PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with License plate question

Silver_2000
12-15-2004, 09:30 AM
When I looked over the new truck I took the License plate bracket so they couldnt mount it. I dont want the plate on the painted bumper BUT I also dont want not having a plate be an excuse for getting pulled over ... So I am looking for ideas on what can be done ...

I kow this has been discussed before BUT im serious ....

Maybe modify the stock mount to go here

http://www.svtlightnings.com/04/plate-idea-P1000389.jpg (http://www.svtlightnings.com/plate-idea-P1000389.jpg)

StormShadow
12-15-2004, 09:37 AM
edit because the link works now.

98Cobra
12-15-2004, 09:46 AM
I guess if you HAD to.

But I am risking it without the front plate for now. They are more likely to pull you over for it in the daytime, IMO, and I can deal with just a fixit ticket in that case.

whitelightning'02
12-15-2004, 09:59 AM
There was a thread about this over on NLOC a week or so ago..... guy used some aluminum angle to mount.... pretty cheap and no holes in the bumper :tu:

:beer:

Silver_2000
12-15-2004, 10:32 AM
The aluminum angle solution will just scar the **** out of your bumper as it flexes back against it over the years

http://www.nloc.net/gallery/images/full/29285-631-9897.jpg

Im looking for something a little more custom looking and less home depot looking ....
Any other ideas

Mark #2
12-15-2004, 10:57 AM
Just mount it.

You could pay someone to French it into the center of the bumper, kind of like the Vette.
Mark

Silver_2000
12-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Just mount it.

You could pay someone to French it into the center of the bumper, kind of like the Vette.
Mark
I may have to -

I wonder if the plastic is deep enough to have it frenched in ....

WA 2 FST
12-15-2004, 11:19 AM
I may have to -

I wonder if the plastic is deep enough to have it frenched in ....
I doubt it, Doug. I remember looking at the bumper cover when I was buying all the parts to convert our Expedition over to the Lightning front end. It's not very thick at all, IMHO.

I never got a ticket in my '99 in 4.5 years without a front plate, and haven't had any trouble with my '04 since I bought it. Over 5 years with no issues. Same thing for my wife in her '00 Expedition. Almost 5 years of service with no front plate, and no problems from the po-po.

I know some aren't as lucky, however.

Mark #2
12-15-2004, 12:49 PM
You don't live in Richardson do you?
Do you ever drive in Richardson? This is a favorite excuse.

Mark

Silver_2000
12-15-2004, 01:25 PM
My concern is that I dont get in much trouble and dont want any excuse for the police to pull me over if Im on my way home after having one beer after work.

I know the easy solution is not to have the beer but its just an example.

I was hoping for some ideas and encouragement to come up with a custom solution

Anyone know someone that does plastic molding ?

Doug

98Cobra
12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
You don't live in Richardson do you?
Do you ever drive in Richardson? This is a favorite excuse.

Mark
Whatever - they pull YOU over either way. :D

Mark #2
12-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Whatever - they pull YOU over either way. :D
No they just follow me home now.
They sit next to my house everyday, lasering everyone in the school zone, I have to drive around them to get onto the main road, so they know where I live.

Mark #2
12-15-2004, 03:00 PM
My concern is that I dont get in much trouble and dont want any excuse for the police to pull me over if Im on my way home after having one beer after work.

I know the easy solution is not to have the beer but its just an example.

I was hoping for some ideas and encouragement to come up with a custom solution

Anyone know someone that does plastic molding ?

Doug
Doug, there is a good body shop that does custom stuff over here if you are really interested. I'm thinking ~$1500 to French the front plate and re-paint the bumper.

99WhiteBeast
12-15-2004, 04:33 PM
There was someone a few years back that made a high quality photocopy. Then it was transferred to some type of tyvek static sticker.

It was removable and on F150 online if I remember correctly.

Not sure of the legality of this but if it was readable and the same size I don't see that this would be a problem.

Silver_2000
12-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Doug, there is a good body shop that does custom stuff over here if you are really interested. I'm thinking ~$1500 to French the front plate and re-paint the bumper.
I would rather spend the 1500 on designing a new plastic solution that might for example clip into the lower grill and be removable ....

Then sell it and buy beer with the profits :beer:

Doug

00Bolt
12-15-2004, 05:05 PM
i say just get 4 of those little suction cup things that stick to windows and also have a small hook on the ends... put those little hooks in the 4 holes on the ends of the plate and stick that ho up in your front window.. that way it wont move around and scratch up the dash and rattle, etc....

if i was to have a front plate, thats what I would do... effective and cheap

00Bolt
12-15-2004, 05:05 PM
im talking about these bad boys

http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/01017300/lgcupwr.jpg

Nuhklz
12-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Move to Indiana

Shiner1
12-15-2004, 05:16 PM
Too white trash....

i say just get 4 of those little suction cup things that stick to windows and also have a small hook on the ends... put those little hooks in the 4 holes on the ends of the plate and stick that ho up in your front window.. that way it wont move around and scratch up the dash and rattle, etc....

if i was to have a front plate, thats what I would do... effective and cheap

whitelightning'02
12-15-2004, 05:57 PM
how about rigging up one of the rear hide aways from stylin concepts?

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/1485/CategoryID/25/SubCategoryID/288

Just a thought and only 200 bucks

blueoval01
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
I would rather spend the 1500 on designing a new plastic solution that might for example clip into the lower grill and be removable ....

Then sell it and buy beer with the profits :beer:

Doug Hummm, me likes idea. Especially if the mounting brackets incorporate the OEM plastic plate holder.
Good thinking, Doug. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

03LightningRocks
12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't think there would be any problem putting it where you have it in the first pic of this thread. That is, as long as it isn't to wide to fit in that spot.

I have been rousted about no front plate quite a few times, but only when being pulled over for some other offense. I bet they don't even notice it most of the time. The Richardson cop that pulled me over for exhibition of speed didn't even notice it.

I say take the chance....show a little bit of rebellion Doug, it feels good, like when we used to call cops pigs in the 70's.....LOL.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
12-15-2004, 10:36 PM
im talking about these bad boys

http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/01017300/lgcupwr.jpg

what you do is take the hook out, push the tab threw the screw hole in the plate and suction cup it to the window... But even with it in the window you can get a ticket still..

I had mine above the rear view mirror for a short time on the L, it was in the lite tint visor, could see it but just barely

Tex Arcana
12-20-2004, 01:09 PM
how about rigging up one of the rear hide aways from stylin concepts?

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/1485/CategoryID/25/SubCategoryID/288

Just a thought and only 200 bucks

Not a bad idea at all.. keep it in the "up" position 'til a cop hits the lights, then lower it... :d

L8 APEX
12-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Maybe mount it behind the lower grille or fab a mount to hold it of fthe lower valence. Nobody notices lower valence scrapes:o . I have had two Corvettes, and two Lightnings NONE with a front plate! and I was never stopped for that. Gotta have a crazy stare that makes them want to mess with someone else:evil .

TX SVT LIGHTNING
12-21-2004, 08:40 AM
if i was to have a front plate, thats what I would do... effective and cheapthe only down side is the 'law/rule' states the plate has to be on the forward most part of the vehicle.

I don't mind having it on the lower grill opening during the cool months, but can't have it blocking the heat exchanger in the summer time.