PDA

View Full Version : Discount Tire Free Replacement Warranty?

SILVER2000SVT
01-26-2005, 07:25 PM
What are you guys opinions on Discount Tire's free replacement warranty? It costs roughly $36 per tire (depending on it's value) and they replace the tire free charge for any non repairable issue during the entire tread life of the tire.

I've bought this warranty on a couple of sets of tires for previous vehicles and with one incident with one tire it pays for itself. This last set of GY F1's I bought for the Lightning went 25K without any problems and now it's time for new ones, so now I'm second guessing it's value.

Also, It seems like this is a major profit area of the sale. Does anybody have experience in whether or not this is fixed charge or negotiable?

For those dishonest people, you could be like a neighbor of mine and conviently get a tire slashed about once ever 6 months. :nono:

wesman
01-26-2005, 09:54 PM
I think it's worth it, especially since I've bought 2k+ worth of tires in the last year.

Sandman
01-26-2005, 09:57 PM
I bought of tires for my wife's truck from discount. I think I bought 1 warranty... I doubt all 4 will go at once.

SILVER2000SVT
01-26-2005, 10:06 PM
I bought of tires for my wife's truck from discount. I think I bought 1 warranty... I doubt all 4 will go at once.

From my past experience they assign the warranty to the serial number on the tire so that each warranty is for a specific tire.

PoorSvtman
01-27-2005, 01:09 AM
From my past experience they assign the warranty to the serial number on the tire so that each warranty is for a specific tire.

Thats how its done. We do the same thing at work for out tires for life rip off. Each tire has a serial number.

03LightningRocks
01-27-2005, 02:50 AM
I usually buy the warranty, but I don't remember paying 36 bucks a tire.

dboat
01-27-2005, 05:55 AM
I replied that it isnt worth it for F1s, but I have bought it in the past for my other car tires. I just dont think that our tires last long enough to make it worthwhile, unless this is the only way to get free balancing and rotation. Then its worth it for that alone.
Dana

Lyfisin
01-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Interesting.

I'm the opposite. I almost never buy any extended warranty. I kind of feel like if you never buy any of them, the money you save will more than make up for the occasional thing they would have covered.

In regard to tires specifically, I just don't see too many cars with new tires on the side of the road because of flat tires. My experience with Goodyear tires hasn't been good as far as them reaching the expected tread life, and I know others who have had similar experience. If they didn't last, I always figured Goodyear would want detailed information as to how often you rotate them and stoof. I would think Lightnings might not last as long as the expected tread wear just from all the :burnout: that is likely to happen. :)

Last year, I bought an extended warranty on my TV. The TV was really expensive and we have a lot of lightning here, so I thought it was good insurance. I also got Circuit City to discount the TV a lot more before I bought it, which helped pay for the warranty.

98Cobra
01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
http://www.dribbleglass.com/images/homer1.gif

Extended warranty! How can I lose?

L8 APEX
01-27-2005, 10:36 AM
I kind of laughed at the Discount guys since I knew I would e back for a new set in 6 months. My brother buys it and so do a lot of my friends. During the summer my buddy bought a new set of Nitto A/T's for his Z71. We made a trip down the river that weekend. Leaving the campground parking lot their home made tire spikes slashed a sidewall. They are not liable for any damage per their signs etc... So we threw on the spare and he replaced his 36 hour old tire with a new one free. They help you out more when you have the warranty. I think they gave Rob a great deal on two when one was bad just so they would match tread depth.

Silver_2000
01-27-2005, 01:31 PM
I NEVER - EVER drive off the road surface. Never on the shoulder. Never across the corss hatch right before the barrier on an exit. If you stay in the road surfaceyour chances of picking up something in the tires is MUCH smaller.

Having said that I have bought the warranty in the past - depends on the cost - if covering all 4 costs less than 1/2 the cost of one new one then I go for it

George G.
01-27-2005, 01:36 PM
so it's not a flat fee for this? Reason I ask is cause I recently bought 2 tires for a Nissan Altima and it was like 9.xx per tire.

SILVER2000SVT
01-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm going to say worth it now. I was hoping to make it a couple of more months, but I got a leak in one of the front tires and something had to be done soon.
I just went and bought a new set of Nittos from Brandt today. I had a tire that was unfixable with a tear where the tread meets the sidewall and very little tread left and he gave me a new one under the free replacement. So I only had to buy 3 new ones.

This couldn't have come at a worse time money wise but, I can't beat $800 out the door with four new tires and the lifetime free replacement warranty.

L8 APEX
01-27-2005, 09:59 PM
I know a lot of us down south live in or around new subdivisions. There are 16 penny nails and buidling debris all over! Drag radials seems to pick up objects like a magnet. It is a % of the purchase price maybe about 10%.

SILVER2000SVT
01-27-2005, 10:16 PM
I know a lot of us down south live in or around new subdivisions. There are 16 penny nails and buidling debris all over! Drag radials seems to pick up objects like a magnet. It is a % of the purchase price maybe about 10%.

Sounds like my neighborhood, They are building a bunch of new houses right around the corner. I usually go for walks pretty regularly and end up picking up nails in the street in front of the new construction as I go. I do see some of the contractors sweeping the street in the evening time before they leave, so they somewhat try, just not that good.

The price I ended up paying was $33.XX per $200 tire, so around 16.5% or 1/6th.

mc-svt
01-28-2005, 10:33 PM
i dont no if im think correctly on this ,i may be a lil dis honest yeh,,,,but not totaly dis honest,,
but if u pay per tire ok,,,,,,,,,,,surely that like buying a large coke in mc donalds ,with free refill,,,,
yup i did this once,no wonder she was taken a back ,,,,
i never new it was free refill,,,,,,,,,or i would pay for middle size,,,,,,,,,see im no realy dis honest ,,,,,,,
which brings me back to ,insure one ,,,,hey we all have wheel brace,,,,,,,
sorry ,,,,,,,,,,
it maybe me , but over here its like in your money $400 per tire ,,,,,,
and we dont get this insurance ,,,,,,,,cause theres guys that ,push there luck,,,,,,, :rll: :rll: :rll: :rll:
yeah righ ,,,,,,,,.
if you only knew how much i pay for vechile insurance its a grand a vechile,for me any driver ,,,,so 6 vechiles on road this month ,,,,,thats $12,000 yup ,,bad huh
that price is per year ,
not month
sorry ,cant type goood
:banana:

98Cobra
01-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm at a loss for words here. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/statiictongue.gif