PDA

View Full Version : another L broken into

sonicbluetommy
02-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Looks like I am the latest on the broken into list.

Sitting at Chipotle eating, not 40ft from my truck, they jimmy the lock with a screwdriver. Jacked up the key lock and the surround where they bent the screwdriver down but luckily did not get into the door panel itself.

They get in the center console and take my wallet, and grab my cell phone and a blockbuster movie out of the seat.

Here is the f-up part..............there is cash ($65) in the dash cup holder, cd's in the console and door pockets, my pullout ashtray cup is full of change, there is a tool bag full of tools behind the seat........they take none of this stuff.

Guess if you breakin into cars your not the brightest person to start with and this only proves it.

I have 2 questions:
1)Are our trucks that f-in easy to break into?
2)Why didn't my alarm go off?

It looks like they took a screwdriver and punched in and up on the key area popping the lock up. I am guessing it took them about a second! We live in the technologically advanced 21st century and Ford can't put a decent alarm on a $34,000 truck.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13694&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

L8 APEX
02-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah most all domestic vehicles are easy pickins. The Ford item is more keyless entry than anti theft. It only goes off when the ignition is rotated without PATS chip communication I think. I liked the Corvette system as it would alarm if a door was opened without a key. It would also kill power to the truck release for when the top was off or down. Send me a pic of the damage I may build a blocking plate for the L's.

03LightningRocks
02-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Wow!!!!!!!! This sh!t is getting out of hand:mad: . It seems like every week a new victim here. I usually try to park where I can watch the Lightning from inside the resteraunt. I have even requested seats where I can look out the window at my Lightning.

Can anyone explain to me how nobody ever sees this sh!t happening???? If I where walking through a parking lot and saw a person jacking someones car or truck, I would at the least call a cop and watch the perp. until they arrived.

What really sucks is it seems like the a-holes cause more damage expense than what they usually steal.

Rant is off...but this is getting real fricking rediculous.:mad:

Sorry about your truck Tommy.

Rocks

LonghornLightning
02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I always sit where I can see my truck too. The alarm on my keychain will let me know when there's vibration (someone pounding on it) or door open so best case i'll go outside to find my window broken and chase someone away, hardly will they be able to get away with it. sorry for your luck.

my2002lightning
02-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Sorry to hear your bad luck, Tommy! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif Damned thieves! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bash.gif

When my brand-new '00 F-150 Ext-Cab 5.4 was stolen, they jimmied the door-handle, too, got in and took it - found a month later in north Tulsa. Evidently, it's a fairly easy was to gain entry. They took all my change in the console/cup-holder, even my owner's manuals, and put bogus paper plates on my truck. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bash.gif

When they called me late on a Sat. night to get it in the impound yard, I opened up the door to the thrashed remains of my truck, the most ungodly/wretched dope-smoking smell just hit me. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek2.gif There were obscure rap CDs in the back along with a Halloween hooded-skeleton mask and Wendy's trash all around - they liked beef-jerky, too evidently. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif Oh, they left their flat-head screw driver in the driver's side door panel, which was obviously how they got in, by looking at the door-handle.

They put 900+ miles on the truck with a ton of engine/trans. oil gone. The clear-coat and under-side was scratched all to hell from off-roading.

Once I was over it and out of that State Farm Insurance mess, I got a another '00 Ext-Cab Lariat (5.4) and took it immediately to get a Clifford IG-9000 alarm put on it. Worked great, I thought!

Until the next week or so and I noticed foot-prints in the bed, hand-prints on the outside of my sliding rear glass and slim-jim scratches in my door glass.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif

Just curious, what brand/model of alarm? I'd consider putting another alarm on my truck, but I'm hesitant. Bottom line, I'm thinking if a thief wants it, they're going to try to take it.

Also, did Dallas PD finger-print your L? Tulsa PD didn't mine b/c they said "That's not the way we conduct investigations." http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Good luck and sorry to hear.

TP Derrick D
02-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Looks like I am the latest on the broken into list.

Sitting at Chipotle eating, not 40ft from my truck, they jimmy the lock with a screwdriver. Jacked up the key lock and the surround where they bent the screwdriver down but luckily did not get into the door panel itself.

They get in the center console and take my wallet, and grab my cell phone and a blockbuster movie out of the seat.

Here is the f-up part..............there is cash ($65) in the dash cup holder, cd's in the console and door pockets, my pullout ashtray cup is full of change, there is a tool bag full of tools behind the seat........they take none of this stuff.

Guess if you breakin into cars your not the brightest person to start with and this only proves it.

I have 2 questions:
1)Are our trucks that f-in easy to break into?
2)Why didn't my alarm go off?

Sorry to hear about your truck.
By jimmy the lock, you mean the door lock or the bracket around it.?
When mine got hit last year the bracket around the door handle was pried up with a flat tip screwdriver probably. Luckily I recieved very minor damage that only I can tell. I'm still :mad: because I find myself going to the windows late at night looking out at my L ,like checking in on a baby in a crib.

98Cobra
02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
This is crazy. I am so nervous about my truck at times too. Not going the alarm route at this point though - I think it will just make me more paranoid. Like Ronald said, if they want it, they'll take it.

PoorSvtman
02-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Terry, Building a plate for the door wont stop a theif. I mean hell all you need is a screw driver to pop the rear window/slider open.

L8 APEX
02-15-2005, 12:08 AM
It is a pain in the arse to live around all these theiving bastards. I try to make short trips in the store nad look out as best I can. I had my bike in the back of the truck yeterday and parked in front of a strip mall. I noticed some Hondurans pulled up beside my truck in a U haul box truck. One of them went into a Subway I could see them loading my bike into their U Haul and taking off. Fortunately they were just there for food and everyone lived another day. I like the 2 way paging alarms like these. They can reach inside buildings and homes beyond the range of the siren. They even have a silent mode and auto start options.

http://www.directed.com/security/hornet/images/screen1.gif (http://www.directed.com/security/hornet/horn_2way.asp)

L8 APEX
02-15-2005, 12:12 AM
Terry, Building a plate for the door wont stop a theif. I mean hell all you need is a screw driver to pop the rear window/slider open.
It is just another deturrent, along with the block of wood in the slider, blinking light on the dash, glass breakage sensor etc.. Each deturrent used is another step towards keeping your stuff.

BC Lightning
02-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I like the 2 way paging alarms like these. They can reach inside buildings and homes beyond the range of the siren. They even have a silent mode and auto start options.

http://www.directed.com/security/hornet/images/screen1.gif (http://www.directed.com/security/hornet/horn_2way.asp)

What brand alarm is it? I've been wanting one with remote start, but on my 02 L I had an Alpine Alarm that really didnt do a great job. Plus the installer took the chip out of my key and taped it inside the steering column to bypass the Ford security system:flaming: . good to know that all it could have taken was a screw driver to start my truck.

LonghornLightning
02-15-2005, 12:40 AM
I have a clifford that is what terry is talking about...it's kinda obnoxious b/c my truck is parked in a parking garage so everytime someone with exhaust goes by it sets off the vibration sensor. Haven't had to catch anyone in the act yet, but it feels safer this way.

Silver_2000
02-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Every little bit helps ....

David N had plates installed behind his door handles and Im surprised no one has come up with a easy cheap slider bar. There has to be some prefab extruded plastic or metal that will work - just cut it to length, just need to find it.

All you can do is try to convince the thief to go to the next truck.

Dont leave ANYTHING in plain site. Take reasonable precautions. They like anything electronic, cell phones, aftermarket radios, radar detectors, digital cameras, electric razors.

Doug

L8 APEX
02-15-2005, 01:10 AM
What brand alarm is it? I've been wanting one with remote start, but on my 02 L I had an Alpine Alarm that really didnt do a great job. Plus the installer took the chip out of my key and taped it inside the steering column to bypass the Ford security system:flaming: . good to know that all it could have taken was a screw driver to start my truck.
Klick the pic and follow the link jackass:D DEI makes 90% of the alarms out there. Alarms are only as good or bad as the isntaller!!!! I only let one person isntall my alarm systems. I also tell him to turn the shock down and have ZERO false alarms. I told him that when it goes off there better be a real threat. I hate those sensitive alrams always chirping and what not at cats and thunder:bs . I throw 2x4's in the back of mine without a peep, but open a door or break a window:eek2: . The beast will leave his mark upon you:evil

skalywags
02-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your truck! I got my parts and hopefully will get it fixed real soon. They jammed a screw driver in both doors and srewed up the handles. But didn't get in. i guess that means I was lucky probaly to the tune of $400 expense! The painted door handles llok to match pretty gppd, holding the up to the truck. I got them from Fordpartsonlie.com. Or it looks on teh receipt to be Bob Utter Ford in Sherman. 866-941-FORD. BTW, I have Sonic Blue as well.

Silver_2000
02-15-2005, 01:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your truck! I got my parts and hopefully will get it fixed real soon. They jammed a screw driver in both doors and srewed up the handles. But didn't get in. i guess that means I was lucky probaly to the tune of $400 expense! The painted door handles llok to match pretty gppd, holding the up to the truck. I got them from Fordpartsonlie.com. Or it looks on teh receipt to be Bob Utter Ford in Sherman. 866-941-FORD. BTW, I have Sonic Blue as well.

400 for handles and locks ?

Doug

Lyfisin
02-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your truck Tommy. That really blows. Makes me think twice about not having an alarm. I think I'd rather have it and hope it makes a difference then potentially let my truck get ripped of than have an experience like Ronalds.

I've had a car stolen before, but they got it back the next day and caught the guys who were driving it.

I can't stand thieves. :mad:

sonicbluetommy
02-16-2005, 12:06 AM
pic added

skalywags
02-16-2005, 12:15 AM
400 for handles and locks ?

Doug
no looks like about $400 by the time i get everything back to normal. that's parts, labor, etc... It was about $150 for parts. So maybe i will get by for $300 - 350. I wanted to take it to terry, But not sur emy schedule will afford me the luxury of that.

Silver_2000
02-16-2005, 12:24 AM
no looks like about $400 by the time i get everything back to normal. that's parts, labor, etc... It was about $150 for parts. So maybe i will get by for $300 - 350. I wanted to take it to terry, But not sur emy schedule will afford me the luxury of that.

Whats the labor for ?

Installing handles and locks is EASY WORK - Get forpartsonline to ship you locks already keyed to your keys.

If you want I can walk you through the install ....

There is a how to on my site SVTLightnings.com - look for the kepypad mod - its the same steps to taking the handles off and the door skin ..

Doug

ElScotO
02-16-2005, 02:03 AM
You guys should just shave your door handles, thatll show those bastards to try to steal stuff,

Thats what I did with my truck.

Scott

wesman
02-16-2005, 02:07 AM
What happens if your battery goes dead ? Post some pics, I wanna see.

--wes

You guys should just shave your door handles, thatll show those bastards to try to steal stuff,

Thats what I did with my truck.

Scott