PDA

View Full Version : LFP Long Tubes

SpeedyBolt
05-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Does anybody have the L.T.'s form LFP on thier trucks? I was looking and all the differant brands of L.t.'s today and it seems they are all pretty much the same except the LFP brand. I think the Tri-y design of the LFP headers would make alot more torque the just the standard 4 into 1 collector. What do you guy's think?

cpeapea
05-25-2005, 04:57 AM
our motors dont need any more torque, just higher rpm hp. but it depends on the purpose of the truck as well.

wishihadone
05-25-2005, 07:37 PM
our motors dont need any more torque, just higher rpm hp. but it depends on the purpose of the truck as well.

WHAT?????....the more torque the quicker it is...torque is better then any kind of HP....High RPM hp is what you want in a light car like my mustang..trucks need AS MUCH torque as you can give them.

like a saying ive seen before on another forum

Horsepower sells cars..Torque wins races - Carrol Shelby

SpeedyBolt
05-25-2005, 08:05 PM
That's pretty much my thinking on it too. The more torque the easier it would be to move this 5k pound truck!

BLACKSUNSHINE
05-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Yeah I agree more torque the better, Although unless you up the boost to al least a 6# the headers are going to loose backpressure and loose torque. My truck seems to be getting lower torque numbers than most with the same mods (520 rwtq) possibly due to the headers...Or I might just be talking out of my a$$...i dunno.

cpeapea
05-27-2005, 05:04 AM
heres a good example. Take Ron's truck, JDM gave him a special cam grind to take away some low end and give some upper hp. why else would we need a different set of cams anyhow? the help adjust your rpm range other than just add power. most folks want a steady flat torque range all the way across the band, not something that will peak and fall off in the higher rpms where the motor should be making the most hp. even a set of heads of a ported lower and blower will adjust the rpm range to a higher level. of course its not like we need something that will give us hp in the 6-8k range or anything, just more likely 3-6k. if we wanted all torque motors we would all be running diesels with transbreaks running 11's with badass 60fts but with only 80mph trap speeds.

BLACKSUNSHINE
05-27-2005, 08:14 AM
I agree Gavin, but given what we have to work with (stocker parts like cam / heads, un-ported blower...) wouldn't it make more sense to shoot for a increase of torque at the lower rpm range. I can see that when you start porting and have a built block your peak hp and torque range would change significantly...so it would make sense to have a custom cam grind to keep the hp number up at higher rpm's. Or maybe im just talking out of my a$$. knana

cpeapea
05-27-2005, 04:06 PM
hah, racing is mostly talking out of your ass, lol

but seriously though, i guess it all depends on the setup, but a flatter smoother tq range is always best. thats part of the reason a twin screw way out performs the roots, they will do better in the upper rpms. same thing with a well matched turbo setup (notice i said well matched)

as far as the header, try it, it may work

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-01-2005, 12:57 PM
hah, racing is mostly talking out of your ass, lol

Naaaaa you were there you saw the SRT-10 race

Tex Arcana
06-01-2005, 01:52 PM
The problem with too much torque is getting it to the ground: with waht we already have, it's not getting to the ground, resulting in a nice smokey burnout. :burnout: Lots of fun, but does absolutely no good for launching.

Look at it this way: torque gets you off the line; horsepower keeps ya going. Another way to look at it: horsepower is how fast the motor can accelerate: the faster the motor can accelerate, the faster the truck accelerates.

So... since we already have prodigious amounts of torque, what we need is more horsepower, but without trading off the flat torque curve, and (as Wes T. would put it) the area under the torque curve. :tu:

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-02-2005, 09:25 AM
The problem with too much torque is getting it to the ground: with waht we already have, it's not getting to the ground, resulting in a nice smokey burnout. :burnout: Lots of fun, but does absolutely no good for launching.

Look at it this way: torque gets you off the line; horsepower keeps ya going. Another way to look at it: horsepower is how fast the motor can accelerate: the faster the motor can accelerate, the faster the truck accelerates.

So... since we already have prodigious amounts of torque, what we need is more horsepower, but without trading off the flat torque curve, and (as Wes T. would put it) the area under the torque curve. :tu:

Ahhhh yes very wise...makes sense. :tu: