PDA

View Full Version : Broke drive shaft.

PoorSvtman
05-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Well took my mom out to out back for mothers day, We didnt want to fight the crowds on sunday. Well i get maybe a few lights from my house (green oaks and pleasent ridge) i blip the gas a bit to get on it a tad and to open my moms eyes a bit and well the drive shaft twisted. The joints didnt break, the shaft itself twisted and snaped.

After a few phone calls and people driving by screaming crap at me, pulling up flicking me the bird and tearing ass, and 16yrolds hitting on me, my friend shows up with a tow rope and his huge dodge diesel. I bungeed the shaft up to help keep it from flapping around. Well right before i pulled onto my street it fell out. By the time my friend could turn around and get it, it got ran over a few times.

Thanks to terry and wesman for the supplying a drive shaft so i can get it running tomorow.

Pics will be up tomorow of the flat and twisted drive shaft.

99WhiteBeast
05-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Sorry I was unable to help. Lets see pics of the carnage.

Weren't the 99's/00's steel driveshafts and all others Aluminum?

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 09:04 AM
its ok steve-o. :tu:

02BOLT
05-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Mike, I could be wrong about this, but the lowering of your truck may have contributed to this. Your stuff is LOWWWW! Lower than mine was by far, and even lower than Jeff's. When you lower the truck that much, it can cause the pinion angle to be too severe. It's strange that it broke it where it did though. Usually it's the U-joints that give up first.

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Well when i got on it, the rear end bounced around a bit and then it broke. I also dont have my t-bars on anymore. :throw: I took them off because well the slappers bars dont give to good of a ride.

My truck sits about how jeffs did before the 20s

00Bolt
05-13-2005, 11:35 AM
no driveshaft loop and all that racing you do :nono:

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 11:43 AM
yea yea yea i know.... Im about to buy one lol.........

StormShadow
05-13-2005, 11:44 AM
???:confused: Have you lowered your truck since I've seen it last Mike?

00Bolt
05-13-2005, 11:44 AM
if we meet up tomorrow to take tbars off my truck, u can have mine for free....

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 12:52 PM
yes adam....

Scott unless jeremey is there we can take your bars off. The U bolts for the T-bars that hold the rear end inplace are different than stock. So far jeremey told me hes working tomorow till late afternoon. I have to go to a mini cooper meet with the wife since she just got hers, got to the tms event. So dunno whats going to happen.

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
just went out and took a peek at what was left on the rear end. The u joints tried to give way but no go. They are bent a tad. The weld and where the d/s broke is still on the truck. The weld is fine lol.

Tex Arcana
05-13-2005, 01:07 PM
An off pinion-angle could've contributed, because if the U-joints do'nt have the same angle throughout the range, they develop what's called a "torque-couple" (that is usually cancelled out with equal angles), which could've weakened the driveshaft considerably.

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 01:13 PM
the pinion angle isnt off much at all..... This is do to some nasty wheel hop and the rear end twisting....

If i had the t-bars on this wouldnt have happened. With the t-bars the goodyear f1s would just spin, now the rear end hops all over the place.

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 02:34 PM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/dstwist.JPG

drive shaft after it fell out and i guess it got ran over a few times before my friend could turn around and get it.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/medium/flatds3.JPG

Hope it didnt mess someones car up to bad. I had it held up with 3 bungee cords..

Sixpipes
05-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Dang....for that to happen the back u-joint must have hit the case. :cool:

00Bolt
05-13-2005, 04:58 PM
see because you were too lazy to have a loop, u might have messed up someones ride

PoorSvtman
05-13-2005, 05:02 PM
see because you were too lazy to have a loop, u might have messed up someones ride

Do a few searches on loops and how a drive shaft is held onto the truck then post a reply.

It would have fallen out even with the loop. All the loop dose is keep it from bashing the underside of the truck and in case the front breaks you dont do flips. The drive shaft just slides into the tranny. Its not bolted on like it is on the rear. Only reason i kept it in was i didnt want to drip tanny fluid all over the place.

If it did mess anyones ride up all they have to do is start where it fell out(few tranny fluid spots in the road) and follow the trail of tranny fluid all the way till you end up in front of my house. Which is like 1 street over. If i get a nock on the door ill take responsibility.

Mark #2
05-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Dang....for that to happen the back u-joint must have hit the case. :cool:
Maybe but looking at the pic I think that the u-joint hit itself, see the damage on the yoke.:confused: