PDA

View Full Version : Brake Bleed Procedure

rickgig
02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I think everyone pretty much knows how to bleed the brakes when they change rotors or replace pads... no biggie. But what about replacing the fluid completely like in old and funky fluid?

Before ABS no brainer... just about the same procedure... or is it?

I just came back from LA trying to sell these guys and decided to check out the FAQ board... not bad info. I don't think I would have thought about this.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bleeding_abs_122701.htm

Anyone got experience they can share pertaining to our trucks? I need to flush it and I thought this was good info!

Silver_2000
02-18-2005, 01:07 PM
last time I did it I borrowed a vacumm bleeder and used it to suck the dirty fluid from the reservoir then filled it with new fluid and did the brake job then when bleeding the brake lines I was bleeding with fresh fluid and at the end once doe hooled the vacuum to the pass rear line and sucked about 4-8 oz of fluid through to be sure as much of the system as possible was clean

rickgig
02-18-2005, 01:12 PM
According to the article... you still let old stuff in the antilock valve. So we have to flush the fluid... cycle the antilock either by driving it or by using a special tool... then flush again...

Silver_2000
02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Didnt read the article - but think of it this way

the reservoir turns dark like coffee when the fluid gets old right ?
Well all the bad stuff hapens to the fluid at the caliper - so if ALL the fluid is dark then "bad stuff" has already gone through the ABS system

Using my method you are pulling clean fluid through the system - over and over

3 of us did your lightnings that way and all had much improved pedal and perfect ABS afterwards

Pictures here
http://www.svtlightnings.com/talon/brakes/brakes.htm

Doug

Silver_2000
02-18-2005, 03:09 PM
After reading the article did you call the dealer to see if the lightnings ABS is even affected by the "internal reservoirs "- If our ABS doesnt have the reservoir then there are no worries

If it is I have an NGS - Which is a ford " Dealer service tool (it usually looks like a Nintendo GameBoy)" - That Im betting is what they use...

rickgig
02-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Okay... just spoke to my brother who's a Ford service manager... he says the proper procedure to flush the system (or bleed it) is a tool that attaches to the ABS unit to bleed from there.

I argued the point since that makes no sense to me cause that ignores the brake lines from the ABS unit to the wheels.

So it was a brother-to-brother disagreement. I told him I've bled the air our every time I've done my brakes and I have done that 4 times now.

He did say that ABS unit does not store fluid, which is what I wanted in the first place.
Of course that information is suspect due to his comment about bleeding at the ABS unit...

Tex Arcana
02-21-2005, 12:04 PM
When I had the dealer flush mine, the first time they used a power bleeder, which introduced air (thanks to turbulence--they tend to draw it thru too fast), and the air tends to get trapped in the antilock valves and the calipers. The solution is to either use check valves on the bleeder valves, or to use a hand-pump and cycle the fluid slowly. I would be most interested to see if the antilock system (especially the booster pump) has a reservior or an accumulator that should be flushed as well.

DWSmooth
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I have vacuum bleeder that connects to my air compressor and have used it on 3 different occasions to bleed the brakes in the L. The only different thing I do now with ABS is pump the brake pedal 30-40 times before beginning. Not exactly sure what that does, but it was in the instructions to the fluid evacuator and seems to work very well.

Tried doing a friend’s Expo without pumping the pedal and the flow of fluid was very slow. Then stopped everything and pumped the pedal 30 times (engine off of coarse) and the flow of fluid was much improved.

Pays to read them directions some times…….

DAVID!

Tex Arcana
02-26-2005, 12:27 PM
bump for info.. anyone find out if the antilock has an accumulator on it?