PDA

View Full Version : Heres one for the electrically inclined

dboat
01-31-2005, 09:24 PM
We have been pretty cold here over the last couple of weeks. Not too unusual for Erie but cold by Dallas standards. The highest high has been about 32 with the lowest low about 8 below zero.
My garage is insulated but not heated. I will typically get in my Acura (the winter beater while the L rests) and when starting the car the outside temp will read in the 20's.
I tried to use the electrical plugs in the garage and they just dont seem to work. They worked earlier in the year, and some items will work, the battery tender for the L is one of them.
I had put a small space heater in the garage and turned it on but it quit working until I took it inside, then it worked again. The garage door openers work and so do the 8 foot fluorescents, but they are the kind that will work in the cold. The refrigerator works but it doesnt have to work too hard. :evil
Anyway, does anyone know if the cold will affect the plugs that way?
I went to Lowes and bought a heater for the garage (30k btu's) and now just need to have a plumber hook up the gas line.
Thanks for your help.
Dana

L1nt2B
01-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you may have triped a GFI

dboat
01-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I will check that but I did check all the breakers and they were fine.
Thanks

L1nt2B
01-31-2005, 10:13 PM
I will check that but I did check all the breakers and they were fine.
Thanks
a GFI would be on the first outlet on the circuit in question

99WhiteBeast
02-01-2005, 01:57 AM
our resident electrican (Alpine) should chime in here:cool:

Alpine
02-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Tim is right, it is more than likely your GFI. Check the garage, bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room for a tripped GFI.

dboat
02-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I checked them all and everything is aok... since its a new home I am calling the builder to get the electrician out here to get it fixed.. this one is a real puzzle..
Thanks
Dana

Mark #2
02-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Go to Home depot and get a plug tester, plug in and see what it tells you, cheaper than an electrician.

dboat
02-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok, I have learned a lesson.. I let the wife check the plugs and Low and Behold, there was a gfci on the other wall and it was popped... fixed.. now, I wonder what made it trip?
Dana

L8 APEX
02-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Moisture, ice humidity etc.. They are very sensitive to current flow.