PDA

View Full Version : Noise under hood from trans filter

rickgig
04-24-2005, 07:26 PM
I recently posted about my intercooler pump and one of the symptoms was a buzzing/huming noise from under the front of the truck...

Terry suggested beating on the pump and sure enough it worked. But the noise was still there.

I had my tranny replaced under warranty (50k miles ago) and when a dealer does this they put an in-line fluid filter on the return line from the cooler to the tranny. This sounds strange but... the noise that I thought was coming from the pump is coming from the filter!

So... does anyone know of this is some type of warning mechanism? I'm going to get a replacement since it's only attached with hose clamps... but if this is a sign of something else wrong I thought I'd see if y'all got any ideas!

Beaudee
04-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Could be a bypass valve in filter housing if it has one, or a filter not rated for proper flow.Maybe even a dirty one.

rickgig
04-25-2005, 08:04 AM
I am thinking the same thing... I'll head to an AutoZone and see if they have a filter or get one from Ford. I guess I should put the same type back on it.

I was hoping that somebody with in depth knowledge on transmissions would reply. I guess I go ask Greg of monster box fame.

Beaudee
04-25-2005, 01:54 PM
You could do the ACDC again! :d Just kidden! I change a bunch of filters @ work and have seen similar on hydraulic systems.A filter in the wrong place, and wrong size can do more harm than good. :tu:

rickgig
04-25-2005, 06:13 PM
You know... when I am focused on the truck... ACDC just went over my head! Glad you remembered it!

I am pretty sure it's the correct filter... they typically come with the replacement transmission when Ford replaces one.

I did post a not for Greg Evans earlier today. No reply as of yet.

The fluid looks okay and smells like 50 thousand mile stuff (not burnt). I'd just like to know what may be wrong or what the noise is trying to tell me.