PDA

View Full Version : Sad day at the office...

Crawford
08-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Our company is reducing workforce today. I lucked out and missed the cut but my good friend and coworker got laid off. He is a great UNIX admin so if anyone out there has any leads on UNIX positions please let me know so I can help him out. I am going to get back to being depressed at work now.

blueoval01
08-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Sam,
I have seen quite a few Unix jobs listed on Dice.com and Monster.com

Liminator
08-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Please don't take this wrong but I would tell him to get a new career. In this day and time seems the neighbors kid knows more about pooters than most adults do. Seems most people getting laid-off these days are computer related, hard to build up a good retirement if you get laid-off every other year. Once again , no flame on you're chosen profession, if you can correctly operate a pooter you are already more intelegent than me.

Silver_2000
08-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Liminator
Please don't take this wrong but I would tell him to get a new career. In this day and time seems the neighbors kid knows more about pooters than most adults do. Seems most people getting laid-off these days are computer related, hard to build up a good retirement if you get laid-off every other year. Once again , no flame on you're chosen profession, if you can correctly operate a pooter you are already more intelegent than me.

It couldnt be every Tom , Dick and clueless that decided during the boom times that he could make more money in Tech than working for Chilis... The good news is that the recent downturn in customer service at Walmart, chilis and other places will trun back up as the labor market restructures.... Who knows we may even see the quality of wings at Hooters improve as well....

Doug

Logan
08-29-2002, 06:57 PM
The profession isn't the problem, rather it's the poor level of experience most guys who claim to be pro's have.

Christ, Half the guys applying at our shop say they have 5+ years experience running enterprise Oracle & Sun systems, but take them through a technical test in an interview and they almost all look like a bunch of 3rd rate amateurs...

Crawford
08-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Logan
The profession isn't the problem, rather it's the poor level of experience most guys who claim to be pro's have.

Christ, Half the guys applying at our shop say they have 5+ years experience running enterprise Oracle & Sun systems, but take them through a technical test in an interview and they almost all look like a bunch of 3rd rate amateurs...

Well this guy is pretty good. He managed our Oracle stuff on our Sun boxes among several other things. He had been with the company for 3 years. We have shrunk from 1000 to about 90 employees and his job responsibilities shrunk with the lack of people to support so thats probably why he was chosen to go. He has been doing Unix for several years. Logan, if you guys ever have anything that comes up I dont think it would be a waste of time to check him out. I am definitely going to miss him on our team. :(

:vomit:

MadMax
08-30-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!

It couldnt be every Tom , Dick and clueless that decided during the boom times that he could make more money in Tech than working for Chilis... The good news is that the recent downturn in customer service at Walmart, chilis and other places will trun back up as the labor market restructures.... Who knows we may even see the quality of wings at Hooters improve as well....

Doug

Agreed! Customer service....they forgot! And do not forget we are into the "Information Age"....only 52-60 percent of the population own Personal Computers. Contrary to much belief, there is room for mucho expansion in networking. I helped start the first (1st) CLEC/DLEC in Austin, Texas (Time-Warner) I have seen enough bad business plans you would puke! :vomit: IT/Programming is strong and will return beaucoup. Telecommunications and other industries require much expertise in the form of IT/Programming/Scripting etc. This economy is simply experiencing a market correction. A few very bad business plans have sucked up enormous amounts of capital from our society. Wall Street is the engine that makes our country run. IT/Telecom is not lost nor forgotten. 7.1 billion (WorldCom) is alot of enchiladas pulled out of our economy. Multiply this by all the other scams (Global/Adelphia/Tyco/etc) and you have a problem Houston. The USA will come back! :D

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (U.S. Navy) coined the term "computer bug" - she was working on one of the first electronic computers in the 1940s when she found a moth had shorted out two vacuum tubes.
posted by debbie

Average income for CEOs at companies under investigation by the Justice Department: $62 million... :bs

Dean!
08-30-2002, 11:02 PM
and despite all of this, we couldn't fill a $50-$60 hour full time contract position (6 months) with anyone in DFW !!! We pulled a guy from Atlanta, GA. He's very happy. That I can't understand.... has no one ever heard of or used Installshield, Wise, Wininstall, MSI, Winbatch, Windows Installer ??? We'll likely have a second opening in a month and you can work right here in Carrollton, TX...(contract though...)

- Dean!

Silver_2000
08-31-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Dean!
and despite all of this, we couldn't fill a $50-$60 hour full time contract position (6 months) with anyone in DFW !!! We pulled a guy from Atlanta, GA. He's very happy. That I can't understand.... has no one ever heard of or used Installshield, Wise, Wininstall, MSI, Winbatch, Windows Installer ??? We'll likely have a second opening in a month and you can work right here in Carrollton, TX...(contract though...)

- Dean!

I have used some of them but not enough to qualify for a job...

Doug

blueoval01
09-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
I have used some of them but not enough to qualify for a job...

Doug

Yep, I use Wise about once a month, but I doubt I could get a job doing it full time.

98Cobra
09-01-2002, 11:09 AM
I think I would only take a contract job like that if I was going to otherwise starve. A stable job paying less is worth more than a short term job paying a lot, IMO. I mean, after that contract, who knows how long you will be looking for a job again? And I *hate* looking for a job.

OneRedTXBolt
09-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Hate to say it, but there is no such thing as a "stable" job anymore. Especially in Texas, where you can be fired for any reason at any time. There was a time when I used to think like Garett, until I got laid off from my "stable" job last October. Citrix came in, they moved the servers to KC, and decided they no longer needed an Admin in Dallas. So, in order to save some $$, let's cut the highest paid team member.

Having worked both full time and contract each for about 5 years, I certainly enjoy the higher pay of contract work. There was a time that stability was an issue, but in these tough economic times, believe me when I say this, ~any~ job is a good one.

I am currently consulting for myself, and there haven't yet been enough customers to make me happy. There are bunches in the pipelines, but I do miss a steady paycheck. :d

James

98Cobra
09-04-2002, 01:37 PM
It just depends. Sure, any job can go at any time, but in my case, my job isn't going to be threatened by the same things that cause the tech sector to bust. People aren't likely to stop drinking soft drinks and eating potato chips any time soon, no matter what the economy does. ;)

Best of luck to those looking for a job tho'. Like I said, I have been there and I don't like it one bit.

Dean!
09-04-2002, 02:30 PM
98Cobra: I didn't mean for anyone to quit a good paying job, this was just for those who may know someone that is currently unemployed and is seeking a job. I think we all know someone (or a few) like that. I know over a dozen people that are unemployed.... 3 of my friends recently found jobs in the last 2 months, but they had been unemployed for a few months, if not longer... :(

- Dean!

OneRedTXBolt
09-04-2002, 02:31 PM
I wanted to also wish those folks looking for jobs good luck. It's a little tough out there right now.

Although I agree that your job, per se, isn't going anywhere, as information services will definitely be needed in that industry, outsourcing is always a possibility. Sounds like you're feeling pretty comfy, and I really think that's great. I've been there. :D

I'm just not anymore :d

Cya tomorrow!

:burnout: