PDA

View Full Version : Dyno'd today

Boosted 03
12-18-2004, 06:45 PM
I got my truck on the dyno and was a little surprised at what I saw. I'm wondering what some of you have seen in the past on stock trucks? The best pull was 314.18 hp and 355.31 tq. :confused: Does this sound right?? I was also told my truck was too lean I think he got a reading of 14. I know there is some loss but 65 hp and almost 100 tq. By the way it was an inground dynojet and the run was in 2nd gear. If that makes a diff. Well,let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance :D

Rene

Silver_2000
12-18-2004, 06:47 PM
I got my truck on the dyno and was a little surprised at what I saw. I'm wondering what some of you have seen in the past on stock trucks? The best pull was 314.18 hp and 355.31 tq. :confused: Does this sound right?? I was also told my truck was too lean I think he got a reading of 14. I know there is some loss but 65 hp and almost 100 tq. By the way it was an inground dynojet and the run was in 2nd gear. If that makes a diff. Well,let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance :D

Rene
2nd gear is wrong

PoorSvtman
12-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Yea second gear is wrong. What shop did you use.

02BOLT
12-18-2004, 07:17 PM
They should have turned the O/D OFF, and brought it up to around 3300 rpm in 3RD gear before beginning the pull. 3RD gear has a final drive ratio of 1:1, which means that for every ONE rotation of the crank, there is ONE rotation of the wheel. This evens out the torque multiplication of the engine and makes for a more accurate reading.

The reason for taking the motor to 3300rpm, is to get it past the threshold of tranny kickdowns.

The factory computer calibrations(fuel/timing) of the '03-'04 L's, seem to be a little more aggressive than the earlier L's, therefore yielding 345 to as high as 360RWHP, and more lean A/F ratios. This is assuming the pulls are made on a Dynojet 248C, which is the most common.

If you dynoed on a Mustang(eddy current) dyno, which has two rollers that your tires rest in between, then they generally register considerably lower #'s than the Dynojet models (due to their ability to more accurately account for loads placed on the drivetrain due to vehicle weight) . In that case, your numbers aren't all bad.

If not, then I'd take it to another shop, that knows how to dyno L's.

Edited...because I'm not particularly observant this evening.:hammer: My Bad.

jcblack
12-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Dont feel bad man. The gay guy at L fest dynoed my truck from second gear and I got an amazing 319 rwhp. I think that my truck has a few little bugs here and there that need to be worked out, but I know that it is not that low.

Boosted 03
12-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will call the guys back and get my truck back on the dyno. He had not dyno'd a lightning before,so he was unsure if it would downshift from 3rd to 2nd even with the o/d off, so that is the reason for the 2nd gear pull. Now that I know this I don't feel so bad about my numbers. I'll post the new results as soon as I get back over there.

WA 2 FST
12-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Go to RPM in Lewisville. That's a good shop, and not _that_ far from McKinney (they are east of I-35).

Ask for Keith Lohse. They'll do it right. :)

Boosted 03
12-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Yea second gear is wrong. What shop did you use.
The shop I used is Velocity Performance. I've used these guys before when they were a different shop in Carrollton. Yesterday was the grand opening of their new 15,000 sq ft shop.They really specialize in imports, but they had two vipers out there on the dyno so I felt ok about my truck being on there.

Rene

Boosted 03
12-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Go to RPM in Lewisville. That's a good shop, and not _that_ far from McKinney (they are east of I-35).

Ask for Keith Lohse. They'll do it right. :)
Thanks Wes. I missed the last dyno day out there. Next time I need a Dyno I'll give them a call. :tu:

Sandman
12-20-2004, 01:03 AM
Yeah, you might want to try another dyno.

My truck is basically stock and here's its dyno.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/3252Runs-med.jpg

A lager image here (http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/3252Runs.jpg). The truck was the same on both pulls. The main difference in the runs is the temp and the humidity. More about these pulls here (http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7158).