PDA

View Full Version : How many would be interested in a Sirius Sat and MP3 capable OEM radio upgrade ?

Silver_2000
12-30-2004, 08:24 PM
After having 2 trucks broken into - I am looking at the options to keep an OEM looking headunit to avoid the theft problem but have the headunit be able to control and disply a sirius sat radio add on ....

Please respond to the poll

Also please post what kind of $$ that might be worth ..

wesman
12-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Why not just go with the Sirius sportster? It has a cradle that mounts in the car/truck and you can take the main unit with you to use in the house etc. I got the Sportster bombox, the car kit and the kit that works in the house.

--wes

Silver_2000
12-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Why not just go with the Sirius sportster? It has a cradle that mounts in the car/truck and you can take the main unit with you to use in the house etc. I got the Sportster bombox, the car kit and the kit that works in the house.

--wes
Had XM roady left it in the cup holder and the truck was broken into to steal it. ironically Sat radios are NOT good to steal since you call XM and they cancel the service and it can never be turned back on...

Doug

99WhiteBeast
12-30-2004, 11:43 PM
I've been wanting to get XM or Sirrus for some time. I don't care for the antenna on top my truck,unless it has changed recently.

I also like to stay under the radar and don't like to advertise.

I would be willing to pay a little extra extra for an OEM looking head unit.

TXBLU
12-31-2004, 09:20 AM
My wife's car has the XM system in it, and I have talked to some friends that had Sirius, and I think I would prefer to have the XM system, but only if it could be part of a stock head unit style design. I have a a few tasty stereo upgrades already, but you can't see them because they are cleverly hidden. I even kept the original head unit, for stealth reasoms, and didn't even have to cut any wires, although I did punch a hole or two in the cab floor and the carpet. Stealth is good, too much bling is bad, unless you never leave your truck unattended!

True Blue Aggie
12-31-2004, 10:12 AM
What can our OEM Stock unit support, as far as additional speakers, sub, etc.? I am a complete novice on stereo and speaker info, and have been wondering what I can put in the truck while keeping the stock head unit in place....

in a perfect world, I would buy a OEM 6 Disk in Dash, take out the 6 disk behind the seat, add a amp and one (okay two) subs, add tweeders and better speakers for the doors....but I think that the OEM Head Unit does not support sub and amp installs.....

Can anyone confirm that?

Silver_2000
12-31-2004, 10:30 AM
What can our OEM Stock unit support, as far as additional speakers, sub, etc.? I am a complete novice on stereo and speaker info, and have been wondering what I can put in the truck while keeping the stock head unit in place....

in a perfect world, I would buy a OEM 6 Disk in Dash, take out the 6 disk behind the seat, add a amp and one (okay two) subs, add tweeders and better speakers for the doors....but I think that the OEM Head Unit does not support sub and amp installs.....

Can anyone confirm that?
In my 2000 I used RCA converters off the stock head unit to run to a alpine 5 channel amp and replaced the speakers with boston acoustics all around and a 10" sub - I think it sounded good - NO Great

Silver_2000
12-31-2004, 10:31 AM
My wife's car has the XM system in it, and I have talked to some friends that had Sirius, and I think I would prefer to have the XM system, but only if it could be part of a stock head unit style design. I have a a few tasty stereo upgrades already, but you can't see them because they are cleverly hidden. I even kept the original head unit, for stealth reasoms, and didn't even have to cut any wires, although I did punch a hole or two in the cab floor and the carpet. Stealth is good, too much bling is bad, unless you never leave your truck unattended!
There may be a posibility that XM might work as well. Thats a bit of a stretch for now though .. We'll see...

dboat
12-31-2004, 11:02 AM
I upgraded my head unit to a stock Ford MP3 player out of a Mustang. Then spliced the wires into my Alpine amp and recycled in some old Boston Acoustics in the rear and new Focals in the doors. I think it sounds great. The Alpine amp and speakers came out of my Mustang..
I wouldnt mind doing satellite, but would like to get around the antenna thing and be able to have it be stealt as well. If you could put it on the visor and have it wired in somehow, that would be good.
Dana

ThunderBolt
12-31-2004, 11:21 AM
I installed Sirius radio in my C5 and Lightning this past weekend.
I opted for the new JVC model KT-PK2000 w/ car adapter.
The sound is slightly different from what you would expect, never-the-less
it kicks ass.
You can get a free three day trial on your pc through XM or Sirius.
I decided to go w/ Sirius because the XM didn't have a station similar
to Sirius's (Hair nation) 80's big hair bands.
http://overture1-cnet.com.com/4014-7866_9-31151834.html?tag=upidmlp&cip=1&rvwtp=4508-5_9-31151834

Tex Arcana
12-31-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm into stealth, so I'd say a headunit/radio that has the sattelite radio built-in. I'm working on an idea where I take out the existing unit, replace that with a touchscreen, and run that to an Epia mobo, with a nice harddrive, and perhaps an AM/FM tuner card, and use the mobo onboard sound. That way I can run MP3s as well, and perhaps get a satellite tuner that can plug into a USB port, and have datalogging to boot, without it being obvious to the outside. :)

ThunderBolt
01-01-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm into stealth, so I'd say a headunit/radio that has the sattelite radio built-in.
I can relate to the stealth thing. I'll have to live w/ my decission....for now. :D

Silver_2000
01-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I'm into stealth, so I'd say a headunit/radio that has the sattelite radio built-in. I'm working on an idea where I take out the existing unit, replace that with a touchscreen, and run that to an Epia mobo, with a nice harddrive, and perhaps an AM/FM tuner card, and use the mobo onboard sound. That way I can run MP3s as well, and perhaps get a satellite tuner that can plug into a USB port, and have datalogging to boot, without it being obvious to the outside. :)
Touch screen will be a magnet for thieves ...

ThunderBolt
01-01-2005, 09:01 PM
I hope these friggin crooks educate them self about stealing satellite equipment that will do them no good....
other than getting a bullet in the head. :tu:

98Cobra
01-02-2005, 08:43 PM
My sat antenna is full stealth. Directions here:

http://66.179.14.118/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121890&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Silver_2000
01-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I hope these friggin crooks educate them self about stealing satellite equipment that will do them no good....
other than getting a bullet in the head. :tu:
In my case they broke in after the XM roady and took a bunch of other stuff while they were there....

Great find on the How TO Garrett ....

Doug

Lyfisin
01-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Hmmm...

I voted NO. I don't really care for the antennas on the car, but even if it was invisible, I wouldn't get it. I am pretty much always local and there's plenty of free radio out there. On the rare occasion I travel, the CD changer is still a good option for me.

Nuhklz
01-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Depends on how much. It is very rare that I listen to anything other than the pipes while driving.

Tex Arcana
01-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Touch screen will be a magnet for thieves ...

If and only if it were obvious that it was a touchscreen... I'm talking putting the TS *IN* the space where the stock radio is now. WHen off, it's black, which, to anyone looking in, it just looks like a blank plastic panel.

The only other drawback to this idea (besides execution), is the lack of tactile feedback for the user, looking for the "buttons". I think I have a solution for that as well. :tu:

Tex Arcana
01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
My sat antenna is full stealth. Directions here:

http://66.179.14.118/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121890&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

That rules. Good find, indeed. :tu:

Silver_2000
02-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Well I have some more details

if you are interested in an OEM radio that is CD-6 does MP3's and handles Sat it retails for $436

The Sat Module is another $230 ...

dboat
02-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Well I have some more details

if you are interested in an OEM radio that is CD-6 does MP3's and handles Sat it retails for $436

The Sat Module is another $230 ...

pics?
I have the OEM that does MP3's is a CD-6 but not sat..

Silver_2000
02-09-2005, 11:25 PM
pics?
I have the OEM that does MP3's is a CD-6 but not sat..

Dont have pics - It looks JUST like my 04 radio except it has a SAT button in lower left and it has no little door over the CD slot

Its BRAND new ...

Im going to have it done soon - Ill take pics then ... Its only money....

Doug

04silverL
02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Doug,
Could you post some more details on this setup.
Thanks,
Simon

Silver_2000
02-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Doug,
Could you post some more details on this setup.
Thanks,
Simon

What details are you looking for ??

Its a direct plug and play swap fro your existing Stock radio - Has all the features of the 04 CD6 radio PLUS adds the ability to play MP3 cd's - to browse folders of songs on those cd's and to play and control Sirius satellite, if you buy a separate sat tuner that is $230. Garrett posted a way to hide the sat antenna under the cowl by the pass side wiper - so for about $670 you end up with a totally 100% stealth Sat install .. If you do the install yourself. Looking at the components the installs should take under an hour.

The ONLY give away would be the button that says SAT on the radio.

I bought a $10 connector so that I can leave the existing Ford wiring completely stock and replace the speakers with Boston Acoustic components and add a Alpine 5 channel amp and a 10" sub. Same system I had in my 2000. It will absolutely ROCK and is about 300x less likely to get stolen than an aftermarket system.

Doug

04silverL
02-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Do you have a link where I can get this? Sounds like a great idea.
Thanks,
Simon

Silver_2000
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Do you have a link where I can get this? Sounds like a great idea.
Thanks,
Simon

Its not avail on any links that I know of. I have had a local vendor looking into the options for about 2 months and this radio apparently JUST became available. I have looked on EBay and on the web for similar radios and cant find them. Hope to have the install done this week - Ill let you know more then.

I also need to look at the pricing to see if there is any room BUT if you price the same ford Sirius tuner on ebay its $285 buy it now

Doug

dboat
02-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Went over to www.radiosandmore.com and saw this...

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047452

is this what you need for the sat conversion?

I would like to see pics..
Dana

Silver_2000
02-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Went over to www.radiosandmore.com (http://www.radiosandmore.com/) and saw this...

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=4047452

is this what you need for the sat conversion?

I would like to see pics..
Dana

Looks like thats the tuner - BUT you need to add the $50 cable

I know that pics are real common request BUT believe me when I say that the radio looks JUST like the radio you have with one button that has different letters. I hope to get the radio dine soon - Ill take pictures then...

Doug

04silverL
02-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Doug,
Have you had this installed yet? Just wondering when you will have pics of it.
Thanks,
Simon

Silver_2000
03-01-2005, 10:03 AM
I have it installed

Finished it last night - Since it is FULL Stealth I am not able to get any pictures - they just come out blank ... :d :evil

Seriously there is nothing to see

Seriously - there are 2 pictures here - Ill go back to the vendor to get shots of the components

DOug

Silver_2000
03-03-2005, 12:42 AM
Took some more pictures and assembled them on to a how to of sorts

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sat-radio/stealth_satellite_radio_install.htm

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sat-radio/sat-system-P1020076.jpg

Tex Arcana
03-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I have it installed

Finished it last night - Since it is FULL Stealth I am not able to get any pictures - they just come out blank ... :d :evil

Seriously there is nothing to see

Seriously - there are 2 pictures here - Ill go back to the vendor to get shots of the components

DOug

Nice, just the way I like it. IS that the stock radio unit? How'd you wire in the sat setup?

Silver_2000
03-09-2005, 12:38 AM
Nice, just the way I like it. IS that the stock radio unit? How'd you wire in the sat setup?

No its a Radio upgrade - does Sat and MP3's - click the how to link for more details. Works great - Having 170 songs on one disk to do song shuffle with is cool. As is listening to the Maxim channel and the Discovery channel.

PM me or email me if you need more details -

Doug

heres a pic of the headunit - parked it down town on the street the other night and the warm fuzzy of knowing that my radio would not be a target was cool... No sat radio antenna sticking up ...

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/sat-radio/sat-radioP1020069.jpg

Sandman
03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
So where did you get this Doug?

dboat
03-20-2008, 11:04 AM
So where did you get this Doug?

Digging in the archives, eh? I did just the MP3 upgrade myself.. Doug's is nicer with the sat radio.. I just throw my XM Roadie in there when I am traveling and go through the FM radio..

Dana

Silver_2000
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Any ford radio repair shop can get it for you - it aint cheap

its the sat radio out of the vans

dboat
03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I might part with mine if you are interested..

Dana

dboat
03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Any ford radio repair shop can get it for you - it aint cheap

its the sat radio out of the vans

you are right that they arent cheap.. I got mine from Radio's and More online.

03LightningRocks
03-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Only Dana would dig up a 3 year old post. Oh well...I voted before I realized Dana had his shovel out again.

LOL...I just realized it was Sandman...

Sorry Dana..

03LightningRocks
03-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Andy...get yourself a good alarm system with the paging option. Another neat trick is to take some plumbers strap and attach it to the head unit. One on each side works best. Use a screw that is already on the side of the head unit..it's easier than trying to tap a new screw in it. Attach the other ends to to anything steal under the dash board. Suns of bitches can still get your stuff, but at least you will make them work for it. Use 1/4 inch self tapping screws. I bet most car thieves aren't running around with nut drivers..and they will play hell trying to just rip it out. You could also tape a couple razor blades along the top of your head unit. I haven't done this yet because I was afraid the sorry sh!ts would bleed all over my truck. I have a bud who has his booby trap with razor blades and I can't help but hope somebody tries to steal his unit.

dboat
03-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Only Dana would dig up a 3 year old post. Oh well...I voted before I realized Dana had his shovel out again.

LOL...I just realized it was Sandman...

Sorry Dana..

Ahhh, so quick to throw the friends under the truck... :D