PDA

View Full Version : Scarpello and the Lightning

Sixpipes
01-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Taken from this month's SVT Enthusiast magazine. Makes sense. There was a 3-year break between the Gen I and Gen II Lightnings. It appears that Ford is being consistent with their marketing plan.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8scarpello.JPG

98Cobra
01-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Yea, I agree that there has always been a gap, but what a TERRIBLE time, in terms of what the competition is doing, to have that gap! By the time the next Lightning gets here, it could be too late - rising oil prices, a downturn in the economy, etc could all kill it very easily. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

WA 2 FST
01-10-2005, 06:26 PM
All this talk about only being able to have enough resources to finish one product at a time (that being the Cobra) tells me Ford isn't that committed to the SVT program. Period. Now Coletti is gone. :(

I think this statement is just a way to appease loyal SVT owners. The reason there was such a gap b/w the Gen 1 and Gen 2 is b/c (believe it or not), the Gen 1 was a horrible seller. I loved my '94 and thought it was a great truck, but those things sat on lots forever.

Citing the fact they need more time for R&D is bs. The Gen 2 has been out for 5 years. What have they been doing during that time? I guess nothing... since Ford doesn't have sufficient resources to fund the program at a high level.

rickgig
01-10-2005, 11:20 PM
The gap cannot be denied... but if that is the fall back... then why did they announce the Gen III in the first place and offer the special lease program for 2004 buyers?

The good news is that they are trying to retract or redirect the reason for the cancellation... to me this means the emails and faxes did the job.

Max Mitchell
01-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I just keep thinking of Colletti on TNN a few years back taunting that Mopar and Chevy just can't bring anything up to the plate to challenge the Lightning. Then, as soon as they do, it's production over. Seems like a whipped mutt with it's tail between it's legs.