PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm...

Logan
01-06-2005, 08:53 PM
I find myself twisting and tossing between another Lightning or a vette for the after hours play toy.

I miss my truck. Never owned a vette though and the 05 looks really neato-keano.

But I know and love Lightnings.

Sigh, Decisions Decisions...

PS - Side rant. Decent God damn water softeners are F'IN EXPENSIVE!

L8 APEX
01-06-2005, 09:07 PM
A yellow or black C6 with nice wheels looks like a Ferrari. I would hold out for the new Z06 it will be a 7 liter man eater:bows

00Bolt
01-06-2005, 09:15 PM
as much as i like my L.... its a no brainer

http://www.siliconforestcorvetteclub.com/2005-z06/c6z1_sm.jpg

jim woods
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
I would get a used low miles mint (under 15k) Z06 2001-2003 model. A C5 ZO6 is faster than a new C6.You can buy one for 27-32k(under15k miles) if you look around.The C5, and C5 Z06 prices have drop like a rock in the past year because of the C6 introduction.

L8 APEX
01-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Once you get to know Logan you will know he isn't about yesterdays car;)

Ivanhoe_Farms
01-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Z07 --- Red/saddle interior --- If they make it in a convertible, I am in!!;)

I need a new business car, and that car will give any other car the business:tu:

Logan
01-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Once you get to know Logan you will know he isn't about yesterdays car;)

Yeah, but an 03 Z06 might make a nice beater til the new Z06 comes out and dealers get over themselves with the pricing on em.

02BOLT
01-08-2005, 12:28 AM
I was hem hawing around the other day, and stopped by Vandergriff Chevrolet on I-20 in A-town. They had a few C6's out there, and also a beautiful Anniversary Editon Electron Blue ZO6(Le Mans paint scheme, w/ the carbon fiber hood). Sticker was $57K, BUT they had $47K written on the window. Sweet a$$ car!

It doesn't matter which brand a fella is loyal to, ya gotta tip your hat to any of the ZO6 models. They frickin' ROCK!:tu:....just my .02

The new C6's are awful sharp as well...BTW, but good luck getting one for under sticker.

jcblack
01-08-2005, 12:45 AM
I was hem hawing around the other day, and stopped by Vandergriff Chevrolet on I-20 in A-town. They had a few C6's out there, and also a beautiful Anniversary Editon Electron Blue ZO6(Le Mans paint scheme, w/ the carbon fiber hood). Sticker was $57K, BUT they had $47K written on the window. Sweet a$$ car!

It doesn't matter which brand a fella is loyal to, ya gotta tip your hat to any of the ZO6 models. They frickin' ROCK!:tu:....just my .02

The new C6's are awful sharp as well...BTW, but good luck getting one for under sticker.I think that anniversary Z06 had been on the lot for a while. I was there about two months ago and it was there.

02BOLT
01-08-2005, 01:07 AM
I think that anniversary Z06 had been on the lot for a while. I was there about two months ago and it was there.

Damn boy, you're up late. 10-4 on the ZO6. The salesguy mentioned that it had been there a while. I'm not absolutely nuts about the stripes myself, but it's still a bad motha. I wish I had the dough, cause I'm sure they'll deal on that bad boy, just to get it off the lot.:burnout:

WA 2 FST
01-08-2005, 07:37 PM
If you have the means to consider a new C6 Z06 that will be out late in '05, then consider picking up a brand new '04 Z06 for $42k or less (if you search you can get this kind of deal). Go to Lingenfelter or 21st Century Musclecars in Dallas, write them a nice check... end up with a twin-turbo, forged bottom-end, 675hp car with full warranty. It will be fast enough to wipe out anything except the top .01% of cars on the US roadways (yes, 1/100th of a percent...there is, of course, always _someone_ faster). And yes, it will hang with a 750-1000cc bike (from a roll). You'll have a car that is capable of 220+mph (same drivetrain that J. Lingenfelter himself used to push a C5 to 226mph a few years back), and it will run 9s, 10s, or 11s @ 136-140mph depending on how good of a driver you are and available traction. It will also pass an emissions test (mine did today for the second year in a row), and get 28mpg on the highway.

Yeah, I guess it will still be yesterday's model, but if you are concerned about that then why the interest in a Gen 2 Lightning? They've been around for 5 years, too. :)

I'm not dissing the C6 Z06. It will be nothing short of an awesome car, and a great deal even at the anticipated price of $75k.

wesman
01-08-2005, 10:49 PM
If you have the means to consider a new C6 Z06 that will be out late in '05, then consider picking up a brand new '04 Z06 for $42k or less (if you search you can get this kind of deal). Go to Lingenfelter or 21st Century Musclecars in Dallas, write them a nice check... .

