PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a battery

Alpine
12-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Can someone recommend a good place to get a battery. Also, I was thinking about getting another battery from the dealer because it lasted 4 + years or do you think I should go with an Optima. I just have the stock stereo and go to the track and use the e-fan maybe on average once a month now. If I get an Optima do you think I should go with the red or yellow. I dont think I would drain the battery that often so I dont know if I should get the yellow.
Thanks,
Jeff.

StormShadow
12-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Jeff,

My yellow top still drains, but not as often as the stock battery. I would either get the yellow or red top and a charger that you can keep in your truck. (or you can just use mine)

SILVER2000SVT
12-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Can someone recommend a good place to get a battery. Also, I was thinking about getting another battery from the dealer because it lasted 4 + years or do you think I should go with an Optima. I just have the stock stereo and go to the track and use the e-fan maybe on average once a month now. If I get an Optima do you think I should go with the red or yellow. I dont think I would drain the battery that often so I dont know if I should get the yellow.
Thanks,
Jeff.
We all know that the red is technically the starting battery, and yellow for deep cycle, but the yellow has as much starting power if not more than a standard starting battery.

Red vs. yellow....the red has more CCA under full charge than the yellow but the yellow stays more constant as it is discharged which ends up giving it more CCA under a partial charge than a red. The yellow is meant to deep cycle more than the red is but either will go bad if you discharge them to nothing too many times it's just that both are a whole lot better than a standard battery.

The reds are know for going bad a lot more than the yellows...but this was several years ago and they may have fixed that problem now...but I doubt it...

I have a yellow in my truck..

There are about 3 or 4 yellow ones to chose from based on size shape power and pole layout...the part number I got to fit mine is "sc34du"
I paid about $150 for mine after tax...

dboat
12-17-2004, 07:33 PM
do you really need an Optima battery or will a Sears DieHard or Autozone special do the work for those of us that just have daily drivers but might hit the dyno or track rarely?

There are also a few other spiral wound, gel filled batteries as well..

So what do the others say here?

Silver_2000
12-17-2004, 08:05 PM
The batteries sold at Walmart with a 10 year warranty for $60 bucks are made by the same company that makes the Red and yellow ones

Also the stock battery is NOT maintenance free - pull the cover off and check the water level

One guess which battery is hidden under the cover in my 2000....

Doug

03LightningRocks
12-17-2004, 08:16 PM
We all know that the red is technically the starting battery, and yellow for deep cycle, but the yellow has as much starting power if not more than a standard starting battery.

Red vs. yellow....the red has more CCA under full charge than the yellow but the yellow stays more constant as it is discharged which ends up giving it more CCA under a partial charge than a red. The yellow is meant to deep cycle more than the red is but either will go bad if you discharge them to nothing too many times it's just that both are a whole lot better than a standard battery.

The reds are know for going bad a lot more than the yellows...but this was several years ago and they may have fixed that problem now...but I doubt it...

I have a yellow in my truck..

There are about 3 or 4 yellow ones to chose from based on size shape power and pole layout...the part number I got to fit mine is "sc34du"
I paid about $150 for mine after tax...

I have the Yellow Top, for the reasons listed above. The Yellow will hold up better to multiple discharges and recharges. I paid about 130, but the Optima has come down considerably over the past year or so. I have been told of people getting them for as little as 80 bucks. Autozone has them, but I am not sure what the price is.

Rocksknana

WA 2 FST
12-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Learning something new here guys, so bear with me.

Please explain why it is important to have something that will last through multiple discharges. I put an Optima Red top in my Z06... b/c the PCM sits under the battery in these cars and any acid leaking will get on the PCM and certainly destroy it. So most guys with C5 Vettes go with some sort of sealed gel battery within a year or two after ownership.

All the C5 guys said to get the red one (can't remember the model I got, but there are some space restraints in the Vette's engine compartment). Mine seems fine, but I've only had it for 3 months.

Am I going to wake up one morning and it be too weak to fire the motor (given that its new)?

03LightningRocks
12-17-2004, 08:30 PM
The main reason for the discharging is cooling needs.....;) . Between my heat exchanger fans, intercooler pump and electric fans.....I can run a battery down in about 3 passes.

Running down the 1/4 really doesn't allow enough time to recharge the battery to full charge after sitting in staging lanes or pit areas running all the fans.

A fully charged battery seems to help my truck run at it's best. I was just screwing around at Hallsville. Normally I run my fans in between passes and hook up a battery charger.

Rocks

dboat
12-17-2004, 10:00 PM
The batteries sold at Walmart with a 10 year warranty for $60 bucks are made by the same company that makes the Red and yellow ones

Also the stock battery is NOT maintenance free - pull the cover off and check the water level

One guess which battery is hidden under the cover in my 2000....

Doug

:confused: :confused: A DieHard? Autozone special? Or would it be that spiral wound gel filled WalMart $60 special? :cool:

Silver_2000
12-17-2004, 10:49 PM
:confused: :confused: A DieHard? Autozone special? Or would it be that spiral wound gel filled WalMart $60 special? :cool:
NOt spiral wound or gel filled but it is a walmart special - My battery gave up - got a jump start and had one shot to go find a battery. Walmart was across the street and I was in and out in 10 minutes.

In texas heat a battery doesntlast but 3 or 4 years MAX - I was lucky to have mine last 4 years since it was low on water in all the cells

Doug

L8 APEX
12-18-2004, 12:56 AM
WalMart is my favorite battery store. They sell one called the Maxx 1 it has long warranty 3-4 years free and 9 years pro rated. Plus whenever I need a battery it is late and a WalMArt is always open always close. It is olny $65 or such.

Silver_2000
12-18-2004, 01:16 AM
WalMart is my favorite battery store. They sell one called the Maxx 1 it has long warranty 3-4 years free and 9 years pro rated. Plus whenever I need a battery it is late and a WalMArt is always open always close. It is olny $65 or such.Thats the one - I knew I liked you ...

PoorSvtman
12-18-2004, 02:15 AM
Looks like ill be heading to walmart in the next few days. Every time i start my truck the gauges do a full sweep and its getting harder to start it at some points.. But considering its the orginal battery from 99 and ive drained it to the point of DEAD many times im surprised its lasted this long

Wht95Lightning
12-18-2004, 07:12 AM
If you have or know someone that has a Sams membership (I do), you should look there.
I bought an Interstate Megatron 1000 cca installed out the door for $76 and and it cranks like lightning in a bottle. ;)

If you would like to hit Sams I am available all week just pm me. They also sell the red and yellow tops as well. I think the red was $100.

-Gary

PoorSvtman
12-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Do you go to the sams down on i20 off of campus, i think that the exit? I have never seen optimas there. Might have to go use my sams membership for the first time :tu: Ill get a optima if the price is right

Wht95Lightning
12-18-2004, 11:06 AM
I use the Sams at I30/Eastchase

dboat
12-18-2004, 12:03 PM
I dont know what the stock battery CCA's are, but I recall always hearing that you shouldnt get a battery that exceeds the CCA of your stock battery. Something about constantly wearing on your alternator and causing it to burn out faster or something like that. Maybe Terry knows more about this issue. I used to get the larger battery as well, but stopped when I heard about this issue.
Anyone else know about this?
Dana

L8 APEX
12-18-2004, 12:42 PM
CCA the more the better that is the batterys capability to quickly discharge power to the starter for cold cranking. The stock battery is closer to a minimum at 600 or so. Most V8's require at least 450 cranking amps to start. I like a 750-900CCA battery those will start is most any condition. Batteries don't burn up alternators only load devices like stereos, lights etc..

TXBLU
12-19-2004, 12:10 AM
I'm not a battery guy, so all I can do is relate my experiences of the last 28 years of automotive ownership. Evey time I have had a battery go bad, it was either a factory installed battery, or some cheap replacement. Again, I cannot say with certainty, based on technical data, why one brand or type of battery is better than another. All I can say is this: I have never, NEVER, had any problems with Sears Die Hard batteries. Whenever I have needed a replacement, I went to Sears and requested the best battery they had for my application. The always checked the charging system and the old battery, and did a nice, clean job of installing the new one. There were even two times that they let me know I had a problem that was not the battery. Free. If you have a race car or some other "special" circimstance that requires you to get a "special" battery, or if you just want something that looks cool, buy whatever you want. But if you want a high quality battery from a company that truly stands behind their product (nationwide), buy the best Die Hard you can afford. It might just be my good luck, but I have never had a Die Hard fail.

SILVER2000SVT
12-19-2004, 12:46 AM
I used to go through one die hard per year for the starting battery on my boat (the $70-$80 ones). Went and bought a walmart special for $45 and has lasted for the past 9 years so far and still fires up every spring without any problems.

Wht95Lightning
12-19-2004, 08:23 AM
If you really want to know who makes what then read this:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm

Mark #2
12-20-2004, 09:55 AM
If you really want to know who makes what then read this:

http://www.uuhome.de/william.darden/batbrand.htm
Wow William Darden is obsessed with batteries, great reference.

Tex Arcana
12-20-2004, 12:31 PM
FWIW, here's my take on batteries:

I hear good things about Optimas, and a sealed battery can't be a bad thing. I was scratching my head on why some of you kill batteries while dragging, when I figgered it out (sitting around shut off while the pumps run for cooling). A larger, deep-cycle battery could solve that problem, but so can a good charger.

As Doug said, batteries struggle in this climate, and tend to die in 2-3 years. Standard lead-acid, during cyclings, will accumulate crud in the bottom of the battery (especially if the water used is not distilled), which eventually comes into contact with the plates, and shorts them out, killing the battery. Gel batteries, I haven't had much experience with, but one would think that the gel would preclude the crud accumulation and prevent early death.

IIRC, once upon a time WalMart sold a battery that was built by Champion, with which I had alot of success with a few years ago on a series of cars. Good, solid batteries.

My stock battery is beginning to act up a bit, might be time to look for a replacement. I like the Optima design, and if the power is as good or better, then that's one good way to go.

Wht95Lightning
12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
I think this thread jinxed me. LOL

I've only driven the L about 1800 miles in the last 2 years. After sitting in the garage for months at a time I guess my SAMS Champion brand battery that I bought 10/02 just couldn't hack it.
Thanks Terry for the Jumpstart. :tu:

Anyway, I went to Sams club to see about the warranty. Suprisingly, they gave me 100% of the money (includingtax) that I spent on this battery 2 years ago in credit towards a new battery, installed of course. :eek2:

Since my truck sits in the garage most of the time, I went ahead and got the Optima red top, which hopefully will hold a charge over long periods better than the led acid battery. It only cost me the difference which was $40. I can handle that.

PoorSvtman
12-21-2004, 08:57 PM
if your trucks sits for long periods of time just disconnect the battery. it wont die

Also my friend just bought a beater honda crx for 175 bucks for a project car, The wallmart battery was dead and it was bought in 00/01, car had been sitting ever since. The sales reciept (sp?) was on the side in a little plastic pouch. He took it to them and he got a brand new battery knana

Alpine
12-21-2004, 10:42 PM
i before e except after c......:tongue:

PoorSvtman
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
i before e except after c......:tongue:

HAHA Thanks Fuker :beer:

Alpine
12-22-2004, 12:02 AM
HAHA Thanks Fuker :beer:Your welcome.:D

Also, I wanted to thank Larry for offering his battery out of his '03 that he replaced with an Optima. He told me that I could have it for free. It saved me from dropping a 100 bones around Christmas time. Thats what is nice about being in a great club and_ participating_ in club activities, you build "lasting" relationships. Thats what its all about. Thanks again Larry for the battery and the friendship.
Jeff

L8 APEX
12-22-2004, 12:09 AM
I had an Optima in my Tahoe ad it died in two years. I was pissed since it was $130 battery. I had a Die hard Range handler or such with a 7 year silver warranty or such. It lasted 3 years almost now I am going on 3 years and 87K miles on the WalMart Maxx no problems. No prob Gary but 40 bucks out of pocket including warranty value is a little high IMO. A new batt should only be 65 bucks total.

Wht95Lightning
12-22-2004, 06:10 AM
I had an Optima in my Tahoe ad it died in two years. I was pissed since it was $130 battery. I had a Die hard Range handler or such with a 7 year silver warranty or such. It lasted 3 years almost now I am going on 3 years and 87K miles on the WalMart Maxx no problems. No prob Gary but 40 bucks out of pocket including warranty value is a little high IMO. A new batt should only be 65 bucks total.
Where can you buy an Optima red top for $65 :eek:

Nuhklz
12-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Your welcome.:D

Also, I wanted to thank Larry for offering his battery out of his '03 that he replaced with an Optima. He told me that I could have it for free. It saved me from dropping a 100 bones around Christmas time. Thats what is nice about being in a great club and_ participating_ in club activities, you build "lasting" relationships. Thats what its all about. Thanks again Larry for the battery and the friendship.
Jeff
http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

L-Fever
12-22-2004, 08:12 AM
Your welcome.:D

Jeff

That's awesome! :tu:

03LightningRocks
12-22-2004, 11:21 AM
........snip........ It lasted 3 years almost now I am going on 3 years and 87K miles on the WalMart Maxx no problems. No prob Gary but 40 bucks out of pocket including warranty value is a little high IMO. A new batt should only be 65 bucks total.

It really depends on how your using your truck. In a case like mine, where it doesn't get alot of highway use, but it has to go through alot of discharge/recharge cycles, a good deep cycle battery is worth it's weight in gold.

If I where doing highway miles as a daily driver, I would go the way you are talking here. My daily driver F150 has a wally world special. I have put 3 years and about 40k miles on it with no issues.

Rocks