PDA

View Full Version : Telephone pole climbing

StormShadow
03-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Well this week I am learning to climb telephone poles with gaffs. This is about the damn scariest thing I've ever done. We have to test out on Friday 3 times with our feet over the 18' mark. We have to make our way all the way around the pole, drill a hole, drive a J-hook with a 2lb hammer. Today we climbed to 6'ft but me being the overachiever I climbed to 8'ft. Everything was going good, I climbed for 4 hours today and must have went up and down the pole 30 times. At the end of the day, the next to my last climb, on the way down I took a step and sunk the gaff into a crack on the pole. Well you can guess what happened next. The crack split and my gaff slid down about 2 inches and it came out and I fell off of the pole. I was super-confident but now I'm not so confident. The instructor saw what happened and he said that I did the proper technique but this was just one of those things that can happen. I have to climb 4 hours each day for the rest of the week and tomorrow its going to be raining. If I don't pass this class then I can't keep my outside job. Man am I dreading these next 3 days. Top it off and I feel like I'm 80 years old now, I'm sore in places that I didn't even know I had muscles. The gaffs are wearing a nice calus on my knees and I saw a guy bust ass today and he got a nice cut on his eye and a 3 inch splinter stuck in his belly. :o

StormShadow
03-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I forgot to add that this is just with the gaffs only, no harness no belt, nothing. If you fall you fall 18ft and land on yo ass. All that holds you on the pole is the 2 inch spike on the inside of your boot. :bs

jmlay
03-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Hope you do not slide down the pole & get a 4ft splinter!!!

Mike

Silver_2000
03-01-2005, 08:59 PM
I forgot to add that this is just with the gaffs only, no harness no belt, nothing. If you fall you fall 18ft and land on yo ass. All that holds you on the pole is the 3-4inch spike on the inside of your boot. :bs

Sounds like its a HUGE OSHA problem

BIG time -

Doug

StormShadow
03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
Sounds like its a HUGE OSHA problem

BIG time -

Doug

That's what we think too but the instructors say that climbing with a belt on will make you skin the pole if you cut-out (fall). If you cut-out without the belt you are supposed to just push yourself away from the pole so that you get a clean fall. WTF? Today we did some 25ft ladder training and I did that with no problem. I did find one thing strange though, we tied the ladder off in two places and then tied ourselves to the ladder. :confused:

I just remembered that we have one (kinda big) female in our class and she hasn't even made it past 2'ft yet. She keeps slipping out and busting her face on the pole. She was crying and the instructor was on her ass to get up that pole. Damn I didn't realize I had joined the military.

Silver_2000
03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
They are probobly right BUT

There are some regs anyway
No one but a fly by night would take those kinds of chances with employees

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9868

1910.269(g)(2)(v) Fall arrest equipment, work positioning equipment, or travel restricting equipment shall be used by employees working at elevated locations more than 4 feet (1.2 m) above the ground on poles, towers, or similar structures if other fall protection has not been provided. Fall protection equipment is not required to be used by a qualified employee climbing or changing location on poles, towers, or similar structures, unless conditions, such as, but not limited to, ice, high winds, the design of the structure (for example, no provision for holding on with hands), or the presence of contaminants on the structure, could cause the employee to lose his or her grip or footing.

Note 1: This paragraph applies to structures that support overhead electric power generation, transmission, and distribution lines and equipment. It does not apply to portions of buildings, such as loading docks, to electric equipment, such as transformers and capacitors, nor to aerial lifts. Requirements for fall protection associated with walking and working surfaces are contained in Subpart D of this Part; requirements for fall protection associated with aerial lifts are contained in 1910.67 of this Part.

Note 2: Employees undergoing training are not considered "qualified employees" for the purposes of this provision. Unqualified employees (including trainees) are required to use fall protection any time they are more than 4 feet (1.2 m) above the ground.

L8 APEX
03-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Damn, that is whack! I would think they could make a belt or slip know that would sinch up if you lost your footing. Doesn't sound like they are training safely. I would dress in a defensive manner expecting shards of wood in the front areas. I see those guys laying in their harnesses all day long to work on a pole.

99WhiteBeast
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Adam is really in training for the "Lumberjack X Games"

StormShadow
03-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Let me clarify a little. This isn't much better but we do have a safety harness that we wear for the first little bit (read first 4 hours). Whenever you take your test you get no such harness though. So 3 trips to 6ft, 3 trips to 12ft, and 3 trips to 18ft with no harness on. The instructor says that everyone burns a pole at some point. This is what they call it when you cut-out and ride the pole to the ground gathering splinters from the places where you have stepped before. I do fine going up but coming down is a trick. Since I've been up so many times I've worn a few places out on the pole and now when I sink the spike the wood around the puncture spinters out and sometimes I slide down. Luckily I'm doing the technique correctly and my follow foot sinks in the pole whenever my pivot foot cuts-out.

StormShadow
03-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Doug that is for Electrical workers. This is what I found for Telecommunications workers.

Pole climbers.1910.268(g)(3)(i)

Pole climbers may not be used if the gaffs are less than 1 1/4 inches in length as measured on the underside of the gaff. The gaffs of pole climbers shall be covered with safety caps when not being used for their intended use.1910.268(g)(3)(ii)

The employer shall ensure that pole climbers are inspected by a competent person for the following conditions: Fractured or cracked gaffs or leg irons, loose or dull gaffs, broken straps or buckles. If any of these conditions exist, the defect shall be corrected before the climbers are used.1910.268(g)(3)(iii)

Pole climbers shall be inspected as required in this paragraph (g)(3) before each day's use and a gaff cut-out test performed at least weekly when in use...1910.268(g)(3)(iv)

1910.268(g)(3)(iv)

Pole climbers may not be worn when:1910.268(g)(3)(iv)(A)

Working in trees (specifically designed tree climbers shall be used for tree climbing),1910.268(g)(3)(iv)(B)

Working on ladders,1910.268(g)(3)(iv)(C)

Working in an aerial lift,1910.268(g)(3)(iv)(D)

Driving a vehicle, nor1910.268(g)(3)(iv)(E)

Walking on rocky, hard, frozen, brushy or hilly terrain.

03LightningRocks
03-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Alright...I've read enough:mad: . Do your parents know what your doing? That is some crazy sh!t....get into a management position and knock off the suicide climbs.

Rocks:nono:

StormShadow
03-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Here is our equipment.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/7c/bd/43_1.JPG

TP Derrick D
03-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Hey Adam,
Here to cheer you up. At least in the military we had a saying "train for the worst ,expect and be prepared for the worst,give it your best" not much but hey if you have trained for falling or whatever could happen ,if you ever face that situation you would be better prepared. OR YOU COULD WATCH " GREEN ACRES " RE-RUNS OVER & OVER AND SEE HOW MR DOUGLAS & ABE DO IT :D j/k Adam

Silver_2000
03-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Doug that is for Electrical workers. This is what I found for Telecommunications workers.

You miseed the key part

1910.268(n)(8)

Other elevated locations. Safety straps and body belts shall be worn when working at elevated positions on poles, towers or similar structures, which do not have adequately guarded work areas.

StormShadow
03-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, I just got home and I'm plumb wore out. Me and 2 other guys, out of a class of 11), passed the 6ft climb today. They video tape you and everyone stops down and watches your climb so your pretty nevous. (I was the only one who passed on the first climb) Tomorrow it will be climbing to 6ft then put on a safety belt then make maneouvers. Then up to 12ft and repeat. This will be my first 4 hours. The second 4 hours will be putting a 30ft ladder on a telephone strand about 24ft in the air. We then climb the ladder and strap the ladder to the strand and then secure our buddy belt to the ladder and the strand. We are working mid strand on this excercise. No pole to lean on should you start to slip. Wish me luck, I want to be able to drive my truck when all of this is overwith.

PoorSvtman
03-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like your enjoying climbing the huge poles/shafts :D

StormShadow
03-02-2005, 07:47 PM
All joking aside, I couldn't even eat lunch today I was soo scared. :o

my2002lightning
03-02-2005, 08:14 PM
Adam,

You're a Union man, correct? What does your local Union leader say about this?

OSHA is almost worthless, trust me.

r1eater
03-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Adam,

You're a Union man, correct? What does your local Union leader say about this?

What's there for the union to say, its part of the job requirement. Its really more or less a weed out process to keep big fat F U C K E R S from trying this. You have to be in some kind of shape to do this job. Men and women alike. No fat out of shape asses here...

PoorSvtman
03-02-2005, 09:31 PM

**** OSHA always stays on dealerships arses! Its not even funny. They flip out about a airhose laying on the shop floor

r1eater
03-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Training gone bad....

Just cut it! Just cut it!! (http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/poledrop.wmv)

Sandman
03-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Training gone bad....

Just cut it! Just cut it!! (http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/poledrop.wmv)

That's some nice encouragement. :cool:

r1eater
03-02-2005, 10:55 PM
That's some nice encouragement. :cool:

Pfft.. those are wanna be phone men....

Us phone guys are smarter than that, we would have called a bucket truck out :d

my2002lightning
03-02-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm referring to Adam possibly falling ~18 ft. off a phone pole with no safety harness in a corporate training class and on the job. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

What's there for the union to say, its part of the job requirement. Its really more or less a weed out process to keep big fat F U C K E R S from trying this. You have to be in some kind of shape to do this job. Men and women alike. No fat out of shape asses here...

StormShadow
03-03-2005, 09:03 PM
For those interested, here is today's update. I climbed to 6ft and passed my test without any harness!!!! I belted off and climbed around the pole at 6ft. I then stayed 1 hour after everyone went home and climbed to 12ft and did maneuvers. My legs were shaking like a leaf and I couldn't breathe. I didn't realize I was this terrified of heights. I had already accepted the fact that I couldn't do this but the instructor said that she would give my buddy an extra hour today after work if I would do it too. No way I could cheat him out of his hour so I stayed and ended up getting up to 12ft. By this time I was soo exhausted from climbing for 9 hours today that I didn't have the strength to test out at 12ft but my buddy did.

Tomorrow I have 2 more 12ft climbs , 3 18ft climbs, and a End Of Training 18ft climb where I have to move all the way around the pole to one direction and then drive a j-hook, then rotate all the way around the other side and drive a j-hook.

I called my boss and told him that I might not make it and he said that they will send me back in 6 months and if I don't pass that time that I have to look for another job. The instructor told me that I have the best technique of everyone and that if I can just get through this then I'll never have to climb with gaff's again. My deal is that I can and will do the 18ft but I wish they would just give me a safety strap so if I fall I can try again. Not fall and get seriously hurt while I'm still in training. I do ok but there is only 1/4 of an inch of spike holding me onto the side of this freakin pole. Argh the frustration :flaming:

The climbing isn't really giving me that hard of a time, besides the soreness and the physical drain of climbing for 4-5 hours straight 5 days in a row, it's the heights that scares the piss out of me. I almost threw up once I got down from the 12ft climb.

I hate life this week!

Avalanche
03-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Wish you the best of luck Adam and make sure that you are in one piece to come and race next Sun. I have a little something for ya. knana

Seriously good luck brother and be safe.

True Blue Aggie
03-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I think we need to take you bungee jumping this weekend. That will make 18ft look like nothing....

Just keep in the back of your mind the money you can make being able to do this task. That should get you through anything....:tu:

r1eater
03-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Adam,

As always you are the man. I have no doubt that you will pass this test with flying colors. I know what you mean about heights, I had to climb this shitty ladder to hang Christmas lights on the face of my second story. I was so freaking scared, the dam ladder was swaying since it was made of aluminum.

Like I said before I KNOW you will pass, I've known you too long and never known you to fail at anything.. When you pass I'll drive down and we can get piss drunk!!

jim woods
03-04-2005, 12:24 AM
I don't know much about Adams job.But I thought in any job training or job you would be required to use some kind safety equipment.From the way Adam has describing it ,there is a high risk that a person would fall and get seriously hurt.I can not see how a company would risk this kinda liability issue? and risk such high Workman's Compensation rates?Could someone explain this?Is this standard practice for tele comms workers not to use any safety equipment?

cpeapea
03-04-2005, 06:02 AM
im bad at working on high places. i work on cat walks and im bad about dropping wrenches through the grating. id kill someone with a spiked boot if i was on a pole.

Beaudee
03-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Try walking on top of a 737 with a bag of tools after a recent wax job to repair lightning srikes.Talk about earning your money! I hate this time of year!!! :eek:

00Bolt
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
well I think this time of year is just crappy for everyone. My job is not life threatning, but iv been working about 16hours a day for past 2 weeks... but good for the money...

anyway, good luck Adam and be careful...!!

Mark #2
03-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey Adam, good luck.

My brother-in-law sand blasts and paints water towers, he does not like working on anything under ~40ft, might get hurt. He says no fear over 40ft, nothing to worry about.

You may try riding in the Reunion tower elevator to get over the fear of heights and walking around on the outside of the ball. No kidding, you kind of get used to it.

Mark

00Bolt
03-04-2005, 04:31 PM
iv been looking for someone to go sky diving with me... adam you game?

Silver_2000
03-04-2005, 04:51 PM
My job is not life threatning,

Never know you might trip and fall and poke your eye out with a trophy

00Bolt
03-04-2005, 05:05 PM
lol.... i doubt that.... but i have almost cut a finger off before with the saw ( i have to cut the colums on the trophies)

StormShadow
03-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Well today came and went and I failed the class. I did my 12ft climb with maneuvers first thing this morning to get a warm up climb before I attempted the 18ft climb for the first time. It was raining this morning when I got to work. They had us get our climbing gear on and hook up to our pole. I was all set and psyched up to get it done and whatever. I got up to 12ft and was pretty tired by the time I got there, but I did my steps to each side and belted off and sat there waiting for my legs to stop shaking before I came down. I got my witts and caught my breath and took my first drop down one step and put all of my weight on the right leg( this was the one that was lower and was the leg that was locked). I then took a drop down to my left leg and as soon as the left leg hit the right leg shot out of the wood and I was fighting to keep my balance to stay up on that pole! Panic was setting in but I steadied myself and recovered and once I decended the 12ft I told the instructor to get this damn **** off of me that I'm not climbing another pole for the life of me. So now I have one more shot to pass this class and if I don't then I will have 90 days from the time that I fail it to find a new job. WTF. Why can't they give us a safety harness or just let me use the ladder? Every field tech that I talk to uses their ladder, I've only seen one guy use gaff's in my 7 years in the field and he was an old school telco tech from back in the day.

Here is an article I found about a manager that was forced to take pole climbing boot camp while we were on strike. She fell 12+ft and landed on her head, she sustained a cracked skull and some broken ribs and later died from the injury.

Training in these extracurricular functions has been going on for weeks, and a few injuries have been reported.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/05/05/BUG8V6FKBR1.DTL

StormShadow
03-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Man I'm soo dissapointed in myself and damn I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'm just drained right now, mentally and physically.

SpeedyBolt
03-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Don't worry brother, there is always something out there for you if they decide to be dicks! Don't be hard on yourself you still have another chance to get it!

jeff56
03-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Sorry to hear about the test. That sounds like some crazy stuff to me. I think I'll stick to dodging bullets...much safer!

L8 APEX
03-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear about the test. That sounds like some crazy stuff to me. I think I'll stick to dodging bullets...much safer! At least you get to shoot back. Adam would have to come back and cut the pole down and burn it:evil .

L8 APEX
03-04-2005, 10:40 PM
Maybe try a stair climber or other machine to get in shape before the next test. Just get through the class and do the job how you want later.

Mark #2
03-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Adam, all I can say is WOW , a young stud like you has difficulty, how can anyone pass this test?
Good luck on the next round.
Mark

Avalanche
03-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Damn Adam I feel for ya brother but remember that God works in mysterious ways. Maybe this is a sign that it is not for you. Not trying to put anything down but I agree that the test with no restaining system is B.S. I wish you the best of luck and if you need any help in anything just holler buddy. :tu:

my2002lightning
03-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Adam,

Don't be ashamed! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif It's the whole "out of control" factor, for me that makes it uneasy. I can barely stand the ~20-30 ft. climb up on of my oak-tree deer-stands (to tie on my harness) with the .300 on my back with the tree swaying. Oh yeah, I have to be dead-quiet during all this. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif

A friend of mine was exiting a bow-hunting tree-stand a few years back (taking off his harness while descending) and fell approx. ~15-20 ft., he said. Luckily, Jimmy only broke his arm and was only knocked unconcious, his hunting partner heard the commotion and assisted.

Good luck!

Ronald

True Blue Aggie
03-05-2005, 07:48 AM
A friend of mine was exiting a bow-hunting tree-stand a few years back (taking off his harness while descending) and fell approx. ~15-20 ft., he said. Luckily, Jimmy only broke his arm and was only knocked unconcious, his hunting partner heard the commotion and assisted.

Does "assisted" mean that the partner put him out of his misery, just like you would a race horse?

StormShadow
03-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I found out today that one of the guys taking the class in Houston fell from 18ft and broke his leg. They said that the femur was sticking out of his skin and they had to careflight him. WTF!!! This pisses me off.:flaming:

Moonshine
03-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I'm sure glad I don't work with any dangerous tools in my job. ;)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/3050302_IMG_3900-after-med.jpg

Actually, I feel for you on the heights. When I went to a basic SWAT school one of the required areas was rappeling. As part of that I did an "Australian" rappel (upside down, decending head first) off the top of the Cotton Bowl. I never had a fear of heights before that, but I've sure had one ever since. The whole time I kept thinking WTF am I doing, we don't even have a building this tall in town, or any rappeling gear.

Avalanche
03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
Brian i can feel your pain on the repelling thing. When i was going to air assualt school one of the advanced moves we had to do was teh Aussie repell from 250 ft. try going face first out of a Blackhawk at 250 ft in the air and nothing but a rope holding you and your life. Do get me started on the fast rope issue.

Silver_2000
03-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I'm sure glad I don't work with any dangerous tools in my job. ;)

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/3050302_IMG_3900-after-med.jpg

Actually, I feel for you on the heights. When I went to a basic SWAT school one of the required areas was rappeling. As part of that I did an "Australian" rappel (upside down, decending head first) off the top of the Cotton Bowl. I never had a fear of heights before that, but I've sure had one ever since. The whole time I kept thinking WTF am I doing, we don't even have a building this tall in town, or any rappeling gear.

Thats a GREAT picture brian - Offer a beer to the photographer

I used to do all kinds of rappeling in College and after. Still have the gear - Im sure its in great shape after 20 years... LOL - I used to rappel off anything I could
The hieghts thing is all in your head. - BUT then I never was forced to do the head down rappel - Thats likely a big reason I did it - It was always my choice - My equipment - My rigging etc...

Moonshine
03-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Thats a GREAT picture brian - Offer a beer to the photographer

I have. The photog is one of our Sergeants who's become a real photography buff. He's using a Canon 10D with a bunch of fancy lenses, 5 frames per second, etc.

We had our annual "Top Shooter" competetition earlier this week, followed by Tac training. He took over 500 pics, and he got some great shots.

More power to you on the rappeling, it's just not for me. I thought it was fun until I slipped, and just about came out of my Swiss seat just off the lip on the back side of the Cotton Bowl. After that I just wanted to get down in one piece. :(

my2002lightning
03-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Michael,

No, assisted as in his other partner carried him out of the timber, and drove him to the hospital with a busted arm. The following year, he fell out of the VERY same tree and broke his arm again. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Ok. St. grad, I might add. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/devil.gif

Adam,

How in the hell do they keep from getting sued to high-hell over these sort of corporate practices ? http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bash.gifhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif Watch yourself out there!

Brian,

Were you shooting that AR 3 rnd. burst or full-auto? Also, is there a reason you have that pressure switch for the Tac-Light off the fore-stock or did it fall during shooting?

While on the subject of rapelling, what style is it where you see those SEALS, etc. "running" down the side of a building? It's crazy to watch.

Yes, very good camera work! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bows.gif

L8 APEX
03-07-2005, 01:22 AM
That is one of the brand new Colt Commandos they are not finished rigging it yet. They are auto/semi only no burst as it is a flawed system. They replaced their old MP5's. Check out the old man's Miracle Ear aids!:D

Moonshine
03-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Brian,

Were you shooting that AR 3 rnd. burst or full-auto? Also, is there a reason you have that pressure switch for the Tac-Light off the fore-stock or did it fall during shooting?

While on the subject of rapelling, what style is it where you see those SEALS, etc. "running" down the side of a building? It's crazy to watch.

As Terry said, I was shooting on full auto, but using trigger control to fire 3 round bursts. We didn't want the 3 round burst triggers. The switch for the light isn't attached because that gun isn't assigned yet, and we'll leave it to the officer it's assigned to to mount the switch where he wants it. I'm not sure what that method of rappeling/fast roping is called.

Tex Arcana
03-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Wow, just wow. Corporate "safety policies" gone awry. :flaming:

Damn, that is whack! I would think they could make a belt or slip know that would sinch up if you lost your footing. Doesn't sound like they are training safely. I would dress in a defensive manner expecting shards of wood in the front areas. I see those guys laying in their harnesses all day long to work on a pole.

They do: they have "bungee cords" that attach to a body harness that can prevent ground contact in case of a fall; and they have what amount to inertia reels, for higher climbs, that keep the safety line taut, and will arrest your fall to a slow descent if you should lose your footing/grip. They use this stuff in the oilfield all the time--no reason the telecom industry can't use them as well.

OSHA can sometimes do some good, but only if they konw about the violations AND someone has the guts to give it to 'em.

I don't know much about Adams job. But I thought in any job training or job you would be required to use some kind safety equipment. From the way Adam has describing it, there is a high risk that a person would fall and get seriously hurt. I can not see how a company would risk this kinda liability issue? And risk such high Workman's Compensation rates? Could someone explain this? Is this standard practice for tele comms workers not to use any safety equipment?

Workers' Compensation has been totally raped by the present administrations in this country and in many states, and is but a mere shadow of its former self. "Exceptions" abound in what's "allowed" to be claimed, and most corporations have ways to get around the claims and to make it nigh-impossible for anyone to make claims (from veiled threats of job loss to cooking up bogus reasons to fire people).

You may try riding in the Reunion tower elevator to get over the fear of heights and walking around on the outside of the ball. No kidding, you kind of get used to it.

It's not a fear of hieghts he has... it's a fear of injury and death! :d

Here is an article I found about a manager that was forced to take pole climbing boot camp while we were on strike. She fell 12+ft and landed on her head, she sustained a cracked skull and some broken ribs and later died from the injury.

Training in these extracurricular functions has been going on for weeks, and a few injuries have been reported.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/05/05/BUG8V6FKBR1.DTL

I just loved these articles, especially the tap-dancing SBC does when it comes to justifying their actions and decisions. And the worst part of it is that human life is just pretty much worth nothing anymore, especially when it impacts the bottom line :flaming:

Adam, Don't be ashamed! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif It's the whole "out of control" factor, for me that makes it uneasy.

Yeah, that's what gets me, too. That, and the vivid image of my head splitting open when it hits the floor/ground/concrete. :vomit:

When I began my sentence at Helliburton, in safety class, we were told of the guy who fell off a christmas tree (safety valve array for an oil well), from about 3' off the ground, and broke his neck. He's paralyzed from the neck down, and last I heard about ready to end it all. :cry:

Adam, How in the hell do they keep from getting sued to high-hell over these sort of corporate practices ?

See above, but the short answer is, "it's an employer's market," meaning they can set the rules because so many people are so desperate to just make a living these days, that they'll risk death to live. :flaming:

jeff56
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Good to go on replacing the MP5's, Moonshine. We are in the process of trying to do the same with our 5 and 53's. As we are in between chiefs at the present time, it has been put on hold, however. That brings up a good point...interested in a chief spot? We're hiring! :tu:

Moonshine
03-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I was really happy to be able to get rid of all the MP5's, and step up to all rifle caliber long guns for Tac. We did it all on a trade, and got 5 of the Commando's, and 4 M4's. We were going to go with just semi-auto on the M4's for perimeter, but the select fire's were less expensive, so we went full auto with everything. Now we just need to get some Aimpoint's and they'll be in good shape. I feel like our Tac team is now much better prepared for stuff like the SNS convoy security. Ya'll been working on that?

As for the Chief thing, I'm happy where I am, but thanks for asking.

00Bolt
03-08-2005, 09:21 AM
here ya go adam

http://media2.big-boys.com/images/bbpics/pic0756.jpg

jeff56
03-08-2005, 11:26 PM
I feel like our Tac team is now much better prepared for stuff like the SNS convoy security. Ya'll been working on that?

As for the Chief thing, I'm happy where I am, but thanks for asking.

Nope...actually not familiar with what you are referring to, so we are way out of the loop on that one. Elaborate if you can.

As for the chief thing....you can't blame me for trying. Who wouldn't want a chief with a Lightning? :eek2:

03LightningRocks
03-09-2005, 02:30 AM
here ya go adam

http://media2.big-boys.com/images/bbpics/pic0756.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: Where in the heck do they find guys for that job? The nut house???

Moonshine
03-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Nope...actually not familiar with what you are referring to, so we are way out of the loop on that one. Elaborate if you can.

PM or e.mail me.

StormShadow
05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
SUCCESS!!!!!!

I finally passed this bitch!

Monday we were only allowed to get familiar with the technique and the equipment so 3-4 ft was the highest that we could go.

Tuesday came and I climbed 6ft 3 times and then tested without a harnass on video camera with everyone watching. I then did my 3 climbs to 6ft and did my steps around the pole 3 times and then tested in the same manner. I also did my 12ft climbs.

Wednesday I tested at 12ft and then did my 3 climbs to 18ft

Today I tested at 18ft and then did my End Of Training exercise which is when you climb a pole all the way up to the strand and then belt off and drive a J-hook with a sledgehammer. (this sucks because it shakes the **** out of the pole) You then place a span clamp out as far as you can reach on the strand (this sucks because it really tests your balance and your fear of heights) You then have to take steps to maneuver yourself to the other side of the pole and repeat the process. The other thing that sucks is that while I'm up here doing mine then guy on the next pole is doing his and everything he does shakes the **** out of my pole and everything I do shakes his. The climb takes about 8-10 minutes to get up to 18ft (head at 24ft) and belt off. Then the work takes about 30-45 minutes and then another 8-10 minutes to get down. My legs burn like a bitch right now. While I was up there my leg fell asleep and I started to panic and was wishing I was on the groung but I nutted up and got it done and now I feel the biggest sence of relief and accomplishment in the world.

