PDA

View Full Version : Cams?? Worth it?

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-14-2004, 06:20 PM
I was looking at the crower street cams for the lightning with a .581 lift. With average mods on a stock motor what kind of HP results do you think it would produce? Is it even worth it, or it just for a built motor thing...Lopey idle is always cool.

WA 2 FST
12-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Based on my experience building various combinations (not Lightning-specific), you only want to cam the motor large enough to take advantage of the rest of the combination... heads, intake (blower included in this case) and exhaust.

Otherwise, most likely you end up with a more peaky powerband, and the top-end HP gains are not enough to offset the losses down low and in the mid-range. Can you afford to lose a little bottom-end? Sure. Most of us can. But to take advantage of the HP gain up top (I'm guessing this would only occur from ~4500rpm to redline... if that... it could be 5000rpm to redline), you would possibly need a higher stall torque converter, and other mods to aid in higher rpm engine airflow.

Personally, I'd wait and do it after you've increased the airflow potential of the rest of the motor (heads, bigger/better blower, even a bottom-end that is built to turn 6000-6500rpm).

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Sounds about right to me two thanks.

cpeapea
12-14-2004, 10:04 PM
i dig the cams ;)

Flats Man
12-14-2004, 10:12 PM
Hey Wes, I too think you are right on with your assessment! In fact I have run into some of the very things that you mentioned. I have high lift Mod Max blower cams in my 4.6L amd they turn on at about 3500rpm. Since I had a 2400 stall converter, I was using my 60 foot time to get into the power band of the motor. I am now installing a PI 3500 stall and shifting at 6500 rpm. I think that is going to work for this motor!

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-15-2004, 01:40 PM
i dig the cams ;)

I know i've heard yours...the sound is incredible. I'de be willing to put in cams for a 10 - 20 hp gain just for the lope, but not for any bottom end loss. Any issues with your motor gavin? or is it good and broken in

cpeapea
12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
its pretty well broken in now, but ive had it sitting for some follow up work like pumps and injectors and waiting on a bottle. probably going to need a new set of bigger slicks

BLACKSUNSHINE
12-17-2004, 01:39 PM
its pretty well broken in now, but ive had it sitting for some follow up work like pumps and injectors and waiting on a bottle. probably going to need a new set of bigger slicks

umm yeah....Its should crank some major horses, is your tranny up to the task? Had the tranny built?

cpeapea
12-17-2004, 06:45 PM
ha no, waiting to blow it up. ill probably have terry build me one in the next few months