PDA

View Full Version : Any Problems With 6lb. Pulley??

KCFDsvtF150
08-28-2002, 12:18 PM
I just ordered a 6Lb. pulley from Johnny Lightning.

I was wondering if that was too much boost for everyday driving.

I really don't know much about my truck yet, I though maybe you all could help.

KCFDsvtF150
08-28-2002, 12:19 PM
Also ordered Air Induction System, and Diablo Chip.

How how much more power should all this give me???

Lil Nicky88
08-28-2002, 03:08 PM
I read somewhere that with the same mods you are getting, a 01 L dynoed at around 430 rwhp.

blueoval01
08-28-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by KCFDsvtF150
I just ordered a 6Lb. pulley from Johnny Lightning.

I was wondering if that was too much boost for everyday driving..........

If you can keep your foot out of it, a 6# is OK.
Personally I would run a stock pully (or any good 2# or 4#) for daily driving and reserve the 6# for the track.

I'm not one that can speak from experience, but I read a lot and remember. I suspect that a 6# pully will effect your gas mileage as well. Might be a factor if your putting 40 or so miles on your L going to work and back.

:)

Crawford
08-28-2002, 05:51 PM
I just got the 6# myself with the Denso IT24s. I have not had a chance to put a foot in it yet since I am waiting for JDM to come down at the end of September to give my truck the proper tune.

MadNess
08-28-2002, 06:53 PM
here is my current setup;

PSP 6lb lower
denso IT24's
PSP 4way chip (street 6lb, street 2lb, roadrace 2lb, dragrace 6lb)
SVO TB
PSP fastair (with filter kit)
PSP driveshaft loop
cobra water pump
custom electric fan
factory tech valvebody
4x4tranny pan
lotek 2 pot guage pod
ford racing (autometer) boost and water temp guage
lakewoods

Ive only done a few 1/8th mile passes, the best was an 8.3 spinning like mad most of the track, this was in 100degree texas heat... I plan to get to the 1/4 soon, just no time.

I drive the truck everday, its my primary mode of transportation. I run on the street 6lb mode with my 6lb pulley on 93 pump gas, I have NO complaints... my truck does not miss, or act any different than the day it was stock... this is on an 01 with 11,000 miles on the clock. I have had NO complaints on the 6lber... and its for sure an "awoken" beast :) Not that I would condone street racing, many a camero and a few vettes have meet their doom at the hands of my farm truck :tu:

L8 APEX
08-28-2002, 07:51 PM
6# is okay for drag racing. I do enough damage with a 2# road racing. The head bolts are soft on these trucks and high boost strecthces them and oil starts leaking out of the gaskets. Mine get replaced every 10K. Also 6's lose more power on consecuitve runs than smaller pulleys, the torwue is harder on the stock trans setup, trans line clearance needs attention. Must have plugs and check that Diablo tune with a A/F dyno I would prefer a sub 12:1 a/f! Maybe run a 6 when the air gets cooler so you don't strain the motor so much with 300 degree discharge air temps.

KCFDsvtF150
08-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Called Johnny Lightning back and told them to send me the 5lb. instead

KCFDsvtF150
08-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Thank you-Domenic:beer:

BigBob
09-03-2002, 09:07 PM
No slam intended, but most local blown L's (as in exploded) had Diablo chips with their 5 & 6 lb pulleys, same as seen on other boards. Local problems were 2001 and up L's. The 5# I am running came off one of the victums. I have 15K+ miles on the 5# with another brand of chip without a problem or detonation on street side of chip. Use higher octane for track side. Censure (sp) this if you need, just wanted to pass on a word of caution. Blown engines have been expensive for many. The worse case here even blistered the plastic center cap on the LEFT (Driver's side) rear wheel (after generally smoking up exterior of cab and bed) due to the engine fire when rods left the block! This is how I came across a used pulley. A second similar story secured a "used and ventilated" spare/core motor for another friend who plans to replace the broken pieces. Two 2001's locally that I know of.

Sixpipes
09-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Big Bob knows where of he speaks. Most problems are with the 01/02 models. I think it is a good idea to get the A/F checked on any Lightning with 4+ pounds of boost and a performance chip. :cool:

BigBob
09-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Also "understand" part of the problem is that 01 & 02 will add more timing at very high boost/MAF levels is why the problem is limited to the newer models. This is heresay, but would explain the problem for some programs if they have not addressed the issue.

andy_cain
09-04-2002, 01:05 PM
BigBob:
Gotta say thanks for stepping up and confirming what I felt to be the case.
At Terrys recomendation, I have limited my "99" L to just a 4#.
I have noticed on other forums (no names mentioned) that the tendacy seems to be on 5+ # pulles (top/bottom combined) and on chips with AFR #'s running in excess of 12 and some upwards, and largely limited to newer "01" "02" models.
I am certain that this will cause several flam posts to follow, but must say I myself subscribe to the same view that "99" and "00" with 4# or less seem to be for the most part safe for daily drivers.:tu:

BigBob
09-04-2002, 09:19 PM
You are welcome. There are a good many of us in this area running 4+ lbs daily, but everything needs to be right and confirmed as such. Some of us have looked at higher AFR at track, but as stated, year model and overall timing are critical.

andy_cain
09-04-2002, 09:23 PM
With my 4# and current mods, mine consistantly runs 11.5 to 11.7 AFR#'s on the dyno with SAL's programed chip in it.
For the most part, anytime I make a change to the L, she gets redyno'd for the purpose of checking the AFR #'s (ok, HP too):twitch:

RedRooster
09-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Interesting observations.....I speak as one that drives my truck daily with a 6# pulley and a 2600 converter. I have about 12K on the combo and have even towed several times on the street side without issue.

The obvious issue in terms of reliability would be the state of tune and not necessarily the boost level. You could easily grenade an engine on a stock pulley if the tables are off. Don't be afraid of the big pulleys...but, likewise, don't expect the same gains jumping from a 2 to a 6 that you saw in jumping from stock to a 4. Best example of the law of diminishing returns I can think of....a 6# pulley is not well suited for max performance in hotter weather, end of story.