PDA

View Full Version : where to get a new motor???

1stlightning
05-18-2005, 08:17 PM
I am new to this site and I am hoping to find someone who knows enough about these Lightnings to help me out. I threw two rods through my block and my extended waranty is not going to cover it. I am going to have to pay someone to redo my motor for me. I think that all I need is the short block and maybe some other parts. I don't think any of the major parts are damaged. I am looking for suggestions on what would be the cheapest way to get my baby back on her feet. Or if anyone knows someone who could rebuild it at a good price?

Thanks for any help guys, and I hope to meet some of you guys sometime.

Brian

True Blue Aggie
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
See Terry at Performance Research. He has a forum here on the website. More than likely he will post up also, but he has built several motors for the L's in town.

SVTLightning50
05-18-2005, 08:23 PM
What year lightning and what mods do you have.They only person around here that rebuilds motors is Terry Cole(L8APEX).But just wondering because the same thing just happend to me as well and now im out a motor.

TP Derrick D
05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Call Terry, and look no farther.

1stlightning
05-19-2005, 10:57 AM
What year lightning and what mods do you have.They only person around here that rebuilds motors is Terry Cole(L8APEX).But just wondering because the same thing just happend to me as well and now im out a motor.

Chris, I feel for you man.:( I have an 01. I bought it as is. I think the lower pully has been changed, air intake, and I'm told an aftermarket TB. I put the Diablo programmer in it.

Does anyone have a # to reach Terry? Is his pricing reasonable?

wesman
05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I am new to this site and I am hoping to find someone who knows enough about these Lightnings to help me out. I threw two rods through my block and my extended waranty is not going to cover it. I am going to have to pay someone to redo my motor for me. I think that all I need is the short block and maybe some other parts. I don't think any of the major parts are damaged. I am looking for suggestions on what would be the cheapest way to get my baby back on her feet. Or if anyone knows someone who could rebuild it at a good price?

Thanks for any help guys, and I hope to meet some of you guys sometime.

Brian

Did you get off the gas and shut down as soon as you noticed the rods threw? If not, I'll bet dollars to donuts that you ahve head damage as well.....it happened to me when i didn't shut it down immediately.

--wes

bobbywade69
05-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Here is Terry's # (214)923-0045

Chris, I feel for you man.:( I have an 01. I bought it as is. I think the lower pully has been changed, air intake, and I'm told an aftermarket TB. I put the Diablo programmer in it.

Does anyone have a # to reach Terry? Is his pricing reasonable?

1stlightning
05-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Did you get off the gas and shut down as soon as you noticed the rods threw? If not, I'll bet dollars to donuts that you ahve head damage as well.....it happened to me when i didn't shut it down immediately.

--wes

I got off the gas but did not shut down right away. The dealership has the engine torn down and from what I understand, there is not any head damage. I will basicaly have the engine loaded in the back of the truck and whoever rebuilds it will be able to tell what is bad and what we can still use. I think that the dealership said that I probably only need the short block and a few extra things. I may do a little extra to it since I am going to loose the extended waranty on it.

SpeedyBolt
05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
What dealership did you take it to?

1stlightning
05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
What dealership did you take it to?

It's at 5 star ford off of 820.

jeff56
05-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Definitely talk to Terry. His pricing is reasonable, but more important is his attention to detail and expertise.

Do you have the black L off of Hightower, just west of Rufe Snow?

1stlightning
05-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Definitely talk to Terry. His pricing is reasonable, but more important is his attention to detail and expertise.

Do you have the black L off of Hightower, just west of Rufe Snow?

Yes, that one is mine. Although it has not been there in 3 weeks.:mad: I will definitely call him if I can't make the waranty people pay for this.

1stlightning
05-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know an estimated price range for a motor?

G'Lightning
05-20-2005, 09:09 AM
I would assume in the 3500 dollar range give or take a little. JDM and JLP sells for around 3400 to 3700 i dont know Terry's rate but im sure he can beat that. :)