PDA

View Full Version : KB noises

L8 APEX
01-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Per Jim Bell's instructions I took the snout off Rons KB and inspected the parts. Jim says the horrid noise comes from a $20 coupling that couples the snout to the rotors. He is sending a few replacement peices. Here is what it looks like.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15CIMG1978-med.JPG

02BOLT
01-28-2005, 09:20 AM
The pic is a little fuzzy, but I cannot see anything wrong with the spider gear. I'll give KB a call today and explain to them what we've found and about the 1/4" of play. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Later...

SILVER2000SVT
01-28-2005, 09:59 AM
From the pic, that looks like a standard lovjoy coupling. Does it have any numbers on the side of the coupling? I work with those all the time. If its just the spider (black part) that is bad, that doesn't cost more than a few $. If it's one of the metal couplings either side each of those should be about $10-$15, And that's guessing high. You can find almost any standard lovjoy coupling locally if that is what is on there.

L8 APEX
01-28-2005, 10:11 AM
It is a hard nylon type coupling I am sure it is a german or metric part. It doesn't tear up it just wears a little and makes for slack.

SILVER2000SVT
01-28-2005, 10:23 AM
There are other manufacturers because the patents have run out, but lovejoy is the top dog. It sounds like Jim has got it worked out for you, but if you end up needing to find it elsewhere or quicker I bet you can find the part locally from a distributor.

http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/jawtypecouplings.htm

It looks like you need the curve jaw version of the coupling which are the european standard. It also looks like there are different materials available for the spider as well. Maybe there's something there that doesn't wear as quickly.

cpeapea
01-30-2005, 04:10 PM
i like lovejoy stuff, use it on all of our sm cyclo gear boxes at work

Mark #2
01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Elastomer Performance Data

Standard Spider Design

Spider Type Color Material Normal Maximum Sizes Angular Parallel Axial Typical Applications

80 Shore A Blue Polyurethane -40 to 100 C Good damping properties

92 Shore A Yellow Polyurethane -40 to 100 C General & hydraulic applications

95 Shore A Red Polyurethane -40 to 100 C High torque requirements

64 Shore D Green Polyurethane -30 to 110 C High humidity environments

I think it's the heat that gets them, none are rated above 110c continuous.

Sixpipes
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
130* C = 266* F by my calculations. Does the blower get that hot? :cool:

Mark #2
01-31-2005, 06:02 PM
130* C = 266* F by my calculations. Does the blower get that hot? :cool:

I haven't monitored with a themocouple but I would say possibly.
Typcial automotive electronic test requirements for underhood applications is -55c to 125c or -65c to 150c depending on the specification. These materials do not meet those specs, also the 130 is a maximum rating, continuous duty is only 110c.

L8 APEX
02-01-2005, 12:23 AM
The original unit is black and the new ones are green.

Mark #2
02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
The original unit is black and the new ones are green.

Well according to above, they picked the highest temp material. However, black is not listed in their product specs. Maybe Blue that has degraded?

02BOLT
02-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Well according to above, they picked the highest temp material. However, black is not listed in their product specs. Maybe Blue that has degraded?

James at KB told me, that the spiders that come in the unit are black, and that the one he's sending out is green, due to its being a diff material that will withstand more heat.(which seems to be concurrent with your above stated info.)

Now, the new units may be coming out with the green ones, which may be why there's such a delay in trying to get a new one. Just speculation on my part.:cool:

Mark #2
02-01-2005, 09:34 AM
updated below

Mark #2
02-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Green maybe the hardest too however, FYI below. Hard to tell as they report green in D and rest in A.

3.5. Shore

The shore scleroscope measures hardness in terms of the elasticity of the material. A diamond-tipped hammer in a graduated glass tube is allowed to fall from a known height on the specimen to be tested, and the hardness number depends on the height to which the hammer rebounds; the harder the material, the higher the rebound [15] (http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/Hardness_ad_.htm#rf14) is a measure of the resistance of material to indentation by 3 spring-loaded indenter. The higher the number, the greater the resistance.

