PDA

View Full Version : Deferred Adjudication ??

tliss
12-13-2004, 01:45 PM
Since my lovely visit with the highway patrol officer on my way back from Hallsville, I ahve been contemplating which way to go...defensive driving or deferred adjudication. As tempting as getting up early on a Saturday and sitting in class all day sounds, I think I'd rather go deferred. Now the question I have about this is in order for this not to show up on my record, I must not have a similar offense during the "probation period". Does this rule imply in that I can't get a speeding ticket in that jurisdiction, or is it farther reaching than that? I'd hate to end up getting a ticket out in El Paso over the holiday and find out that I'm now screwed with both....

Any idears?:confused:

Tom

L1nt2B
12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
good question...when I got DA in mesquite it only applied to Mesquite but that was a city cop not a state trooper

Silver_2000
12-13-2004, 02:59 PM
just do the online defensive driving -

I sat with wireless laptop infront of the tube for 5 or so hours...

Pretty painless

Doug

99WhiteBeast
12-13-2004, 03:13 PM
I did deferred on the ticket I got last year going to Hallsville. It was by a trooper and only applied to that county.

my2002lightning
12-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Tom,

I'd do both as I believe that is possible - Def. Driving I hear reduces your insurance rates.

You may remember my story: http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5944&highlight=Colony

Basically, busted for 77/55 by Southlake PD (near TMS - took DA) and then approx. a month later in "The Colonic" :D by Denton Cty. for the U-Turn. Took DA both times and evidently I'm good-to-go.knana

Note, the paralegal at Martin Rubin's office advised me that after the 2nd offense, I needed to lay-low in the ENTIRE state of TX. with NO moving violations whatsoever. Also, she mentioned that alot of the jurisdictions computer/network systems don't always see the other violations and, too, the judges discretion is a big factor in these matters.

Something to keep in mind.

Ronald

Tex Arcana
12-13-2004, 04:43 PM
It's simple: Defensive Driving FIRST (cheapest overall, can only be used once in a year); Deferred Adjudication SECOND (not exactly one-shot, but you screw up in the probation period, yer screwed--yeah, I konw, some jurisdictions don't talk to each other; but the ones that DO, will SCREW you!); Attorney THIRD (last-resort, but usually works).

Tex Arcana
12-13-2004, 04:45 PM
"The Colonic"

Yanno, it would be HILARIOUS if someone went there and -ahem- "corrected" the spelling of all their signs... :d

dboat
12-13-2004, 06:33 PM
just do the online defensive driving -

I sat with wireless laptop infront of the tube for 5 or so hours...

Pretty painless

Doug

Tom,
this is the way to go.. dont do both.. you might need the other as a backup. the nice part about defensive driving is that you do get the discount.
Dana