PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problems

SVTLightning50
04-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Anyone else been through 2 motors in less than a year.Friday night on the way to the trackjust cruising at 80 the damn motor threw a rod right through the side of the block for the second time has anyone else had this problem or can you tell me why this is happening?
Mods:4#,2.8upper,C&l true flow intake,superchips programmer,magnaflow exhaust,NGK TR6.If someone knows whats going wrong or can help in any way please let me know cause im getting tired of losing my truck for a month to let it sit at ford.

Beaudee
04-30-2005, 10:47 AM
What was the engine timing you were running with the programmer?

Tex Arcana
04-30-2005, 11:43 AM
holy moly... pics, stat!! :eek2:

SVTLightning50
04-30-2005, 11:48 AM
As far as the engine timing im not sure it is a custom program from superchips.And pics I dont have but would like to take some due to the fact that the rod is pushed through the side of the block.How it happend i dont know.But will try to get some pics when i go back to ford.Have you heard of anyone having this problem?

Beaudee
04-30-2005, 11:53 AM
There was a thread about 3 weeks ago that might help.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8116&highlight=tunes

BC Lightning
05-01-2005, 01:00 AM
I know when I threw 4 rods out the side it was cause I had a bad tune, 40 degrees outside, overdrive was off, and I was at about 120mph on I35, biatch went KABOOM

as far as the mods and the "speed" you were going, I'd say bad tune, was it a mail order tune?

BC Lightning
05-01-2005, 01:03 AM
cruising at 80 the damn motor threw a rod right through the side of the block

I'm sorry but to throw a rod you have to be doing more than just "cruising", the only people I have ever heard of, myself included, throwing rods is when people are hauling ass on the highway

roddz170
05-01-2005, 09:03 AM
You didn't use the same chip/burn, from the first motor did ya? Or get the burn by the same people?

99WhiteBeast
05-01-2005, 12:24 PM
As far as the engine timing im not sure it is a custom program from superchips.

Don't put a tune on your truck if you don't know what its doing (i.e. timing and fuel) and if you do put a tune on go to the dyno ASAP to see what your A/F (air to fuel ration is) to make sure you are safe before pushing it.

There are pleanty of people that run or have ran a 4lb lower and 2.8 upper for thousands of miles because they have a safe tune.

BC Lightning
05-01-2005, 04:23 PM
so far so good with my 6# and 2.8 upper:d

BLACKSUNSHINE
05-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I dont know either im lucky or just driving a ticking bomb, But I have a mail order tunre on my predator from RPM outlet. A/F is perfect, and timing is safe. 6#, long tube's, and all the other cool mods...Ive gone over 140 on it with overdrive on, and NO booom....YET. :banana:

L8 APEX
05-02-2005, 07:33 PM
There are serveral factors. Going back in with another stock motor is not a good idea for a modded truck. They almost always cost more than a built motor. I just built one for a customer where the dealer quoted him 7200 for a new stock engine installed. We did a fully forged built motor for 5800 since he broke the block. Another cusotmer went through two stock motors, one internet special built motor, and finally came to me for a correct engine. This was an 03 with only 10K miles.

1)Engine builder, parts. Stock engine
2)Computer tune, was it dynoed or just mail ordered?
3) Installer? Did they do a proper cleanout of the old blowup.

iansvtaz
05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Without knowing who built the motor, here is my input.....
1) Some factory motors were known for not having the wrist pins installed in the pistons.
2) original intercooler leaked antifreeze in the motor.
3) bad tune
4) failed oil system
5) too tight of tolerances in the blocks machining.
Give a little more info on the motor and I will see if I can figue something out.

SVTLightning50
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
The head mechanic at five star ford was the one that built the motor since it is under warranty.And the tune is the HP4 tune that superchips has as there high performance tune that is supposed to be ok.(From what i was told).When the motor was installed everything was new,block supercharger everything.So i dont know if its because of the tune or what but the motor only had 17000 miles on it.And now ford is trying to give me hell and is taking ther sweet a$$ time in telling me when they are going to fix.They said they havent had any problems like this before.

L8 APEX
05-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I have never seen Ford allow the dealer to build a replacemant engine. Only to install a tested and approved reman'd part from the plant.. Superchips tunes are aggressive BUT essentially no tune will blow a motor at cruise part throttle. The engine has to be under a lot of stress to break a rod and go out the block. There should have been signs of it going south.

SVTLightning50
05-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Could the 2.8upper be the cause of the problem?Ford is starting to ?

L8 APEX
05-05-2005, 08:42 PM
If you sent it in there with any visible mods they can void it. One customer sent his blown motor in all stock but the upper had a scratch on it where it was removed and installed. Even though it was the original pulley they said it had been swapped and voided his claim. If they void it I can build you a forged motor cheaper than a new Ford engine:tu:

L8 APEX
05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Top things they look for are

1) Scraped contacts on PCM
2) blower pulleys upper or lower
3) exhaust mods muffler, cats, headers
Any of those three us usually a guaranteed NO from Ford..

SpeedyBolt
05-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Damn, I wouldn't think that a cat-back would void your warranty. Wouldn't that lower your boost?
I think that they have to prove that the part installed is was in turn caused the blown motor.

L8 APEX
05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
The Masesy Furgueson act says so but Ford more or less dares Joe Shmo to take them to court over it and dare win:evil . I have seen several dealers void stuff without proof. BUT it was warranted 99% of the time. We need to realize when we take it away from stock we pretty much own it. There are a lot of warranty claims draining Fords pockets that are not their fault. I have only heard of about two STOCK engines being replaced ever. All the rest were modded and snuck by Ford for waranty. Heck even I tried to get a free motor when mine blew up. They couldn't prove anything but said there was too much damage for stock power and voided the claim. So I bit the bullet and put another 14grand into the truck. Then three months later my new JDM motor took a crap and I pulled it out again and paid 3200 to get it fixed again. The price you pay ot play.

L8 APEX
05-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Damn, I wouldn't think that a cat-back would void your warranty. Wouldn't that lower your boost?
I think that they have to prove that the part installed is was in turn caused the blown motor.
The dealer couldn't fix AggieMom's "EGR flutter" noise so they blamed it on her Magnaflow muffler. They told her to pay and have the stock muffler back on and bring it back for more testing. Essentially telling her to screw off because they can't fix it and wanted to blame it on the muffler. They said it has changed the exhaust gas flow rate and is making the EGR flutter:hammer: .

Tex Arcana
05-06-2005, 02:20 PM
If you sent it in there with any visible mods they can void it. One customer sent his blown motor in all stock but the upper had a scratch on it where it was removed and installed. Even though it was the original pulley they said it had been swapped and voided his claim. If they void it I can build you a forged motor cheaper than a new Ford engine:tu:
How much is it?

SVTLightning50
05-06-2005, 07:00 PM
When the motor had blown originally all the current mods were one there and they transferred them over and warranty the motor for 3yrs 36,000 miles knowing that those parts were on there.But if they do fix it what do I need to do to keep this from happening again as long as i keep the same mods?Cost?