PDA

View Full Version : I finally got another L

RCrown2
04-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Yep, picked up an '02 Silver w/ 28k miles. All stock and runs great. Now I need to get some performance mods on this thing. I want to do things right, since I just slapped crap on there last time. Can you guys give me a good tip on what kind of computer tuning I should use? I like those predator hand held devices that flash your computer through a port, is that recommended by you guys or should I go with a jdm flip chip or something? I won't mess with the pulleys right now, I just want the computer, intake and exhaust to hold me off for a while. Then I will get some supporting mods like the heat exchanger and tranny cooler before I add anymore power. Any suggestions are welcome. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

RC

RCrown2
04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Also, I was wanting tips on what brand of intake and exhaust. I had bassani before, but I don't know if I want to pay that much again. How do you guys like Borla? Also, I had the Airaid intake, but I am thinking on the K&N FIPK now. Suggestions? Thoughts? Please.

BC Lightning
04-26-2005, 07:37 PM
www.performanceresearchonline.com (http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/)

Terry has everything and does an awesome install.

Most common mods are filter, chip/SCT tuner, valve body, and pulley (4#) and magna flow mild/wild catback exhaust from Performance Research. I would say those would give you the most bang for your buck, and Terry should have them all in stock

bluesvt
04-26-2005, 07:39 PM
for exhaust im running x-pipe no mufflers and paid $325. if u like it loud like me thats a good way to go plus i felt it added more torque also running air raid right now and i like it along with a chip (sct) and a safe tune im still getting 360rwhp and 407 lbs ft torque and 17% humid and 84 degrees. my 2 cents. good luck :beer:

BC Lightning
04-26-2005, 07:46 PM
one of the problems with chips is that its easy for dealers to spot tampering in the computer because you have to rub the film/ gunk off the port you stick the chip on, i'd say spend the money on an SCT tuner

:ron:
Back in November of 2002 I was racing (19 at the time) a silver stock Lightning on 35 heading north. well it was about 40 degrees outside and I blew the motor. It was like a fireworks show under my truck. Well I took out the single program blue chip tuned by Lonestar Performance (:vomit: ), removed the pulley, and got a call from the dealership the next day (before I learned of PR and Terry) saying my warranty was voided because the CPU had been tampered with and that the SVT techs can tell it had a chip on it. 8,000 later I had another motor.

With the tuner going into the PCM port it makes it easier to get everything back to stock for warranty purposes. Also don't go WOT at 100mph+ on cold nights

bluesvt
04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
well f*** i hope my connection at payton wright can help me if anything goes wrong then. my former @$$ of a boss said they cant tell there was a chip even though that gunk is gone and i had a feeling he was speaking from his @$$ :flaming: . i believe the tuner is like $100 cheaper than the chip too but i may be mistaken.

SpeedyBolt
04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
for exhaust im running x-pipe no mufflers and paid $325.

I've often wondered what that would sound like. Is there any way you can link a sound file? What kind of x-pipe are you running?

RCrown2
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Well, thanks for your comments and suggestions guys. I will most likely go with the sct tuner. I actually don't want anything too loud, I've had enough of that with previous cars. Has anyone heard the borla system? I wonder how an x-pipe and the borla system would sound/perform. I had the 4# pulley on my old L, I love the extra whine that you get out of it. I have always wanted to have the 6# on there though, but I have heard a lot of negative comments on using that as a daily driver. I am familiar with Terry over at PR, I used to order some things from him, but since I'm not really that close, it is hard to have him install anything for me. I figure I would just get the stuff and use the shop and the dealership I work out to instal it all. There are some ex ford techs there who are pretty cool.

Thanks,

RC

bluesvt
04-26-2005, 10:12 PM
magnaflow i believe. i dont have any sound clips of it. i do have it at the track but i dont have the software to put it on my comp. sorry rc to get off topic :hammer:

my2002lightning
04-26-2005, 10:20 PM
RC,

Congrats on the '02 L! knana

Why are you thinking about something other than Air-Raid? I had the open cone filter (after the stock air-box) before on my stock '02 L and prefer the Air-Raid, overall.

Also, check out my L in the PR/Lightning/exhaust section. :D
http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/videos/BigMouth.mpeg

Tex Arcana
04-27-2005, 12:47 PM
RC,

Congrats on the '02 L! knana

Why are you thinking about something other than Air-Raid? I had the open cone filter (after the stock air-box) before on my stock '02 L and prefer the Air-Raid, overall.

Also, check out my L in the PR/Lightning/exhaust section. :D
http://www.performanceresearchonline.com/videos/BigMouth.mpeg

Yeah, he gave it to me, thinking it would slow me down.. :d Well, Ronaldo, I took the effer off and went back to my stock box. :tongue:

RCrown2
04-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Can anyone give me any info. on the Borla system? I am looking for a nice grumble but not a lot of drone when on the highway. I appreciate the help so far guys.

RC

Tex Arcana
04-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Can anyone give me any info. on the Borla system? I am looking for a nice grumble but not a lot of drone when on the highway. I appreciate the help so far guys.

RC

I haven't heard any Borlas on our Ls, but I hear that Bassani sounds great. You might hit NLOC and see if anyone there has what you're looking for.

BC Lightning
04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
adam has bassani on his, sounds pretty good, i too haven't heard of any borla on a L

StormShadow
04-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Come to the meeting Thursday and you can hear my truck.

BTW I have heard borla before and its pretty quiet.

RCrown2
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, I had Bassani on my other L, and I loved the sound. I just didn't want to have to pay so much again. I would love to come to the meeting, but I am too far away and I am about to be taking finals. Thanks for your help though guys.

RC

dboat
04-28-2005, 08:47 PM
I went with Terry's mild exhaust and couldnt be happier. nice tone and no drone. He promised no drone and delivered :tu:

Dana