PDA

View Full Version : John Coletti - director of SVT - retires at 55

Silver_2000
12-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Conspiracy theorys abound

55 is young .... SVT is fading .. Is there a connection ?

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0412/12/D01-30684.htm

dboat
12-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Maybe they feel that SVT is diluting earnings... so there it goes, the way that GE got rid of small electrics, now its owned by Black and Decker...

wesman
12-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Maybe they feel that SVT is diluting earnings... so there it goes, the way that GE got rid of small electrics, now its owned by Black and Decker...
Funny that all the other domestic car makers are going the opposite direction:

Dodge- Viper,FI'd Crossfire,SRT-10 truck, FI'd Neon SRT-4, HEMI Magnum .
They are stating to take over the market it seems.

Chevy- C6 is a monster, coming out with the new Z06 , their trucks seem to be taking off again.

Oh well, not a Ford fan anyway really.....just a L fan. i sure would have liked to see the new L tho...would have most likely been the next vehicle purchased if it was anything like the concept.

--wes

WA 2 FST
12-12-2004, 04:03 PM
When I saw the thread title of the post, I thought the _exact_ same thing as you Doug.
I'd think John C. is getting tired of the bean counters at Ford. I understand turning a profit. But they have castrated SVT compared to what it once was, and what it was growing into. I'd be sick of it too.

SpeedyBolt
12-12-2004, 11:08 PM
I hope SVT still does something with the new mustang! I really want to see the cobra version!

BTW: The '05 GTO is going to have the 400hp LS2 in it also, just like the 'vette

WA 2 FST
12-12-2004, 11:48 PM
I hope SVT still does something with the new mustang! I really want to see the cobra version!

BTW: The '05 GTO is going to have the 400hp LS2 in it also, just like the 'vette
Yes, the GTO (whether you like the looks or not) is wiping the Mustang into the ground. Car and Driver already tested both cars head to head. It's not pretty. Granted, I will take the Mustang's looks over the GTO's anyday, but c'mon... Ford is bringing a knife to a gunfight at this point.

SpeedyBolt
12-13-2004, 12:05 AM
I kind-of like the looks of the GTO. It looks like a cross between a BMW and a Grand Prix. But I liked the Grand Prix's. I traded my Grand Prix GTP in on my L!!!
What did Car and driver get out of the 6.0 GTO? I've been trying to find numbers on it all night.

my2002lightning
12-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Either way, this will be interesting to see how it shakes-out for SVT/Ford and all of us. :cool:

r1eater
12-13-2004, 07:10 AM
bye bye new cobra..

The 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra is the last of its generation to be built at the historic Dearborn Assembly Plant, and only 3,768 were produced – compared to 13,476 supercharged SVT Cobras that came off the line in 2003. What's more, SVT does not plan to offer a Mustang Cobra for the 2005 or 2006 model years, meaning if you want to experience the thrill of driving an SVT Mustang Cobra anytime soon, you need to act now before they're all gone!

SVT (http://www.svt.ford.com/newsSvtSleeves.asp)

Max Mitchell
12-13-2004, 10:05 AM
JC should be so proud to have got some great vehicles out the door in this day and age IMO.

Mark #2
12-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Here is the scary part

"We absolutely have to be a leader ... in performance vehicles. It's part of our DNA. But we have to do it in a broader range than just the traditional SVT product programs," Martens said. "There's a broad opportunity for four-wheel-drive, high-performance, (four-cylinder), turbo-type of programs."
Hau Thai Tang -- Ford's newly appointed director of advanced product creation, replacing Chris Theodore, who is retiring -- has assumed responsibility for SVT.

SpeedyBolt
12-13-2004, 11:42 AM
bye bye new cobra..

The 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra is the last of its generation to be built at the historic Dearborn Assembly Plant, and only 3,768 were produced – compared to 13,476 supercharged SVT Cobras that came off the line in 2003. What's more, SVT does not plan to offer a Mustang Cobra for the 2005 or 2006 model years, meaning if you want to experience the thrill of driving an SVT Mustang Cobra anytime soon, you need to act now before they're all gone!

SVT (http://www.svt.ford.com/newsSvtSleeves.asp)

Yeah, I've heard that it wouldn't be untill '07 when the next cobra comes out. But if it's 500hp than it would be worth the wait! It really sounds like SVT is trying to change it's age group marketing! They are going to try and awnser the SRT-4 and crap like that so the "younger" crowd can afford them. :Bullshit

WA 2 FST
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I've heard that it wouldn't be untill '07 when the next cobra comes out. But if it's 500hp than it would be worth the wait! It really sounds like SVT is trying to change it's age group marketing! They are going to try and awnser the SRT-4 and crap like that so the "younger" crowd can afford them. :Bullshit
Which... you're right it is complete BS. If they want to build more of the SVT Focus and stuff like that... fine. Just tell us so.

We've been clamoring for years for Ford to build a competitor to the Vette (and no, the Cobra is NOT a competitor to the Vette). Then they do and its a $150k MSRP car they they are going to make a 3-yr limited run of. The GT is an awesome vehicle, and a tribute to what Ford _can_ build.

Now it seems they want to go after the import crowd. Have at it, guys. You won't see me even looking at a blue oval car anymore. :(

SpeedyBolt
12-13-2004, 12:57 PM
i just thought of something else about the '07 cobra. I'm not exactly sure what the HP rating is on the GT but I think it is somewhere in the 500 range. Do you really think that Ford would build the cobra up to be a direct compertitor to it's precious GT???? Probably NOT. This is what GM had been doing all this time with the 'vette and Camaro's. You want people to have to buy your "flagship".

WA 2 FST
12-13-2004, 01:04 PM
I believe the GT is 550hp, and its underrated. I've seen one test where it ran 131mph through the traps in the 1/4 mile. That's easily 600hp in a 3200lb car.

I thought the Cobra was supposed to be ready in '06. Guess not. With all these delays of SVT products, it has to make me concerned about the future of it.

Tex Arcana
12-13-2004, 02:49 PM
Sounds to me like Colletti got the "golden parachute" and a shove out the door, no matter how they're spinning it. I'm sure he's set for life financially, and his "statements" are the final part of the agreement that nets him his final payout, likely in the millions.

A little corporate politics, shufflings going on at the top levels, and someone ends up getting shoved out the door and policies and directions change. If the Freestyle/Five Hundred are any indication, it will NOT be for the better. :(

my2002lightning
12-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Here's an interesting twist to the whole story... Ford to stop producing Excursions next year?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6707145/

Silver_2000
12-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Here's an interesting twist to the whole story... Ford to stop producing Excursions next year?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6707145/
How does that connect to colleti ?

Mark #2
12-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Maybe this is the connection(lightning):)

"DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will kill off the Ford Excursion, its largest sport utility vehicle and a lightning rod for criticism from environmental groups, next year, a source familiar with the plan said on Monday."

Silver_2000
12-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Maybe this is the connection(lightning):)

"DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. will kill off the Ford Excursion, its largest sport utility vehicle and a lightning rod for criticism from environmental groups, next year, a source familiar with the plan said on Monday."
LOL - missed that sorry - LOL

rickgig
12-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Certainly John and his influence will be missed at SVT. But don't count him out either... he may very well end up out the influencing Ford in some other capacity... I've read articles on him and he is like most of us and you just can't take the motorhead out of him.

...Just a thought

Also, I thought Ford was going to be doing some stuff with Shelby creating some runs of the Mustang like the Mach I and the Boss?

I've been absent from reading the boards for a while but I thought some of that was going to happen.

my2002lightning
12-14-2004, 03:16 PM
It's just seems that Ford is listening more and more to the bean-counters, lawyers, accountants and the tree-hugging granolas these days and emasculating almost the entire product line-up.

Lightning Dude
12-14-2004, 07:23 PM
"While Ford has announced that development of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning has been delayed until its high-performance engineers can create a new version that fits into Ford's manufacturing and marketing cadence, there can be no doubt that the F-150 Lightning is a viable SVT product with a future full of possibilities."

rickgig
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
It was inevitable that this thread would evolve into our favorite topic of late... the Gen III.

I can't remember where I saw it but I remember one of the issues being the transmission and the RPM's that the thing would have to stand up to. After all there are plent of auto trans in heavy-duty applications that can handle the tourqe but the being the former owner of two SHO's... I know first hand what high RPM's will do to a trany.

Hmmm... Maybe we should get together with Dodge... the new SRT Ram, the four door variety, comes with an auto trans... I think. Could it be that they have an answer... hopefully it downshifts correctly unlike the 6-speed.