PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil?

my2002lightning
04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Just curious - what's recommended at the 30K mileage change? I know it's the Mercon ATF fluid, but I'm looking at staying synthetic...say Mobil 1 or RP, at the very least.

I'm running RP 5w-20 currently in the engine, but since Mobil 1 is offering 5w-20, I was thinking about going M1 throughout.

But, it's a b#tch tracking M1 ATF down by the case. The local outfit here in Frisco offers RP ATF by the drum and can flush the trans. and not drop the pan for $160~ - this is with unlimited drums of RP oily-goodness until it flushes clear.

I'm just trying to treat the L to the best fluids and minimize the PITA factor.

Thanks,

Ronald

98Cobra
04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
I didn't know flushing/changing the trans fluid was recommended at 30K miles. That seems really low....

Sandman
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
When I change the tranny fluid, I also change the transmission filter. You have to drop the pan for that.

Also, the tranny fluid and filter are recommended to be changed every 30K by Ford.

SILVER2000SVT
04-11-2005, 05:35 PM
After swapping tranny several times in the last few months, I would recommend going back with the stock fluid. After paying almost $100 a pop, I really started to rethink the value of putting in the expensive synthetic. Mobile 1 ATF is great for a little extra piece of mind if you want to spend $5/quart times about 19 quarts for a full flush. But the Ford fluid is highly recommended from what I've read and that's what I went back with this time. I couldn't find the Ford fluid anywhere except at the dealer, but it wasn't too bad at $1.89/quart paying dealer prices.

Unless you just have a whole lot of trash in your transmission I don't think it necessary to change the filter every time. Of course you won't know until you pull the pan, so for an extra $15 bucks you can throw a new one in.

To flush, I just emptied the pan, and refilled with fresh fluid. Then I disconnected the rear coolant line at the transmission and put a bucket under it. I would crank the truck and let it idle until I got about a gallon and then I would put more fluid in it, and I kept repeating that until I used all the fluid. Then hook the line back up. It went a lot cheaper, easier, and faster than the time I took it to the quick lube when I first got my truck and they used their "special machine" for the flush for $75. And I didn't have to worry about a teenager kinking my coolant line going to the radiator.

99WhiteBeast
04-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Motorcraft and filter every 25-30k and you'll be fine.

86K and still going

dboat
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I took mine to Terry and had him do the Mobil 1 thing.. peace of mind is a good thing.
Dana

my2002lightning
04-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Hmm... I've been speaking with Bob Tomes / Bankston-Frisco SVT Svc. people and even Tex's Svc. writer hookup. They're all telling me that it's not actually a "filter", but a screen and that a flush is all that is needed, fyi.

Since my local oil-change place doesn't stock the Mobil synthetic ATF, but the RP syn., I'm thinking about going with RP and keep it all consistent.:cool:

Yes, Garett... 30K and 60K tran. fluid changes per Ford/SVT. RTFM! :D

Ronald

Sandman
04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
The filter is cheap. If the old fluid is coming out, then its a simple 10 minute job to drop the pan and replace the filter. I clean the magnet also, though alot of people throw it away.

Tex Arcana
04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
So what'd you end up doing? :beer:

my2002lightning
04-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Ended up going RP Mercon flush at my Frisco RP hook-up and the 30K once-over at Bob Tomes incl. fuel-filter change, turned the rotors with new pads on the front, flushed/changed the radiator coolant and rotated tires.

Turns out Bankston needs to tweek my front-end alignment slightly as the front's are feathering slightly only on the insides.

My Svc. Writer at Bob Tomes commented on how my IC fluid was tip-top and hadn't leaked a bit. :cool:

My RP guy here in Frisco gave me a freebie quart of RP Purple Ice that is supposed to keep the engine coolant even cooler than the Ford product. http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html

Evidently, it even works equally well in the IC system, too. :cool:

Any experiences/thoughts on it?

Tex Arcana
04-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Ended up going RP Mercon flush at my Frisco RP hook-up and the 30K once-over at Bob Tomes incl. fuel-filter change, turned the rotors with new pads on the front, flushed/changed the radiator coolant and rotated tires.

Turns out Bankston needs to tweek my front-end alignment slightly as the front's are feathering slightly only on the insides.

My Svc. Writer at Bob Tomes commented on how my IC fluid was tip-top and hadn't leaked a bit. :cool:

My RP guy here in Frisco gave me a freebie quart of RP Purple Ice that is supposed to keep the engine coolant even cooler than the Ford product. http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/prpice.html

Evidently, it even works equally well in the IC system, too. :cool:

Any experiences/thoughts on it?

How many miles since your last rotation? Some negative camber is normal and okay, which contributes to the inner-edge wear. Just rotate front-to-back, and on the *next* one, swap the tires from right-to-left by popping the off the rims and switching them.

No idea on the collant stuff, but if it actually works without gumming up the system, I'm into it. :tu:

Mark #2
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm

dboat
04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/redtech3.htm

Yep, thats what I put in mine. :tu:

Racingki
08-06-2005, 03:21 PM
I had my tranny flushed and put in mobil1 ATF and now my truck doesn't shift as hard into gears. Also when i'm on it it will go into the red and will take a se to shift. My truck only has 40k on it and it's a 99. tempted to take all that i spent on synthetic and go back to the ford stuff or try B&M trick Shift.

dboat
08-06-2005, 03:55 PM
I had my tranny flushed and put in mobil1 ATF and now my truck doesn't shift as hard into gears. Also when i'm on it it will go into the red and will take a se to shift. My truck only has 40k on it and it's a 99. tempted to take all that i spent on synthetic and go back to the ford stuff or try B&M trick Shift.

I doubt that its the M1.. I have it in mine and no such problem exists.. in fact, I use M1 everywhere I can in my vehicles.
Dana

Mark #2
08-06-2005, 04:07 PM

I know is too late now, but most recommend that you do not flush the new electronic transmissions. I know the Kwik Kar and the Pensoil shops near me have abandoned this practive because of complaints after performing the service.
I would remove the pan and drain, clean out the pan and refill.
Mark

dboat
08-07-2005, 05:37 AM
I know is too late now, but most recommend that you do not flush the new electronic transmissions. I know the Kwik Kar and the Pensoil shops near me have abandoned this practive because of complaints after performing the service.
I would remove the pan and drain, clean out the pan and refill.
Mark

So are you recommending staying with stock type fluid or M1? and will the drain, clean the pan and refill fix Racingki's problem?
Dana