PDA

View Full Version : If you were buying a new car today????

True Blue Aggie
12-15-2004, 12:43 AM
What would you get?
Right now the wife wants the Jetta GLI. As of tonight, I want the 04 Pontiac GTO, because of the significant dealer incentives.

Over on the GTO Forums, I found this...

Here in Dallas,Tx here's what im being offered
2004 Yellow GTO (color of my choice)
selling to me at
$500.00 under invoice
$5500.00 discount to get this you have to finance with GMAC.. which i always do
$1000.00 in dealers certificates

$24,395.00 drive out plus TTLThe Jetta GLI I could get for probably around 20k, but its only 180 hp....
The Mustang GT is nice, but its not a SVT (and possibly won't be now)
The Audi is last on the list, because I missed out on R1eater's S4 Rocket...

StormShadow
12-15-2004, 01:15 AM
Get her a COBRA! It's ok if she is faster than you. You can get X Plan and I think they have some incentives too. Hell buy her my truck and I'll get a cobra.

True Blue Aggie
12-15-2004, 01:18 AM
She's out on the 04 Cobra. Does not like the body style, manual shift, etc...
She also said she is out on the Lightning. One car and one truck is all we need.

Right now I am looking at all the GTO Forum websites and trying to find aftermarket parts for the GTO. So far have found exhaust, tuning, superchargers, suspension, etc....

Makes me think that I want to get her something else so I do not spend my mod money on her ride....:D

98Cobra
12-15-2004, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't do the GTO. I think its kinda cool, but the styling on the 2004 is a little on the bland side, and they are improving it for next year. Plus the 2005 will have the new Vette motor, and then you'll have buyer's remorse.

True Blue Aggie
12-15-2004, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't do the GTO. I think its kinda cool, but the styling on the 2004 is a little on the bland side, and they are improving it for next year. Plus the 2005 will have the new Vette motor, and then you'll have buyer's remorse.
Yeah I know, but once the 05 comes out, the GTO is out of my price range...sucks but thats the fact

ghostt
12-15-2004, 04:40 AM
go with the mustang , that thing they call a gto looks more like a caviler. its to bad they used that name on it , or if you really want to get an old gto . 65 always a good yr i still have mine and thats what takes the garage the L is parked outside .

Nuhklz
12-15-2004, 07:48 AM
Last October at the state fair they had a yellow GTO and a red Mustang GT on display. The Mustang looked unique and had an aggressive stance. The GTO blended in with all the other cars.

I was at Texan Ford yesterday and they had a red GT on display and it really stood out. Of course, I'm partial to red http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

Just my $0.02

02BOLT
12-15-2004, 08:42 AM
The GTO has the LS1 in it. There's a pretty decent aftermarket for those motors. If you get bored with the power, you can slap a set of ported cylinder heads and a nastier camshaft in there. That ought to wake her up!

The GTO is a nice car. I have to agree with most everyone else, in that it has a sweet interior, but the body style fails to induce coveting or lust. It's just too plain. You could slap some phatter wheels and tires on there, that should help. Still a nice car though.

Goodluck,
Rob:tu:

BTW....I'd go for the 'Stang myself.

99WhiteBeast
12-15-2004, 08:50 AM
Stang-hands down

whitelightning'02
12-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Stang-hands down
YEP!! :tu:

00Bolt
12-15-2004, 10:13 AM
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i17/03/a/03/03/ce/09_4.JPG

gets my vote

Ken
12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
If the price is right and you both like how it drives, then buy it. The great thing about bland styling is that you don't have to hack at it to improve it, just add a body kit. That's why Hondas are so popular.

Check it:
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/2004_sema/pontiacgto/images/1.jpg

Cammin4V
12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
I would take a look at the Infiniti G35. Also might look into the new Maxima or Altima, both look nice and have decent power. Only problem is FWD.

REXRENEGADE
12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
2005 Focus ZX3 !:d will more than likely be my next ride.

Mark #2
12-15-2004, 02:16 PM
I am a recent believer in all that is Honda. The V6 Accords and Acuras are great cars. No maintenance and they run great. 270 HP in the Acura.

You cannot go wrong with anything that Honda builds: Motocycles, ATVs, lawnmowers, chainsaws, cars, even boats.
http://www.honda.com/index.asp?bhcp=1

Check this out:
http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/cruiser_standard/model.asp?ModelName=Valkyrie+Rune&ModelYear=2004&ModelId=NRX18DA4

Wht95Lightning
12-15-2004, 07:13 PM
I would take a look at the Infiniti G35. Also might look into the new Maxima or Altima, both look nice and have decent power. Only problem is FWD.
The G35 is RWD, same chassis as the 350z.

I would definitely go with the Mustang. I am in love with the 05 GT. It's the best looking Stang in 30 years imho.

dboat
12-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Get the G35 with AWD, no wheelspin and lots of go..

TP Derrick D
12-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Go Mustang!! Of course everyone knows I'm partial to Mustangs & Fords. But I drove the GTO at the GM wheels in motion last month and it fell short,IMO.Has a very nice ,aggressive sound but looks like a Sunbird with big wheels and has single-sided exhaust. GM did not do the GTO name justice. Don't see any on the roads ,I think it flopped hence the big rebate.

True Blue Aggie
12-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Damn...what the hell did I expect on a Ford forum? Mustang lovers all around....