The hardness testing of plastics is most commonly measured by the Shore (Durometer) test or Rockwell hardness test. Both methods measure the resistance of the plastic toward indentation. Both scales provide an empirical hardness value that doesn't correlate to other properties or fundamental characteristics. Shore Hardness, using either the Shore A or Shore D scale, is the preferred method for rubbers/elastomers and is also commonly used for 'softer' plastics such as polyolefins, fluoropolymers, and vinyls. The Shore A scale is used for 'softer' rubbers while the Shore D scale is used for 'harder' ones. The shore A Hardness is the relative hardness of elastic materials such as rubber or soft plastics can be determined with an instrument called a Shore A durometer. If the indenter completely penetrates the sample, a reading of 0 is obtained, and if no penetration occurs, a reading of 100 results. The reading is dimensionless.

The Shore hardness is measured with an apparatus known as a Durometer and consequently is also known as 'Durometer hardness'. The hardness value is determined by the penetration of the Durometer indenter foot into the sample. Because of the resilience of rubbers and plastics, the hardness reading my change over time - so the indentation time is sometimes reported along with the hardness number. The ASTM test number is ASTM D2240 while the analogous ISO test method is ISO 868. The results obtained from this test are a useful measure of relative resistance to indentation of various grades of polymers. However, the Shore Durometer hardness test does not serve well as a predictor of other properties such as strength or resistance to scratches, abrasion, or wear, and should not be used alone for product design specifications.
http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/images/image010.gif
Figure 5. Shore A vs. Shore D http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/images/image011.gif
Figure 6. Shore D vs. Rockwell M [17] (http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/Hardness_ad_.htm#rf16)

Flats Man
02-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Mark,
Just think what you could come up with on Tequila Shots!

Mark #2
02-01-2005, 01:26 PM
Not sure what you mean, but I am a nerd by trade. This kind of thing interests me, especially when my KB has been off a few times, once for this.

Mark

dboat
02-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry, but for me this is TMI...
Dana

Green maybe the hardest too however, FYI below. Hard to tell as they report green in D and rest in A.

3.5. Shore

The shore scleroscope measures hardness in terms of the elasticity of the material. A diamond-tipped hammer in a graduated glass tube is allowed to fall from a known height on the specimen to be tested, and the hardness number depends on the height to which the hammer rebounds; the harder the material, the higher the rebound [15] (http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/Hardness_ad_.htm#rf14) is a measure of the resistance of material to indentation by 3 spring-loaded indenter. The higher the number, the greater the resistance.

The hardness testing of plastics is most commonly measured by the Shore (Durometer) test or Rockwell hardness test. Both methods measure the resistance of the plastic toward indentation. Both scales provide an empirical hardness value that doesn't correlate to other properties or fundamental characteristics. Shore Hardness, using either the Shore A or Shore D scale, is the preferred method for rubbers/elastomers and is also commonly used for 'softer' plastics such as polyolefins, fluoropolymers, and vinyls. The Shore A scale is used for 'softer' rubbers while the Shore D scale is used for 'harder' ones. The shore A Hardness is the relative hardness of elastic materials such as rubber or soft plastics can be determined with an instrument called a Shore A durometer. If the indenter completely penetrates the sample, a reading of 0 is obtained, and if no penetration occurs, a reading of 100 results. The reading is dimensionless.

The Shore hardness is measured with an apparatus known as a Durometer and consequently is also known as 'Durometer hardness'. The hardness value is determined by the penetration of the Durometer indenter foot into the sample. Because of the resilience of rubbers and plastics, the hardness reading my change over time - so the indentation time is sometimes reported along with the hardness number. The ASTM test number is ASTM D2240 while the analogous ISO test method is ISO 868. The results obtained from this test are a useful measure of relative resistance to indentation of various grades of polymers. However, the Shore Durometer hardness test does not serve well as a predictor of other properties such as strength or resistance to scratches, abrasion, or wear, and should not be used alone for product design specifications.
http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/images/image010.gif
Figure 5. Shore A vs. Shore D http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/images/image011.gif
Figure 6. Shore D vs. Rockwell M [17] (http://www.calce.umd.edu/general/Facilities/Hardness_ad_.htm#rf16)

Flats Man
02-01-2005, 08:22 PM
Hey Mark, i was just yanking your chain! lol If my Kenne Bell starts making too much noise, you will be the first Guy that I call up!

SILVER2000SVT
02-01-2005, 09:19 PM
The sad part of knowing this stuff is the fact that we use it on a regular basis.

And people wonder why engineers act so weird...

Mark #2
02-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey Mark, i was just yanking your chain! lol If my Kenne Bell starts making too much noise, you will be the first Guy that I call up!

Cool, I think that you for sure and maybe one of your brothers are the only people I know that challange my anal trends, and we all know that I can't drink.;)