PDA

View Full Version : For 99 Lightning owners

Sixpipes
09-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Did you know that there were two different CUX-1 computers for the first model year Lightning? I asked fordpartsonline to quote me a price for my truck and this was their response.

The number should include "12A650", but should have a prefix and suffix. Or, can you give us the calibration number (on a label under the hood) or the VIN number for your Lightning? We want to make sure we quote the correct one and there is 2 different computers for the '99 Lightning with the CUX-1 designation.

andy_cain
09-04-2002, 09:35 PM
If you pull your PCM out you will see the number.
Both of mine show:
XL3F-12A650-AGB
It is Stamped on the on the white label on both the grey plastic conector piece that houses the pins and the plastic black cap that covers the chip opening has XL3F-AGB on it as well:beer:
Any way to check your Six ???

Sixpipes
09-04-2002, 09:45 PM
Mine is probably still hanging on HIHOAG's back fence. :D

andy_cain
09-04-2002, 09:51 PM
I PM'd ya with my cell #
Give me a shout and let me know if its a match for Go-Rilla.
Wayne:tu:
Turning the Puter off for the night but will be up for a while

1BADTK
09-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Won't do you any good, the number he is talking about is the part number for the pcm, not the CUX-1 programing which is history and not even available from Ford any more. Get your 99 pcm reflashed and it will have the latest CNX-1 programing and your performance chip is toast, and will need to be reburned to work with the new programing.
Leave it to Ford......................

andy_cain
09-05-2002, 09:45 PM
This is true...unless you have an originoal CUX1 PCM:beer:

1BADTK
09-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Yep, I have 2 just in case........

Sixpipes
09-06-2002, 03:00 PM
Andre,

Got a question regarding reflashing. I talked to a service guy at John Eagle today and he indicated that when the PCM is unplugged, it defaults back to the original program which is CUX-1. That means when I take it out and put it back in, my chip should work. I don't necessarily agree with this, but it makes sense. We're talking software here, not hardware.

If not, that means any "upgrade" that Ford flashes into the PCM could potentially deem the chip burned for the previous program useless. I have never heard of Lightning owners complaining about this before. So what is the real story? Can Ford actually void your chips ability to run the truck by reflashing the PCM? Evidently, the answer is yes. What I don't understand is, why is the reflashing permanent and why does the PCM not default back to the original computer program. Basically, I am left with a PCM that is labeled CUX-1 that is not a CUX-1. It appears that Ford should at least update the PCM with the appropriate sticker, replacing the CUX-1 with a CUX-2, CNX-1, or whatever. :cool:

Mark #2
09-06-2002, 03:40 PM
6er,
See
http://www.howstuffworks.com/flash-memory1.htm

Summary: no power required to maintain flash memory setting
It will not reset, it has to be over written to change it.

Also see:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/bios1.htm
Look at the picture, look familiar.

Mark

Sixpipes
09-06-2002, 03:46 PM
So the John Eagle guy is as clueless as me. Somehow I don't take a lot of comfort in that. So has anyone else's chip myteriously quite working after a trip to the Ford house? :cool:

Silver_2000
09-06-2002, 04:03 PM
I had heard that for 99 CUX2 ( the 2000 program ) was the upgrade since they both have 355 gears and the 80 mm mass air BUT that the 2001 and 2002 computers are NOT compatible and in fact many of the tuners and guys running built motors have gone back to cux2 computers to avoid 5 volt problems...

Doug

MadMax
09-06-2002, 07:44 PM
What dealership actually performs a "reflash" on an EEPROM?(Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) If the program returned to default on removal of electrical power ie. 13.8VDC converted to +/- 5VDC (TTL Logic) this would be necessary. CUX-1/CNX-1/CUX-2 programming are set in stone. But since EEPROM's require no dynamic refresh this is not necessary. Texan Ford removes/replaces defective PCM's. The only programming I am aware of is PATS to correctly code the key. If program upgrades are available to control engine function and parameters what TSR's if any are written? Remove/Replace and code for PATS. Someone prove me wrong here. :D jw

NOTE: Last week I e-mailed Raymond B. due to his apparent expertise in EEC-IV, V Programming issues. Due to the fact that I am not a know-it-all or something...... :crying:

Raymond_B
09-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Hi all, the dealer can reflash a PCM, either with an SBDS or NGS. They have the EEC-V calibrations on CD and can choose which one to flash a processor with, within hardware limits. CUX1, 2, etc are calibration codes and reference the calibration data, stuff like a mass air meter's transfer function (airflow vs voltage) or spark tables. Sometimes just the calibration data changes among codes, other times the addresses of the calibration data change and so does the executable code in-between. That's why chip's are PCM specific and why a dealer reflash could render your chip inoperable if the catch code changes. It is also why Ford's are so hard to decode, you have to figure out what is data (like spark, fuel, etc) and what is the programming.

An EEC-V PCM will not lose anything when removed from power, that guy at the dealership might have been thinking about adaptive learning, but definitely not flash memory.

MadMax
09-09-2002, 12:14 AM
Raymond, Glad you could find your way here. Thanks for getting involved :D There seems to be alot of mis-information even at the dealer level :rolleyes:

What is your recommendation for reading on EEC subject matter?

:D

Raymond_B
09-09-2002, 12:29 AM
I've been meaning to come over and register forever, being that I live in Fort Worth :)

Unfortunately there is no real literature on Ford computers. The stuff is highly proprietary and they try their best to keep nosey types out. Any info is "aquired" or just plain hacked and reversed engineered. So it would be hella trouble for someone to put it in printed form and sell it.