PDA

View Full Version : Ported blowers

SpeedyBolt
03-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Well I took my blower off this weekend to clean the intercooler and found something BAD!!! The coating on my rotors in the blower is coming off! :eek2: I guess since I already have the blower off, and it going to have to be repaired anyway, I should send it off to be ported or buy a new one.

What all is done to the blower when they port it?
Do they do a complete re-build also?
Would it be better just to get a new one?

BTW. My intercooler looked like somebody had dipped it in a tar pit! It was horrible!

cpeapea
03-27-2005, 02:59 PM
my ported blower did chip shortly after having it ported. i was spinning it with a 6lb lower and a 2lb upper as well though, but over 10k before the port with a 6lb and no port and no chipping.

SpeedyBolt
03-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Who did the port job? What was chipping off?

rickgig
03-28-2005, 08:49 AM
This should be a good post. I've heard that the coating coming off is not a big deal and just to ignore since the rotors never actually touch. I've not been confortable with this information so I'd like to hear what said here.

Sixpipes
03-28-2005, 09:27 AM
The rotor coating is a teflon-like material. I had a rotor pack that I accidentally got some aircraft paint stripper on and it bubbled up just like paint. I know there are other rotor coatings available and the dark gray coating that I have seen Eaton use is suppose to be better because it is rough to the touch and supposedly "grabs" more air. My original rotor pack has 84K miles on it and is still in pretty good shape. It does have baked oil residue on the surface, but I don't think that hurts anything. As far as the porting goes, I have seen no additional wear on the rotor pack because of the porting job. I would suspect that any chipping of the coating is a result of damage to the rotor pack while it was out of the case. :cool:

SpeedyBolt
03-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I've heard people talk about the coatings coming off and stopping up thier intercooler so I think I'll just try and get it fixed. Wonder if this is included in the extended warranty I bought with the truck? :rolleyes:

SpeedyBolt
03-28-2005, 12:45 PM
What is the best ported blower out there? There was a long thread about ported blowers on svtperfomance about a place called Stiegemeier Engine Air Flow. Have any of you heard about this place. It seems that most places say about 30 hp gain from the port.

I think this is tier web site: www.stiegemeier.com

G'Lightning
03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
What is the best ported blower out there? There was a long thread about ported blowers on svtperfomance about a place called Stiegemeier Engine Air Flow. Have any of you heard about this place. It seems that most places say about 30 hp gain from the port.

I think this is tier web site: www.stiegemeier.com He used to do the port work for Apten...he just went out on his own. I have heard good things about his ports and Mark's @LFP.

WA 2 FST
03-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Personally, I'd get a ported blower before a KB. I know several guys here have had good luck with the KBs, but there are also a _number_ of examples of them locking up/spewing oil...and these are not old/abused units.

Stiegmeier is proven.

SpeedyBolt
03-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Personally, I'd get a ported blower before a KB. I know several guys here have had good luck with the KBs, but there are also a _number_ of examples of them locking up/spewing oil...and these are not old/abused units.

Stiegmeier is proven.

I was wondering something along those same lines. If a magnum powers blower uses the rotors out of the eaton, what is the differance between that and a ported eaton? Seems like it would be the same thing for about 1/4 the price! I really want a Whipple but I just can't get one yet! I've gotta wait to see that new Cobra first! :D

cpeapea
03-29-2005, 04:11 PM
mine started flaking after my stagmeier (apten) port

i wouldnt say the ported eaton is proven just yet. just because im still not totally convinced that the cases dont flex (imo).

the magnum is better imo. simply because porting an eaton is similar to regrinding a cam shaft. yes you can do it but you can only do so much with the material that is already there. the magnum on the other hand is casted from a new. there is much more to a blower than just the rotor packs. much more potential in a magnum. ive seen people puch 22lbs in one, i havent quite seen that in a ported eaton, although boost is relative.

or maybe im retarded:banana:

dboat
03-29-2005, 07:25 PM
I am considering the Apten.. just because I am not racing and its the best bang for your buck.. I havent heard of any other problems though, I havent paid a whole lot of attention to any other forum except this one.
Dana

PoorSvtman
03-29-2005, 07:40 PM
all the research ive done on the rotors flaking is that in 99-00 they used a different teflon stuff, in 01+ its different and seems to flake more, A cheap fix is to just strip it all off or go with the cobra rotors..