not the reason that your truck is hesitating.

Mark

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Finally found my problem with my new L.Under full boost the intake is sucking in oil fowling plugs,detonation and who knows what else.Anyone buying a new or used L make sure it has a oil seperator btwn. PCV valve and intake.What a lowsy design by ford, no baffle in valve cover.I am so pist!I am just glad i found this with only 600 miles.Dealership is going to pay for oil seperator and file a complaint with Ford!I am installing a Steeds New Oil Seperator found @ allfordmustangs.com.U-all better protect yours! :beer:

No oil suckin problems here, no seperator either.

Mark #2
12-10-2004, 05:55 PM
To all,
Until you have removed your blower and looked at the top of the intercooler, you have no idea whether or not you are injesting oil.

We all are, those with higher boost=higher blow by= more oil vapor=more injestion.

Mark

Sandman
12-10-2004, 06:03 PM
If we are really sucking in that much oil, wouldn't it show up on the dipstick? I know of one person who complains of burning oil (:ron: ), but most do not. I know I empty out my oil separator about every 1000 miles and it is 3/4's full. That along with whatever is going into my intake, is not enough to make my oil level go to low on the dipstick.

99WhiteBeast
12-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Here's mine after 65K
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9338&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

Everyone is getting oil in there unless you block it off and and install breathers.

Beaudee
12-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks, I made my own version over a year ago based on the same air compressor technology that the above two suppliers now offer. These are not really that efficient at oil removal, better than nothing, but just barely.

I wanted to see if this was something new or special.

Also, as stated by others this is not the reason that your truck is hesitating.

MarkAny ideas on other things to look at.Dealer gave up, problem is hard to duplicate sometimes.I did put heat in the fuel and am still working on that tank of gas.Changed fuel filter,dealer checked injecters,fuel press computer and we had trouble duplicating the symptom.I am all ears anybody!!!!!!!!!

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Here's mine after 65K
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9338&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1

Everyone is getting oil in there unless you block it off and and install breathers.

Should you pul the blower and intercooler and clean it out periodically?

99WhiteBeast
12-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Any ideas on other things to look at.Dealer gave up, problem is hard to duplicate sometimes.I did put heat in the fuel and am still working on that tank of gas.Changed fuel filter,dealer checked injecters,fuel press computer and we had trouble duplicating the symptom.I am all ears anybody!!!!!!!!!
What kinds of mods do you have? I've seen a few trucks in past month with melted electrodes on the plugs due to lean conditions.

I would pull and check plugs for the heck of it. You should go ahead and replace them while your there.

99WhiteBeast
12-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Should you pul the blower and intercooler and clean it out periodically?
IMO yes- every 50K or say depending upon your boost levels. Its not that bad a job about 3 to 4 hours dpedning upon how anal you are on getting it clean.
B12 Chemtool works wonders on that burnt on residue

Beaudee
12-10-2004, 07:43 PM
IMO yes- every 50K or say depending upon your boost levels. Its not that bad a job about 3 to 4 hours dpedning upon how anal you are on getting it clean.
B12 Chemtool works wonders on that burnt on residue
There is an easy way to see if oil is gettin there, pull the hose off and look!

WA 2 FST
12-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Any ideas on other things to look at.Dealer gave up, problem is hard to duplicate sometimes.I did put heat in the fuel and am still working on that tank of gas.Changed fuel filter,dealer checked injecters,fuel press computer and we had trouble duplicating the symptom.I am all ears anybody!!!!!!!!!Oh my. I thought we are all TOLD by the expert that the oil in the PCV system was the problem??????????????

Maybe we aren't so dumb after all?????????????

Hmm... I have no idea what the problem might be, if the dealer can't figure it out. :tongue:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but after being told I can't "walk the walk", I have no advice for the expert.

Alpine
12-10-2004, 08:01 PM
There is an easy way to see if oil is gettin there, pull the hose off and look!Is it hard for you to understand what people are saying? The question was do you need to pull your blower and clean your intercooler. Blacksunshine did not ask how you can check for oil. We all know oil gets in there, how hard is it for you to understand. Do you know that when you put your oil seperator on , which goes in between the passenger side pcv and the upper intake, your still going to get oil. The oil ALSO comes from the drivers side head that connects to your rubber boot. What is the dealer going to do about that side Einstein? Thats where your oil is coming from. Your seperator doesnt even go on that side. The seperator helps to stop some oil from going in the upper intake, not the boot. Your NOT telling us something we dont know. Oil seperators have been around for a long time. We all know where to get them and what they are for. Go walk the walk down to the dealer and let them figure it out for you. We dont know what we are talking about.

Beaudee
12-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Is it hard for you to understand what people are saying? The question was do you need to pull your blower and clean your intercooler. Blacksunshine did not ask how you can check for oil. We all know oil gets in there, how hard is it for you to understand. Do you know that when you put your oil seperator on , which goes in between the passenger side pcv and the upper intake, your still going to get oil. The oil ALSO comes from the drivers side head that connects to your rubber boot. What is the dealer going to do about that side Einstein? Thats where your oil is coming from. Your seperator doesnt even go on that side. The seperator helps to stop some oil from going in the upper intake, not the boot. Your NOT telling us something we dont know. Oil seperators have been around for a long time. We all know where to get them and what they are for. Go walk the walk down to the dealer and let them figure it out for you. We dont know what we are talking about.I understand!Say anyone ever tried 2 sep. in series to see how well one works?

