PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive gone?

WA 2 FST
05-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Just noticed this AM that the truck will not shift into OD like normal. All the other gears shift nice and quick at part throttle, but from 3 to OD I have to completely let off the gas...and then its like the converter unlocks is all it is. Once I step back on the gas (say at 50mph) the revs come up and I believe its in 3rd gear.

Every now and then it will shift into OD, but not quick like it normally does.

The trans fluid level is fine, the color is right, and there is no burned smell to it. I have a FTVB in the truck, so I am going to pull that and reinstall the stocker and see if that could be it.

It almost seems like a "throttle valve" problem (needs adjustment), but since these are electronically controlled transmissions, that isn't it.

Yesterday I did have it up to ~110 WOT in 3rd, but I let off the throttle before it shifted into OD. I wouldn't _think_ that would have hurt it. ???

Oh...and 9300 miles on the truck.

Thoughts?

DamonH
05-02-2005, 01:04 PM
My thoughts are if it's still doin it after you switch valve body's back let the dealer handle that problem. :beer:

WA 2 FST
05-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Damon...

we think alike! :) I'm thinking there's a weak spring or stuck spring in the VB, but unless I can really see it when I pull it out, there's no way for me to test that. I'll just stick the stocker in, and if it works...I'll get a new FTVB. If it doesn't...then off to the dealer it goes.

rickgig
05-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Sorry to hear this...

I am sure you posted up on Gregs board already?

I had a Taurus SHO with an automatic and had it replaced 3 times... but with mine it was 3rd gear that went away.

WA 2 FST
05-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I don't know anything about Greg's board.

But I just finished reinstalling the stock VB and everything is fine (just what I figured).

This is the last time I buy a used driveline part. I went against my better judgement when I purchased it. I'm sure it was taken care of as well as any used part, but I had a FTVB in my '99 L for a long time with no issues, and I've installed new FTVB's in other people's trucks... at least 4x and none of those have ever had issues.

I guess I'll just get a new one. I like the product.

Nuhklz
05-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Contact Tim at Chickenears. He's swapped them out at no charge for others with the same issue.

WA 2 FST
05-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I didn't buy it from him, though.

Nuhklz
05-02-2005, 03:45 PM

It won't matter. If you do a search on NLOC and F150 you'll see that he supports the community this way. He represents Greg Evans and they all come from him.

rickgig
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Wes...

Here's Greg's board.

http://www.nloc.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=452

Mark #2
05-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I am having shifting problems also. FTVB with 16K miles. It throws a shift code error and then goes into limp mode. I guess I will go back to the stock VB and see what happens. I just changed the fluid and everything was clean and normal. I hate doing trans fluid changes.

Mark

xyoung347x
05-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Damon...

we think alike! :) I'm thinking there's a weak spring or stuck spring in the VB, but unless I can really see it when I pull it out, there's no way for me to test that. I'll just stick the stocker in, and if it works...I'll get a new FTVB. If it doesn't...then off to the dealer it goes.
It could be a stuck solenoid, weak spring, or your O/D Band is not engaging. I'm leaning towards O/D Band.

Tex Arcana
05-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Who did you get it from?

WA 2 FST
05-03-2005, 12:04 AM
It could be a stuck solenoid, weak spring, or your O/D Band is not engaging. I'm leaning towards O/D Band.

Since its functioning perfectly now with the stock VB back in place, I believe its safe to say the O/D band is fine.

Tex...I got it local from Terry. It was a used part. Not his fault, but mine. :hammer:

L8 APEX
05-03-2005, 09:11 AM
You can swap the springs into your stock VB and will be back in business. Or I can swap the kit if you are not comfortable with it. It is only 3 springs and a line valve.:tu:

WA 2 FST
05-03-2005, 09:21 AM
Terry,

I figured it was one of the springs that is the problem, that's why I didn't even consider that.

I have installed at least 5 Trans-Go shift kits which are almost identical to this FTVB, so installing the springs and line valve into my stock VB is a piece of cake that I have no problem doing.

So, do you think its actually something wrong with the accumulator itself?

I'd kind of like to keep my stock VB.

L8 APEX
05-03-2005, 09:24 AM
I have never seen a spring fail in less than a decade of use. Usually the valves side load or stick. Or the pressure valve sticks and affects all shifts.

WA 2 FST
05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I figured the OD valve is stuck, or is sticking intermittently b/c that shift was way, way late... or not at all, and extremely soft when it would shift. That was also the reason I thought the spring might be weak.

I didn't look at the thing long (just put it back in the plastic) b/c I only had an hour to do the swap, including jacking the truck, doing it all on my back, and then getting it buttoned up again.
Will I be able to tell if the valve is sticking? Which valve would it be if I'm looking at the accumulator from the back side?

L8 APEX
05-03-2005, 09:54 AM
You can take a pick and move the valves by hand. It is right across from the pressure valve. I will give you a new spring and valve kit for your VB for $85 if you want all new parts.

WA 2 FST
05-03-2005, 10:56 AM
I'll take it apart and see how the valves/sleeves look. As long as there is no abnormal wear on the sleeves, new springs/valve should work fine.

Mark #2
05-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Wes, I think I am having a similiar issue, thanks for all the discussion. I will be pulling my VB tonight and putting the stock one back in. I might just try to get mine swapped out on warrentee.

Mark

Tex Arcana
05-03-2005, 01:16 PM
I figured the OD valve is stuck, or is sticking intermittently b/c that shift was way, way late... or not at all, and extremely soft when it would shift. That was also the reason I thought the spring might be weak.

I didn't look at the thing long (just put it back in the plastic) b/c I only had an hour to do the swap, including jacking the truck, doing it all on my back, and then getting it buttoned up again.
Will I be able to tell if the valve is sticking? Which valve would it be if I'm looking at the accumulator from the back side?

Dang, Wes, you should just open up "Performance Research North", and let us northerners come to you!! :d

Keep us posted, I"m damned interested in the results from this. :tu:

PoorSvtman
05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
I didnt buy my factory tech from anyone. It came out of andrews old truck. It started shifting funky on the 1-2 shift... Contacted greg himself and he sent me a new vb free of charge. Even tho i didnt buy one from him. Still need to send the old one back.

WA 2 FST
05-07-2005, 12:51 PM
You can take a pick and move the valves by hand. It is right across from the pressure valve. I will give you a new spring and valve kit for your VB for $85 if you want all new parts.

Terry, after getting no response from any of the vendors (including Gregg) who claim to help... I will go ahead and take you up on the $85 for parts. The stock shifting sucks compared to enhanced VB, so its either $85 to replace the parts I have now, or buy another Trans-Go shift kit and install it in my stock VB.

Can I just send you certified funds for $90 and have you mail it to me? A drive down to Duncanville is worth paying the extra $5 to me.

Thanks,

-Wes