PDA

View Full Version : Bad News For Motor!!!!

SpeedyBolt
12-14-2004, 07:47 PM
My cousin has a '82 Camaro that he decided to build a motor for! Now to set the stage for you, he is 18 and has never done anything to this mechanical extent in his entire life. His dad, primaraly a ford man, told him that he would help with the build. Well, after they built the motor, they called me and said they could not get it to crank. I came over and they had the valve adjusted all wrong so it had no compression! I ran the rack, to the correct lash, and still no compression. To make a long story short they bought an adjustable timming chain and lined the square up with the circle! BAD NEWS!!

As if that wasn't bad enough, my cousin called me the other day and said "man something happend to my car". He said there was a loud noise from the engine compartment and when he looked under the car he noticed a dent in the oil pan! NOW LOOK AT THE PICS AND SEE THE RESULTS OF NOT KNOWING WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING CAN CAUSE!!!!!!

Moral of this story, If you don't know ASK SOMEONE THAT DOES!!!

SpeedyBolt
12-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Here are more pics

We had to heat up the rod and bend it back in shape just to get the piston out!!! :nono:

PoorSvtman
12-14-2004, 09:01 PM
OUCH! Atleast he can say he learned something...

dboat
12-14-2004, 09:05 PM
This wouldnt have happened if he used Mobil 1... :D

cpeapea
12-14-2004, 10:12 PM
well maybe theyll torque the rods next time

SpeedyBolt
12-14-2004, 10:16 PM
well maybe theyll torque the rods next time

Yep, thats what I told him but he swears they torqued the rod bolts! But then agian he told me that he was certian that the cam was timed correctly also.

Live and learn, but this was a costly mistake. :rolleyes:

I'm glad that I will be building the next one for him!!!!! :D