PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of head work

03LightningRocks
01-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Normally I don't post my personal crap on here, but in this case I am hoping it helps me achieve a goal.

I have been trying to quit smoking with no success for 2 years now. The damn things are killing me:eek: . So in about two hours I have an appointment with a hypnotist. I have never been a big believer in this type of theropy, but figure I have nothing to loose in trying.

Wish me luck.............maybe reading this post in a day or two will help me resist the urge to light up.

Rocks:beer:

Wht95Lightning
01-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Good Luck! My ex wife quit smoking with hypnosis about 8 years ago. I quit 3 years ago on the 3rd try by using the patch and chewing gum. For me, it was more determintation to quit than anything else. My health was really tanking after a pack+ a day since 1982. I feel 100% better now though, no coughing, food tastes better, sense of smell is way better too. Blood pressure went down, sex drive goes up, among other things. YOU will smell better to others. You are doing the right thing.

You can do it!! :nana2

Nuhklz
01-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Good luck.

98Cobra
01-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Definately pulling for you, Rocks! You can kick it! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Silver_2000
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Good luck

I quit after 7 years about 15 years ago

The key for me was being CERTAIN thats what I wanted ... And sticking to it

- It also helps if you hang with a crowd of smokers to avoid them over the short term

Doug

StormShadow
01-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Good luck Uncle Rocks. If it works out for you then I might also make an appointment. I want to be like the guy from Office Space. I really don't like working so I'm hoping the DR can kinda zonk me out. Make me think I've been fishing all day instead of working. :evil

tliss
01-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Go for it Ron! The first step to self-improvement is to realize what your "issues" are doing to you. Glad you see the error of your ways...good luck!!

Now if that doesn't work, you can prolly get another kind of head work from the "ladies" down on Harry Hines.....won't help you quit smoking, tho :d

Tom

my2002lightning
01-19-2005, 05:07 PM
You can do it, Uncle Rocks! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif Elaine's almost quit completely by sheer will-power, alone. Day #3 was the worst. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cry.gif

You going to get beat by a GIRL ?!? http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

You can do it.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Ronald

Tex Arcana
01-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Good luck, Rocks, addictions are hard to beat.

BC Lightning
01-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Good Luck Uncle Rocks, were all pulling for you!!!

03LightningRocks
01-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the well wishes everybody. It's been since 11:15 this morning with no smokes. The hypnotism thing is basicly...BULLSH!T....I want a smoke right now just as if I never went to the hypnotists.

I may end up on the news.....I am FRICKING ENRAGED and don't know at what:eek: .

Has anyone smoked any newspaper lately??? I remember it not being so bad when I was around 8. Hmm...I may have some 10 year old weed hidden in the sock drawer...what is the expiration on weed??? I don't know...I feel like I have lost an old friend.

Later....and thanks again:tu:

Moonshine
01-19-2005, 09:48 PM
Ron, you can do this.

I quit smoking on Dec 23rd, 2003 after being a pack+ a day smoker for 25 years. I did not ever try the hypnotherapy, but I did try most of the other stuff. What finally worked for me was a decision to do it in spite of the fact that I really enjoyed smoking, and a Rx for Wellbutrin.

Take it one cig at a time, and the hours will turn into days that turn into weeks,etc.....

Hang in there.

03LightningRocks
01-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks Brian.....my doctor gave me a script for Wellbutrin just in case....I took one a couple hours ago. It seems to help the edgy feelings. I haven't been very social to the few folks I have talked to...I get ticked off and then can't even figure out why. Time for some isolation. Maybe you could hook me up with a cell......just make sure I get fed and congical(sp) visits. I prefer brunetts with nice booty...LOL.

Rocks

MrsMy2002Lightning
01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Hello Rox :)

You're doing good. Everyone's crabby when they stop smoking. It's brutal! One of the hardest things people will ever have to do is break "habits". The first three days, everyone around you will get a rear end chewing at least 3-10 times hehe... then it gets a little easier...

You don't need any of those things to quit. You need to WANT to quit smoking.

What you need to do is look at the situation when you want a cigarette. Decide why it is that you really want one. Most of the time you'll realize that it's 100% habit and not 1% "want".

If you're in traffic and you're ticked 'cause you want a cigarette, you've already decided yourself that you want to quit or you wouldn't be trying so hard to. So it's completely habbit, not because you're dying for a cigarette. So just focus your energy on looking at things around you instead of letting cigarettes control your mind. And sometimes it's kinda fun to watch people.

There are certain times during the day that you light up and specific events during each day. Look at when you really think about cigarettes. My hardest thing was sitting in traffic, going to and from work, and taking breaks with people at work. And right before going to bed which is the only one I haven't completely kicked yet. hehe

You might try what I'm doing. I have a count of how many cigarettes I would have smoked so far this year and how many I really have. I'm allowed one a day no matter what time of day it is. You decide when that one is and you still know you're going to get that satisfaction of ONE CIGARETTE today so it's not as hard as it would be going without completely. It's getting easier every day to not really want that cigarette. And when you do smoke that one, or sneak one, you don't really have to smoke all of it, most of the time 1-3 puffs will do it and you're fine, so break it in half and throw it out when you're done.

And the biggest reason of all for you to quit smoking is 'cause I'm a girl and I'm kicking your @$$!

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/dancing_banana.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/banana2.gif

LOL

Tex Arcana
01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
ROcks, Laney said it right, sometimes the best way to beat this is to wean yourself off it.

If this cold-turkey thing is getting too hard, you can switch to the wean method, which is simply counting the unmber of smokes in one day; then cutting back by one a day 'til it physically hurts, then holding there for a couple-three days 'til you feel a bit better, then cutting back again, repeating the process 'til you're down to one a day, and at that point you can end it rather easily.

Again, good luck, and stay the hell away from my end of the world 'til you get over your road rage. :tu:

Wht95Lightning
01-20-2005, 03:49 PM
ROcks, Laney said it right, sometimes the best way to beat this is to wean yourself off it.

If this cold-turkey thing is getting too hard, you can switch to the wean method, which is simply counting the unmber of smokes in one day; then cutting back by one a day 'til it physically hurts, then holding there for a couple-three days 'til you feel a bit better, then cutting back again, repeating the process 'til you're down to one a day, and at that point you can end it rather easily.

Again, good luck, and stay the hell away from my end of the world 'til you get over your road rage. :tu:

NOWAY! If you made it through the night without lighting up then don't even think about it. The first 72 hours are the worst and if you spark up you'll only be prolonging the agony.

03LightningRocks
01-20-2005, 04:08 PM
A friend/coworker is doing this at the same time I am. I called him this morning and he is having a hard time too. He called the hypnotist and ask why we where both craving smokes so bad if this thing was suppose to help. She told him that the second session would be the one that really makes it easy....I am calling BULL SH!T:bs on the hypnotist deal. I'll go back for the second session since I already paid for it...but I have my doubts. Screw it, I am still going to stop these darned things...It just isn't going to be easy like I had hoped.

Rocks:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek: :cool: :cool: :vomit: :crying:

Wht95Lightning
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Samsclub sells the patches at a really good price. That's how I quit. If you want to meet me at the Samsclub in west Arlington I will use my membership to get us in so you can buy them.

MrsMy2002Lightning
01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Sam's Club Citizen's Arrest? hehehe j/k

That's nice of you Gary. Can use ours here in Frisco too if you're closer. Ronald said to be ready to shop for an hour if you meet us and rolled his eyes? http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

The hypnosis thing is complete BS. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bs-smilie.gif

MrsMy2002Lightning
01-20-2005, 07:09 PM
And by the way Rox, that Wellbutrin... take it like you're supposed to and once you get to the point where you're supposed to stop smoking.....even if you get out to a club and start partying and drinking and forget you don't smoke anymore....if you light one up you'll get sick.....hehe

tliss
01-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Samsclub sells the patches at a really good price. That's how I quit. If you want to meet me at the Samsclub in west Arlington I will use my membership to get us in so you can buy them.

I've seen Ron at Sam's so I know he's got a membership. He was buying big tubs of vaseline, celery stalks and lots of Snickers bars....not sure what that was all about :confused: :d ...

Ron, you know I'm rooting for you! Keep on going buddy and you'll beat it!

Tom

03LightningRocks
01-20-2005, 09:13 PM
I've seen Ron at Sam's so I know he's got a membership. He was buying big tubs of vaseline, celery stalks and lots of Snickers bars....not sure what that was all about :confused: :d ...

Ron, you know I'm rooting for you! Keep on going buddy and you'll beat it!

Tom

I was hosting a Female oil wrestling event:cool:....they where out of baby oil.

tliss
01-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I was hosting a Female oil wrestling event:cool:....they where out of baby oil.

...and you didn't invite me? Bastage!:mad:

Tom

MrsMy2002Lightning
01-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Poor Tom... Way to go Ron! hehe :)