PDA

View Full Version : Desperate need of stock cat-pipe

KJ94GT
09-04-2002, 04:46 PM
My stock cat pipe is toast. The stock cats are falling apart on the inside, and Ford normally warranties these for 8 years/80k miles. But, since the jackass who installed the Bassani shorty headers had to knock a dimple in one of the cats so the headers would fit, Ford will not warranty them anymore, even though it's another cat that is falling apart. Anyone have their stock catpipe laying around that they wouldn't mind selling, cheap? PM or Email me (ponylover94@hotmail.com) ASAP.

blueoval01
09-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Hummm, Terry might have one laying around. Mine went into the dumpster after the MagnaFlow install ....

L8 APEX
09-04-2002, 06:55 PM
No that was your muffler. The cat pipe is forward of that. I have a take off but the customer want to keep it. I bet they are pri$ey. Why not replace it with a Bassani cat section or build your own?

KJ94GT
09-04-2002, 08:10 PM
Well, I wanna leave it otherwise stock as long as possible till the extended warranty expires. And, I figured I could snag a stock one from someone for cheap.

L8 APEX
09-04-2002, 09:36 PM
The rear cats are the only ones you need. You can gut or replace the fronts with pipe and if the rears are damaged you can replace them with hi-flows for 100 bucks a side or so... Let me know if I can help. Stock pipes are probably 300 a side or more $$.

KJ94GT
09-04-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
The rear cats are the only ones you need. You can gut or replace the fronts with pipe and if the rears are damaged you can replace them with hi-flows for 100 bucks a side or so... Let me know if I can help. Stock pipes are probably 300 a side or more $$.

Well, like I said, I'm trying to keep most of it stock for the friggin warranty. How can you help? Do you run an exhaust shop?

L8 APEX
09-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Yeah I can get about anything done. Send me an email or call me tomorrow. If it is as you describe I can probably get it covered under warranty ;) Then again I have not seen any stock cats come loose. Who installed the headers, has anyone dropped the system down?

KJ94GT
09-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Check your PMs, L8 Apex

blueoval01
09-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
No that was your muffler. The cat pipe is forward of that..........

Silver_2000
09-05-2002, 02:12 PM
THe cats should be warrantied since it is illlegal to make ANY changes to them prior to 50,000 miles.. Not sure of the details but emissions should be a no questions asked warranty

Doug

KJ94GT
09-05-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_;)!
THe cats should be warrantied since it is illlegal to make ANY changes to them prior to 50,000 miles.. Not sure of the details but emissions should be a no questions asked warranty

Doug

I thought the same thing.. but since there is a dent due to the header install, they won't honor it at all, or so says the dealership. It's funny, because the dented cat isn't the one that's falling apart!

L8 APEX
09-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Just got off the phone with my warranty power team. Their powers are weakend today. Ford sent a memo across the board calling for close inspections and all factory parts to be returned for inspection:crying: Chevy did this a few months ago when money got tight and the economy turned down. Warranty is a huge part of their operating budgets. They have been denying claims they used to cover in the past to keep customers happy. Since the headers are ahead of the cats they will not cover it due to higher flow, leaning, heat etc. However, I asked about cat failures and they are very rare for Fords. This raises even my suspisions about abuse or whatnot. I don't know this truck's history either being used from CA. The pipes could have been dropped during install, shaken, driven down bad roads daily, splashed with cold water, chip or pulley could make them run too hot. So it may be aftermarket time. Ask Dennis or a few others what they think about their aftermarket warranties:throw:

KJ94GT
09-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Ugh... not cool. I guess I'll see what I can do. Anyone got a stocker for sale? :D

1BADTK
09-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Last conversation I had with Jim at FFW in Houston, he had quite a few just alying around in a storage barn or something. GDBY-55 Keith down here in Houston just took his off for the JDM longtube setup.
Check with him over on the HALO forum.

KJ94GT
09-05-2002, 08:23 PM
PM sent, thanks 1BADTK.