Narrowed the list down to the Mustang, GTO, and VW Jetta GLI.
On the new Mustang, I am not the biggest fan of several items. One being that they make a V6. I just hate the fact that there will be tens of thousands sold each year to some high school girl as a first car...The SVT version is so far out of date that we should not expect it till 07, if ever. Plus I cannot stand any of the wheel packages that come with the car.
If we get that, new wheels and tires are a first and a must, along with some type of drop to get that thing lower to the ground. The mod abilities are there, but the first year car bugs scare me. Plus good luck finding a Silver with black/red interior with an auto.....hell good luck finding any decent GT. Most DFW dealers only have two, and one is red, the other is the mineral grey.

The GTO has issues with its looks. Wheel packages are not the best either. Sucks that the 05 is supposed to be 400 hp, but is also going to be a mid 30's expense. The car is easy to work on though being a GM product. Mod possibilities are there, but minimal hp gains from what I could find. Tuners are available, so that could help the performance.

The Jetta only has 180 hp, and could be linked to the Ricer crowd. Price is right for a four door "sport package" car.

Acura's, Infinity's, Audi's, Saab's, etc....are out because they end up costing around 30k after the options, which is out of my budget.

I hate shopping for cars....:mad:

wesman
12-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Get the G35 with AWD, no wheelspin and lots of go..
Not avail in '04, '05 's will be waayyyy out of his price range.....35k +

Sweet rides tho

--wes

dboat
12-16-2004, 02:49 AM
I might consider the Subaru WRX, fast, AWD and the price isnt too bad.

The Acura TSX or TL is another to consider. I got my TL used at 1.5 yrs old, with 58k miles on it and at about 1/2 price. That was over a year ago and no probs with it.

How about a new Dodge Magnum with the Hemi? They can be made to look pretty sweet and they are coming out in AWD too.

Dana

Mark #2
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
I might consider the Subaru WRX, fast, AWD and the price isnt too bad.

The Acura TSX or TL is another to consider. I got my TL used at 1.5 yrs old, with 58k miles on it and at about 1/2 price. That was over a year ago and no probs with it.

How about a new Dodge Magnum with the Hemi? They can be made to look pretty sweet and they are coming out in AWD too.

DanaAgree, look for a used TL, with the new body style now out this year there will be lots of TL's available for less than $20K. These are good cars and fast. You will like it much more than the Jetta, IMHO.

If you want a Mustang buy a Mustang.

Mark

98Cobra
12-16-2004, 10:28 AM
I think of the remaining choices, I would eliminate the Jetta. If you have ever been disappointed by the build quality of a domestic vehicle, modern VWs will have you RUNNING back to domestics. This extends to certain models of the Benz lineup as well - in fact German cars in general are just not built as well as they used to be.

True Blue Aggie
12-16-2004, 06:59 PM
This is all great information. I 'll let ya know where it leads. The wife and I are headed to multiple car dealers tonight....

L8 APEX
12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
You automatically save 10-15K buying used vs new in most cases. I would get the wife a nice 4 roller she is happy with and spend more on the L:evil . The Acura TL and G35's are pimp tight rides. Nissan 3.5 Maximas, Altimas, all those little Honda type cars should last a lifetime and can be found very affordably used. Buying new for a roller is a waste IMO, let the othe rguy eat the depreciation and fees first.:tu:

SpeedyBolt
12-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Micheal,
What ever you do don't buy the GTO or the Mustang GT! If you get either one of those you'll be wanting to see how much you can put into them to make it go faster! Focus on your truck, if you had another sports car around it is way to tempting to mod them out! I have this very problem! I have too many cars that I want to do so much to and not enough cash to do it all. After Hallsville, I was ready to go DEEP into my Trans AM but have decided to wait a little while! For some, that have way too much money, this is not a problem as they can drop whatever they want on thier car and truck but for people on a budget you have to spend it on one or the other!
Get something reliable and that you won't be tempted by!

Hope this helps bro! :beer:

TP Derrick D
12-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Buy what you're happy with. Why you even ask anyone. The majority here will just give you what THEY like. Even me. But I won't consider any import when I buy. COOLNESS: MUSTANG GT 1,
IMPORTS : 0

Mark #2
12-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Buy what you're happy with. Why you even ask anyone. The majority here will just give you what THEY like. Even me. But I won't consider any import when I buy. COOLNESS: MUSTANG GT 1,
IMPORTS : 0
Import is a relative term now, I think that most are now assembled in the USA now that the Japanese cannot compete with the USA on assembly costs. The Japenese have higher wages than the USA now. Not that I have any data or anything.:D

TP Derrick D
12-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Import is a relative term now, I think that most are now assembled in the USA now that the Japanese cannot compete with the USA on assembly costs. The Japenese have higher wages than the USA now. Not that I have any data or anything.:D

Yeah I know, The COOLEST of the imports -Mercedes Benz (USA) is made in my hometown Tuscaloosa,Alabama-home of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. They got a nice big 8-10 year old plant off side of I-20. My brother works there and drive a black '03 AMG (C-class I believe)prior to that had an M-class when they first came out,then like a '00 AMG. He use his employee discount. Will use it for me but I'm not into Mercedes yet .
Thing about Mercedes being built in USA is :Rumor #1 The Germans did not want anyone but German engineers to develope the plant,#2 Run only by German management,lower management could be American but had to go to Germany for training, #3 The Germans don't want "American" built Mercedes built by "lazy" Americans. Anyway right now in life I buy American brands spelled Ford/Lincoln/Mercury :D But I hear ya, to each his own .All Hondas(Tennessee),Nissans(Carolinas ?)Toyotas and everything else ever build in a foreign country is considered an import to me. Wifey drives a $45,000 Lexus GS 300 (luxury Toyota) and I barely drive it. IT'S AN IMPORT !!!!!! :d

Tex Arcana
12-20-2004, 12:04 PM
The Goat is an import.... :d