Tomorrow all I have to do is climb a stepped pole up to 18ft which is no big deal because a stepped pole is kinda like a vertical ladder.

dboat
05-26-2005, 07:11 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :tu:

Sixpipes
05-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Cool. :tu:

L-Fever
05-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Way to go Adam!:tu:

03LightningRocks
05-26-2005, 07:47 PM
WAY TO GO ADAM!!!!

I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

:bows :bows :bows :bows :bows :bows :bows :bows :bows

Mark #2
05-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Congrats Adam, but stay focused for tomorrow.

Mark

Nuhklz
05-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Good job!! knana

Silver_2000
05-26-2005, 09:27 PM
:tu: :tu:

BC Lightning
05-26-2005, 09:34 PM
congrats bro :tu:

my2002lightning
05-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Keep up the good work, Adam, and be careful. :tu:

Sandman
05-26-2005, 09:58 PM
:beer:

jeff56
05-27-2005, 01:48 AM
That's really good news. After reading about your troubles with the last attempt, I give you a :tu: for saddling back up and accomplishing that. Way to go!

FRDRCING
05-27-2005, 08:52 AM
Congradulations Adam :tu:

cpeapea
05-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Adam the pole hugger:banana: :evil

Moonshine
05-27-2005, 04:47 PM
That's really good news. After reading about your troubles with the last attempt, I give you a :tu: for saddling back up and accomplishing that. Way to go!

Ditto. knana

Tex Arcana
05-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Way to go, bud.. well done.

Waht I can't figure out, tho, is why they don't put a better safety system on you guys that far up? Say, inertia reels or just decent harness systems? :confused:

StormShadow
05-28-2005, 03:04 PM
On Friday the last of the class was trying to get their climbs out of the way. The last person to go up was an overweight woman. She got all the way up to 18ft and did her steps and then took her belt off and started to come down. Either she was too tired or the pain medicine that she was taking relaxed her concentration but she took about 3 steps and then started standing upright as opposed to leaning back like we are taught. Her foot cut out on her at about 16ft, she had a chance to save it by having her other foot in the proper position and by leaning back but wasn't able to. On her way down she smacked the pole which now had her falling on her side. She hit the ground on her side/front and laid there for about 10 minutes before they could get her up and take her to the hospital. I dont know how messed up she got because we had to leave the pole yard before the last few people tested out so that they wouldnt be pressured or distracted by all of us watching. (We watched from across the street)

All I know is that if she had fell before I did my tests that I dont think I would have had the balls to get it done. (You never know though, I wanted this pretty bad)

Tex Arcana
05-28-2005, 04:47 PM
On Friday the last of the class was trying to get their climbs out of the way. The last person to go up was an overweight woman. She got all the way up to 18ft and did her steps and then took her belt off and started to come down. Either she was too tired or the pain medicine that she was taking relaxed her concentration but she took about 3 steps and then started standing upright as opposed to leaning back like we are taught. Her foot cut out on her at about 16ft, she had a chance to save it by having her other foot in the proper position and by leaning back but wasn't able to. On her way down she smacked the pole which now had her falling on her side. She hit the ground on her side/front and laid there for about 10 minutes before they could get her up and take her to the hospital. I dont know how messed up she got because we had to leave the pole yard before the last few people tested out so that they wouldnt be pressured or distracted by all of us watching. (We watched from across the street)

All I know is that if she had fell before I did my tests that I dont think I would have had the balls to get it done. (You never know though, I wanted this pretty bad)

Jeebus, that is insane... I canNOT believe they allow people to work in those kinds of situations. Hell, I can't beleive they've not been sued into wooden barrells over this!! :vomit:

r1eater
05-28-2005, 05:17 PM
Way to go, bud.. well done.

Waht I can't figure out, tho, is why they don't put a better safety system on you guys that far up? Say, inertia reels or just decent harness systems? :confused:

Because you cant use that out in the field. Also like this lady that fell, they want to weed out all the people that just cant do this wether it be because of physical disabilities or mental blocks.

Bottom line is the Telephone company is highly regulated and they pay big bucks if crap goes down. So they need people that can perform out in the field, unfortunatley they cant use bucket trucks to get to everything.

If they put all kinds of safety eqpt then this would be a useless test. Last thing they need is some guy with bum leg to pass this test because he has all kinds of help then have them not perform in the field.

Tex Arcana
05-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Because you cant use that out in the field. Also like this lady that fell, they want to weed out all the people that just cant do this wether it be because of physical disabilities or mental blocks.

Bottom line is the Telephone company is highly regulated and they pay big bucks if crap goes down. So they need people that can perform out in the field, unfortunatley they cant use bucket trucks to get to everything.

If they put all kinds of safety eqpt then this would be a useless test. Last thing they need is some guy with bum leg to pass this test because he has all kinds of help then have them not perform in the field.

I disagree... if the oilfield can use safety stuff like inertia reels and harnesses, then you guys can as well, even in the field. Yeah, it would take a bit more work to make it happen, but what price a human life?? :fm:

r1eater
05-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I disagree... if the oilfield can use safety stuff like inertia reels and harnesses, then you guys can as well, even in the field. Yeah, it would take a bit more work to make it happen, but what price a human life?? :fm:

Hey if they cant take the heat... get out of the telephone business. They dont have to do this job.. Are you originally from California? And Yes, there ARE some places where the only option is to climb the pole.

Tex Arcana
05-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Hey if they cant take the heat... get out of the telephone business. They dont have to do this job.. Are you originally from California? And Yes, there ARE some places where the only option is to climb the pole.

True, they do'nt have to do the job; but the company has an obligation to try to protect the employees and not place them in situations where the death rate exceeds the crime rate. I realize that they have to do such a thing occasionally, and must be able to do it, but it's not hard or expensive to make damn sure they effing LIVE if they fall. Inertia reels and harnesses are dead cheap, compared to the cost of an insurance payout, or a lawsuit--which is coming next, mark my words.

And, no, I'm not fro Cali, I'm a 5th-generation native Texan. :nono:

StormShadow
05-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Jeebus, that is insane... I canNOT believe they allow people to work in those kinds of situations. Hell, I can't beleive they've not been sued into wooden barrells over this!! :vomit:

We watched a video of how the Electric Company climbs and they just use 2 points of contact which is how a robot walks (left arm and leg move at the same time etc..) we use 3 points of contact. When we climb we place both hands on the pole with the right hand on top and take a step with the right foot. Then we shift all of our weight onto the right foot. We then raise the left hand and take a step with the left foot. Each step you take is scary because you have to stand up on that one leg with both heels touching before you can take a step up. The Electric Company guys just walk up the pole. Our technique is more deliberate and time consuming but also safer.

Tex Arcana
05-28-2005, 06:35 PM
We watched a video of how the Electric Company climbs and they just use 2 points of contact which is how a robot walks (left arm and leg move at the same time etc..) we use 3 points of contact. When we climb we place both hands on the pole with the right hand on top and take a step with the right foot. Then we shift all of our weight onto the right foot. We then raise the left hand and take a step with the left foot. Each step you take is scary because you have to stand up on that one leg with both heels touching before you can take a step up. The Electric Company guys just walk up the pole. Our technique is more deliberate and time consuming but also safer.

Damn, you have balls of steel that are the size of cantaloupes... :bows

r1eater
05-28-2005, 06:49 PM
True, they do'nt have to do the job; but the company has an obligation to try to protect the employees and not place them in situations where the death rate exceeds the crime rate.

ok now you're just being silly, :beer: If it were that bad they wouldnt have any techs to do the job!! :rll:

StormShadow
05-28-2005, 07:07 PM
The instructor told us that there are 200,000 certified climbers between all of the electric company and the phone companies in the US. Random Fact.

StormShadow
05-28-2005, 07:24 PM
I found a few sites that fully explain everything you need to know pretty much as it was taught to me.

Part 1
http://www.myinsulators.com/pole-climbing/poleclimb1.html
Part 2
http://www.myinsulators.com/pole-climbing/poleclimb6.html

dboat
05-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok, my .02 on this...

This job aint for everyone, so there has to be a test to make it. My best guess is that all kinds of safety equipment is used whenever possible, but sometimes, it isnt available so you have to do it the hard way. Its kind of like learning math and doing arithmetic tables.. yes we have spreadsheets, computers and handheld calculators, but sometimes I am in a meeting and dont have those with me and have to do the math in my head or on a piece of paper..(I realize it isnt the best analogy, but its the best I can think of at almost 10p on a Sat night)..

Having said all that, I bet there is the occasional person that falls that will sue them... but I also bet that the company has you guys sign all kinds of waivers saying you cant sue, but can collect workers comp.

Dana

my2002lightning
08-11-2005, 02:31 AM
Having moved into the new place here in Allen, we have a Cingular tower behind the house. We were outside and listening to the techs "colorful" conversation atop the 100ft. tower. :tongue:

They've been there since approx. 10pm., it's after 2am. now and they're still working away. :cool: