PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of boost bypass mod?

Beaudee
01-04-2005, 03:44 PM
I have an 04 L and have been reading about this boost bypass mod.Easy to do and does it work?Is it safe? :cool:

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I have an 04 L and have been reading about this boost bypass mod.Easy to do and does it work?Is it safe? :cool:
Please search there have been pages of discussions on this one.

Beaudee
01-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Please search there have been pages of discussions on this one.
Did search and found no answers to my questions smart a..

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Did search and found no answers to my questions smart a..http://www.f150online.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=750138&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Only 74 threads, please read and post your conclusion.:D

Nuhklz
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Did search and found no answers to my questions smart a..
Here we go again http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

00Bolt
01-04-2005, 04:44 PM
whats a search button ?

WA 2 FST
01-04-2005, 04:58 PM
No kidding. Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Here's an answer for you...it's a worthwhile mod. Installing it will prevent the dreaded "boost dump" at higher rpms/loads that sometimes occurs. However, you will want to make sure to remove it and re-install it every 50 miles or your motor will blow up. :eek2: If you get to mile 51 and haven't pulled it off, then you're pushing your luck. So make SURE to follow this important service interval in a very precise manner. :rll:

:throw:

00Bolt
01-04-2005, 05:05 PM
thats a fact, not enough people stress this...

Beaudee
01-04-2005, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=WA 2 FST]No kidding. Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Here's an answer for you...it's a worthwhile mod. Installing it will prevent the dreaded "boost dump" at higher rpms/loads that sometimes occurs. However, you will want to make sure to remove it and re-install it every 50 miles or your motor will blow up. :eek2: If you get to mile 51 and haven't pulled it off, then you're pushing your luck. So make SURE to follow this important service interval in a very precise manner. :rll:

:throw:[/QUOTThere are some good people on this sight , but also some arogant a.a..I am the kind of person who goes out of my way to help someone, i can also issue a good case of whoop ass to those in need also.

Mark #2
01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Beaudee,

Did you see the link above in my post?

WA 2 FST
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh, I'm shaking, my friend.

Honestly, there are lots of us who are here to help... myself included. :)

You're the one who came on the site acting like a horse's arse, and referring to Mark as a smart a$$ brought on the "here we go again" from several of us.

If you're respectful, you'll get all the help you need...and in a respectful way.

I said in a previous thread I wasn't going to respond to any more of your ?s for help ... especially b/c you think you know everything anyway (or that was the impression you gave me/us). I did so here only for the benefit of my fellow friends on the forum.

Threatening "whoop ass" over a keyboard is mighty tough of you. LMAO.:tongue:

Have a good day.

Seriously, try the search...and I think you'll find the answer. Mark was right on the money.

Beaudee
01-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I wanted the opinion of a seriuos L owner,i have already read about this mod.As far as you Wes your like a chigger bite in the belly button.

WA 2 FST
01-04-2005, 06:10 PM
Look Beau,

Whether you want to admit it or not, your initial impression on this board was less than positive. Maybe you forgot that long thread... I don't know. I don't really care. You started all the name-calling, and it just continues:rolleyes:

I was just poking some fun on this thread, that's all. If you look way back in that first thread you posted, I was more than serious and honestly trying to be very helpful. You just spat in my face for no reason. So you're gonna get razzed a bit.

You had your answer back in post #2 by Mark.

Nuhklz
01-04-2005, 06:26 PM
I wanted the opinion of a seriuos L owner,i have already read about this mod.As far as you Wes your like a chigger bite in the belly button.Are you coming to the club meeting Thursday night?

Beaudee
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Are you coming to the club meeting Thursday night?
Ill try to i will be easy to spot (6'8" bald black guy with the gray 04L) :cool:

Alpine
01-04-2005, 07:01 PM
I saw this coming as soon as he posted this this afternoon. How come everyone gets so defensive when someone suggest to use the search method. I rather find the info myself because there is a wealth of information on every mod you can do to a Lightning on three different boards. Its better than waiting for the answer by someone who might not know. All the people on Talon are here to help and have been accused of being some of the most knowledgeable and mature people throughout the L community. I am definately excluded from this list but that doesnt matter.:D

Also, all the time I have spent on TALON I cant remember anybody coming on here and threatening to issue a case of whoop ass:rll: Thats some funny business right there.

Beaudee
01-04-2005, 07:23 PM
I saw this coming as soon as he posted this this afternoon. How come everyone gets so defensive when someone suggest to use the search method. I rather find the info myself because there is a wealth of information on every mod you can do to a Lightning on three different boards. Its better than waiting for the answer by someone who might not know. All the people on Talon are here to help and have been accused of being some of the most knowledgeable and mature people throughout the L community. I am definately excluded from this list but that doesnt matter.:D

Also, all the time I have spent on TALON I cant remember anybody coming on here and threatening to issue a case of whoop ass:rll: Thats some funny business right there.Hey i was asking a question and just wanted some opinions from the best,i have searched and wanted to hear someone say i did the mod ,it sucks or it works,or someone that has it in their L now.I new the oil sep thread was b.s..I found the problem with the bogging out.It was an o2 sensor that never threw a fault.You guys hammered me all the way.Some were pretty cool though.Its all good . :cool:

Silver_2000
01-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Well Heres my $0.02 - Since I have access to the OFF switch for the website my $0.02 counts -
PS - I'm only 6'3" 260 - but on the Internet I'm MUCH Bigger.

The boost bypass is a joke - unless you drag race its not needed - and it eliminates one of the trucks built in safety factors.
I got one installed for free and its not worth what I paid.

Finally - Mark and Wes are some of the most level headed and most knowledgeable resources we have here. If you continue to take pointless INTERNET shots at them or anyone else - I'll enjoy taking some INTERNET whop ass on you... 14 years experience and moderator or better access to the biggest Lightning sites on the net means I'm 10 foot tall and bullet proof on the net. ( See how stupid that sounds ? )

We are a mature intelligent group of enthusiasts. Many of us have known each other for 5 years or more... I would recommend coming to a meeting - Once you do you will understand the personalities better.

dboat
01-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Well Heres my $0.02 - Since I have access to the OFF switch for the website my $0.02 counts -
PS - I'm only 6'3" 260 - but on the Internet I'm MUCH Bigger.

The boost bypass is a joke - unless you drag race its not needed - and it eliminates one of the trucks built in safety factors.
I got one installed for free and its not worth what I paid.

Finally - Mark and Wes are some of the most level headed and most knowledgeable resources we have here. If you continue to take pointless INTERNET shots at them or anyone else - I'll enjoy taking some INTERNET whop ass on you... 14 years experience and moderator or better access to the biggest Lightning sites on the net means I'm 10 foot tall and bullet proof on the net. ( See how stupid that sounds ? )

We are a mature intelligent group of enthusiasts. Many of us have known each other for 5 years or more... I would recommend coming to a meeting - Once you do you will understand the personalities better.

Amen brother. :tu: That is why I still come here almost daily, even after moving over 1200 miles to the Great White North..
Dana

WA 2 FST
01-04-2005, 11:22 PM
I know who I want on our Lightning group basketball team! I'm captain and I get first pick!! Beau gets to play power forward at 6'8"!! :) I'll play point guard and happily dish the rock down low.

Seriously, Beau, what I said in my first post was in jest and obviously said with sarcasm... kind of like you calling Mark a smart ass.

Hope you found your answer. That's what matters.

03LightningRocks
01-04-2005, 11:54 PM
IMHO...........the boost by-pass mod is a fricking joke. Just unplug the damned thing when you are at the track. That's what I do.....23lbs of boost, 11.3x 1/4 mile E.T.'s, at least 300 passes down the track and never an issue.

My main reason for not installing the by-pass has to do with what Doug posted about it being an important safety feature. By using the cheaper,"unplug mod", I can be in control of when I have by-passed it.

Rocks

L8 APEX
01-05-2005, 12:14 AM
This is how I bypass the boost solenoid. I tell the computer it doesn't have one:D . So if Rocks is unplugging his then he is a dumbass:rll:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15CIMG1901.JPG
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15CIMG1899-med.JPG

03LightningRocks
01-05-2005, 12:31 AM
Actually Terry,

If you are by-passing a featured designed to protect the motor in your customers trucks.......You are the dumb ass...;) .

Especially when all a fellow has to do is unplug the darn thing when he is running at the track.

This would be about like me by-passing the high limt protection on a customers furnace so they can get hotter air out of their ducts.

Again............all you have to do is unplug it when you plan to run at he track. There is no gain in making it "fancy".

Rocks:tu:

Rocks

L8 APEX
01-05-2005, 01:00 AM
Leave the tuning to the tuners you clean shaving santa claus looking bastard. There are two boost bypass circuits on the engine one electrical and one mechanical. You want to leave the mechanical one alone as it is a true overboost safety. You want to eliminate the electrical bypass because it only engages as a makeshift traction control when certain operating parameters are met. Like WOT, excessive wheelspin in 2nd or 3rd and steering wheel or brake input. The computer thinks you are about to crash and opens the waste gate for 30 seconds or so. ALL aftermarket 4 bank tunes shut off the electrical input and torque reduction slop shift. Whether it comes from SCT, Diablo, JDM, JLP, Troyer they all take this fundamental step in tuning a truck for better performance. Back to you uncle dumbass:D .

03LightningRocks
01-05-2005, 01:26 AM
I should have known you couldn't leave it alone. Let's address the issue of you referring to me as a dumb ass.

The man asked a simple question about doing the boost by-pass mod. I too have the same software you have. The answer to his question is, "the boost by-pass mod is BULLSH!T". It is OK if you want to take the opportunity to attempt to stroke your own crank. You could have done it without disrespecting me(a fellow that has made attempt after attempt to guide folks your way).

:mad: .

Beaudee
01-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info..Doesn't sound like i want to do this mod and remove a saftey thing, was just curious.I respect your opinions,i do everything with a bang so ill leave it alone.As far as the eye poking its all good! :beer:

sonicbluetommy
01-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Leave the tuning to the tuners you clean shaving santa claus looking bastard.

OH, this is freakin BEGGING for someone with photoshop to give Ron a santa beard!!!!!!!!! :rll:

Can you imagine the horror of any kids that ended up sitting on his lap?

j/k rocks!

Beaudee
01-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Terry i like the way you think, i would do it the same way!I got off on the the wrong foot with you, but its all good !I got your first few beers! :tu:

Tiny Tim
01-06-2005, 06:05 PM
I know who I want on our Lightning group basketball team! I'm captain and I get first pick!! Beau gets to play power forward at 6'8"!! :) I'll play point guard and happily dish the rock down low.

Seriously, Beau, what I said in my first post was in jest and obviously said with sarcasm... kind of like you calling Mark a smart ass.

Hope you found your answer. That's what matters.

I'll play center.

<-- 6'11" and a former college athlete

:D

WA 2 FST
01-06-2005, 06:10 PM
I'll play center.

Sweet! We've got the makings of a nasty rec-league team! Where'd you go to school, Jon? I didn't play b-ball in college (played baseball), but was a decent point guard in HS. It makes it easy if you've got some beef down low! :D

Tiny Tim
01-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Sweet! We've got the makings of a nasty rec-league team! Where'd you go to school, Jon? I didn't play b-ball in college (played baseball), but was a decent point guard in HS. It makes it easy if you've got some beef down low! :D

SMU. Class of '02. Did you play ball in the area?

WA 2 FST
01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
You young guys kill me. ;) I'm an old fart.

Yes, I went to Austin College (Sherman). Little D-3 school. Class of '90. Still play hardball... 28+ men's league in Dallas. It keeps me in shape and out of too much trouble. Lots of ex-pro/college players in the league, so its good competition for us old guys.

Did you play hoops at SMU?

I see you have a DSG, too. :tu:

my2002lightning
01-06-2005, 11:48 PM
Tommy,

I kinda like this version of Uncle Rocks "sh!ttin' and gettin' " at Hallsville '04! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gif Luv' ya, Rocks! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif

Wes/WA2,

You on any softball teams? I played on a corporate team - General Motors Assy. plant in OKC. back in college. They called me "Scud" b/c they always put me in deep-left field b/c I was the only one on the team of Mech. Engineers who could lob them into home.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif

Oh, and there were some "accuracy" issues which I ironed out later on. I started looking where I was throwing - problem solved! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif Scud = inaccurate Iraqi missle during the 1st Gulf War, btw.

Ronald

OH, this is freakin BEGGING for someone with photoshop to give Ron a santa beard!!!!!!!!! :rll:

Can you imagine the horror of any kids that ended up sitting on his lap?

j/k rocks!

WA 2 FST
01-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Ronald,

I played a little softball after I graduated from college...and was "done" playing baseball. Frankly, I didn't enjoy it much. I have very little respect for gorillas who just get up there and try to hit a slow-pitch beachball (which is what it looks like compared to a 90mph fastball) 350'. I played SS, which is what I play in baseball, but softball is completely different.

I'm just too competitive, I guess. Nothing wrong with softball. I'm sure I'm just jaded from my past experiences. I'm sure there will come a day when I play it again. Right now if I'm not playing myself, I coach my son's baseball team, so I'm getting my baseball fix.

Good luck out there in LF. You should get some good action out there. :)

Tiny Tim
01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Yea, I played basketball at SMU. Free school rocks.

Mostly lift weights and stuff now and play ball occasionally.

WA 2 FST
01-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Yea, I played basketball at SMU. Free school rocks.

Mostly lift weights and stuff now and play ball occasionally.

That's great! Was Dement a good coach? From my perspective (as a fan only), he seemed to be pretty good and committed to the program.

I just try to stay in shape and working out in the gym and playing baseball 2x a week does that. I didn't play for 8 years after I graduated. My wife was tired of it (she sat through double-headers 2+x a week at school for the two years we were dating), and I was too. It's not really a "job" when you're playing in college, but its close. I was just spent after my senior year, and wasn't good enough to continue playing past that... so it was nice to have a break from it for awhile. Now I just play for fun again, although its competitive enough to make it a challenge.

Alpine
01-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Wes, what league is this? Is it N.A.B.A? I used to play N.A.B.A on the weekends and D.A.B.A in dallas during the week. I stopped playing in the N.A.B.A 18+ because are team was 125-3 over a 4 year span and 2 of the losses were forfeits.:rll: All the competition had left. I played in College also, but now I play softball with Rob because its only a hour commitment instead of 3 1/2.
I was playing in a basketball league on Thursday nights but our team really sucked. I would bring the ball up and nobody would move, I wish I had Tiny Tim to dish the rock down low!:D
Jeff.

WA 2 FST
01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey Jeff,

Where did you go to school?

Yeah, winning all the time is no fun. I play MSBL. NABA is not good for me b/c they play Sunday in the AM, and I'm in church. MSBL is Sunday PM and one day during the week. When I was in college I played one season in the summer in DABA. That's an excellent league. They are going to wood bats now (probably to try and compete with the new Intercollegiate League here in N. Texas).

Honestly, the 28+ league (at least in MSBL) is better than the 18+ league b/c we attract the most ex-college/pro players. Half of the 18+ guys are ones who didn't play any college ball at all. Then you've got teams like the one you were on that are so much better than everyone else. Most of those guys are over 28, and play in the 28+ league as well (I guess their lifestyle just allows them to play 3-4x a week). The 28+ league is split into two divisions... one being more competitive than the other, so it works out well.

Several guys on our team also play in the NABA 18AAA league (Bandits), and their opinion is that we are as good as they are...we just have some older guys (like me ;)).

Alpine
01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
I went to Newman Smith High school and then played at Northlake. Are N.A.B.A team was all guys over 30 except for 2 of us. All of us were ex- college, ex -pro guys and we would just pound the young bucks. N.A.B.A use to be really good when we played back in '94-'97, now it is not. Are D.A.B.A team was good also, the Astros. My brother played for the White Sox and owns a batting cage called Cover All Bases in Arlington on Cooper so it was nice hitting all the time. If you ever need someone to come out if you dont have enough guys, give me a shout. We could turn a couple of double plays up the middle.:tu: Old Rob is pretty good too, he has a cannon from the outfield.:d

Tex Arcana
01-07-2005, 06:35 PM
SMU. Class of '02. Did you play ball in the area?
Yer kidding!! I was class of '01. What was your major?

Tex Arcana
01-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Tommy,

I kinda like this version of Uncle Rocks "sh!ttin' and gettin' " at Hallsville '04! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gif Luv' ya, Rocks! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif

Wes/WA2,

You on any softball teams? I played on a corporate team - General Motors Assy. plant in OKC. back in college. They called me "Scud" b/c they always put me in deep-left field b/c I was the only one on the team of Mech. Engineers who could lob them into home.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif

Oh, and there were some "accuracy" issues which I ironed out later on. I started looking where I was throwing - problem solved! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif Scud = inaccurate Iraqi missle during the 1st Gulf War, btw.

Ronald

:rll: x 10^1000

my2002lightning
01-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Yep, retired college-athlete. I've got Photoshop skills too.

I'm sure I can add that to my resume. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1218

WA 2 FST
01-07-2005, 11:37 PM
I went to Newman Smith High school and then played at Northlake. Are N.A.B.A team was all guys over 30 except for 2 of us. All of us were ex- college, ex -pro guys and we would just pound the young bucks. N.A.B.A use to be really good when we played back in '94-'97, now it is not. Are D.A.B.A team was good also, the Astros. My brother played for the White Sox and owns a batting cage called Cover All Bases in Arlington on Cooper so it was nice hitting all the time. If you ever need someone to come out if you dont have enough guys, give me a shout. We could turn a couple of double plays up the middle.:tu: Old Rob is pretty good too, he has a cannon from the outfield.:d

Northlake has a good program from what I remember. Did you play with a guy named Toby DuPree? He would have been at Northlake in the '89-91 range.

Newman Smith was always good back in the late 80s, early 90s. I went to TCA and we played NS in a couple of tournaments back in the mid-80s when I was in HS.

BC Lightning
01-13-2005, 01:17 PM
wes, is that TCA addison? I went to TCA for my 8-9th grade years and played baseball there before transfering to Irving. A buddy of mine (David Percey) that graduated from TCA went pro not too long ago. He was pitching for OU.

I recently stopped playing college baseball at Dallas Baptist becuase of my shoulder surgery. I'm thinking of going back, but we shall see.

Northlake does have a good program, TCU uses them to keep players that can't get into TCU right away or don't have room for them on TCU's roster.

WA 2 FST
01-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Hey Michael... yes, that's TCA-Addison. I graduated in '86.

I remember reading about David P. You're right... he got drafted last year. Can't remember the team, but he went in the top 10 rounds of the Major League draft.

DBU is a super baseball school. We played them each year when I was at Austin College. Never could beat them, but they were always so deep. They'd just roll out one flamethrowing pitcher after another.

I know recently they went D-1 (which is where they always belonged).

BC Lightning
01-13-2005, 01:42 PM
wes,

DBU has recently gone D-1 and are in the last year of the provisionary period, which means they can compete in playoffs next year. I actually went down and visited Austin College, but took a nice schlorship from DBU. Percey went to the Blue Jays. He is a stud. Did you ever play under Coach Addair? What a sad thing to have happen to him.

WA 2 FST
01-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Yep. Coach Adair was awesome. He came to TCA two years after I graduated. I played on his summer league teams, and knew him since I was 9 yrs old. In fact at that time, he was just leaving his post as the coach at SMU (which dropped the baseball program). He was actually a very good friend to me when my dad passed away when I was 15. To see him have to go through the same illness later on was difficult, but he was a great man who fulfilled his purpose here and is now in a better place.

BC Lightning
01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
he was awesome, i only played under him for a year, but in that time i learned so much from him, even after I left TCA he would still keep in contact with me to make sure I was doing alright, he is how I got introduced to DBU. I was at his funeral and David P. and another buddy of mine who played, Scott Rooker, were pall bearers. My sister graduated from TCA with his son Aaron. He is in a better place.

00Bolt
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I'll play center.

i got SG... i played in high school and some leagues after high school..... im not tall or anything.... but i can shoot!!! once hit 9 3pointers in one game :D

Tiny Tim
01-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Yer kidding!! I was class of '01. What was your major?

Management Information System and Computer Science. U?

Alpine - I went to Newman Smith too. Class of '98.

WA 2 FST - IMO Dement sucked. He was great at recruiting though. His public persona was very different from what he acted like behind closed doors. There are so many stories I can tell. :)

WA 2 FST
01-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Jon,

That really doesn't surprise me about Dement. Many coaches are like that... so is the general public, if we want to be honest. I think recruiting is 75% of college coaching anyway, but you still have to develop a cohesive team or it doesn't work out in the long run.

Tex Arcana
01-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Management Information System and Computer Science. U?

Alpine - I went to Newman Smith too. Class of '98.

WA 2 FST - IMO Dement sucked. He was great at recruiting though. His public persona was very different from what he acted like behind closed doors. There are so many stories I can tell. :)

Mechanical Engineering.