PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages to dark Window Tint

L-Fever
01-27-2005, 08:03 AM
I was giving a co-worker a ride to work yesterday morning, we were traveling north through Carrollton, and we stopped at a red light in the left lane. The light turned green, and I looked both directions and gave it a little gas and the tires squeaked just a little bit and took off normally.On the way to the next red light I look over to the passenger side of the truck and I see all these bright flashing lights and I am saying to my friend wth is that? I rolled to a stop at the next light, rolled down the passenger side window and there he was, one of Carrollton's finest policeman with his spotlight shining in my truck blinding us. Then he says "The next time you decide to take off like that, you should check to see if there is a cop in the lane next to you!" Then I said, I'm sorry officer it just slipped and it won't happen again and he said that's fine and from now on be careful and let us go! :rll:

00Bolt
01-27-2005, 08:39 AM
what did you do? just squeak the tires?

as for dark tint, the disadvantage I guess would be seeing at night, i can see fine in mine in the day, but at night its hard. When I had my truck inspected about a month or so ago, I had them check my tint just to see what it was and it was "2"

Nuhklz
01-27-2005, 08:45 AM
When the cop saw what was behind that tinted window he couldn't get away fast enough http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif

L-Fever
01-27-2005, 08:47 AM
When the cop saw what was behind that tinted window he couldn't get away fast enough http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif

:rll: :rll:

L-Fever
01-27-2005, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=00Bolt]what did you do? just squeak the tires?

Yep!

03LightningRocks
01-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Sounds like more B.S. from the, "exhibition of speed", laws. That law gives cops way too much room for f#cking with people. I have been jacked with once already because of that law.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
01-27-2005, 07:41 PM

as for dark tint, the disadvantage I guess would be seeing at night, i can see fine in mine in the day, but at night its hard. When I had my truck inspected about a month or so ago, I had them check my tint just to see what it was and it was "2"

that 2 means only 2% of light can get threw that tint basicly.

00Bolt
01-27-2005, 11:47 PM
that 2 means only 2% of light can get threw that tint basicly.

so is that limo tint or what?

PoorSvtman
01-28-2005, 01:31 AM
so is that limo tint or what?

I think its way darker than limo. I think limo is around 10% but i could be wrong.

Silver_2000
01-28-2005, 01:48 AM
I had Limo on a truck about 20 years ago - Never again

Left turns at night were a real challenge - I had to lean forward to look through the windshield to see the medians -A real pain in the ass

Thankfully it was a 4x4 so I could just pop over them if I needed to...

Doug

03LightningRocks
01-28-2005, 02:04 AM
I had Limo on a truck about 20 years ago - Never again

Left turns at night were a real challenge - I had to lean forward to look through the windshield to see the medians -A real pain in the ass

Thankfully it was a 4x4 so I could just pop over them if I needed to...

Doug

That is ironic...The fnight I brought my Lightning home after the dealer tinted the Windows, I wacked a Garbage can pulling into my alley(it was plastic...no harm done). I was stunned that I couldn't see anything out of my side windows at night. I have had to let my window down to see in some areas that are not well lit.

The truck I just brought home is not near that dark. The dealer told me both where at the legal limit. Either my Lightning is too dark...or my new truck is not at the legal limit. Same dealer did both...LOL. I need a tool to check my Lightning with. FFW says they are going to bounce us out if our tint is darker than the limit in the State we are racing in. I sense trouble...:rolleyes:

dboat
01-28-2005, 05:22 AM
I went with the darkest legal tint but got the metal kind. It reflects out more so that folks cant see in but the view out is fine, day or night. I wouldnt go back. The wife wanted to redo her SUV in it, but I didnt want to pay the money again..
Dana

Silver_2000
01-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I went with the darkest legal tint but got the metal kind. It reflects out more so that folks cant see in but the view out is fine, day or night. I wouldnt go back. The wife wanted to redo her SUV in it, but I didnt want to pay the money again..
Dana

Funny I just had the 04 done - I went to Sunmasters where I have had my last 3 vehicles done and they were surprised when I asked for Nickle tint ( metallic )

It has better heat and uv rejection than the regular tint and since its metal based it cant fade. I also like the slight silver refliection it has. THey were all uptight about how the back wouldnt match since it had tint built in ... I said the back wont match anything since it has tint built in...

In the end - just like Dana - I have Metalic tint... JUST like my 2000

PoorSvtman
01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Certain % of the metalic tint is illegal. For inspections im not supposed to pass anything with metalic tint.

WA 2 FST
01-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Sounds like more B.S. from the, "exhibition of speed", laws. That law gives cops way too much room for f#cking with people. I have been jacked with once already because of that law.

Rocks

Me too, brutha! I had one chase me down on 190. I must've been 3-4 miles past the tollbooth where I supposedly "exhibited excessive acceleration" coming out of there. He pulled me over and I had been doing 60-65mph the entire time.

I was not happy.

REXRENEGADE
01-28-2005, 04:49 PM
Good thing that officer had to pee or he would have wrote you up :d

Silver_2000
01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Certain % of the metalic tint is illegal. For inspections im not supposed to pass anything with metalic tint.

Law says "Front Side WindowsMust not be more than 25% reflective."

BC Lightning
01-28-2005, 08:22 PM
I had limo tint on my 02 L which was rated by the State Trooper at 2%. My truck had factory tint, so with 5% limo tint it knocked it down to 2%.

Lets just say being pulled over 4 times and ticketed once all in the same day will make you never get limo tint again. :flaming:

I just put legal limit tint on my 04 L and love it. I can still see at night, unlike the limo tint. :cool:

03LightningRocks
01-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Me too, brutha! I had one chase me down on 190. I must've been 3-4 miles past the tollbooth where I supposedly "exhibited excessive acceleration" coming out of there. He pulled me over and I had been doing 60-65mph the entire time.

I was not happy.

Same crap here. I never once exceded the speed limit. He threatened to arrest me and told me it was obvious by looking at my truck that it was...I quote here..."Hopped Up". He said he could tell I was racing because of the sound of my exhaust.

I did get rather hostile with him....I backed off just before he pulled out his gun...LOL.

PoorSvtman
02-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Law says "Front Side WindowsMust not be more than 25% reflective."

Yea thats the law but not for state inspections for some odd reason.

MadNess
02-02-2005, 11:26 AM

Yea the tint on mine is a 2 as well... got 1 ticket for it already... its pretty tough to drive my truck... you dont get full vision out of the front windsheild, the tint is so dark you can hardly see out in the day time, and then add the little bitty street scene side mirrors and you are in for a challenge.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek2.gif

03LightningRocks
02-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Is there some sort of meter I can buy to check mine. FFW is going to be getting crappy about tint this year. I need to have firm ground to stand on.

Rocks

MadNess
02-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Is there some sort of meter I can buy to check mine. FFW is going to be getting crappy about tint this year. I need to have firm ground to stand on.

Rocks

Run by any of the state inspection places, see where or what type of meter they have, and then hit the internet :D

98Cobra
02-02-2005, 11:52 AM
When I got the '04 tinted, I wanted darker than legal, but not limo dark. I think it is 5% on the rear, and 35% on the sides - so I did 20% on the sides, and left the rear alone. I may go back and tint the rear a little to match the side glass better but so far, so good - not too dark to see out of, not too dark to get a ticket (so far), but dark enough to look better than legal, IMO.

L-Fever
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Well, I removed my "Dark tint" and it's nice to be able to turn left without leaning forward to look through the windshield and to back up without opening the sliding window. I'm going to try stock for awhile to see how I like it.

L8 APEX
02-02-2005, 12:08 PM
I had 15% all the way on the black car and it was dark at night but cool the rest of the time. I think I had 15% on the red car as well. I had 22% on the Lightning I loved it. It had a touch of relective I think.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Black_FRC51-med.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15red_FRC_top-med.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15PR_profile1-med.jpg

SILVER2000SVT
02-02-2005, 01:32 PM
How I understand it is a tint shop can't put tint on any darker than 35%. But I was told by both state inspection and a TX Trooper that it can't measure any darker than 20%.

PoorSvtman
02-02-2005, 08:49 PM
How I understand it is a tint shop can't put tint on any darker than 35%. But I was told by both state inspection and a TX Trooper that it can't measure any darker than 20%.

Because alot of vehicles these days have a slight tint to the windows to begin with. So when you add say 20% tint it will in turn be darker than just 20%

Uncle Rocks If your going to hallsville this weekend i can bring my tint meter.

PoorSvtman
02-02-2005, 08:51 PM
When I got the '04 tinted, I wanted darker than legal, but not limo dark. I think it is 5% on the rear, and 35% on the sides - so I did 20% on the sides, and left the rear alone. I may go back and tint the rear a little to match the side glass better but so far, so good - not too dark to see out of, not too dark to get a ticket (so far), but dark enough to look better than legal, IMO.

Only the front 2 windows are legaly supposed to be darker. Any other window behind the front 2 can be as dark as you want them to be

03LightningRocks
02-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Because alot of vehicles these days have a slight tint to the windows to begin with. So when you add say 20% tint it will in turn be darker than just 20%

Uncle Rocks If your going to hallsville this weekend i can bring my tint meter.

I am a maybe right now. It depends on the miles on my motor and if my tune is OK for a few passes. I will let you know by Friday...I really need to find out what percent I am at. Thanks Mike.

Rocks

PoorSvtman
02-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I am a maybe right now. It depends on the miles on my motor and if my tune is OK for a few passes. I will let you know by Friday...I really need to find out what percent I am at. Thanks Mike.

Rocks

Just let me know. If not we can figure something out :tu: