PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to beat a srt-10

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Have an 04 L and i want to put someone in their place,what mods are needed?Would like to stick with a 4# pulley.Possible? Need to beat an srt-10 stock. :D

00Bolt
03-10-2005, 08:33 AM
well from what Iv heard, unless they are a darn good driver, stock vs stock is a pretty good race as is.... but id go with 6lb, chip, filter and take a pic of the rear view mirror for us to see

02BOLT
03-10-2005, 08:49 AM
4lb pulley, chip(or programmer) and filter should do the trick nicely. All you need is about 380-400 RWHP, and you should spank him good in a 1/4, or up to about 110 mph. He'll probably have more top end ultimately(130-150mph), but that's not where the race will be happening anyway.

Get him quick while the weather is still cool, because once it warms up, you'll lose some performance due to the warmer IAT's(Incoming Air Temps).

Goodluck...

Sixpipes
03-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Most of us just have to show up............:cool:

00Bolt
03-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Get him quick while the weather is still cool, because once it warms up, you'll lose some performance due to the warmer IAT's(Incoming Air Temps).

i know this is a fact, but is it just something about our trucks that dont like the heat, or wouldnt the dodge be affected with heat also??

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 09:07 AM
i know this is a fact, but is it just something about our trucks that dont like the heat, or wouldnt the dodge be affected with heat also??
I work graveyard shift.Anyone got a 4# pulley ,Magnaflow exhaust, Terry tune , filter sys. and had it dynoed? :D

Sixpipes
03-10-2005, 09:12 AM

Normally aspirated engines are not as affected by heat as forced induction engines. The SRT-10 will be slower in heat, but not to the extent it affects a Gen II Lightning. :cool:

tliss
03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
I work graveyard shift.Anyone got a 4# pulley ,Magnaflow exhaust, Terry tune , filter sys. and had it dynoed? :D

That combo should get you to a little over 380 at the wheels.

As far what it takes to beat a SRT-10, stock for stock it will be a good race and pretty close. Put on the mods listed above and it should be no contest. SRT-10 owners keep claiming low 13s stock, but I have never actually seen it happen. Best I've ever seen either in person or video is high 13s.

Tom

lenard_hester
03-10-2005, 11:07 AM
The original question: What does it take to beat a srt-10?
The Right Answer: A Lightning w/ a few minor mods.

SRT-10's are not all that fast unless they have an awesome driver. The one time I ran one I absolutely demolished him. He even beat me on reaction time, but as soon as I got going, I walked him like nobody's business. It was kind funny because it was up at Denton and the guy was announcing on the loud speaker, and he said something to the effect of "Here goes the Ram vs. the Lightning again....and the Lightning wins...again" (it was funny at the time) The best I have seen them run in the 1/8th was like 8.7.

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 02:55 PM
I didn't think they were faster in the 1/4, but i never saw any specs or heard of anyone with a L. spankin one.The way most of my friends think, dodge owner included is i'll get spanked.This ought to be good but i want the Clint edge and make sure with a few mods. he shuts up.One thing i am curious about is an 04 is 380hp and 450trq right?I thought these mods i would like to get would get me well over 400hp.The L. does look better, sound better,and ride tighter than one of them srt's.I know when i got into my L. there wasn't any decision on which one i was driven home. :tu:

Sandman
03-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I didn't think they were faster in the 1/4, but i never saw any specs or heard of anyone with a L. spankin one.The way most of my friends think, dodge owner included is i'll get spanked.This ought to be good but i want the Clint edge and make sure with a few mods. he shuts up.One thing i am curious about is an 04 is 380hp and 450trq right?I thought these mods i would like to get would get me well over 400hp.The L. does look better, sound better,and ride tighter than one of them srt's.I know when i got into my L. there wasn't any decision on which one i was driven home. :tu:

The 380hp and 450tq is rated at the crank, not the wheels. Realistically, your pushing 330 to 345 or so to the wheels stock. I put down 335 hp @ the wheels with only a filter in 90 degree heat. When the temp was 60 degrees, I dynoed again and put 360 to the wheels with only a filter.

WA 2 FST
03-10-2005, 03:42 PM
4lb pulley, CAI, SCT tune, cat-back, heat exchanger = 393rwhp/482rwtq SAE corrected. It was a cool day, so uncorrected I was at 410rwhp/500+rwtq.

12.8 @ 109 on radials w/ a crappy 2.04 60' time.

You will beat him easily with the mods you listed.

tliss
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM

The "claims" are they are faster top speed and quarter. I have yet to see the "claims" lived up to in real life, though. Best I've seen a stock SRT-10 run is 13.8-ish, and the best I ran stock is a 13.80 in cold weather. Same set up in the dead of summer (90*+) yielded me a time of 14.50. Weather will be a big factor if you are 100% stock, putting you at a disadvantage if this guy knows how to shift and does not miss third.

Andy is correct...the 380HP number is crank horsepower, meaning the engine alone without any drivetrain loss. There is a big amoutn of power lost between the crank and the rear wheels, so you will only put 330-350 of that HP to the ground. The mods above mentionned will get you to 380-400 at the wheels and around 420 or so crank horsepower. Confused yet?

All in all I love my truck and have chosen not to lose to an SRT-10. Let us know when this is going to happen and few of uss will come out to help you shut his cake hole for him.

Tom

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for settin me straight on wheel H.P. vs. engine..Im savin for mods. now, i hope to mod mine in June.I also like the Roush suspension.You know whats funny, when i go out for lunch,theres a line to whos riding in the L.. :d

WA 2 FST
03-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Beau,

You'll have basically a copy of my truck with those mods and the Roush suspension. You cannot go wrong with any of the stuff you plan to do.

The '99 I had for 4.5 years had the same mods, except a 2lb pulley vs. 4lb pulley. The thing was super reliable, never in the shop, ran great, handled great, looked new when I sold it.

Just a point to say you will be very pleased and won't have to keep pouring $$ into the truck for repair bills once you're done.

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 04:13 PM
Beau,

You'll have basically a copy of my truck with those mods and the Roush suspension. You cannot go wrong with any of the stuff you plan to do.

The '99 I had for 4.5 years had the same mods, except a 2lb pulley vs. 4lb pulley. The thing was super reliable, never in the shop, ran great, handled great, looked new when I sold it.

Just a point to say you will be very pleased and won't have to keep pouring $$ into the truck for repair bills once you're done.
Mods are a big decision,and thats what i wanted to here!I always take care of everything i own, and my L. is as close to me (almost) as my little daughter!Thanks!! :tu:

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
I would love to see a video clip of a 1/4 mile race! SRT vs. Lightning.Or just a 1/4 mile run of the SRT. :banana: Any one seen one?

Sixpipes
03-10-2005, 05:51 PM
One of our own.........................................

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9043&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=3

Beaudee
03-10-2005, 06:33 PM
That was great!Even gave him a head start!The dodge did have a good jump at the line though. :beer:

bobbywade69
03-10-2005, 06:36 PM
It was a bracket race that is why he jumped first!! Tom still chased him down and spanked him!!:tu: The SRT-10 makes me:vomit:

That was great!Even gave him a head start!The dodge did have a good jump at the line though. :beer:

02BOLT
03-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Just a little FYI in terms of flywheel -vs- RWHP. In a Lightning, G1 or G2, the drivetrain loss through the automatic O/D tranny is easily 20%. So if your L is making 390 HP at the wheels(chip, pulley, and filter), then she's actually seeing about 470 HP at the flywheel! The L, at 4600 lbs is only 30 HP behind the SRT-10, but when you factor in the weight of the SRT-10 at 5100 lbs:eek:, suddenly 500 HP doesn't sound so impressive. That's a 500 lb difference boys and girls. It's NO CONTEST!

Get that b!tch out of the hole, sit back and relax, with one hand on the wheel and a cool Dr. Pepper in the other, while he struggles to hit the gears, and smile as you CRACK HIS ASS!

So, to sum it up; In a race, Would you rather have 470 HP pulling 4600lbs, or 500 HP pulling 5100 lbs? I know which one I'd rather have!;)

Your buddies are in for quite a shock. Ask them for a friendly wager.:tu:

Beaudee
03-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Just a little FYI in terms of flywheel -vs- RWHP. In a Lightning, G1 or G2, the drivetrain loss through the automatic O/D tranny is easily 20%. So if your L is making 390 HP at the wheels(chip, pulley, and filter), then she's actually seeing about 470 HP at the flywheel! The L, at 4600 lbs is only 30 HP behind the SRT-10, but when you factor in the weight of the SRT-10 at 5100 lbs:eek:, suddenly 500 HP doesn't sound so impressive. That's a 500 lb difference boys and girls. It's NO CONTEST!

Get that b!tch out of the hole, sit back and relax, with one hand on the wheel and a cool Dr. Pepper in the other, while he struggles to hit the gears, and smile as you CRACK HIS ASS!

So, to sum it up; In a race, Would you rather have 470 HP pulling 4600lbs, or 500 HP pulling 5100 lbs? I know which one I'd rather have!;)

Your buddies are in for quite a shock. Ask them for a friendly wager.:tu:
How much $ for a #4 pulley,Terry tuner and a filter rig installed?When Terry tunes the L. is it a chip, or programmer or both?I would like him to do it,from what i here on this site and researched his feed back he is the man! :bows

Beaudee
03-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Shoot i had one more question.Is there a problem with state inspection with these mods?

Beaudee
03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Dang, one more question.Has anyone with these mods blown their engine?I have a lead foot!Am i right to say the warranty is no longer good also?When i bought my L.some SVT guys @ the dealer said if they mod the truck warranty is still good.I will still def. stick with Terry though. :tu:

WA 2 FST
03-11-2005, 02:04 PM
no problem with state inspections, and you can easily remove the mods in an afternoon if you're concerned about your warranty. The SCT tuner allows you to reflash back to the stock program within 5-6 minutes... and no sign of any intrusion into the computer. The pulley literally takes 20-30 minutes, including jacking up the truck. The CAI will not ever void the warranty. Same with the cat-back exhaust. They cannot void the warranty for that.

I also have an aftermarket valve body in my transmission. I highly recommend this, and chances are good if the trans blew Ford wouldn't give me a warranty on that. But IMHO it helps the life of the trans vs. adding lots of power and having a slow shifting stock transmission. Clutch slippage = heat = wear and tear on the trans.

r1eater
03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Are we talking from a dead stop, from a roll, with slicks, without?

From a 60mph your toast.

Beaudee
03-11-2005, 04:50 PM
no problem with state inspections, and you can easily remove the mods in an afternoon if you're concerned about your warranty. The SCT tuner allows you to reflash back to the stock program within 5-6 minutes... and no sign of any intrusion into the computer. The pulley literally takes 20-30 minutes, including jacking up the truck. The CAI will not ever void the warranty. Same with the cat-back exhaust. They cannot void the warranty for that.

I also have an aftermarket valve body in my transmission. I highly recommend this, and chances are good if the trans blew Ford wouldn't give me a warranty on that. But IMHO it helps the life of the trans vs. adding lots of power and having a slow shifting stock transmission. Clutch slippage = heat = wear and tear on the trans.
Does Performance Research install this trans. valve body?Is it basically a shift kit?Im not very in on transmisions.

Beaudee
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM

From a 60mph your toast.
Probally be from a dead stop street race, or any way i can get him.Some of the clowns i work with think the basic hemi will beat a L. :rll:

bobbywade69
03-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Not at all!!! Been there done that!!! 60mph he still doesn't have a chance!The SRT-10 can't beat a L at 60 punch! :D

From a 60mph your toast.

bobbywade69
03-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Get Terry to give you the (Scott Tune) and you don't have to worry, Terry has good tunes ones that don't blow motors, but they are only as good as the driver don't go driving around on your race tune and racing on your winter tune in the summer you will be in the safe. I"m running all those mods and then some for 2 years now and no problems and trust me a have a lead foot ask anyone!:D :tu:

Dang, one more question.Has anyone with these mods blown their engine?I have a lead foot!Am i right to say the warranty is no longer good also?When i bought my L.some SVT guys @ the dealer said if they mod the truck warranty is still good.I will still def. stick with Terry though. :tu:

Alpine
03-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I dont think so.:nono: I raced one from a 70 roll and destroyed one. 4 lengths at 120mph. Have you raced one and been beat from a 60 punch? Where are you getting your facts from?

From a 60mph your toast.

00Bolt
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
i 2nd that FVTB... go with 4lb, SCT programmer (not a chip), PR WILD exhaust, air filter and ftvb and your sitting pretty good. The cool thing about the SCT is Terry can put 3 tunes (4 including stock) on there.. so you can have a cold weather, warm weather and race (100+ octane)... so throw that hoe on warm weather and with 4lb your prolly close to 390rhp.... and in case of warrany risk, like Wes said... the chip can be taken off pretty quickly, and the SCT is undetectable...

and if you are going to Terry, do not mention my name, thats not gonna do you ANY good :o

bobbywade69
03-11-2005, 06:44 PM
:rll: :rll: :rll: Thats funny Shiot!!! Yea he'll charge you double if you do and give you Scott Tunes:tu: :nono:

i 2nd that FVTB... go with 4lb, SCT programmer (not a chip), PR WILD exhaust, air filter and ftvb and your sitting pretty good. The cool thing about the SCT is Terry can put 3 tunes (4 including stock) on there.. so you can have a cold weather, warm weather and race (100+ octane)... so throw that hoe on warm weather and with 4lb your prolly close to 390rhp.... and in case of warrany risk, like Wes said... the chip can be taken off pretty quickly, and the SCT is undetectable...

and if you are going to Terry, do not mention my name, thats not gonna do you ANY good :o

Lightning Dude
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Most of us just have to show up............:cool:

On some other forums I check out, one member who went to the track saw a SRT-10 ram driver that was so bad only got high 14s to low 15s 1/4mi.

Tex Arcana
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
One of our own.........................................

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9043&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=3
Where's the one where he smacked him straight up??

Tex Arcana
03-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Just a little FYI in terms of flywheel -vs- RWHP. In a Lightning, G1 or G2, the drivetrain loss through the automatic O/D tranny is easily 20%.
Ford's "official" numbers is 18%, fyi. :tu:

003slvr
03-25-2005, 06:06 PM
I have had a chance to Drive both SRT-10 single and quad cab. To be honest with you I would be surprised if it could beat one of the stock Dodge Diesels. Its much nicer driving the quad with the Auto Trans but that thing weighs a **** load. Off the line both struggle but on the hwy after about 110-120 these trucks pull their asses off atleast to 145 thats when I got out of it. They both had less the 10 miles on them so maybe the will get better as they break in but I wouldn't count on it. I hate listening to my customers brag about this truck and how its so much faster then a lightning, but the customers always right and I just smile as I over charge them. :evil I have owned 2 lightnings and they are faster then srt-10's but the SRT-10 is a cool truck in its own way and dodge people dont mind spending that money for them. In conclusion lets spend less time talking about it and get out there and find out first hand. Its ok to lose that just makes you want to go faster, and spend more money, its just a never ending battle and I love it. :)

BLACKSUNSHINE
03-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Ford's "official" numbers is 18%, fyi. :tu:

Cool, so im like close to 500 flywheel HP...No wonder I spanked an srt-10 on the freeway. It was a brand new SRT-10 I spent forever waiting on the right time to get next to him and floor it. I was behind him, got next to him stayed with him and pulled away from him at 115..by 135 he was 5 cars behind....then he got all pissed off and exited.

Tex Arcana
03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
In conclusion lets spend less time talking about it and get out there and find out first hand. :)
I'd love to, but I have yet to see one going the same way I'm going to find out. I've seen maybe 3 since they hit the road, and they were all going the wrong way to run 'em. I think they're scared to run, so they can brag all day long without proof. :d

BC Lightning
03-26-2005, 05:06 PM
I have owned 2 lightnings and they are faster then srt-10's but the SRT-10 is a cool truck in its own way and dodge people dont mind spending that money for them. In conclusion lets spend less time talking about it and get out there and find out first hand. Its ok to lose that just makes you want to go faster, and spend more money, its just a never ending battle and I love it. :)

When looking around for another vehicle last June I got to test drive a black SRT-10, and your right they are a cool truck in their own way. I like the push button start, 6-spped, stock 500 watt infinity sound system, and the overall looks. They definately were made and set up for the person who wants to spend more for the name and not mod it to make it faster. There are a few who want/can mod them, but from the people I have talked to, they bought it just cause it's a viper truck :rolleyes: . There are those who I have talked to that do acknowledge that stock to stock the Lightning does beat the SRT-10, except for top end. And for the most part they are like us, they give credit where credit is do. Then you meet the viper guys who think their s*** don't stink and then they get owned by a $20,000 less truck with less power :rll: .

Tex Arcana
03-30-2005, 02:16 PM
When looking around for another vehicle last June I got to test drive a black SRT-10, and your right they are a cool truck in their own way. I like the push button start, 6-spped, stock 500 watt infinity sound system, and the overall looks. They definately were made and set up for the person who wants to spend more for the name and not mod it to make it faster. There are a few who want/can mod them, but from the people I have talked to, they bought it just cause it's a viper truck :rolleyes: . There are those who I have talked to that do acknowledge that stock to stock the Lightning does beat the SRT-10, except for top end. And for the most part they are like us, they give credit where credit is do. Then you meet the viper guys who think their s*** don't stink and then they get owned by a $20,000 less truck with less power :rll: .

Hey, I've been wanting to run my truck at the Texas Mile... maybe we can get a stock SRT-10, and run it as well, and see how well the tonneau cover helps the L's aerodynamics... :burnout: :d