PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon

anglerx007
01-04-2005, 11:17 AM
At approximately 32k my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Truck is running fine. Anyone else have this same experience? What might it be?

Silver_2000
01-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Your flux capacitor needs recharged... :evil

Bring your truck to the meeting Ill scan the codes

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 11:38 AM
At approximately 32k my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Truck is running fine. Anyone else have this same experience? What might it be?
Disconnect the battery for about 1/2 hour tonight and see if it stays away.

anglerx007
01-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I'll pull the code, if there is one, during my lunch break. Since the Service Engine Soon light is yellow I was'nt sure if it would generate a code. I thought codes were generated for severity 1(red) issues only.

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Mine has thrown codes twice, both times dissconnecting the battery solved the issue, various codes have been indicated. I wouldn't worry too much.

L8 APEX
01-04-2005, 11:57 AM
If your light turns red evacuate the truck and run as fast as you can it is posessed:rll: .:D

anglerx007
01-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Mine has thrown codes twice, both times dissconnecting the battery solved the issue, various codes have been indicated. I wouldn't worry too much.

Mark #2

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had really posted my question this morning hoping Terry would respond with some useful info since he normally did in the past.

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Just re-set tonight and scan if they come back.

L8 APEX
01-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Mark #2

Thanks for the suggestion.

I had really posted my question this morning hoping Terry would respond with some useful info since he normally did in the past.The light is yellow it does not change colors, hence my comment on it turning red, lol. L's throw a few BS codes every now and then for excessive EGR flow etc. Go to AutoZone and they will read it for you. Once you know which one of the 500 plus codes it is I can advise more from there.

my2002lightning
01-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Stephen,

You can drop by my place this afternoon/evening and we can throw the Autotap/laptop on your L if you want to grab the code. PM me if interested.

I can clear codes via Autotap, too. Let me know.

Just make sure your gas-cap is snug, too! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Ronald

anglerx007
01-04-2005, 01:03 PM
The light is yellow it does not change colors, hence my comment on it turning red, lol. L's throw a few BS codes every now and then for excessive EGR flow etc. Go to AutoZone and they will read it for you. Once you know which one of the 500 plus codes it is I can advise more from there.

Now that what I'm talking about Terry! No need though, it was throwing a 455 and 457. The gas cap was one notch loose...I'm an idiot.

Anyway, sorry for being sensitive earlier.

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
The following events occur when a PCM reset is performed:

Clears the number of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

1 Clears the DTCs.

2 Clears the freeze frame data.

3 Clears diagnostic monitoring test results.

4 Resets status of the OBD II system monitors.

5 Sets DTC P1000 code.

Drive Cycle Description:

Drive Cycle Recommendations
1. Most OBDII monitors will complete more readily using a "steady foot" driving style during cruise or acceleration modes. Operating the throttle in a "smooth" fashion will minimize the time required for monitor completion.

2. Fuel tank level should be between 1/2 and 3/4 fill with 3/4 fill being the most desirable.

3. The Evaporative Monitor can only operate during the first 30 minutes of engine operation. When executing the procedure for this monitor, stay in part throttle mode and drive in a smooth fashion to minimize "fuel slosh".

Drive Cycle steps that MUST be completed.

HEGO - Cruise at 40 MPH for at least 5 minutes. - Executes the HEGO monitor.

EVAP - Cruise at 45 to 65 MPH for 10 minutes (avoid sharp turns ) - Executes the EVAP monitor (If IAT is within 40 to 100F).

Catalyst - Drive in stop-and-go traffic conditions. Include five different constant cruise speeds, ranging from 25 to 45 MPH over a 10-minute period. - Executes the Catalyst Monitor.

EGR - From a stop, accelerate to 45 MPH at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Repeat 3 times. - Executes the EGR Monitor.

SEC AIR/CCM - Bring the vehicle to a stop. Idle Engine with transmission in drive for 2 minutes. - Executes the ISC portion of the CCM.

CCM - From a stop and in overdrive, moderately accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop vehicle and repeat without overdrive to 40 MPH cruising for at least 30 seconds. While 40 MPH, activate overdrive and accelerate to 50 MPH and cruise for at least 15 seconds. Stop for at least 20 seconds and repeat step five times. - Executes the transmission portion of CCM

Misfire & Fuel Monitors - From a stop, accelerate to 65 MPH. Decelerate at closed throttle 40 MPH (no brakes). Repeat this 3 times. - Allows learning for the misfire monitor.

This should complete the On-Board System Readiness (OSR) Test and reset the DTC P1000 code.
If not...
EVAP Monitor Bypass - Park vehicle for a minimum of 8 hours. Repeat steps above - Allow the "bypass" counter to increment by two

thought this would be useful