Avalanche
12-10-2004, 11:15 PM
You know i usually don't get involved in these kind of issues but you must be the most moronic person in the work. You CAN run two in series but what about the DRIVERS side????? You will need to put one on the dirvers side also. Hey why don't you try out the 03 cobra PCV valve and dime mod???

SHHHHH!!!!!!!! you guys don't say a word we are stupid remember????

Silver_2000
12-10-2004, 11:17 PM
I understand!Say anyone ever tried 2 sep. in series to see how well one works?
Yes that has been tried

Go to f150Online.com go to the Lightning forum and search for oil separator...

YOu will have weeks of reading to look over

03LightningRocks
12-10-2004, 11:29 PM
OK fellers...Beau started out a little ruff, but from reading his last few posts...he be Trying...LOL. Let's cut the guy some slack. Remember how fricking cool it was when we all first got our L's. He has the dealer throwing all kinds of crap at him. How's he know what to believe...:beer: .

Let's try to see if we can finger this out...:d . If I am hearing you right Beau...your saying it stumbles occasionally(rough idle?), when you are just sitting still at a light? Maybe throttle position sensor??? What do some of ya'll think....take this chance to tell me if I am full of it...LOL. But you have to tell me why and what else it could be.

02BOLT
12-10-2004, 11:30 PM
The oil ALSO comes from the drivers side head that connects to your rubber boot. What is the dealer going to do about that side Einstein? Go walk the walk down to the dealer and let them figure it out for you. We dont know what we are talking about.

:rll: :rll: :rll:
Honestly, this thread needs to die. You obviously cannot tell this cool breeze anything he doesn't already know. It's not worth the time or aggravation involved. Goodluck with your stumbling problem......Einstein.:rolleyes:

TP Derrick D
12-10-2004, 11:56 PM
OK fellers...Beau started out a little ruff, but from reading his last few posts...he be Trying...LOL. Let's cut the guy some slack. Remember how fricking cool it was when we all first got our L's. He has the dealer throwing all kinds of crap at him. How's he know what to believe...:beer: .

Let's try to see if we can finger this out...:d . If I am hearing you right Beau...your saying it stumbles occasionally(rough idle?), when you are just sitting still at a light? Maybe throttle position sensor??? What do some of ya'll think....take this chance to tell me if I am full of it...LOL. But you have to tell me why and what else it could be.

Hey Rocks, what's up man? losing your touch? This is your new Scott and you letting him get away like that? Man I never thought I'd see the day! :rll:
Let me give you some material to work with: 1) newbie 2) just got an '04 L and Gen2 L's been out since '99(guess no one owned one till now) 3) Dumb question after question and dumber answer 4 ) pretty much dissing the long time L owners and their expertise... whew... I'll quit now...

TP Derrick D
12-11-2004, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=03LightningRocks]OK fellers...Beau started out a little ruff, but from reading his last few posts...he be Trying...LOL. Let's cut the guy some slack. Remember how fricking cool it was when we all first got our L's. He has the dealer throwing all kinds of crap at him. How's he know what to believe...:beer: .

:hammer:

03LightningRocks
12-11-2004, 12:29 AM
I must be getting soft....LOL...it's the christmas season messing with my head;) .

I still remember Scott threatenin to whup me at the track....all because I didn't like his exhaust....:rll: . He's still on probation. Scott may turn out OK....time will tell:D .

At least Beau didn't out Terry and call Doug a Cock Sucker...or was Doug the old man...I don't remember, It is all a blurr.

Rocks

Hey Rocks, what's up man? losing your touch? This is your new Scott and you letting him get away like that? Man I never thought I'd see the day! :rll:
Let me give you some material to work with: 1) newbie 2) just got an '04 L and Gen2 L's been out since '99(guess no one owned one till now) 3) Dumb question after question and dumber answer 4 ) pretty much dissing the long time L owners and their expertise... whew... I'll quit now...

dboat
12-11-2004, 07:40 AM
I just read this whole thread and felt like I was back on F150online.com...

:evil :hammer:

and I have to say, Rocks, are you getting a little softer on this stuff in your old age? remeber, I am your elder!! :D

Dana

Beaudee
12-11-2004, 07:59 AM
I must be getting soft....LOL...it's the christmas season messing with my head;) .

I still remember Scott threatenin to whup me at the track....all because I didn't like his exhaust....:rll: . He's still on probation. Scott may turn out OK....time will tell:D .

At least Beau didn't out Terry and call Doug a Cock Sucker...or was Doug the old man...I don't remember, It is all a blurr.

RocksThanks Bro, i didnt mean to come on so strong, must be the stress of wondering,and deffinitly the beer!You all have some nice rides,been looking @ web sites,pictures.Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Beaudee
12-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Oh my. I thought we are all TOLD by the expert that the oil in the PCV system was the problem??????????????

Maybe we aren't so dumb after all?????????????

Hmm... I have no idea what the problem might be, if the dealer can't figure it out. :tongue:

Sorry for the sarcasm, but after being told I can't "walk the walk", I have no advice for the expert.
Walk the walk was just a challenge to get your opinion.Enjoyed your pics!! ;)

00Bolt
12-11-2004, 09:57 AM
I still remember Scott threatenin to whup me at the track....all because I didn't like his exhaust.... . He's still on probation. Scott may turn out OK....time will tell

good ol days :rll:

Beaudee
12-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Rocks:cool:I noticed throttle cables are very loose 1/4" away from action.Normal? If not were do you adjust and how? :tu:

Silver_2000
12-11-2004, 10:59 AM
closed