PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman aluminum jack?

SILVER2000SVT
01-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Anybody else have one of these? I got one for Christmas, it's a 2 ton jack and it won't lift the front of the Lightning more than maybe half way up the stroke of the jack.

StormShadow
01-26-2005, 09:49 AM
I have one and I lifted the front of the truck to change the oil the other day and didn't notice a problem :confused:

SILVER2000SVT
01-26-2005, 12:25 PM
It lifts the back of the truck just fine. When it lifts the front the little bit it's not falling or anything, it just won't lift the tires more than 1" off the ground and when you continue to pump it feels like it's bleeding the excess off. I tightening down on the handle to close the valve really good but that didn't make any difference. I wonder if I got one with a faultly pressure relief valve or something?

Silver_2000
01-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Make sure its not low on oil

SILVER2000SVT
01-26-2005, 12:52 PM
I just spoke to the manufacturer and was told something was definitely wrong with it if it couldn't lift the front of an F150. From the symptoms he thinks the valving to relieve pressure isn't correct. He didn't act suprised from what I was telling him either. He told me to take it back to Sears for a replacement.

PoorSvtman
01-26-2005, 08:31 PM
I was told by sears thats its illegal to rebuild a jack or sell a sold one that was returned.

Check the fluid level. I just bought mine from sears for 90 bucks. knana

SILVER2000SVT
01-26-2005, 08:38 PM
I went to Sears and they replaced it. I tried the new one out under the front cross member and it goes a little farther, enough for the front tires to clear about 2 inches, but there is still about another 2-3 inches of travel in this new jack then it just stops going up when it's under load. This is fine if you are just changing the tires but if you want to crawl under with a creaper, that extra 2-3" would be helpful.