How big of a check? ;)

Thinking of selling one of my 10mpg beasts and getting something that still gets decent MPG, is reliable and will still open up a can when I need it to :)

--wes

WA 2 FST
01-09-2005, 12:04 AM
www.21stcenturymusclecars.com (http://www.21stcenturymusclecars.com)

Certainly not cheap, and that's why I prefaced it by saying "if you have the means to purchase a C6 Z06" (more than likely will be upwards of $75k).

wesman
01-09-2005, 01:49 AM
So $30k plus it seems....still don't see how tuners justify that. I know what it takes to build a custom TT setup and it certainly isn't anywhere close to $30k....but I suppose there's something to be said for a low 10 sec street ride.

--wes

dboat
01-09-2005, 09:03 AM
So $30k plus it seems....still don't see how tuners justify that. I know what it takes to build a custom TT setup and it certainly isn't anywhere close to $30k....but I suppose there's something to be said for a low 10 sec street ride.

--wes

Gotta make a living, a profit and pay for all the overhead... but yes, a daily driveable 10 sec street machine would be nice.
Dana

Logan
01-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Haven't had a problem with the C6, have a couple dealer's who'll order me whatever I want on my supplier discount for about $6k under MSRP...

WA 2 FST
01-09-2005, 01:49 PM

--wes

No one said it couldn't be done cheaper. But 99x out of a 100, there's a compromise to the driveability of the car compared to the stock car. This would be the 1 out of 100 (or more). If you rode or drove one, you would think it was a showroom stock car... until you hammered the throttle. If you open the hood, you'd think the car had an intake and headers... that's all you can see. With the stock exhaust still on, the car is stealthy quiet. It still delivers superb gas mileage, comes with a warranty and passes emissions. Most one-off projects cannot deliver any of these things.

The point wasn't whether it was worth it. The point was that if you have the means to buy a C6 Z06, but want a Vette now that offers pretty substantial performance in a stock-like package... its available.

WA 2 FST
01-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Haven't had a problem with the C6, have a couple dealer's who'll order me whatever I want on my supplier discount for about $6k under MSRP...

That's great to hear! I wasn't trying to hijack the thread... only offer an opinion. I don't know you, so I didn't know what you were really after.

r1eater
01-09-2005, 04:27 PM
No one said it couldn't be done cheaper. But 99x out of a 100, there's a compromise to the driveability of the car compared to the stock car. This would be the 1 out of 100 (or more). If you rode or drove one, you would think it was a showroom stock car... until you hammered the throttle. If you open the hood, you'd think the car had an intake and headers... that's all you can see. With the stock exhaust still on, the car is stealthy quiet. It still delivers superb gas mileage, comes with a warranty and passes emissions. Most one-off projects cannot deliver any of these things.

The point wasn't whether it was worth it. The point was that if you have the means to buy a C6 Z06, but want a Vette now that offers pretty substantial performance in a stock-like package... its available.

I agree, there are different ways of making things fast... When you stated earlier that your vette with that kit is faster than pretty much everything out there,(paraphrasing) I thought to myself not my neighbors mustang which is a 9-10 sec @140+ street monster, but when it comes to fit and finish, I'm sure you got it all over him.

He didn't want to make it seem stock like in any way. I remember people gave me sh!t about the money I spent on the Audi (about what one of these kits costs). What I could never make them understand was that the whole point of the kit was not just to make it fast but to make it fast, but it was the manner of which they did it by keeping it stock like clean. By that I mean nobody ever thought anything was different about that car until I opened it up.

Wes, next time I'm up in Dallas or your're down in SA I want a ride :tu:

WA 2 FST
01-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, there is _always_ someone out there with a faster vehicle. I've been around long enough to know that. What it would take is something rather exotic that could handle, brake and accelerate as well as an LPE TT Z06.

But like you, I believe in doing things one way, and compromises to one person may not be that way to another. Getting 28mpg on the highway and having a car that has been tested to do 220+mph is obviously not a drag-oriented vehicle. But it would hold it's own from 0-140 down the 1/4 mile.

What I do know is that on street tires, the C5 chassis handles the power a LOT better than my old Fox-bodied Mustang ever could.

My brother has a Sport-Tech (I think that's the name of it...the guys in Colorado) '01 S4 with the upgraded turbos, intercoolers, etc. It's a sweet car. Dyno'd ~400rwhp. With AWD, its a blast.

r1eater
01-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Yup, the Sportech guys are only in Colorado they are known for good stuff. One of their customers drove back down through here after getting his tuned to play with my S4. :( Ah those were the days...

Tex Arcana
01-10-2005, 12:26 PM
PS - Side rant. Decent God damn water softeners are F'IN EXPENSIVE!

Waht're you looking for, and why? I'm in the market for a softener system myself, maybe we can figure something out. :tu: