PDA

View Full Version : Military active/reserves yeah or nay?

L8 APEX
02-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I know there are a lot of you who have served in various branches. What are a few opinions. Does anyone stay in for 20 years and retire at 42 to enjoy a leisure career? There are a lot of MOS's to choose from. Some choose technology so they can rake it up in the private sector. I was thinking of a more combat related MOS:D . Are there any big tricks or things to request before you sign? I figure I am 28 with no family commitments, or worries why not kick some terrorist arse for a few yearsknana .
What about the reserves they seem to have fun on the weekends?

TP Derrick D
02-23-2005, 12:03 AM
So thats why you were asking me today. Make sure you understand that you are your own boss right now @ 28. In the military you may have an 18 year old as your boss because he or she out rank you. Its not for everyone and certainly gets harder as you get older. 28 is pretty old to be going to basic/boot camp when most go in @ 17-18-19 or so. I took basic in 1981 I was 21 and I was old so to speak. But I was more mature than some of those "drill sarge can't break me " knuckleheads. Yeah right!!they did more pushups and mountain climbers than they could count. What branch you considering?

L8 APEX
02-23-2005, 12:11 AM
I don't want Marines they're not to smart:D . My family has all been Navy aviation and explosives ordinance disposal. I was thinking maybe Army since they are local for reserve training. They have serveral combat MOS's that include several of my favorite things in life.
Damn, it looks like I may be too old for some things already! To be a pilot you must go before the Warrant Officer boards before your 29th birthday:hammer: .

98Cobra
02-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Hmm. Do you meet the height requirement? J/k Terry. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I have a cousin who is active duty Marines. Those guys are the first on the scene anywhere it seems.

I also have a friend who is an officer in the Army MP. He goes to Iraq in March I think. He seems to enjoy it. Boy did basic training change him - I barely recognized him 8 months later!

my2002lightning
02-23-2005, 01:44 AM
The only long-timers/retirees I know of that were in the military that crossed over into the private-sector were ex IT bosses of mine back in college. In hearing them speak, they were sorta' struggling financially sending a kid to college with a mortgage/wife. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

One of my bosses (ex door-gunner on a Huey in 'Nam) was telling us about cruising back to base from a hairy-mission with branches/leaves hung up in the landing skids from some of their nap-of-the-earth sorties on the river deltas in 'Nam. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/dancing_banana.gif I shouldn't repeat their stories from strip-clubs in Germany. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif Those fellers were some cowboys and had those "crazy-eyes". http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Probably the only person I know of that might do well financially from being a lifer in the military would be one of my groomsmen's brothers. He's a West-Point grad. and last I heard years ago, he was a M1A1 tank commander in Germany - I'm sure he's moved up since then. He's back at Ft. Hood and somewhere in KS, last I heard recently. I'm sure he's in his mid-40s.

Dad was a grunt out of HS in the Navy/San Diego as a young man for a few years and said they would reprimand you big-time for even getting a sun-burn b/c you're USN property and you're "damaging" it.

Another groomsmen is being shipped out next month to support Operation Iraqi Freedom. He's leaving a job and his two little girls to maybe go to Europe, Iraq or Afghanistan even - the Navy/Marines won't tell him. He's scored Expert with the M-16, too. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Same college friend grew up with a Army recruit I became friends with, too. He was in the first 91'/92' Iraqi conflict. One of his duties was night sentry with "Cyclops" night vision goggles and loading up 6x6s with Iraqi battlefield "parts" heaped up high and on the hood. Aaron told me personally that orders were to get as many/much out as possible. So they even stacked bodies/parts on the hood of their 6x6s to bull-dozed burial pits in the Iraqi desert. He said plenty worked their way off the hood and under tread at speed.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek2.gif

Aaron said his CO and some of the others would wake up in the middle of the night in the barracks screaming "get 'em off me!" etc. essentially. It's not an easy life, evidently.

Bottom line, the military will OWN you and ship you wherever the next global hot-spot maybe. That's the way it is.

Oh, btw, Hathcock was a "dumb" Marine? http://www.marinescoutsniper.com/sniper%20pages/Carlos.html

Pretty good for a poor hill-womp from Arkansas.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

You know you want to go to Sniper school. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/nana.gif

tliss
02-23-2005, 07:05 AM
I came close to going Army twice in my life...both times I was pretty much set to be an officer...I had no interest going enlisted. First time was my junior year in high school. My buddies and I were considering Warrant Officer flight school to fly Apache helicopters. I made it through the testing phases and was being recruited hard, but elected to bail out because I didn't want Uncle Sam controlling my life. Second time was my Freshman year in college. An opportunity came up to go ROTC and get a full college scholarship and graduate from school as a Second Leiutenant (sp?). I went through the exams and physicals (my God do they like to poke and prod you..not mention inventory every mark, tatoo and mole on you!), but did not get the scholarship because of my screwed up shoulders (even though all physical exams were passed with flying colors). They still wanted me to sign up, I said without the $$ for school there was no deal.

My opinion on this...keep in mind your life is not your own in the military. You go where they tell you to go and when to go. It is very honorable to be in the military and I respect each and every one of them for being there and doing that, but it just was not my calling.

Tom

Nuhklz
02-23-2005, 08:01 AM
It's true that the military owns you and that was the most difficult thing for me to accept. It felt like I sold my soul. Maybe that's why I made E-4 three times http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif.

I have a couple college degrees and an honorable discharge. The most meaningful and difficult thing for me to achieve was the honorable discharge. What an education that was.

I think you should check out the Air Force. It's known as the easiest of the branches and requires the most intelligence. The Air Force does cool stuff and I'd rather be blowing things up from a distance using technology than be on the front line.

Joining the service is just like any other contract. Get you job choice and station in writing.

Lyfisin
02-23-2005, 08:05 AM
I couldn't agree with Tom and Ronald more about how the military owns you. It didn't work for me. I went in for the schooling and for me, it paid off.

I did 8 years in the (not too smart) Marines, but the 2nd tour was mainly for the $$ bonus of staying in. I could have gotten another bonus after 8, but I just worked for too many jerks and idiots and there aren't many options to remove yourself from them, so I got out. My 2nd tour was actually at a Reserve training facility, however, I got out way back in 88 so I don't really have any up to date info on what the Reserves is all about.

As far as retiring at 42 to a leisurely career, I'm not sure that's realistic. You only get a % of your pay, and believe me, those people are grossly underpaid for the job they do. From a money perspective, I feel like I'm way ahead taking the training I got (electronics) and seeking the civilian career.

I don't recall any tricks or helpful things to know. When I went in, the testing they gave you helped you determine what it was you could or would do when you got out of basic training. The higher your score, the more your choices.

SpeedyBolt
02-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I've really been considering going into the reserves myself! I really want to be a cop in the civilian world and figure the only way to achieve that will be through the military! The MOS I want is Criminal Investigative Special Agent!
That sounds very cool!

Nuhklz
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
I've really been considering going into the reserves myself! I really want to be a cop in the civilian world and figure the only way to achieve that will be through the military! The MOS I want is Criminal Investigative Special Agent!
That sounds very cool!

Might sound cool but CID was the enemy to us regular troops.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

SpeedyBolt
02-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Might sound cool but CID was the enemy to us regular troops.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yeah, that's what I've heard. My Brother-in-law is in Afganistan right now and I was talking to him the other night about this. He said that CID is highering regular enlisted to be spys(undercover) on thier own people and pay them rediculous amounts of money to do so.(basically snitches on the inside to tell on everybody) He told me that they had one in thier unit but he got transfered after he got someone in trouble!

ghostt
02-23-2005, 09:19 PM
my dad did 36yrs active and , i did 10 yrs active 10 yrs inactive.

L8 APEX
02-23-2005, 10:48 PM
my dad did 36yrs active and , i did 10 yrs active 10 yrs inactive.
And what is the genreal consensus?
SpeedyBolt, sounds like asking to get fragged IMO, old Nam stories from pops. I will schedule to take the AsVAB test thingy and see what I am elgible for. I may try for Warrant Officer and get in the heli flight program. Recruiters are worse than car salesmen:hammer: .

True Blue Aggie
02-23-2005, 11:16 PM
What will the world come to when Terry is not around to sell and install L parts??
We'll all be banished to steal parts off of Rocks' ride.....or call JDM....:vomit:

L8 APEX
02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
What will the world come to when Terry is not around to sell and install L parts??
We'll all be banished to steal parts off of Rocks' ride.....or call JDM....:vomit:
I have been training replacements. I won't leave yall hangin:tu:

TP Derrick D
02-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Terry,If you really are serious and you like wrenching. Maybe aircraft technichan ??? I really believe its an honor to serve your country but I also would want you to know what a person thats use to being their own boss at 28-29 years old would be giving up. Not only that, you're in the military 24 hours a day. You may get off duty but still subject to call up anytime. 0400 wake ups,out in all weather because it don't rain /snow in the military it rain /snow on the military. Saluting the flag at the first note of revelie,PT and pi$$ tests,ruck sacks,& duffle bags,inspections & ,O-P-E-N R-A-N-K-S,
M-A-R-C-H, at close intervals,D-R-E-S-S R-I-G-H-T D-R-E-S-S !! ,motor pools & sandbags,foxholes & messhalls.....man I had a flash back for a moment there still miss it some times. Would have retired already.

SILVER2000SVT
02-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Be careful...I have a buddy that chose being a mechanic in his military career. They trained him and everything for it. He spent the next four years behind a desk filing papers. As for getting something in writing...It woudn't matter. Once you are in, you are property of the US Government and you have no rights to any written contract and they can do with you as they please and you have no recourse.

tliss
02-24-2005, 06:57 AM
... Recruiters are worse than car salesmen:hammer: .

That is for sure. Get the most you can out of them...when I was being recruited out of high school my recruiter used to take me and my buddies to the nudie bar for some "recruiting atmoshpere". If they want you bad enough they will do some interesting stuff.

Tom

L8 APEX
02-25-2005, 01:05 AM
I went to Circuit City and purchased the Rambo box set, Blackhawk Down, and Platoon. They should get me in the mood for warhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/waffen/violent-smiley-090.gif

StormShadow
02-25-2005, 01:49 AM
I went to Circuit City and purchased the Rambo box set, Blackhawk Down, and Platoon. They should get me in the mood for warhttp://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/waffen/violent-smiley-090.gif

You forgot Full Metal Jacket and Hamburger Hill!

my2002lightning
02-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Yes, and don't forget the original "Sniper" with Tom Berenger and the box-set of "Band of Brothers".

BOB is a huge HBO mini-series, but well worth it! All about the storming of Normandy/France/Germany in WWII. Set aside a full weekend to watch it all.

You forgot Full Metal Jacket and Hamburger Hill!

L8 APEX
02-25-2005, 10:31 AM
I already had those:tu:

Nuhklz
02-25-2005, 10:33 AM
I already had those:tu:

Check out Boys in Company C. Very realistic and reminded me of my time.

What about The DI with Jack Webb?

wesman
02-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I joined the military after initially going to college on a scholarship for football, got hurt in some extra curicular activities and never played ball again. I could have stayed in school but opted to go to the military instead. I was the type that was looking at the military in a "what can they do for me" way. I took the ASVAB and scored high enough that I could literally have any job that the Army offered. I chose telecommunications because I thought it was a good career move and it would be going somewhere in the future.

They offer all sorts of jobs and incentives, bonuses etc. I decided to look at the big picture and took the job that I knew would lead somewhere after the military. I was in for four years, made E-5 (SGT) on my 36th month, the quickst allowed by the Army outside of direct promotion during wartime operations. I went to leadership school to perpare for my next promotion to E-6(SSG) ,all before my initial 4 years was done. I opted not to re-enlist even though I knew I would have gotten my E-6 on the day I was time eligible. Keep in mind, I was halfway up the enlisted chain and I was only making $1544 a month before taxes.

All of the things that everyone has said about the military owning you is true. You are grossly underpaid, underappreciated and frankly treated poorly at times. That being said I wouldn't change it if I could. I had a lot of good times, got to see a lot of cool places and have done some things that would be unthinkable or attainable in civilian life. They offer great training, great comraderie and unheard of opportunities for education etc if you choose to accept and pursue them. I did and it paid off pretty well when i decided to get out after my first initial term.

I still liked the military and wanted a small piece of the military life when i got out. I had a full time job in telecommunications (a lower level job working in the NOC for the company I am still employed by, which i now manage) but I opted to serve my final 4 years of my aggreement in active Ntl Guard instead of selective (inactive) reserve. I must say I hated it. The unit I was in was a rag tag bunch of good ole boys that I would not want to have by my side in wartime. Over time I got out of the gaurd and couldn't be happier about it. I'm sure there are some good units out there, but the one I was in had no clue....no structure, no discipline and really no clue about the job that they had (a subset of the same telecommunications job I had in the real Army). Once you're in the real army and understand and life that way of life, the reserves or gaurd are hard to adjust to, I couldn't and wouldn't do it. It might be different if it's all you know and have never been in a real unit, but from active to reserve or gaurd sucked for me.

To sum it all up, the military offers a lot of opportunities, which you have to take advantage of when they're offered. There are those that make a life of it, but for me it wasn't worth it. The lure of the life I could have outside of the military was too great during the telecom boom of the late 90's. Make sure if you do decide to go, pick a job that you'll be happy doing and pick somehthing that there is some future in. Also, like they said, get anything offered in writing, trust me when i say it does matter.

If you need any specific questions answered or anything let me know.

wesman
02-25-2005, 03:47 PM
Holy damn that was long

L8 APEX
02-25-2005, 03:51 PM
:bows Damn, thanks for the effort on the reply. You get a star!

Nuhklz
02-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Holy damn that was long

Yes but very well put!

Avalanche
02-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Terry, I do not know how missed this post but I will give you my two cents on this matter. I spent 13 yrs in the Army and all active. I will agree with everything that was said here. The military will own you but remeber that they will take you places and do things that you will never do without them. I believe that everyone should do aleast two years in the brach of their choice, gives you a chance to mature.

If you are really inerested in the EOD thing, that is one of my old MOS's, 55D, Do not let the recruiter snowball you the school is two years long and if you can get in your contract to do to jump school and then dive school, great for promotion and to boot by the time you get out of school you will be a E-4 and then the advancement is up to you.

I would say that you will have to take alot of civilian classes to get promoted, When I got out 6 yrs ago now, man it seems like only yesterday, to get E-7 you had to have a Bach degree and now you have to have a Masters to get E-8 remeber that there is only 9 pay grades in the enlisted ranks so E-8 is just under the top.

I would say that if you can get in to the WOCP (Warrant Officer Commision Program) That is the way to go you get treaded like an officer and you get the respect of the enlisted.

Best of luck in what you do and if you need any help at the recruiter just holler I am sure that there will be more than just me that will go with you to see that you do not get screwed.

Brent

TP Derrick D
02-25-2005, 07:55 PM
What Wes & Brent said. If you haven't been you can't really comment on it. Those movies are just that, MOVIES.Platoon is more realistic,that Rambo crap will get you D-E-A-D!!!! I spent 4 years in Germany '85-'89 was 1000's of miles from home and darn near froze to death in Graf & Holenfels and other smaller training sites but I could not have gotten that experience anywhere.3 years @ Ft Hood in 1st Cav ,month at a time in NTC(National Training Center) in the Mojave Desert near Barstow, California ,plus the people you meet can have a life long effect. I met my best man in the Army ,we've been best friends since 1986 so basically its what you make of it .I agree EVERYONE should have to do 3 years or at least 2 years after basic & AIT is over. 1/2 stateside 1/2 overseas. You get an education on the border looking at the East German/Russians in their guard tower looking at you through binos carrying loaded AK's. That was in '87 or so before the wall fell on the Hof border. Come by my house sometime Terry I'll show you a few things. :cool: